Weight Loss Support - Sick of buying new clothes!

View Full Version : Sick of buying new clothes!

ChickieChicks
08-03-2011, 08:58 PM
My husband thinks I'm crazy...that this should be fun. And it was at first, but my lower half keeps radically changing every month.

We have moved so many times in my 6 years of being heavy, that I eventually just donated all of my smaller clothes. I don't want to keep spending money on this stuff. It's lasting like 4-6 weeks!

I've tried Thrift stores and apparently everyone else is going there, too, b/c they have no shorts. Wal-Mart has keep in-betweens, but I just got home from scouring the racks and everyone in my town must be my current size. LOL

UGH!!! Just a vent. I AM happy about losing, but I just want to get things I really LIKE and can KEEP!

haggis
08-03-2011, 10:18 PM
I know what you mean - I am in the process of moving, and have just donated some nice clothes to the charity shop because I refuse to stay this size any more. On the other hand, I wonder why I hold on to clothes that fit me when I was 40 lbs lighter. Hope is a wonderful thing, but I would need much less closet space, and many fewer clothes, if I would just get to my "correct" size and stay there!

xxkaleidoscopic
08-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Yeah, understandable. I'm avoiding buying unless I have to, because I don't want to buy "temporary" clothes.

I guess I'd just buy as few items as possible?

berryblondeboys
08-03-2011, 10:27 PM
I try to find things at thrift stores but it's really difficult to sift through the over crowded racks to find your size. It's worse now that I'm out of plus sizes. That selection was always small, so it was easy enough to go through, but now there are like 4 PACKED racks of 0s-14s and with nothing having size tags on the outside of the pant, you could spend over an hour just trying to save a few bucks! Who has time and the patience for that?

heathermichigan
08-03-2011, 10:32 PM
I hear that! It's so annoying to have to buy new clothes all the time. I just buy a few bottoms at a time--this summer, I always have a handful of shirts, a pair of jeans, a couple skirts and a pair or two of shorts that fit me at a time. I mostly wear dresses, partly because they can fit for longer and depending on style, you can always add a belt :)

rubidoux
08-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Omg, I am LOVING buying new clothes! I did only get to wear one pair of pants a few times before they became too big to stay up when I ran, but I think I should be able to wear them for quite a while with a belt. I don't buy a full wardrobe or anywhere near it for every size. So far I got 4 pairs of XL underwear, 2 pairs of XL exercise pants, a pair of capris in 18, and a pair of capris in 16 and two 2X tops. I have also sewn myself a couple of skirts.

But I'm still able to wear just about everything I wore 35 pounds ago and most of it looks better on me now. I have one pair of pants and one top that are too ridiculous to wear, but everything else is fine and I think it will be for a while. One really exciting thing was that I was looking for an old pair of jeans from years ago, thought I knew exactly where they were, but it turned out to be a couple of pairs that DH had packed away, and they fit me perfectly! Anyway, most of my wardrobe is 3X even though I am technically about a size 14 now, but I love it that my clothes drape so nicely on me now. :)

Lovely
08-04-2011, 12:20 AM
Buy a good quality belt! =)

sheramama
08-04-2011, 12:32 AM
Hit the clearance racks. They are my friend :)

berryblondeboys
08-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Buy a good quality belt! =)

Belts don't cut it. It doesn't help with the hanging crotch. Geez I hate that!

April Snow
08-04-2011, 12:43 AM
yoga pants

Lovely
08-04-2011, 01:02 AM

It's not perfect, but I got from size 24 - 18 the first time around with a belt.

I just kept pulling the pants higher and cinching them tighter :lol:

However, thinking on it, people should probably refrain from taking fashion advice from me :o

mlgibson
08-04-2011, 01:31 AM
My shirts just seem to fit better. My pants are getting big though! I am holding off buying new ones for as long as possible.

milmin2043
08-04-2011, 01:36 AM

This is so true and made me giggle. The hanging crotch on clothes has always been my problem. Until a few years ago when a friend of mine basically did a makeover on me and got me to measure the rise of pants when buying. I hate trying stuff on at the store. I guess I am short from the belly button to the crotch, so when losing, my pants looked ridiculous. Like I was smuggling a ham down there. LOL

uwfan27
08-04-2011, 02:14 AM
I had the opposite problem, when I was gaining, all of my clothes started to gradually get too tight! :( I caved and bought a few larger sizes but I absolutely refused to buy more than a couple items (mostly pants). It left me with a work-pants rotation of just 2! Thankfully, I kept all my "skinny" clothes; I had the confidence I'd be wearing them again someday! It's nice to be losing finally and be able to "closet shop". :)

Do you have any close friends who are similar sizes that would let you borrow from them as you change shape? Or, since it's summer, cute dresses are in season and they tend to fit a larger span of sizes. Just some ideas!

redbutton
08-04-2011, 02:55 AM
I agree about the yoga pants, they'll stick with you for a while. Buying other clothing in this kind of material might last you a bit longer than with other kinds material.

People sell clothing in lots on Ebay by size. For example, a woman might have a size 16 clothing lot that includes 3 shirts, 2 pants, 1 sweater, etc. You can get a whole wardrobe at once, and on the cheap!

gagalu
08-04-2011, 05:56 AM
i hear ya. i hate buying clothes that aren't for my goal weight!

ChickieChicks
08-04-2011, 08:45 AM
That for some great tips!

Shirts fit just fine. I am SUCH a pear-shape, so I went down a coupl eof shirt sizes at first, but the bottom is the big difference.

LOL about saggy crotch pants. SO TRUE! I took in some shorts I bought take most, pinning them at the waist. But they still looked crazy b/c they were tight at thge waist and swimming everywhere else. I felt like a cartoon version of a safari explorer.

envelope
08-04-2011, 09:05 AM
This summer I have been lucky enough to get most of my shorts / capris from my mom's spare closet. At the end of Aug. I have to start dressing business casual and I am not looking foward to having to get clothes for that. If any of my capris still fit then, I will be able to get away with them and a few new tops. When I am forced to buy more clothes, I plan on getting 3 or 4 slacks (1 or 2 tan or khaki, black, and gray) and a variety of diff tops I can wear with the slacks.

berryblondeboys
08-04-2011, 09:22 AM
This summer I have been lucky enough to get most of my shorts / capris from my mom's spare closet. At the end of Aug. I have to start dressing business casual and I am not looking foward to having to get clothes for that. If any of my capris still fit then, I will be able to get away with them and a few new tops. When I am forced to buy more clothes, I plan on getting 3 or 4 slacks (1 or 2 tan or khaki, black, and gray) and a variety of diff tops I can wear with the slacks.

I have ZERO things for fall/winter. Most of my wardrobe was from when I weighed 265. I had a few newer pieces from when I weighed 255. For summer I found a few things at goodwill (nicer skorts), but most of my wardrobe is workout clothes - all but three t-shirts are dri fit shirts and I have like 5 dri fit skorts that I wear around the house and for working out.

I have one pair of jeans in a size 14 that will fit for a tiny bit more (I'm heading to 12s and will probably be there by fall). and one pair of slacks from 13 years ago in a size 14, but again, those are getting lose. Sweaters? Long sleeve shirts? I have ZIP that will fit. Yet, I won't be to my goal weight yet this fall which means buying more interim clothes. I refuse to wear crap because crappy clothes makes me feel sloppy and crappy, but I also don't want to spend a fortune. I probably should start scouring goodwill and look for other consignment like shops. Egad I don't want to go shopping!

All my skorts I bought this summer are getting loose too, but because of the type of material (stretchy), they've been able to work for me for 4 months already and will be able to work for awhile yet. It will just get too cold to wear them for other times!

KatieC87
08-04-2011, 10:31 AM
I haven't even STARTED buying smaller clothes, and I'm already tired of it. ;) I'm semi-minimalist, especially where my clothes are concerned, so I was really devastated when my one pair of blue jeans got too big. I made an exercise challenge for August, and my husband promised to buy me a new pair of Gap jeans if I meet my challenge.

I got rid of my smaller clothes because 1) I went through a crrrrazy minimalist purging of stuff and 2) I was getting depressed looking into a closet full of clothes that I couldn't fit into. Now I have big clothes for fall/winter and small clothes for spring/summer (thought it would be "motivating" to buy smaller sizes than I could comfortably wear but I can fit into them now so yay).

But I don't want to buy any new clothes until I'm at my goal weight/size. What's the point? I won't be wearing them for long. I'm lucky though. My mom is at my goal size (8 - though I might be interested in getting to a 6), so she gives me her cast-offs to look through before donating them to Goodwill. (She even said it was easier to get rid of stuff this last time around because I'm close to her size and will keep more than I give away.) So I'm getting new to me clothes without spending any money, and Mom is getting more free space in her closet. Win, win! ;)

sontaikle
08-04-2011, 10:53 AM
I've just been buying a couple things here and there from the clearance racks. Luckily my mother is now a 10 and gave me many of her 12s at the start of the summer....but they're now too big!

I really want to wait until I get to my goal size of 6, but I'm so stoked to finally shop in the regular sections that I can't help it sometimes :)

ChickieChicks
08-04-2011, 10:55 AM
I have ZERO things for fall/winter. Most of my wardrobe was from when I weighed 265. I had a few newer pieces from when I weighed 255. For summer I found a few things at goodwill (nicer skorts), but most of my wardrobe is workout clothes - all but three t-shirts are dri fit shirts and I have like 5 dri fit skorts that I wear around the house and for working out.

I have one pair of jeans in a size 14 that will fit for a tiny bit more (I'm heading to 12s and will probably be there by fall). and one pair of slacks from 13 years ago in a size 14, but again, those are getting lose. Sweaters? Long sleeve shirts? I have ZIP that will fit. Yet, I won't be to my goal weight yet this fall which means buying more interim clothes. I refuse to wear crap because crappy clothes makes me feel sloppy and crappy, but I also don't want to spend a fortune. I probably should start scouring goodwill and look for other consignment like shops. Egad I don't want to go shopping!

All my skorts I bought this summer are getting loose too, but because of the type of material (stretchy), they've been able to work for me for 4 months already and will be able to work for awhile yet. It will just get too cold to wear them for other times!

I'd start looking now for Fall consigned stuff. It always helps out of season. It stinks to have to guesstimate what size you'll be, but prior to a couple of weeks ago, I, too, had NOTHING for cooler weather. Not even 1 pair of pants to my name. LOL I can kind of see where I'm trending and have been buying cheap things for fall. NO pants yet, since those are super tricky. But shirts, camis, sweaters, etc.

ChickieChicks
08-04-2011, 10:56 AM
I haven't even STARTED buying smaller clothes, and I'm already tired of it. ;) I'm semi-minimalist, especially where my clothes are concerned, so I was really devastated when my one pair of blue jeans got too big. I made an exercise challenge for August, and my husband promised to buy me a new pair of Gap jeans if I meet my challenge.

I got rid of my smaller clothes because 1) I went through a crrrrazy minimalist purging of stuff and 2) I was getting depressed looking into a closet full of clothes that I couldn't fit into. Now I have big clothes for fall/winter and small clothes for spring/summer (thought it would be "motivating" to buy smaller sizes than I could comfortably wear but I can fit into them now so yay).

But I don't want to buy any new clothes until I'm at my goal weight/size. What's the point? I won't be wearing them for long. I'm lucky though. My mom is at my goal size (8 - though I might be interested in getting to a 6), so she gives me her cast-offs to look through before donating them to Goodwill. (She even said it was easier to get rid of stuff this last time around because I'm close to her size and will keep more than I give away.) So I'm getting new to me clothes without spending any money, and Mom is getting more free space in her closet. Win, win! ;)

That is a win-win. Maybe I should stalk one of my size 6/8 friends and get their clothes. LOL ;)

runningfromfat
08-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Buying new clothes for me is so stressful! Luckily DH was able to go to the states recently and bought me a bunch of mediums in plain t-shirts and yoga pants (he has zero sense of fashion so that was about all that he could manage :lol: ). However, the shirts are already somewhat baggy on me (although the pants fit perfectly)!

When it comes to bras I just alter my old ones myself. I haven't lost much at all in my cup size but my band size has gone down A LOT so I cut off the extra inches from the band and keep wearing them. ;) I tried buying some new ones but had to order all of them from abroad because my cup size is so large and only one fit (sort of and really it should be a cup size or two bigger :( ) so from now on I'm just going to alter my own until I have a chance to go to the states or Europe and can actually try some on in person at a specialty shop.

The sizes here are very different compared to the states/Europe so it's been hard to find things that fit my body top (curvy with a large chest). To fit my chest I have to actually go up quite a few sizes and then the waist is too big.

Now, I did find ONE consignment shop that carried reasonably priced items but most of the clothes there were in size 2-6 (US sizes) and I'm about a US size 10-12 (depending on the brand) so I could only find a few items and one dress I still need to take out the bust a bit but am not sure how to do it yet. :dizzy:

It stinks because I work so I need some semi-decent clothes and the only thing I have right now is a black jacket in size 14, which I'm just swimming in! I do have some pants from my skinny days but they are old and I've had to patch them up more than once because they are made from relatively cheap material. PLUS my old "skinny" clothes don't fit me the same way as they did prepregnancy (because I have my lovely built in muffin top now!) so they end up being tight in the waist and lose in the butt/thighs, ugh! I don't have many "skinny" clothes left, though, because we moved so I'm still try to make these work for another 10lbs or so...

rainydays
08-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Like I was smuggling a ham down there. LOL

:rofl:

Wannabehealthy
08-04-2011, 11:53 AM
I guess I am a clothes hoarder. I don't throw my clothes away when they get too tight. I have them in space bags by size. I go through them every now and then and get rid of things that I wouldn't wear even if I lost weight. Most are basics that don't really go out of style. I also don't get rid of my fat clothes. If you think of how bad it is to have to buy new clothes when you lose, just think, it's twice as bad when you have to buy new clothes when you gained. I have learned that getting rid of them doesn't really stop you from gaining. So I hang onto a few things to get me through a rough period when I gain a few back. Buying new ones is like giving in to the gain.

Carol

H82Sweat
08-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I suppose the fact that I can pull off all my pants without unfastening them means I should get new pants.

But with 23 lbs to go (possibly more, we'll see) the idea of going shopping for "interim pants" makes my skin crawl.

I don't like shopping to begin with. Shopping for clothes I know are only going to last a couple months makes it that much worse.

Wannabehealthy
08-04-2011, 12:12 PM
I suppose the fact that I can pull off all my pants without unfastening them means I should get new pants.

LOL I always used to say that you know you're too fat when the elastic breaks in your pants and they still don't fall down.

Carol

Lori Bell
08-04-2011, 12:20 PM
The clothes thing is the number one reason I never "cheated" during my weight loss. I'm so cheap that I didn't want to linger in a clothing size for very long. I didn't want to "need" more than 2-3 outfits in a certain plus size. Fortunately I had saved many of the clothes I had purchased for the ride up, but most of them were cheap and pitiful, because, you know, who wants to buy nice fat clothes when you don't "plan" on staying there very long...unfortunately, I just kept going up.. It's so depressing to even think about it!

Oh and 2 seasons in one size...lol No way! I knew I didn't want to buy shorts and sweaters both in the same size, so I had to be the next size down before I would even consider getting something new for the current season! So, after dropping 13 dress sizes, (from 30 to a 6) I ended up still with enough clothes to fill 4 large storage totes...Which I just very recently finally donated to the nearest charity.

The great thing is now...every single thing on my side of the closet, (a big walk in that I share with dh) fits! There are a few dresses left in an 8 and a 10 but they still look nice and are black for funerals and functions where black is appropriate.

Bamber33
08-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Berry,

You mentioned not having the patience to sort through and look for sizes. Our Goodwills here actually tag them on the outside with color coded tags that have the size on them! I thought that was really neat!

tuende
08-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Shopping in thrift stores is definitely an art form. And one that takes a lot of time and patience! I would say 90% of my clothes are second-hand. I always thought it was something I would do to get by with temporary clothes, but I find such awesome stuff that I'm sure I'll continue, even when I get to goal. I'm kind of cheap anyway, so spending hardly any money on clothes gives me the option to spend my money on things like organic food and a gym membership. (I will add that living in the same town as Microsoft also helps the thrift-shopping scenario! People donate NICE, hardly used things. My sister got some Citizens jeans that look brand new for like $20 at Goodwill last week!)

berryblondeboys
08-04-2011, 12:35 PM
I guess I am a clothes hoarder. I don't throw my clothes away when they get too tight. I have them in space bags by size. I go through them every now and then and get rid of things that I wouldn't wear even if I lost weight. Most are basics that don't really go out of style. I also don't get rid of my fat clothes. If you think of how bad it is to have to buy new clothes when you lose, just think, it's twice as bad when you have to buy new clothes when you gained. I have learned that getting rid of them doesn't really stop you from gaining. So I hang onto a few things to get me through a rough period when I gain a few back. Buying new ones is like giving in to the gain.

Carol

We've moved too many times to keep clothes that don't fit. I just saved a select few that I really wanted to be able to wear again. The irony? They are out of season for when I'll be able to wear them! I have a summer dress that fit my in March, but is too big now. I have a winter dress that fits me now, but will probably be too big come winter. So much for saving them, huh?

Lori Bell
08-04-2011, 12:44 PM

Carol

Carol, I am the same. I never got rid of clothes I out-grew, and for several years I didn't get rid of clothes I shrunk out of. I had "been there, done that" way to many times. People would tell me to purge my fat clothes so that I wouldn't be tempted to gain weight back...well crap, that didn't work. Over the years I gave away so many clothes prematurely and then would hang my head in shame and run into wal-mart to get yet another bigger pair of cheap pants to tide me over. I am also amazed at how often people here on 3FC get rid of them so quickly, when almost daily 2-3 people come back who have "gained it all back".

Nope, I saved my fat clothes until I had nearly reached my 2 year maintaince anniversary, and still I had a very difficult time with it...

ItsMyTurn
08-04-2011, 01:03 PM
I have been lucky - I went down a size and a half so far, but my good friend had medical issues and has gone up a size and a half-ish... so we swapped clothes. New to me (we both work corporate settings, so both have really nice things) and didn't cost me a penny. Plus right now, Kohl's is running 80% off clearance, and there is a coupon available for 20% off of that... and then going through a certain browser you get another 4% off of total price. This would be how I shop, LOL. Being only income (and not a high income) for a family of 5 has taught me to think every dollar is precious. We have a thrift shop (mom and pop place) a town over that I go to also, because every other Saturday they have HALF OFF the THRIFT store prices! I got an amazing pair of designer jeans for $5! So as of right now I have a full wardrobe of things that fit due to my friend...once these are no longer manageable, it will be time to start hitting up other friends and see what they don't want, change em' up a bit, and rock them as new styles :) Or..that's the plan anyway. I got this one shirt from a friend that fit perfect, but she works in same part of the office, so needed it to "look" different... so went and bought a new belt that was super cool, wore that over the shirt, added some accessories, and bam... no one noticed it was the same shirt! Yard sales are also an awesome way to find stuff. If they have them marked for $4 and it's nearing closing time, they don't want to repack it all up... I have gotten a full bag stuffed full for $1 more times than I can count :) LOL! I know it sounds like I am cheap, but this is good stuff and it's pointless to pay more when you don't have to. Just some options

envelope
08-04-2011, 11:42 PM
I hit Kohl's today to see what I could find for tops.

They carry these undershirts that I LOVE. Flexees Fat Free Dressing, they help smooth out any bumps and lines.

I ended up getting blouses for now and and a couple of cardigans and a sweater that I can wear with my capris...by then I will have to buy slacks, and I better be down to 8s. (It is amazing to think of myself in 8s!!!) I did try on pants out of curiosity and was very happy, I could get away with 10s if I needed too, so hopefully I will be in 8s by the time I have to buy them.

puneri
08-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Other day, i went to a different town and i went to goodwyill store. I baught a skirt for $4. But, in my own town i feel odd.

ItsMyTurn
08-05-2011, 12:21 PM
envelope - I am a huge Kohl's fan too... have ordered a bunch online too (schedule just doesn't permit the time sometimes to shop in person and Kohl's has a super return policy if I mis-guesstimate my size, lol). But I am a total bargain shopper..the last time I went, I got $150 worth for $12 and change :D Sometimes the sales are different online then in store too... so can double savings sometimes...but I am far from limitted to that store, just seem to have a ton of inexpensive luck there

puneri - why feel odd? Is it the type of area that will attach a stigma? The way I look at it, when I buy used, I am saving from the excessive waste that everyone contributes to... it's another way to sort of "give back" by preventing more issues :) My mother taught us young (and we were far from poverty) that use what you have, re-purpose it, or get another person's used and repurpose it, or do without. I found that pretty much applies to everything except food and electronics, LOL! I say shop away!!

lyv33
08-07-2011, 12:00 PM
I keep all my clothes also. I paid a lot for them and I have regained weight numerous times. So, I have clothes in several different sizes and when I start losing weight, it's like going shopping in my own closet.

I have thought about having my clothes altered recently. I just have to dig through the ones that I want altered. I just recently bought some new things that are already too big for me. I have been exercising and evidently losing more inches than lbs and my clothes are rapidly getting too big.

berryblondeboys
08-07-2011, 12:14 PM
I have been exercising and evidently losing more inches than lbs and my clothes are rapidly getting too big.

This is happening to me. I added strength training to my cardio workouts (3 days each a week) and while I only lost 3 pounds last month (vacation and sick kids), I have dropped a clothing size.

I have a couple things I might bother to alter, but I will sell or donate most. I will not keep bigger clothes. Well, maybe one size bigger in a few things when I get to my goal, but not my 20s, 18s, 16s, and 14s. I'm now in 12s and HOPEFULLY by fall will be heading to 10s. If I end up in 10s, I would keep some 12s for 'just in case'. There is simply no 'going back' to as heavy as I was - ever again. My health can't take it.

lyv33
08-07-2011, 12:21 PM
This is happening to me. I added strength training to my cardio workouts (3 days each a week) and while I only lost 3 pounds last month (vacation and sick kids), I have dropped a clothing size.

I have a couple things I might bother to alter, but I will sell or donate most. I will not keep bigger clothes. Well, maybe one size bigger in a few things when I get to my goal, but not my 20s, 18s, 16s, and 14s. I'm now in 12s and HOPEFULLY by fall will be heading to 10s. If I end up in 10s, I would keep some 12s for 'just in case'. There is simply no 'going back' to as heavy as I was - ever again. My health can't take it.

I agree with not keeping clothes that are 4 sizes too big, but 1 or 2 sizes would be about all that I would keep. Clothes are so expensive and money is tight these days for everyone.

I love your blog. Chuckled at the husband and the camera. I wanted to ask you aboutyour work out for your triceps. I have flabby triceps and was wondering what would be the best exercises to help make them not so flabby?

berryblondeboys
08-07-2011, 01:03 PM
I agree with not keeping clothes that are 4 sizes too big, but 1 or 2 sizes would be about all that I would keep. Clothes are so expensive and money is tight these days for everyone.

I love your blog. Chuckled at the husband and the camera. I wanted to ask you aboutyour work out for your triceps. I have flabby triceps and was wondering what would be the best exercises to help make them not so flabby?

Thanks! Well, I have bat wings, no doubt about it, but that's from loose skin and remaining fat. So, while my actual muscle is firming up and making my arms look 'better', they are far from perfection, but they are better than before I started doing weight training.

I'm doing BodyPump, a Les Mills class and the do bench work and other tricep weight work. My triceps are the strongest muscles in my arms, but don't look to me for losing flabby arms. I figure I'll have bat wings forever since I was overweight for so long and that's my weakest point anyway (well, and my gut too).

lyv33
08-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks! Well, I have bat wings, no doubt about it, but that's from loose skin and remaining fat. So, while my actual muscle is firming up and making my arms look 'better', they are far from perfection, but they are better than before I started doing weight training.

I'm doing BodyPump, a Les Mills class and the do bench work and other tricep weight work. My triceps are the strongest muscles in my arms, but don't look to me for losing flabby arms. I figure I'll have bat wings forever since I was overweight for so long and that's my weakest point anyway (well, and my gut too).

Thanks for letting me know what your workout is for your arms. I didn't think that I would get rid of all of it, but I would like for them to look better.