Weight Loss Support - Best weight loss advice you've ever received

Loli
08-03-2011, 07:27 PM
What is the best advice you've ever received? What was it that you took to heart, put into practice and it ended up working for you?

I think since I've joined this board, I've learned the importance of drinking plenty of water. If you don't drink enough, your body will retain water. Therefore, limiting the weightloss results you see on the scale. Your body also will feel AND look bloated to you which will make buttoning up those skinny jeans just a little bit harder.....

MiniMeee
08-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Best advice.....stop eating sugar and you won't crave it. What a relief!!

Loli
08-03-2011, 07:35 PM

I wish I would have known that before I ate those skittles this afternoon. :o

christine123
08-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Don't blow the day just because you blew the meal.

MiniMeee
08-03-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm a sugar addict. I can not just have one piece of cake, I want the WHOLE cake. So those food pushers at work who tell me, "oh just have a tiny piece of the donut, cake, cookies, candy, _____" fill in the blank, I say, "the donut looks better in the box than on my butt!!" That shuts them up. :)

Angie
08-03-2011, 07:42 PM
What is in your calories is as important as how many you eat. Eating more protein, veg and just a few whole grains keeps me feeling full and satisfied.

Okay, I can't resist one more...also if you stick to your plan the weight will come off eventually.

toastedsmoke
08-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Mental advice: There's no easy fix or easy way to do this. You need to want it enough to work hard for it. Willpower, motivation are temporary things that won't sustain you on this journey.

Practical advice: Drink water.

luckymommy
08-03-2011, 08:08 PM
I read on here: if food is not the problem, then food is not the solution. This helps my addict mentality.

retrogirl
08-03-2011, 08:15 PM
LOOK FORWARD

Just like in walking, if you look back too much, you're gonna smack your face into a wall.
Head up, and keep on truckin, even if you messed up. Looking back only creates more woe. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.

There is no defeat in messing up, defeat is giving up :hug:

edit - and always wear clean underwear. I know my mom would smack me if I didn't include that! LOL! ;)

alaskanlaughter
08-03-2011, 08:51 PM
read it somewhere on here....something along the lines of that motivation will get you started, but commitment will keep you going...thats not quite right but thats the idea...when motivation ends, its the commitment that gets you to the finish line...

and that "hunger is not an emergency"

that being said...i'm still a work in progress LOL but those have helped me out

ChickieChicks
08-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Low-fat, high-protein. Do this and the carbs fall in line.

Eat clean. You get way more bang for your buck.

Exercise is not optional! Find something you like and just keep trucking.

What works for me, will not work for you. And vice versa!!!

puneri
08-03-2011, 09:41 PM
When feeling frustrated go to 3fc and see the people who have braved all odds and surmounted difficult situations which you cannot fathom!!
How year after year they worked singlemindedly and reached their destination.
Then the dark clouds of frustration would disapear and new vigor will soon overtake you.

mamamorgan
08-03-2011, 09:51 PM
^^ thats a good one

MelloFatto
08-03-2011, 10:11 PM

Really? When I tried the 15 grams of sugar a day thing I was craving it like crazy. I think I'm going to give it another go though!

lin43
08-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Okay, this one I read on Emme's thread (in Calorie Counters) so I'm giving her full credit (and I think she wrote that she read it on someone's else's post): It's something along the lines of Being fat is hard. Losing is hard. Maintaining is hard. Choose your hard. I have really kept that in mind, and it has motivated me.

berryblondeboys
08-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Eating lower carb was definitely the best advice I got. Big time.

KittyKat1465
08-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Drink plenty of water and count calories! Exercise is a MUST!!!!!

April Snow
08-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Okay, this one I read on Emme's thread (in Calorie Counters) so I'm giving her full credit (and I think she wrote that she read it on someone's else's post): It's something along the lines of Being fat is hard. Losing is hard. Maintaining is hard. Choose your hard. I have really kept that in mind, and it has motivated me.

that's the same one I was going to say! I love that quote and can always use the reminder that no matter how hard staying on my plan may feel at any given moment, being 30 lbs heavier was much harder, plus it didn't just last for one tough moment.

Right now, my tag line is "stick like glue." But in my head, eventually, it's going to say "choose your hard."

Loli
08-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Okay, I can't resist one more...also if you stick to your plan the weight will come off eventually.

I'm going to keep reminding myself of this one!!

Loli
08-04-2011, 10:23 AM
There is no defeat in messing up, defeat is giving up :hug:

Love this!

bargoo
08-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Don't give up. If you binge, start over.

alinnell
08-04-2011, 10:30 AM
You're not hungry, you're bored.

Basically, find something else to do when the snack monster hits. And leave the kitchen!

BakingChick
08-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Eat healthy and you will eventually crave healthy....all others will taste like crap. :)

It took me a while to accept, but this was key. It's not going to just fall off. Slow and steady, a pound of two a week. But that's the only healthy way to keep it off.

popspry
08-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Foods aren't good and bad, they are healthier and less healthy. Stop feeling like you're a bad person when you make a poor choice.

tuende
08-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Being fat is hard. Losing is hard. Maintaining is hard. Choose your hard.

^LOVE THIS!!!!

The best advice I've gotten, I hear twice a week, being yelled over insane amounts of bass during spin class: "Feel the burn, feel how uncomfortable it gets! Accept it and...PUSH PAST IT!" It always reminds me how much of a mental game all of this is and how much my body is really capable of when I get out of my own way! I don't need to panic when I feel hungry, when the scale isn't moving, when I'm sore and tired and want to eat cookies but can't. Accepting all of this as part of the process and finding a way to push past it has been so empowering!

JessLess
08-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Count Calories = best advice I've gotten and thanks to those who suggested it!

JoJoJo2
08-04-2011, 01:06 PM
"Keep pushing yourself; keep moving -"

It works for me. :)

PreciousMissy
08-04-2011, 01:27 PM
The scale is not the be all, end all. If you don't lose this week it's ok, you're still making better choices than you were before you started.

and

"Just imagine what the scale would say if you weren't making the effort"

kateleestar
08-04-2011, 01:38 PM
I like the one where it's all 'imagine where you'd be if you started a year ago' or whatever. Imagine if I would have started all those times I wanted to, but didn't care enough to! Oh well! :D

jessica2231
08-04-2011, 01:43 PM
my grandma told me to love myself before she passed.

one day i woke up and realized. literally in an instant. that i couldnt be happy fat. so how could i love myself when i saw myself as a lazy glutenous person.

so i slowly baby stepped into this journey and today i am at 24lbs. loss so far and i am a beleiver in myself and i love myself and all this hard work and see that i am strong and everything. has made me realise i wasnt the person i thought i was. at least not anymore. : )

happygirl5
08-04-2011, 03:24 PM
:) loved that quote Loli "There is no defeat in messing up, defeat is giving up" :))

best advice ever, is to make a cup of green tea everytime i go to the kitchen looking for anything to grab! it's zero calories and makes your mouth busy :D ...i also heard it takes minimum 4 cups of green tea a day, to start burning ur fat

Imannott
08-04-2011, 05:14 PM
The best advice i ever received was coming here and learning that its okay to have a different path to weight loss and skipping breakfast is not the end all of weight loss. And its not when you eat, its what you eat. Thanks!

m3k
08-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Definitely all of the tidbits I've learned from the people here. Everyone really takes time to read what you have to say and tries to figure out things to try that they really think would be good for you.

Love it!

redbutton
08-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Best advice for me was:

If you think you're hungry, have maybe brown rice and chicken breast at home, but what you really want is a subway sandwich, and refuse to eat what you have at home . . . then you're not really hungry, you're having a craving. Because, if you were truly hungry . . . you would eat ANYTHING!

If you fell down a well and were trapped for 5 days there, you would be starving and that chicken and brown rice would be just fine . . .you wouldn't say "um no, I was hoping for a sandwich"!

This helps me most times.

JohnP
08-04-2011, 05:23 PM
As remedial as it sounds the best advice I recieved was the knowledge that calories are the only thing that are responsible for fat gain or loss.

No magic foods

No magic exercises

Only a caloric deficit causes fat loss.

chickadee32
08-04-2011, 06:13 PM
^ That. Far and away, the most critical factor is calories in vs. calories out. Eat fewer calories than my body uses daily, and I will lose weight.

Going right along with that was the knowledge that I don't have to structure my eating times in a way that feels unnatural to me. I don't have to eat breakfast, I don't have to eat every few hours, I don't have to stop eating N hours before bedtime, etc. in order to lose weight. I can eat when I'm hungry, not structure my life around food, and still lose weight very effectively.

Finally, that the best "diet" was the one I could stick to. There are precious few universal truths to weight loss, and what works for some people doesn't work well or isn't comfortable for others. When you find the path that works for YOU, don't be deterred from it by those who suggest that you're doing it "wrong".

lin43
08-04-2011, 06:14 PM
As remedial as it sounds the best advice I recieved was the knowledge that calories are the only thing that are responsible for fat gain or loss.

No magic foods

No magic exercises

Only a caloric deficit causes fat loss.

I'm not a big Oprah fan, but your post brought to mind something I read that she said (I'm paraphrasing): There is no magic pill. If there were, I would have bought it!

It's true, though. If there was some secret, the uber-rich would already have it. So, the eat less, move more equation is really what it comes down to.

K9Owner
08-04-2011, 06:26 PM
This "Don't blow the day just because you blew the meal." has to be my new fave!!

But I am loving this thread! I really fancy JohnP's quote!

I think a really great piece of advice I received recently that I really took to heart was a friend from MFP. When I couldn't figure out why I was on a stall, she recommended I up my fiber intake to 30g through food (not supplements). Turns out, you have to eat a great deal of healthy stuff to make 30g in a day. Keeps the cals low, cravings at bay, and I'm totally satiated most of the time!

HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE!!

Gale02
08-04-2011, 06:43 PM
The one that's stuck with me for years is: Saying "I'll start again tomorrow" when you've blown a meal is like tripping on a single stair and then hurling yourself down the staircase because you blew it.

sniperhil
08-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Kateleestar in her signature: That's not sweat....that's your fat cells crying!

LOVE this! I've never heard it before and it makes me feel soooo good about how I'm sweating buckets after my runs. Awesome.

Something that's always helped me is to focus on what foods I can eat instead of what I can't. It puts a postitive, take control spin on dieting and calorie counting. :D

Mariposa24
08-04-2011, 07:26 PM
1) MOVE every day 2)drink water 3)white starches ARE the enemy :)

mlgibson
08-05-2011, 12:51 AM

I second that!

NotJustALittleFat
08-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Love this thread! So many inspiring quotes! One of my faves is "the quality of calories counts just as much as the quantity." I really want to be skinny, but I want even more so to be healthy at the end of it all. Yes, I can lose it all by just eating twinkles, but my body will be deprived of the vitamins and minerals it craves.

cortandcooper
08-05-2011, 02:37 AM
Definitely have to echo JohnP's "Only a caloric deficit causes fat loss." That's been true for me for sure, both this time, and the last time I lost a lot of weight.

Also, not to waste calories by drinking them.

sumire
08-05-2011, 12:25 PM
"You move less and eat more than you think you do." Facing up to reality is an eye-opener. No more excuses.

But the idea that has really allowed me to succeed is one I encountered here: commit to a plan for one year. No quitting if you "blow it" one meal or day or week. No quitting because you're not losing weight, or because you think your results aren't good enough or fast enough, or even because you're gaining weight. You can tweak your plan for better results, but no quitting, no going back to the way things used to be. No quitting because you're too busy, or too tired, or something upsetting happened, or any other excuse. No quitting for a year. If you want to quit after a year (I didn't! :)), you can... but not until then.

Esofia
08-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Don't be put off by what everyone else seems to be doing, whether it's losing 5lb a week or eating an incredibly high level of protein. Learn from other people, but use only what works for you personally.

lin43
08-05-2011, 02:00 PM
"You move less and eat more than you think you do." Facing up to reality is an eye-opener. No more excuses.

This is SO true! I threw a little inner temper tantrum when I started calorie counting again and realized how many calories were in so many of the foods I regularly ate. I had the same reaction when I realized how few net calories I burn through exercise. I've realized that ignoring the reality doesn't change it.

goodforme
08-05-2011, 02:11 PM
The best advice I ever saw on 3FC? Pretty much any post by Saef or Kaplods.

I'm a slow loser. It is what it is. So what? Maintaining even ONE lost pound is better than gaining. And accepting that the amount of work and angst it would take me to have the "perfect" body is just not worth it at this time in my life, so I need to accept the best body I can have while still living a sustainable lifestyle.

NEMom
08-05-2011, 02:15 PM
I deserve this. It is hard work, getting up early is hard to exercise but I DESERVE it and am doing this for ME.

KatieC87
08-05-2011, 02:25 PM
This thread is so great!

Best advice I've received - start today, right now. If you mess up, don't wait four days until Monday to start again or make it right. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and make better decisions NOW.

I cannot count how many times I slipped on a plan in the past and said, "Eh, screw it, I'll start again in a week or the 1st of next month." Then those days would get here, and I'd either "not be ready" or I'd mess up again and start the process over.

WannaBeLoserAgain
08-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Remember Portion Control!

LGW
08-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Avoid the all or nothing mentality i.e., either I'm eating healthy or I'm not, I'm not going to eat healthy while on vacation, I'll start tomorrow or next week...you get the picture

If you eat healthy most of the time you will develop life changing habits and be successful in your weight loss as well

EagleRiverDee
08-05-2011, 03:20 PM
My doctor told me once- and originally I didn't believe him: "You lose weight with diet. You get fit with exercise." I now know that this is true.

Lunula
08-05-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm not an Oprah devotee, but I did watch one of her more recent weight loss episodes where she said, paraphrasing, that if there were a silver bullet, a magic pill, for weight loss - that she would have it. She would buy it, she would buy them all (because she could). The thing is, it doesn't exist. There is no magic cure. There is no short-cut. It doesn't exist.

So when I hear "new weight loss method!" - "new weight loss pill!" - "new diet and you will lose 10lbs per week!" -- I can laugh it off. I no longer believe in short-cuts to long-term, healthy, weight loss. It just doesn't exist.

envelope
08-05-2011, 05:18 PM
This may not be the best weight loss advice I have ever heard, but it sure has made a big impact on me this summer. Eat Unprocessed Wheat Bran (I put 1 1/2 tbsp in each 6oz of yogurt I eat, usually first thing in the morning and then 1 more time during the day.)

Fiber is a type of carbohydrate you can't digest. This is great news for weight loss because it means fiber has no calories. One of the best sources of insoluble fiber is wheat bran.
Note: Wheat allergies are becoming more common. Rice bran will work as effectively as wheat bran.

Thanks Dr. Oz!

melodymist
08-05-2011, 05:18 PM
- Don't starve yourself.
- Drink enough water.
- Eat breakfast
- Don't deprive yourself from something, eat it. Just in small portions :)

Lovely
08-05-2011, 05:38 PM
There are so many good pieces of advice... it's really difficult to pick just one. I suppose the best overall piece of advice is something that could apply to more than just weight loss.

"Never give up."

And that's paraphrasing, because I read it all over the place on 3FC in various ways. In bits of encouragement, and butt-kicking, in hugs and nudges. Those little voices all over the forums saying "Don't look back. Just make steps forward. Even baby steps." Everyone here says it to everyone else each day. "Don't give up! Don't give in! This is worth it. Every day we're on plan is WORTH it."

The best weight-specific advice, though, has got to be every time I've read Kaplods' posts about how:

"Maintaining is succeeding. Slow weight loss is succeeding."

I cannot count the number of times that has helped me, because it leads me to so many other positive thoughts. The mere act of NOT returning to my highest weight is a success. I don't need to be at goal weight to be succeeding. Being here, in the present, and doing healthier things for myself is the goal.

Yes, I may want to lose more, and that's fine, but never returning to 300+ pounds is a darn huge success. I'm allowed to be proud of it and of all my progress along the way. I don't have to wait for a certain "goal" to feel proud and successful.

Only I define what success is to me in my life. And success, to me, is every single healthy step forward I make.

violet826
08-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Im a person who eats when Im bored. Someone told me "When you think you might be hungry chew a piece of gum first". Ive noticed that after about 10 minutes of chewing, I dont feel hungry anymore. :)

treasureBelle
08-05-2011, 08:27 PM
- You can do anything for one day.
(Forget yesterday, forget tomorrow and and the weeks/months before and afterwards... you can do it today. Repeat as necessary.)

- Find a form of exercise you'll stick with. (It helps if you enjoy it.)
Just because your friend _____ goes running/hiking/biking/rock climbing/plays tennis etc, doesn't mean it's right for you. If you find you can stick with taking the stairs at work rather than the lift, or getting off the bus a stop or two earlier, or sticking to gym sessions x days per week, do it.
For me, it was walking around the common round the block from my house. Some people find this their idea of ****, and would rather play tennis or whatever.

- Don't despair when you "only" lose a pound/half a pound.
Ever put your small change in a jar, then take it to those machines at the shops? I put my coppers in a jar for an entire university semester, and ended up with just over 6. Little bits add up.

mountaingirl81
08-05-2011, 09:04 PM
So many different things... lets see.

My recovering alcoholic friend, by example, showed me how important it is to take things day by day. Minute by minute if it's really bad. But the important thing was that no matter what, it all counted and so the "oh, I ate a cake today so I'm off the diet and forget about it, I can't do this" attitude was a poor one. No one ever got anywhere with that attitude.

The scale isn't everything. Ditch it whenever you want to. It's not going to care.

Don't fill your life with boring crap you don't care about because you "should" do this or that. It usually results from people-pleasing. Prioritize and always seek out your own joys. Follow your heart's desire. Follow your bliss. Whatever you want to call it.

Set out on this journey with self-love as the basis, not self-hate. Self-love sounds like "I want to be healthy and happy and do more things in life." Self-hate sounds like "I hate being fat, I hate looking ugly, I want to be attractive, I can't stand looking in the mirror." We all have those feelings, but it shouldn't pave the way on the journey.

Find what works for you that you can do for a lifetime. There's magic cure for everyone, and no two people are the same.

Stick with it. Perseverance trumps "talent" every time when it comes to success. Some of the most successful people ever just never gave up, no matter how often they "failed." Thomas Edison was famously quoted as saying he didn't fail 10,000 times, he successfully discovered 10,000 ways a light bulb would not work. And I'm sure I've found 50,000 ways to NOT lose weight!

Have medical and moral support. You can do it alone, but why make it that much harder on yourself? That's alot of pressure! There's weight loss support groups everywhere if none of your friends want to join you or if they are not available to be your moral support in this.

Magalo
08-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Fats don't make you fat ! They are really important. :)

summerlove
08-05-2011, 11:27 PM
eat less move more!! :carrot:

green chick
08-06-2011, 02:08 AM
"If you don't put it in, you don't have to take it out!"

Harriette
08-06-2011, 10:29 AM
eat less move more!! :carrot:

This is what I tell everyone when they ask me how I have done it!! It's simplistic but exactly true!

fatmad
08-06-2011, 11:06 AM

absolutely number one best advice. and its corollary, if you have a bad day/week even, don't blow off the eating plan, just get back to it. and forgive and forget the cheat.

butterflymama
08-06-2011, 11:39 AM
It a lifestyle not a diet and habits can be changed one at a time overtime.

Also

Losing weight is part of a process of getting healthy and to have compassion for yourself

I also love the "chose your hard" quote...fantastic and I have quoted it often to others.

dragonwoman64
08-06-2011, 03:03 PM
I agree with the one about you move less than you think, and eat more than you think, ha.

choose your hard is great too

a couple of things for me:

coming to see it's not a deprivation to pass up a "goody" (something that's more calories than fits in with my program or screws up my efforts to be healthy/lose weight), that the real deprivation comes with overindulging and gaining.

exercise gets easier the more you do it

it's not a "quit" or "give up" situation, it's a switch in lifestyle that has its ups and downs, and finding what works and finding out that what works changes all the time.

belmagick
08-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Best advice: Protein, Protein and more Protein

RealMeSomeday
08-06-2011, 05:35 PM
i have no advice yet but to all of you ladies: wow, you are all amazing!! :wave::bravo::cp:

Loli
08-06-2011, 06:11 PM
i have no advice yet but to all of you ladies: wow, you are all amazing!! :wave::bravo::cp:

I have to second that! This is all so inspiring and motivating. I'm saving this thread as a link in my signature, to keep reminding myself to never give up!

"Choose your hard!"

RealMeSomeday
08-06-2011, 07:07 PM
OK, I'll go there.
What does "chose your hard" mean? :?:

christine123
08-06-2011, 07:12 PM

This is the choose your hard quote that some people on here referred to.

H82Sweat
08-06-2011, 07:29 PM
I really liked reading- "It's much easier to love yourself to good health than it is to hate yourself thin."

124chicksinger
08-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Not that it ever sank in, but here goes:

Imagine that tomorrow you'll wake up at your ideal weight.
Wouldn't that be sweet?
Attached to that gift, however, is a caveat: eat to maintain that ideal weight.

noregrets4me
08-07-2011, 03:29 AM
Chicken skin didn't make you fat!

I was on WW once a long time ago and was "confessing" to a friend my "cheats" of not "counting" the milk I put in my tea and the fact that I didn't remove the skin from my chicken. She looked me in the eye and said "Mary, chicken skin didn't make you fat." For years and years "dieting" was all or nothing. I was either on a diet -- or I was gorging myself because I would be starting a diet next week....... How thankful I am that I gave up dieting and now choose to try my best to eat healthy. I now eat chicken skin with no guilt --ok, maybe this week I could lose 1.1 pounds instead of 1.0 pound if I omitted the chicken skin --- oh well!!

Forget dieting -- just eat as healthy as you can and control your portions.

starbrite
08-07-2011, 06:44 AM
Find a plan that suits you and stick to it - no excuses!

Madame Souza
08-07-2011, 11:04 AM
I did an online health survey with my HMO and when they summed up my life style it said we are a bit confused, you say you don't have any time to exercise but you watch over 4 hours of TV per night. That phrase stuck with me and got me thinking about how I choose to spend my time. Because of that, I am now choosing to exercise for some of that time instead of vegging out in front of the TV every night.

Loli
08-07-2011, 03:01 PM
I did an online health survey with my HMO and when they summed up my life style it said we are a bit confused, you say you don't have any time to exercise but you watch over 4 hours of TV per night. That phrase stuck with me and got me thinking about how I choose to spend my time. Because of that, I am now choosing to exercise for some of that time instead of vegging out in front of the TV every night.

This is so true! And when I feel the need to watch TV, I try to work out at the same time - either by getting on my treadmill or mini-stepper or by using hand weights or bands.

shalyn
08-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Some are basic common sense things, but sometimes you have to figure it out on you own.

From Mom:
Eat mostly meat and veggies (protien and good carbs).
Everything in moderation.

Things I found out on my own:
Exercise really does work.
Don't deprive yourself of foods you love because you'll eventually binge. Just do small portions. (Goes with "everything in moderation")

From 3FC:
Intermittent fasting (IF-Fast 5, etc) restricts calories & carbs without suffering to do so all day.

mommyfat
08-19-2011, 12:32 PM
3 things-

Low Fat, High Protein (as many have said)

Do NOT drink anything with meals or 20 minutes before or after (that just pushes your food through and your body doesn't have time to fully asorb the nutrients it needs and generally leads to increased calorie consumption)

The scale is not your enemy, it is a tool!

shcirerf
08-19-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm a lifetime WW member, some of the things I've learned.

1. It's a lifestyle change NOT a DIET!

2. The lifestyle has to be something you can live with the rest of your life.

3. The lifestyle has to have flexibility.

Some of the things I really like about WW are.

1. WW does not say you can never, ever, ever, ever, eat another cookie, french fry, or drink a glass of wine or have a beer. You can, just in moderation.

2. WW does allow for flexibility, understanding sometimes you just want the dang cookie, or if you get stuck in a food situation beyond your control, it's helped me learn to make a better *bad* choice.

3. I really enjoy the meetings, and discussions, and all the literature and handouts and stuff. Plus the best part is being in a roomful of wonderful people, all supportive, friendly and in the same boat as myself. Along with all of their tips, recipes, etc. Kinda like coming here!:D

Along with all of that, just the mind set to keep chugging away, no matter what. Some days will be better than others. Some weigh ins will be better than others, but as long as the scale is drifting downward or maintaining, you're doing good.

My grandmother said, you should eat like king for breakfast, a queen for lunch, a pauper for supper. Must work, she's never had a weight problem. ;)

Gabe
08-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Another message board--non weight loss--that I post on has a lot of less-than-helpful threads about weight, dieting, overweight people, and the like. I don't really like them; sarcastic wench that I am, I still don't enjoy being a total jerk. But in those threads, the same thing kept on being said over and over, largely by people who didn't have a clue: if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight.

It isn't that I didn't know that, but it became a mantra to stick to. When I thought about changing my lifestyle before, it was always in terms of, "well, I'll stop eating this and this and this and maybe I'll try low-carb, no, I like bread too much, how about South Beach, no, I'm too cheap to buy the book." Reducing it to a simple math problem-- Ʃ(All the day's food) < 1200 kCal -- made it a lot easier for me to just up and do it. Eating healthier food just sort of followed that, but if I'd started off with, "well, I'm only going to eat fish and chicken breasts and vegetables," I'd've lasted about three days.

Cali Doll
08-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Weight loss is about commitment; it's not about motivation. You have to commit to it like you commit to taking a shower or going to work every day.

happygirl5
08-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Nice advice Cali doli :)

christine123
08-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Weight loss is about commitment; it's not about motivation. You have to commit to it like you commit to taking a shower or going to work every day.

This is golden. It's why I've been more successful this time. My motivation has been at an all time low but I've been successful because I treat it like something i do daily, like showering or my job.

Jo Kittibuck
08-20-2011, 06:49 AM
"Can you do it now? Then why aren't you doing it now?"

This phrase is very important to me, it gets me out the door to the gym a lot. Also makes me do my house chores. I used to be of the mindset "today's a screwup, so start fresh tomorrow". But there's still things I can achieve today. I don't have to wait for sunrise.

HoustonMom
08-20-2011, 09:22 PM
You Chicks really inspire me. Thanks for your posts. Sometimes just a quick look at 3FC gets me motivated.

Mary79
08-21-2011, 12:36 AM
These aren't original to me - I've heard them somewhere else:

It isn't the falling in the water, it's the staying in there that makes you drown (this paraphrases the advice on picking yourself up immediately - not waiting for next day/week/month).

Not every meal you eat out is a celebration meal. Decide whether it is a celebration or a replacement and eat accordingly (that I got a million years ago from WW).

meg86
08-21-2011, 01:31 AM
The food won't fix the problem/feeling you are trying to avoid/solve.

I emotionally eat a lot...this saying has helped me so much.

girlonfire
08-22-2011, 03:38 PM
One thing I've been trying to focus on is to lose the falling off/ getting on the wagon mindset. Instead, I am driving the wagon! I read that somewhere and it has stuck with me (I forgot who I read it from, sorry!). Instead of viewing slipping up as something that happens, I realize I am in complete control of what I do with my body. It's a very liberating feeling!

BellaLucia
08-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Eat less, move more, lol.

daw123
09-19-2011, 07:03 PM
I haven't read through the entire looong post... but here's mine. And I actually gave this advice and remembered it because I thought it was clever ;) .

There's nothing magical about Mondays. Someone had binged and was going to wait until Monday to start the diet all over again. I had learned not to wait, it's not worth it (for me, more binges come). Start over again the same day next meal, or even the next day (if dinner and dessert was the binge). Unless there is some medical reason to wait, then there's no time like the present.

sexychick
09-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Mine is cut out all the junk. I have lost around 20 pounds without not really doing anything by doing this

Mimzzy
09-19-2011, 09:45 PM
I have a couple of them that I love and use to keep me motivated :

- Your past does not equal, nor does it dictate, your future
- Don't sacrifice your future for a momentary pleasure
- Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

So many great ones on here :D

girlvet
09-19-2011, 09:54 PM
There are some great ones in this thread, but I think this one is my favorite....thanks Cali Doll!:)

Baicane
09-20-2011, 12:38 PM
“There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.”

loose seal
12-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Never give up.

You never fail unless you fail to try.

Move more, eat less.

Keep mouth shut, pie not get in.

Just say NO.

Cali Doll
12-02-2011, 08:11 AM
There are some great ones in this thread, but I think this one is my favorite....thanks Cali Doll!:)

Thank YOU for bringing this up again. I need to hear it right now. :hug:

ETA: I failed to mention that I think I first heard that advice from rockinrobin on this board. She hasn't been around in a while and I definitely miss her advice and support.

loose seal
12-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Don't let the holidays derail your efforts. It's not what you eat between Thanksgiving and Christmas, it's what you eat between Christmas and Thanksgiving. ;)

blueheron777
12-02-2011, 09:20 AM
What a great thread! Wish it would go on forever--such good advice. I'm a believer in post-it notes for motivation and this is offering great ones.

My biggest realization from 3FC was that I had to ditch the all-or-nothing mindset that always messed me up in the past. OK, I blew it, so get back on plan RIGHT NOW. No more promising myself to start eating right tomorrow--get back on plan NOW.

kateleestar
12-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Lol, I didn't see this back in august, as I just found this thread and was reading all the way through it. I'm glad that my sweat crying quote is inspiring! It sure helps me when I'm all sweaty and gross... :D

And I agree Cali - I miss Robin, and Elaina! SUCH good ladies and such good advice!!

I think the biggest advice for me is to keep drinking my water and to keep moving, because the water makes me feel better and the movement is always burning calories! ANY MOVEMENT! I always tell myself 'keep going.'

:)

DesertTabby
12-02-2011, 01:17 PM
'Its not a diet its a lifestyle', that stuck with me too! It took a while for it to sink in but when it did it made it a lot easier to pick my diet plan and stick with it! (especially when I realized that just cause I am thin it doesn't mean I can eat whatever I want. Someone else said it earlier 'even if you magically woke up thin, you'll have to eat in a way to maintain it...')

Another one: "When you get to a plateau, think of it as a landing on the stairway to your goal. And maintenance is a lifelong plateau, so a bit of "rehearsal" for maintenance isn't the worst thing in the world."

Yet another: "You get whatever you settle for."

And finally: "Eat to live, don't live to eat."

Cali Doll
12-03-2011, 03:09 AM
Gosh, I can't remember if this one has been said but this is another one I just love....and I also saw it on this board first:

Being fat is hard; losing weight is hard. Choose your hard.

I really like that one because it's so simple but very true.

Oh, and another one I like is:

Do or don't do; there is no try!

I have the "do or don't do" written on a post-it on my desk at work. I often look at it when I'm inclined to eat something crappy (boredom eating at work).

loose seal
12-03-2011, 09:45 AM
If you think you can do a thing or can't do a thing, either way you are right.

(Attributed to Henry Ford)

MusicalAstronaut
12-03-2011, 12:58 PM
I guess the best bit of advice I've found applies to snacking (especially late night). When you're thinking about how much you want that snack, think about how bad you'll feel about it the next morning, and instead think of how proud you'll be that you resisted it. A little long to be a saying, :P, but snacking's a big issue for me.

My favorite one from this thread is: "Saying "I'll start again tomorrow" when you've blown a meal is like tripping on a single stair and then hurling yourself down the staircase because you blew it." So true! When I hear someone go "I blew my diet today" or "I started and stopped my diet twice this week" I think, what on earth are you talking about? That's just a bad mindset to have; it lets you make excuses. You don't start and stop. You have good days and bad days but you're still working towards your goal. Don't make excuses for yourself, that's what got you in the situation in the first place. The day I realized that is the day I started losing weight.