Weight Loss Support - Anyone else hate breakfast foods?

View Full Version : Anyone else hate breakfast foods?

banananutmuffin
08-04-2011, 09:11 AM
I spent most of my life as a non-breakfast eater. I just usually wasn't hungry until noon (probably because I didn't wake up until 11am lol). I also have always had a distaste for breakfast foods.

I dislike oatmeal, cold cereal, pancakes, waffles, eggs for breakfast (like them any other time though), sausage and fruit. About the only traditional breakfast food I like is bagels and cream cheese (sooooooo not clean).

When I was a kid, my mom would beg me to eat breakfast before school. To please her, I'd eat chicken noodle soup or spaghetti before the bus got there. lol

These days, I've decided to stop fighting my dislike of breakfast foods. Instead, I eat a chicken sandwich or egg salad sandwich or turkey chili for breakfast.

Anyone else out there like me?

indiblue
08-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Asian cultures eat very savory breakfasts, similar to the types of foods you're referring to. Breakfasts are full of meat, rice, soups, noodles, etc. In most countries in Asia, breakfasts are heavier and less sweet than what Americans/Westerners are accustomed to.

I also don't like eating breakfast, so I don't. There's nothing wrong with eating fewer times throughout the day :)

berryblondeboys
08-04-2011, 09:38 AM
I can't handle fats and meat/dairy proteins when I get up. WHile I love breakfast foods, I can't handle them in the morning. So, I usually just make myself a protein shake or grab a protein bar when I start to get hungry and before I work out (I am not one who can workout on an empty stomach).

There are no 'rules' on what you should and shouldn't eat or do for breakfast. So do what you want!

abluvion
08-04-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm amused that your name is banananutmuffin and you hate breakfast foods :lol:

I agree - no rules on what you can eat for breakfast! I am a breakfast kind of person, but you can eat anything. Have some leftovers, or some soup. I've had broccoli for breakfast. Do what works for you!

fitmom
08-04-2011, 09:42 AM
I am the exact opposite, lol. If I could eat breakfast foods all day long I would, seriously. But who says you can't have a sandwich for breakfast? I don't know where these ridiculous 'rules' got started anyway. I have scrambled egg whites for lunch and sometimes for dinner. When I'm not feeling well, I'll make the kids oatmeal for dinner. I say, do what you want. As long as you feed your body properly, that's the most important thing IMO.

happygirl5
08-04-2011, 09:47 AM
:) I'd suggest keep on trying different kinds of sandwiches and cereals (healthy ones) until yo find the one you enjoy eating the most! i finally found out that apple cinnamon flavored cereals and skimmed milk, followed by a warm cup of nescafe is the perfect breakfast for me. i'm not the kind who can have an apple or a cucmber for breakfast :)

banananutmuffin
08-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Ok, you guys have helped me feel free from the convention of scrambled eggs before noon! ;)

I think for breakfast this morning I'm going to have sushi rice, nori and some stir fry steak... Yum!

RJ 1980
08-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Yup, I'm the same way. I don't eat breakfast anymore, in fact I usually don't eat until the afternoon b/c I'm not hungry in the am. (The only time I like cereal is when I'm pregnant for some reason, heehee!) I make pancakes and eggs/bacon for my husband but I don't eat it myself. I would MUCH rather save my cals for lunch and dinner types of foods!

BakingChick
08-04-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm the opposite also. I could eat cold cereal all day, for every meal. Absolutely love munching on cereal. But that's my problem. It's easy to go overboard on corn syrupy cereal (mine of choice right now is raisen bran crunch...yum!)
If you like bagels and cream cheese so much, I suggest making your own whole wheat bagel (ridding the processed from the store) and using fat free cream cheese. I see nothing wrong with that, especially if it's what you like. It will fill you up, and wake up your metabolism.

But if it's "real" food you crave, go for it. There's been many a mornings where I wake up to a salad. Since I crave breakfast food all day, if I wake up to a non breakfast meal, I tend to eat better all day because I skipped the food that causes me to overeat in the first place.

KatieC87
08-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Even though I L-O-V-E breakfast foods, I never eat them. I don't wake up in time to make pancakes, french toast, bacon, sausage, gravy and biscuits, etc. My mom didn't either when I was growing up, so she would sometimes cook a gigantic breakfast feast for dinner. I don't eat traditional breakfast foods right now because it's too calorie-rich. It all tastes so good, but I don't need it right now.

Instead, I eat a Special K chocolate delight protein bar for breakfast. It tastes like a candy bar, keeps me full for a while, and is easy to grab on the go.

bitetoobreakkskin
08-04-2011, 10:17 AM
(The only time I like cereal is when I'm pregnant for some reason, heehee!)

this is almost all i ate during my pregnancy...cereal, and peaches. DH says he would be ok if he never had to cut another peach in his life :)

I dont like breakfast either! I have gotten used to eating, but its generally something small, and not eggs-blech!

CorinneIrene
08-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Usually I'll have something like a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast. (Natural peanut butter, and I LOVE adding wheat germ to it). This morning I had honey on it too, because my honey just crystallized and I love crystallized honey, ha. I have to say, my absolute favorite breakfast meal is a turkey sandwich. So satisfying!

If I'm having a craving for pancakes or french toast, I'll have them for dinner! This is rare. I think it may have to do with the fact that I'm too lazy to make them in the morning!

philana
08-04-2011, 10:47 AM
I so can relate! I don't like muesli. I don't like sweet stuff in the AM. And I don't like yoghurt. However - I have finally discovered Greek Yogurt. The full fat stuff. I eat 2 tablespoons with a fuji apple cut into pieces and a teaspoon of sugar and I am good to go. It's a mini portion but it gets m body started, it tastes great so food doesn't feel like such a chore in the morning. And by the time it's 11 I'll start considering more foods.

Anyhow - don't stik to any convention of what to eat and when. Let's be honest now - those conventions is what got many americans (and others) overweight to begin with. Fast food is also a convention. Birthday cake on a bday. Massive amounts of food on a holiday. It's all conventions - but if you take into consideration what your body actually needs it's all about a certain amount and type of carbs, fats and proteine each day. How you get those in matters none.

PreciousMissy
08-04-2011, 10:52 AM
People at work look at me weird because I'll eat anything I want for breakfast...salad, last night's leftovers, a sandwich...who says it has to be eggs and bacon for breakfast...although I do love my breakfast foods :)

rainydays
08-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Many times, I prefer a turkey sandwich over cereal in the morning, but it depends on the day. I say as long as it's healthy, eat what you want when you want. :)

philana
08-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Are sandwiches such a weird thing for breakfast in the states? Here most people eat bread for breakfast and it has a variety of things on it, from chocolate paste or sprinkles to meatloaf, chicken, ham...

fitmom
08-04-2011, 02:27 PM
philana: Sandwiches aren't the normal American breakfast. It consists of eggs, pancakes, waffles, french toast, cold cereal, hot cereal, sausage, ham, bacon, pastries, muffins, toast, bagels, etc. No wonder Americans are overweight, lol. I spent time in London, England about 25 years ago (when you were just a baby, lol) and they scoffed when my sister and I asked for an American breakfast. They told us they don't eat like that. Suffice it to say, we didn't ask again. ;)

berryblondeboys
08-04-2011, 03:07 PM
philana: Sandwiches aren't the normal American breakfast. It consists of eggs, pancakes, waffles, french toast, cold cereal, hot cereal, sausage, ham, bacon, pastries, muffins, toast, bagels, etc. No wonder Americans are overweight, lol. I spent time in London, England about 25 years ago (when you were just a baby, lol) and they scoffed when my sister and I asked for an American breakfast. They told us they don't eat like that. Suffice it to say, we didn't ask again. ;)

Well, we also eat fruit - cantaloupe, berries and of course drink orange juice, coffee, and milk.

April Snow
08-04-2011, 03:08 PM

yes, because they eat MORE! A traditional English "full breakfast" includes eggs, bacon and/or sausage, toast or black pudding, fried/grilled tomatoes and baked beans, plus usually extras on top of all that. It's different from a continental breakfast although that is what gets served in some hotels.

xxkaleidoscopic
08-04-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm not a breakfast fan, either, and so I just don't eat breakfast food! No rules on what you have to eat. ^^

theox
08-04-2011, 04:30 PM

And yogurt, fresh fruit, milk, juice, etc. Nothing is wrong with any of those foods, as long as they're healthily prepared and eaten in moderation. My great-aunt, who is almost 80, eats a small bagel with cream cheese and lox, fresh fruit, coffee, and a cookie for breakfast every day, and she's at a healthy weight and in great shape for her age. This is because she watches what she eats at all her meals and stays active. I did not get within spitting distance of 300 lbs. because of what I was eating for breakfast, as poor as my choices often were (e.g., microwave pastries, biscuits and gravy, red flannel hash, no fruit). I got that way because I was eating poorly at every meal, snacking on a lot of junk food, and being relatively inactive. Hot cereals, eggs, yogurt, and fruit (not all at the same time) are often mentioned as go-to foods in the articles I've read about eating healthy.

Personally, I like the Jimmy Dean low-fat sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwiches with a little bit of all-natural grape jelly, some fresh fruit on the side, and a big glass of water. I can eat that as part of a health(ier) diet, feel full, and continue to lose weight. When I lose more weight and need fewer calories I'll probably switch to cooked egg whites and/or yogurt with my fruit. I occasionally still have things like biscuits and gravy or hash, but I eat that sort of thing in moderation now, and I know how to work it into my diet without having a net caloric gain.

I don't know much about Continental breakfasts, but a full English breakfast wouldn't do much for the waistline of anybody who ate one everyday and wasn't extremely active - of course, most English people don't eat a full English breakfast every day, just like most Americans aren't sitting down to one of the disgusting platter-type meals served up at Denny's or IHOP.

Imannott
08-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I am a non-breakfast person also, I like breakfast foods just not at what is considered the "right breakfast time".

m3k
08-04-2011, 05:12 PM
I went through a period of life where my only option for both breakfast and lunch was coffee. Long story.

Now, I'm sort of trained to go through the day not eating. Although, what would happen is that I wouldn't eat until say... 4PM, and then I would binge then and at dinner. It wasn't the best lifestyle, but food couldn't be afforded...

Like I said, long story.

So I too wake up usually not wanting breakfast. It's not that I don't love breakfast foods (I really do, all kinds), but usually breakfast foods that are fast are really heavy. I like to eat something light. What I've been doing at the suggestion of some members here is having my morning coffee with a yogurt and a fiber bar. That way, I get some more energy for the day, am able to eat a good lunch, and stay more satisfied.

But hey, breakfast doesn't have to be eggs and bacon, it can be anything! Heck, I've eaten hamburgers for breakfast before.

(Cheese danishes are my weakness though. However, each one is something like 400-500 cals. Eek! But they are soo delicious. I save that craving for when I'm at a hotel. They ALWAYS have delicious cheese danishes.)

rawbanana
08-04-2011, 11:23 PM
I LOVE dinner foods for breakfast. For the longest time now, my normal breakfast is 1c of brown rice and on top of it I put 1/2 a can of sardines (the kind packed in olive oil, I warm it up first), I lightly salt it and then SAVOR every. tasty. bite. =) I used to love chili, pizza, nachos, tacos, pizza rolls and the like for brekky, but I am trying to eat more 'whole foods' =)

tuende
08-05-2011, 12:52 AM
I seriously LOVE breakfast!!! Although, this probably has to do with the fact that this is when I eat more carbs than I do at any other time during the day (needless to say, I also love carbs). And the fact that I grew up in a house where my sister and I would beg to eat breakfast for dinner (yeah, screw weird cultural food rules about what to eat when ;)).

Yum...I'm already excited for the morning!

kelly315
08-05-2011, 12:56 AM
I like breakfast foods sometimes- just not for breakfast. I'll generally just eat something that would normally be called lunch for breakfast. As far as I'm concerned, as long as it's relatively healthy and fits within my calorie goal, I'm happy with it.

cortandcooper
08-05-2011, 02:21 AM
I like breakfast foods sometimes, but rarely eat them unless I've had to go out to eat or someone else is making them (like when I visit my parents). I don't like waking up in the morning and then dealing with making a huge meal of bacon and eggs or anything else. I do have pancakes sometimes, but it only takes about 5 minutes of work (I use a mix, the fiber one pancake mix). I prefer to have an instant breakfast and fruit, or something similar. Something filling, quick, and not greasy.

canadianwoman
08-05-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm amused that your name is banananutmuffin and you hate breakfast foods :lol:

I agree - no rules on what you can eat for breakfast! I am a breakfast kind of person, but you can eat anything. Have some leftovers, or some soup. I've had broccoli for breakfast. Do what works for you!

I've had salad for breakfast. This morning I am going to have a chicken thigh and a small peice of leftover steak. Some days I have one or two eggs. Other days I have had soup and a peice of fruit.

serendipity907
08-05-2011, 06:50 PM
I don't really like typical breakfast foods on a regular basis. Lately I've just decided I'm going to eat whatever the fudge I feel like. Usually some sandwichy and some milk for convenience, but I'll have a baked potato and cottage cheese if I have time :p

Maybe it's a bit odd, but on my 'relax' days I will make myself a proper breakfast of fresh squuezed OJ, buttered granary toast and a Tesco Finest fancy yoghurt:p. I loooove this but I just couldn't stomach it every morning.

I don't think it really matters as long as it is healthy, just some foods are good to eat together to get the maximum nutritional value from them.

Esofia
08-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Right now I'm mostly eating porridge for breakfast, but I have gone through phases of:

miso soup (Japanese) with veg, tofu and fresh noodles (these days I eat it with red rice instead of noodles, takes longer but is healthier);

congee (Chinese) made from a Thai rice/quinoa/sesame seed mix and with frozen Savoy cabbage, edamame beans and carrots (not the quickest but easy, I make up tubs of the rice mix and then just grab stuff from the freezer), then seasoned with whatever I fancy that day;

or Israeli-style salad with diced cucumber, tomato and so forth.

I've never encountered anyone who eats a traditional English or Scottish breakfast every day, it's usually an occasional thing and plenty of people never eat that sort of thing at all. Mind you, there could be hordes of Brits out there eating all of that and I just haven't met them, but considering how expensive and time-consuming it is alone, I doubt it. Just because those foods are on the menu at hotels doesn't mean that everyone eats all of them at once.