Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 11:06 AM   #1  

Thumbs up I am SO UPSET!

WEll! I HAVE TO TYPE THIS IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE MY BLOODPRESSURE MUST BE AT NEAR DEATH LEVEL!!!!!

I AM OFF SCHOOL TODAY FOR A SNOW DAY AND WAS TAKING THIS OPPORTUNITY TO TIE UP LOOSE ENDS AND MAKE APPTS WITH THE PSYCHOLOGIST AND TOUCH BASE WITH THE SURGEON, ETC.

WELL, I CALLED THE SURGEONS OFFICE WITH A FEW LITTLE QUESTIONS AND THE @#!!@ THAT ANSWERED THE PHONE WAS SO HATEFUL TO ME!! SHE ACTED LIKE I WAS THE DUMBEST PERSON ALIVE AND WOULDN'T EVEN HALFWAY ANSWER MY QUESTIONS!!!!!!!!! DO I WANT TO PUT MY LIFE IN THE HANDS OF PEOPLE LIKE THAT!? I DON'T THINK SO!! I MAY BE FAT, BUT I AM NOT STUPID!!!!

Okay, so I have calmed down a bit and I got right on the phone and called another surgeon! I told the woman who answered the phone that I had an appt with a surgeon already but that they were very hateful to me and could she give me some info on Dr. Kramer. WHAT a SWEET woman! She gave me all kinds of info and an appointment that is a week sooner than the one that I have had with the other doc since DECEMBER!!!!!

So, what I would like to ask you guys... did I do the right thing or did I let my emotions take control? Here's a list of pros and cons for the new surgeon.

New surgeon:
Pro: he's closer to my house
he's a PPO provider
he's got nice people who work for him
he's just lost 50 lbs himself
he's ABSB member
he requires more medical stuff before surgery
Cons: he only does open rny
he's only been doing gastric bypass since march, but he has already done 80 surgeries

So... what do you think?

Help me...I'm very perplexed!

Patty
Old 01-20-2003, 11:25 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

patty... if the doc's office staff CAN'T be courteous, then that's a major signal. in fact, i strongly suggest that you complain IN WRITING to the surgeon with the %$#$%#$% staff.

now as for the other surgeon, he's relatively inexperienced over the long haul. this means that he'll get you TO the surgery, he'll get you THROUGH the surgery, but he doesn't really know about the long-term effects and needs. SO, put him through the wringer on diet, support, that sort of thing. if he says that you should drink Carnation Instant Breakfast FIND ANOTHER SURGEON.

and ask him why he doesn't do lap... there are many reasons that a doctor doesn't, some are good.. some aren't. some of the docs who only do open are just too old to learn anything new. the new surgeon is doing about 8 bypasses a month. that's a good sign.. he's not overbooking or rushing through them. of course, if he only schedules them on one or two days a month, that's a bad sign.

so, keep going... illegimiti non carborundum!!!
Old 01-20-2003, 12:04 PM   #3  

thanks jiff!

uh... either I don't speak latin or I'm missing something...illegimiti non carbonrundum? Don't drink illegitimate carbonation? Don't have illegitimate children with a dummy from Carbonne?

It's funny... at my nutrition class with the @#$ doc, they said to drink carnation instant breakfast, sf, of course!

Patty
Old 01-20-2003, 01:37 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

don't let the *******s get you down!!!

as for the carnation instant breakfast, check out the nutrition label on their website. and then you tell ME how this can possible help you meet your daily protein requirements of 80-100 grams a day while maintaining very very very almost 0 carbs!!! even the sugar free stuff!!!

so .maybe this is an extremely good thing that has happened!!!!
Old 01-20-2003, 01:49 PM   #5  
she who must be obeyed

Patty, I'm a firm believer in "things happen for a reason." You may never know the reason, but maybe this doc was just not the right one for you.

I still think you should let him know why you left his practice.........office staff is so very important in a doctor's office. If she can't be civil to patients he needs to know.

The path to wls is a true journey with many bumps in the road.......you just hit a speed bump...........keep going.

Deb
Old 01-20-2003, 02:52 PM   #6  

awwwwwww, Jiff, you brought tears to my eyes.....you are talking just like Dad!

Patty, man, I hate when the office staff is rude. It has only happened once to me and it sure did tick me off....(not good)

You'll find the right person!

peach
Old 01-20-2003, 06:23 PM   #7  

80-100 grams a day

They actually told my Husband that most men need at a minimum of 100 grams a day. Does that seem "normal" to you?! They said he would need more being a large framed guy?

I hate to say shop around for a surgeon but YOU have to know what YOU need! This is such a change of life, if you need support you have to find someone who offers support. If you need to watch the $$ you have to find a PPO. Make a list. I know it sound a little strange but it really helped John and I decide if we wanted this surgeon or if we needed to keep looking.

Also do you have a family doctor. We do and John did not care who his surgeon was, he really Trusts our family doctor so who he suggested is who John wanted.

(Over riding my wish of a Lap procedure, they also only do open.)
Old 01-20-2003, 11:51 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

luna... 80-100 grams is a MINIMUM... it sounds as if john is in EXCELLENT hands
Closed Thread