100 lb. Club - Has anyone seen fat, sick and nearly dead? (documentary)

lottie63
08-02-2011, 09:33 AM
So I did a one day liquid fast last week, and a month or so before that I bought a book on juicing, I finally got around to watching fat, sick and nearly dead and was so inspired! I plan to start a juice fast tomorrow. We need groceries. The rest of the fridge is pretty much cleaned out, we haven't had time to shop, so this is the perfect time to start a juice fast.

Anyhow, bf is totally gung ho to try it. We're going to try for a 10 day fast, I don't know if it's doable for me, but I'm glad he's doing it too, it should make it easier. I'm gonna give it my all!

If you haven't seen it, I suggest it. It's on netflix streaming.

Also, food, inc and killer at large are my two other food/obesity type fave documentaries.

check em' out! :)

Gale02
08-02-2011, 09:37 AM
I watched the preview on your blog yesterday, it looks really good. I'm going to see if Amazon Video on Demand has it.

lottie63
08-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Gale02, it's also on youtube for 3.99 (for a 24 hour rental)

Wesa
08-07-2011, 03:32 PM
I just started a 30 day Juice Fast after watching the documentary. I'm really excited about it, and so far I like all the juices I've made. Lemon and Ginger add a lot of flavor. Good luck to those who are trying this too

lottie63
08-08-2011, 12:13 AM
wesa, I'm going until I get into the 100's most likely.

I am on day 5 and feel great!

Sophronia
08-08-2011, 01:01 AM
I saw this on your blog, too, Lottie, and watched it. I am definitely interested in trying a modified version of it. I don't want to buy a juicer, though, so I want to try one with green smoothies. I'm trying to figure out logistics, as I work far from home and work long hours sometimes.

What are you doing about exercise? It looked like Phil and Joe did pretty low-key exercise, but I would definitely want to do some strength training along with some cardio.

And calories? Juicing is beneficial for the micronutrients, it seems, but the macronutrients seem a little more challenging. I am not worried about adequate protein or fats. I am just confused on how many calories I would need to take in. Joe and Phil didn't go into much detail on this point.

I'm not convinced that too few calories stops weight loss or ruins metabolism. After all, how would weight loss surgery work if that was true? But I am interested in more detail about this issue. Do you even worry about calories? How often do you juice? Do you have to make fresh juice 5 or 6 times a day, or is 3 times a day adequate?

Yay for you for doing this! Like you, I was really inspired by the video - particularly Phil. I'm father from Wonderland than you are, but I would love a nice push in that direction!

twinmommaplusone
08-08-2011, 01:35 AM
There are so many ways to do it.

I say go for it just be safe and practical.

I could never cause my pcos would go crazy!

Good Luck ! :D

lottie63
08-08-2011, 08:31 AM
twinmomma, hmmmm, I have pcos, not having any issues there.

what do you mean 'go crazy'?

Sophrina, thanks for reading! with this sort of thing I think it's important to get what you need by just listening to your body. I'm not counting cals as I do this. I generally juice 4-5 times a day, fruits and veg, juices that are mostly fruits in the early part of the day (to burn off the sugar) and veg at night so I'm not sleeping on a bunch of sugar.

Like he mentions in the film, we are built for fasting for long periods of time due to the scarcity of food in the past. We coudl eat all spring and summer and then live off our body's reserves for the lean times. I've abused my body for years, therefore I think just a few days/weeks of juicing could only be beneficial. I do try and add flax to one smoothie a day though.

my juicing book says if you juice plenty of greens you'll get about 10 grams of protein per 16 oz cup.

Some people on twitter are exercising vigorously, I'm not. I am just walking for now, I wouldn't want to do strength training because you need protein to rebuild your muscle and heal and although I feel as though I am getting enough to just go about my day I am most likely not getting enough for muscle repair. (I could be totally wrong here, but it seems to make sense in my head.) It's a short period of time though, 15-20 days maybe, so I'm not too worried about just picking up on exercise where I left off.

TooManyDimples
08-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I pretty much had the same idea, Sophrina. I tried doing a juice fast a few years ago and I just couldn't hack it. I watched the documentary a few weeks ago and I though I might have better success with smoothies and fresh produce.

This past week I actually did it. I knew I wasn't going to get nearly as much protein from a smoothie as I would juice so I added whey protein to my smoothies. And then I ate only fresh fruits and veggies. I set up a plan at the beginning of the week and ate the same thing everyday just to keep it simple and I figured up I was getting right around 1200 calories a day. I ate 5 times a day which included 5 smoothies. I also drank water and made green tea between meals.

I decided not to do any exercise. My energy wasn't the highest, and I didn't want to make it harder on myself by increasing my appetite.

I started last monday and a week later this morning I'm down 9.8lbs. It probably wasn't as beneficial as a fast and this week when I add some salt back into my diet my weight is probably going to go back up a little before down again, but I'm really happy with how it went. I'm thinking about doing it again next month for another week.

Wesa
08-09-2011, 11:34 AM
I am am day three of a thirty day juice fast. I make a fruity Juice for breakfast, the at the same time I make a whole pitcher of a green juice. Then I just sip it all day long. I have lost 4lbs after completing two days. I feel great so far and the cravings haven't got the best of me yet.I planed to have three regular meals sometime within the thirty days (that way I don't feel like missing out). I've been golfing, and playing tennis, but I'm going to try and get exercise every day of some sort. I do feel very energized by the juice.

Sophronia
08-09-2011, 01:10 PM
So, I did further research on the Reboot website, and it appears as though there are substantial differences between smoothies and juice. So, I went on Craig's List, found me a juicer for $20 that has never been opened (an unwanted wedding present, apparently), and I think I will try the actual juicing. I plan to make juice in the morning and take it to work, rather than trying to juice at work. It says it is optimal to drink the juice within 6 hours of making it, but I am still super excited about my non-optimal, but more practical (and therefore, more likely to be completed) plan.

Juicing, here I come! I think my official "start" date will be Friday, August 12. I am going on a long-planned vacation in mid-September, so a few days before that will be the definite end. I may just try the 10 days as well. Just want to see how it goes.

DezziePS
08-09-2011, 02:08 PM
I have considered juice fasting before, but I figured that a calorie is a calorie, so drinking 1200 calories of juice would cause me to lose at the same rate as eating 1200 calories of food, and the food seems to keep me full longer. What are the benefits of making fruits and veggies liquid rather than eating them in their solid state? Are any of you who have tried this experiencing gains once you go back on to solid food? I'm not trying to be negative at all, I just would love more of an understanding of juice fasting.

Mork
08-09-2011, 02:16 PM
I loved the movie, and have an old Juiceman juicer I picked up at the Goodwill. I'm not interested in fasting, but I am trying to drink one juice a day. I hope it helps my hair grow in.

liliesinmycereal
08-09-2011, 05:43 PM
I just requested it from my library. I'm fascinated to watch this now! :D

lottie63
08-09-2011, 07:45 PM
dezzips my bf has started to (slowly) reintroduce food (fruits and veg) along with juicing and has not regained.

I think if you're careful and don't binge after it's fine.

Also, the thing with juicing and why you don't just eat the veg/fruit is because if you were to actually eat as many veg as you juice, it would be pretty difficult. I use tons of fruit/veg in ONE juice, this way I get the nutrients, and my body is detoxing and it's not working hard to break through the fiber in fruits/veg, it's just getting an instant shot of goodness that goes right into your bloodstream. If you ate all the veg that you juice in a day you'd be eating all day to get the job done.

Kismet89
08-09-2011, 09:59 PM
I was just surfing my netflix for something to watch. I've had this in my queue for a while and am gonna check it out now. I love documentaries.

Sophronia
08-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Actually, what Lottie said is the reason that I'm attracted to juicing. I have tried for several weeks to eat almost exclusively fruits and vegetables, and it was exhausting trying to get in adequate calories. The juicing just seems so much easier. I've never had a problem with not eating, actually. It's just the in-between thing of eating but not overeating that I find so challenging.

InsideMe
08-09-2011, 11:20 PM
well me and my gf talked about this tonight and we really want to detox and it seems to be a great way to rid your body of toxins! We are going to do a 30 day fast and quite smoking starting in a week or so, we want to fully educate ourselves first. Also that movie isn't available to Canadians on Netflix :( went searching and it's not available.

Thighs Be Gone
08-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Watched this tonight! I cannot help it! I WANT TO JUICE!!!!

twinmommaplusone
08-10-2011, 12:39 AM
twinmomma, hmmmm, I have pcos, not having any issues there.

what do you mean 'go crazy'?

Each Cyster is different. For ME...my Pcos would go Crazy! I'm incredibly sensitive to sugar...hence all the fructose in the fruit would be an issue for me.

I love eating fresh fruits and vegatables and I try to organic alot too. It's expensive to eat the chewed stuff...let alone purchase the quantity to juice it.

I bought a juicer...not to cleanse but to implement the method into my food lifestyle but you know 15minutes to juice...clean the machine....and it took 4-5 apples to fill glass...well those Organic Apples cost me 4 dollars, lol

So It's just not for me. ALTHOUGH! It can be for others!

Good LUck!

Arctic Mama
08-10-2011, 01:30 AM
I haven't seen it, sounds interesting!

lottie63
08-10-2011, 08:46 AM
I've lost 8 lbs in 8 days and have decided to slowly start eating again. I wanted to go 10 days min, but I might be celebrating something tonight. (with a salad) ;) My sister is coming up too and they are coming late so we'll be getting dinner. Also, my ibs is starting to be bothered, I need to get some citrucel, I ran out around day 4. :( kept forgetting to buy more.

I won't weigh myself again until next thursday, once my body has had time to react to taking in food and sodium and settle back down and my ibs stops bothering me.

I plan to eat 1200 cals a day and juice for the other 300 cals, because I really feel it is beneficial.

PghGal
08-10-2011, 08:39 PM
I watched it a couple nights ago using Netflix.

I think it's a great idea, but for me, I like food too much to only drink juice.

I may end up getting a juicer though to supplement my meals, similar to what lottie63 said above. Even if you don't go in 100% as they show on the documentary, it still must be pretty beneficial.

Off to amazon.com to check out juicers ... :)

brillmama2
08-12-2011, 12:54 AM
I watched the documentary last night and am totaly excited about juicing.. I bought a juicer today and juiced some stuff. It is really tsty.. especialy with the ginger in it... I normaly don't like ginger but it adds that extra something to juice.. I am going to return the juicer tomorrow and just use my blender and strain with cheese cloth.. the juicer doesn't eleminate all the textured bits so it isn't worth the money to me when I have a great blender and food processor already in my kitchen.. I think after just tasting all the yummyness I may never buy boring oange juice again. And my kids loved it also.. I had no clue it would be so good, or easy... tomorrow I am adding it to my regular calorie counting diet, then we are going out of town for a couple days and then I am going to do the 30 day fast.. I have decided with reading mixed reviews I am going to juice like 1x a week then freeze in ice cubes then put in bags in freezer... I don't have the time or dedication to clean that much mess 3~5x day..
When my kids were babies I made there food similarly. Cooked it then froze as ice cubes.. I could grab a cube or two and it defrosted in no time... I am so excited!!!!

InsideMe
08-12-2011, 10:01 AM
My GF and I got a juicer yesterday too! HAHA! We did some carrots and celery WOW it's soooooo good! I feel rejuvenated just smelling the juice! I had such a kick of energy afterwards too I'm like WOW That's so much better than my protein shake! So we are starting a week detox this monday to clean out our insides, I'm so excited, hitting the Farmer's Market bright and early tomorrow to get some good organic fruits and veggies too. Good luck on the juicing!

brillmama2
08-12-2011, 10:12 AM
The first juice I made was carrot apple and ginger... it was super yummy. I lost 1.8 lbs yesterday and I know its from the juice!!!! And I feel so good. I am debating giving up coffe now instead of waiting till Tuesday when I plan on starting my fast... I am so eager to get into this.

InsideMe
08-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Me too! Good on yah, wow 1.8lbs that's amazing! Doesn't it just FEEL right? OMG it's soooo super healthy I LOVE IT! I feel like I'm drinking the energy of goodness from our Earth. It's living water it's soooo amazing! You'll have to post your progress as you do your fast. I'll do the same :)

brillmama2
08-12-2011, 04:55 PM
The green juice is horrible... Nut i am drinking it. I am telling myself is not as bad as beer...hopefuly it grows on me

Rainy Day
08-12-2011, 10:01 PM
I watched it on Netflix a few days ago after a friend recommended it. He's a total carnivore (and skinny to boot) but it had a big enough impact on him that he went and got himself a juicer and juices 2 or 3 glasses a day.

I'd like to start juicing and I guess I could find a cheap but good juicer. But I was wondering, for those of you who are exclusively juicing, how much does it cost you per day? I ask because I'm a poor college student working part-time :( In the documentary I think he mentioned around $10 a day? I think that's a bit much but maybe he's buying mostly organic.

lottie63
08-13-2011, 07:51 AM
he said non organic is 14$ a day.

it cost us about that, but for two people.

InsideMe
08-13-2011, 06:10 PM
OMG so today was day 1 and I can't do this! Way too hungry, I need to eat! So I'm going to juice breakfast and lunch and have a sensible dinner the next 3 days to do my detox but keep on raw diet. Had a spinach salad with tuna for dinner.

lottie63
08-13-2011, 08:03 PM
I actually found that after the first 2-3 days the hunger faded to below levels of being hungry on a day that I normally ate. I would get more hungry when eating food than when juicing! I juiced for one week.

Chantelle
08-14-2011, 03:24 AM
lottie63 - Nice job! Did you follow the plan(s) on the websites, with salads and stuff or did you just juice whatever you wanted? I was kinda thinking it was a little simpler than the website later implied, lol.

lottie63
08-14-2011, 08:09 AM
I just did juice.

Wyllowbelle
08-14-2011, 06:46 PM
I also watched the film and got a juicer. Today was my first day - though I'm not doing it the same way or for the same reasons. I have been running to quick and easy animal proteins during the day to fill me up. Yogurt, Lite String Cheese, Protein bars, Shakes. I was seriously skimping on my greens and naturals. So, the movie inspired ME to drink my veggies. I'm aiming for the 50% plant 25% protien 25% whole grains plate, myself. I am trying to just adopt that mentality from day one. I work out twice a day (I walk/race walk 3 miles in the morning and I alternate aerobics and pilates/weights every other day). I didn't want to completely go on a fast, but I do think breakfast and lunch from the juicer could be just what I need to get those changes made. Also, making up a pitcher of the mean green for snacks. If it's just as easy to pour my juice as it is to open a wrapper, I'll be prone to go for the healthier option.

My first juice was Kale, Carrot, Celery, Blueberry, Pineapple, and Pear. I call it the 1/2 and 1/2 (because it's 3 veggies, 3 fruits). I wanted something that would be sweet enough to encourage drinking it and not taste like grass. It looked like swamp but it tasted NUMMY!!!

Now, I can't wait to try more. The only thing I DONT like is cleaning the darned thing. Which may mean I make all the juice I can for the next day each evening so I only have to deal with the mess once!!

-Gulp Gulp!

-Kiki

InsideMe
08-14-2011, 09:51 PM
It wasn't just hunger I had super bad diahrrea! My butt was killing me by the end of the day no how much water I drank it made it worse. :( I have a super sensitive stomach. I so wish I could keep going but the agony was so bad. Is that because I'm so toxic? What else can I do to clean my insides out?

recycledartgirl
08-15-2011, 12:26 AM
I've had this in my Netflix instant queue for ages and saw this and finally got around to watching it tonight. I so want to try a 10-day juice fast now! From what I've read on here, it's pretty inspiring. Anything I should keep in mind?

Wyllowbelle
08-15-2011, 01:50 AM
Inside: I just think everyone is different. I drank two different 14 oz juices today. The first one (I already listed what was in that one) was sweet and mellow. The second one, Apple Carrot Ginger root - KICKED me in the GUTS.

But, I've stayed under 1500 calories and did all of my normal workout. I'm interested in how my energy feels tomorrow. And the day after that. Who knows - after playing with it for awhile, I may actually attempt the fast. Although I'll agree with the gals who say the web site way looks WAY more complicated than the movie made it seem!

Are you Juicing in the day and eating a dinner, then? How's that going, if so? (That's more or less what I'm doing).

-Kiki

Thighs Be Gone
08-15-2011, 11:12 AM
What juicer can someone recommend? I want cheap but good.

InsideMe
08-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Hey there, it's still giving me the run LOL! It's slowing down now, I've always had stomach issues but I figured this would help! The morning I made carrots, beets, swiss chard apple juice. It was really good, lunch was tomato, lime, onion, celery, cucumber, bell pepper and parsley. The diahrrea started within the hour of breakfast and lasted up until this morning, the worst being on Saturday and Sunday morning. I had fruit juice this morning and it doesn't bother me? (pineapple, strawberry and grapefruit)

So I'm taking a break to settle my tummy and try it again in smaller doses I think.

ETA: Oh I did have dinner on the Saturday (spinach salad with tuna) right now I'm back to my basic diet I've been doing to lose weight.

Sophronia
08-15-2011, 12:40 PM
The way I understand the plan, you really need to taper down on non-fruit and vegetable items and increase the fruits and veggies you take in to prepare for the fast, and you should be doing that for at least a week before you go all in on the fast. Then, the few days before the fast, you should be almost exclusively raw fruits and veggies. Maybe Lottie will correct me if I'm wrong. But yeah - that much fiber so fast will be a shock to your body. But even if you do it the way I describe, I understand that some juices (especially those involving kale) will cause you to hang out in the bathroom quite frequently (though not for long each time).

lottie63
08-15-2011, 05:51 PM
beets, carrots and apples are all good for constipation so maybe lay off of those a bit.

Trazey34
08-15-2011, 06:18 PM
is this a forever thing, as in you drink just juices from now on??? Or just til you lose weight? what happens when you start eating food again?? Do you miss chewing stuff??

InsideMe
08-15-2011, 07:28 PM
I missed chewing stuff for the day! LOL Ok maybe I need more research into this. Cause I'm definitely NOT constipated! LOL Back to the drawing board. Anybody have any good books or web resources I could use? Thanks!

lottie63
08-15-2011, 08:04 PM
I suggest the complete book of juicing.

lottie63
08-15-2011, 08:04 PM
the point of juicing should be the detox, weight loss is a pleasant side effect. you do it for so many days, not forever.

lottie63
08-15-2011, 08:05 PM
I noticed when I juice my brain fog lifts!

brillmama2
08-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Omg. I am terrible. I ate bbq... and tojorrow I start my juice fast....... here goes nothing

Wyllowbelle
08-15-2011, 11:32 PM
I'm loving my Juice. It's chemistry and experimentation. I have NO IDEA what it's doing to my calories - I'm tracking them as full fruits and veggies when they have no "juiced" options. And I'm probably tracking too high. Because man - it's off the chart.

I burn a lot in exercise, but all of a sudden my modest 1500 calories a day is like 2200. (which is net 800 by the time I take out work outs and nia. but none of THAT makes sense to me either).

I just know my energy is through the roof. I ended up adding about .75 miles to my already 2.5 walk. My aerobics was super bouncy and fun. I'm not sure how strength training will go tomorrow, but hopefully, I'll have just as much energy then, too.

I'm happy to be eating far more plants and far less animals, though. That's for sure.

-Kiki

brillmama2
08-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Wow kiki. I kope it feels that good for me...

Wyllowbelle
08-15-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm NOT fasting, though. Let's be clear with that! I'm using Juice to "eat" my breakfast (which I'm really REALLY bad about skipping) and Lunch. I eat Greek Yogurt, Low Fat Cottage Cheese, Dinner (which I usually take out from a South Beach cookbook), whole grains - just not many of them. And usually not the same day. Although some days, that fat tooth of mine gets me.

But the fast is totally different I'm SURE. The detox and the energy level and all of it. One of the reasons I don't want to fast is that I'm not willing to give up my working out. I think I'm an endorphin junkie. :dizzy:

-Kiki

kariatari
08-15-2011, 11:47 PM
I recently saw that documentary and have been recommending it to all of my friends and family - partly because the idea just totally make sense, and partly because it's filmed largely in Iowa. :) I had no idea the film made several visits to Iowa when I started it, but I've actually been to that co-op in Spirit Lake, IA featured in the film. While I don't think I could do the 90 day juice diet, I'd definitely be interested in doing the 10 day detox, like the woman in Waterloo. Good to know there are others on this board doing the juicing thing; now I know where to come for recipes and tips!

HeyHeyGabby
08-16-2011, 01:52 AM
Finished the documentary an hour ago. Visited the site. Bought a juicer and a juicing recipe book. Talked to my mom about working out a money plan for all my fruits and veggies I'm gonna be getting...

I'm going to start with the 10 days... But I definitely won't stop there if I think I can make it longer.

Serafina
08-16-2011, 02:22 AM
We watched this not so long ago and also bought a juicer! We started out just juicing for breakfast and lunch and then eating a sensible dinner because we both work out regularly and were concerned that we'd not have enough energy.

Recently I bought a book with other juice recipes in it that included blended fruit/veg to make the juices thicker. I'm going to try this after the kids start school again.

But for now Jillian Michaels is kicking my butt and I'm just trying to eat moderately. :)

PacSunMama
08-16-2011, 03:25 AM
This is really interesting. I will watch it tomorrow.

No hope for me to do anything like this though. I am allergic to most raw fruits and veggies. :(

lottie63
08-16-2011, 09:17 AM
pacsun are you allergic to chlorophyll?

Sophronia
08-16-2011, 10:16 AM
I talked to my friend who has a Ph.D. in immunology, and just asked for his opinion. He said he has considered doing a juice fast (but hasn't for reasons unrelated to the health issues), and thinks it would be great. I asked what he thought about a 60-day juice fast, and he had some interesting answers.

He said, first, that you would lose weight so fast that people would start asking if you had cancer AIDS. He also said, and I thought this was super interesting if true, that once a person starts eating again, her body isn't used to having to divert energy to the digestive system, so she may pass out just from the energy required to eat solid food again.

Anyone know anything about that? He said you would have to go some time - not just 10 days or so.

brillmama2
08-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Today is juice fas day 1... I am excited so we shall see how it goes.. and ibout the energy thing. I bet that's a stretch that you pass out.. I defenatly know that you have to take it slow and not go from 60days of juice to steak and eggs. It is a start to a lifetime change...

PacSunMama
08-16-2011, 12:22 PM
pacsun are you allergic to chlorophyll?

I'm actually allergic to trees and pollens, and the raw fruits and veggies that are related. It's called oral allergy syndrome and I have it pretty badly. :( When cooked, all the foods are fine.

HeyHeyGabby
08-16-2011, 08:44 PM
I definitely think it's something you have to educate yourself on. If I end up going for 60 days (I'm secretly hoping for this), then when I start eating again, it will most likely just be solid fruits and vegetables. Then adding in nuts and legumes.

Rachel1888
08-16-2011, 10:47 PM
My mother watched this and wanted us to go on it....but i'm weak and was crying out for a cheeseburger on day 3 :(

brillmama2
08-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Made it all day... it was easy till it was time to make dinner... I almost caved for the juicy ribeys I bbqd for the family... but I did it. I think I can do this.but I really need a juicer. I have been blending then hand pressing and its a pain in the ***.

luckymommy
08-16-2011, 11:37 PM
I saw this movie and I loved it. I have a question....hope I'm not repeating here if it has already been asked. Why do people juice as opposed to having smoothies? I feel like the smoothies are so filling and they give you fiber. I don't fast but I have incorporated green smoothies into my days and I absolutely love how they make me feel. Just wondering why people are so much more into juicing? :)

brillmama2
08-17-2011, 12:02 AM
I have been reading all about this online and this is what I have come up with.
It has to do with shutting down of the digestion track so your body can use all your energy to eliminate fat and toxins. If you consume the pulp you will get the fiber and that will cause your digestion system to turn on and your body will not do the detox as well...
I am unsure if I am accurate. Google it. There are tons of opinions and articles... many are controversial and unclear so good luck!

luckymommy
08-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks brillmama2! I did try to do some research, but as you mentioned, there are many varying opinions and it's hard to know which ones are right. That said, I can understand the logic behind juicing when doing a complete juice fast since you're giving your body a complete break from digestion. However, since I'm not doing the fast and just want to increase my vitamin intake via food, I will stick with my green smoothies. I made a very good one yesterday. I used 1 green apple, juice from half a lemon, water, 1/2 bunch of parsley, one full head of bok choy (not baby bok choy) and chopped ginger...oh and 2 small beets. It had a nice kick to it! Thought I'd mention it in case anyone wants to try it. Congrats to everyone for including more fruits and veggies in their lives. You can't go wrong with that! :)

Trazey34
08-17-2011, 09:58 AM
it's a neat idea once a week or so to give your system a rest, but I don't think we ever need a day off from "digestion", our internal organs are there to work after all -- we don't need a day off from using or lungs or pancreas, they're just there and they work. Not overloading it with cheeseburgers and coke and fries seems an EXCELLENT idea however lol and some nice healthy juice can't hurt!

Wesa
08-18-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm on day 12 of juicing.. I feel great so far, and most of my juices have been really good( had one bad run-in with :0{ beets). I've lost 9lbs. so far. I'm not supper strict, I eat raw almonds if I feel really hungry or an avocado . One day I ate spaghetti, but my body craves the Juice so it's easy to keep going. To those worried about not having enough energy for work(or workouts), it feels like I have more energy than ever!

brillmama2
08-18-2011, 11:07 AM
I am on day 3. I have lost 5lbs. I. Wasn't going to way. But I just am addicted to my scale. Yesterday was ruff I was achey and soar. My nose was running and all I wanted to do was lay around.. but I know it is part of my body detoxing. I feel way better this am. I haven't been hungry like I thought I would. I only want food when I am preparing my kids dishes.. but it passes quickly.

brillmama2
08-18-2011, 01:25 PM
I broke my fast. Lol not really but kinda I guess. Without thinking I got a piece of gum and chewed on it for about half an hour then I was like wth? Wered this come from? Grrr. Oops!

Sophronia
08-18-2011, 03:01 PM
I am so determined to do this, but want to make sure I can make it happen long-term. I have had no luck in finding a good quality, used juicer. (I thought I had, but it was a citrus juicer only. Not going to do an OJ-only juice fast. =) )

I remember reading at some point about an alternative to fresh juice. Even though I imagine it would be expensive, buying a good quality juicer and lots of fresh produce is pretty pricey as well.

Unfortunately, I can't find it now. Does anyone know what a feasible alternative would be? I know I can fast indefinitely without food, but I am not interested in that. Rather, I want the massive quantities of micronutrients I could get with a juice fast!

brillmama2
08-18-2011, 05:24 PM
You could use a blender or food processer and hand press it with cheese cloth

Sophronia
08-22-2011, 02:20 PM
I finally priced juicers (why did it take so long?), and discovered that instead of $150 for a cheap juicer, I could get one for $30. Not a great one, I'm sure, and it probably won't last long, but I can do $30 even on a student budget for something I want this much.

For the first few days, I think I'm sticking with the Mean Green Juice from the movie. My 15YO son and I made enough to get through Wednesday, and just froze the stuff I wasn't going to drink today.

The juice is not great, but it's managable. I'll be tweaking with recipes, probably.

I also have a Urinary Tract Infection and have come down with a cold. And, of course, it's also my first day back to school. When my blood pressure was up at the clinic this morning, they asked me if today was a stressful day. =)

The upside of being sick, though, is that I have virtually no appetite, so not dealing with the hunger some people describe on the first day. And I'm a little miserable just because of that. I think I'm going to just try to sleep tonight - to-do list or not - so that I can hopefully feel better and be more productive tomorrow.

For now, I'm at work, will be preparing for tomorrow's classes after that, and will then tackle my second job.

Hoping I'll still get that kick of energy that everyone talks about and be able to increase my productivity significantly in a few days!

Wyllowbelle
08-22-2011, 03:25 PM
So I juiced beets. That was. Beetish. Not my favorite, but I got through it. They are SUPER powerful cleansers, so you're not supposed to have more than 2 oz max (1 small beet - they're sweeter when they're smaller) or half a medium beet. And you're supposed to juice the tops, too.

So far, I'm juicing for breakfast and lunch and eating dinner. I broke my plateau (YAY!) and am losing steadily and still having the energy to work out AND walk with more to spare.

I am contemplating a fast once my partner Eric goes back to Portland to finish school because, frankly, my parents will start cooking again (I'll be in school here) and they have no regard to how I'm trying to eat or what I won't eat. So I see it as incentive to fast.

We'll see. So far, I'm digging what I'm doing. My veggie and fruit intakes are up to 12 - 14 a day! Yay!

PS I started with the 30 dollar juicer. I plan on getting a new heavy duty industrial one with my financial aid.

Keep Drinking!
-Kiki

brillmama2
08-22-2011, 05:59 PM
I am on day 7. I have had nothing except veggie and fruit juices and 1 mango and watermelon. Oh and the dumb piece of gum.. still don't really know when I put it in my mouth.. lol
Today I feel beter than I have all week. I almost decided to quit. But I decided to push to ten days. I do fine with hunger ecsept when I am preparing meals for the kids. Or if I don't get my mourning juice a get trembly and nautious. Good luck and keep me posted.

lottie63
08-22-2011, 07:23 PM
ANother great documentary is forks over knives, have you guys seen it? I liked it a lot, www.forksoverknives.com the trailer can be found on the website.

Also, I'm doing a giveaway on my blog for the forks over knives dvd, the companion info/recipe book and the book, the china study, which is often referenced in the movie, If you want to enter to win just go to: http://beyondwillpower.blogspot.com/2011/08/new-contest-forks-over-knives-gift.html and follow the instructions on how to enter!

Thought this might interest you guys! :D

Thighs Be Gone
08-22-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm on day 12 of juicing.. I feel great so far, and most of my juices have been really good( had one bad run-in with :0{ beets). I've lost 9lbs. so far. I'm not supper strict, I eat raw almonds if I feel really hungry or an avocado . One day I ate spaghetti, but my body craves the Juice so it's easy to keep going. To those worried about not having enough energy for work(or workouts), it feels like I have more energy than ever!

Thank you so much for this update! VERY helpful as I want to start too.

I don't have a juicer! :( I just spent hundreds of dollars on school clothing and supplies and don't really want to invest right now. I am seeing some debate here on blender/juicer comparison. For those of you already doing it, should I just go for it with my blender?

Thighs Be Gone
08-22-2011, 07:29 PM
BTW...those with the $30 juicer--where do I find it? What is the brand?

Sophronia
08-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Got my juicer at Wal-Mart. My dad said the $50 one is 100 times better. But I'm a student. I'm told it's Black and Decker. It seems to work fine. I keep getting told it won't last long. But we'll see.

Good luck!

Thighs Be Gone
08-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Update..I found a Juiceman Juicer for $30 on Craigslist..it's in the original packaged and the lady said she only used it a couple of times..I think I am going to get it today

brillmama2
08-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Yesterday I decided I was haveing a salad for dinner. It was served with bacon and cheese. I took as much as I cound off and only put like a tablespoon of the light asian dressing on. I thought I was going to be sick. My belly was so upset... and I have been loosing about 1.5lbs a day and I gaiined a fe ounces... wtf. It was a green salad. I am so disapointed I don't know what to bdo.. juice or not. I don't want to gain the weight back.. all I had was my am juice, lunch juice. I went on a 5mile bike ride and hiked all day. I don't care if its a few ounces I shouldn't have gained any.... advice anyone? I am either going to go back to full time juicing or mixed or counting calories eating healthy

lottie63
08-23-2011, 11:55 AM
it's the WEIGHT of the food. food has weight. you didn't gain fat. chill out :)

Sophronia
08-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Scales are not particularly good ways to measure our progress. We use them because they're tangible and give immediate feedback, and they are great for accountability. But our bodies are so variable with water, fat/muscle composition, and, as Lottie said, the weight of the food and water we consume and have not processed, etc., scale freak-outs are easy to have. There's lots of debate on whether to weigh, how often to weigh, what kind of scale should be used, when to weigh, etc. because of this variability.

And -

Day #2 of my fast! Yay! I did have a little bit of tuna yesterday - it was in my van on my 40-mile drive home, and I ate it. =( (Not juice, and not even vegan - but not beating myself up at all. Today will be better.) I watched the documentary again last night (or had it on in the background as I cleaned my house, more accurately), and saw how hard it was for Joe, Phil, and the woman whose name I can't remember to get through the first few days.

Still sick, and not sure which of my symptoms comes from what. I have a UTI and a cold, plus the detox symptoms. But not sick like I was with the kidney stones in June/July, so can still be productive, even if not optimally productive. I envied Joe just lying in bed sleeping off his misery. But, really, I'm not miserable enough to want to stay in bed all day anyway, so why am I whining?

Still not loving the juice, but really tasting all the flavors in it, which is good. Buying produce tonight for my next batch of juice, and I guarantee it will have ginger, a little bit of apple, kale, cucumber, and celery. I am actually really excited about getting through my less-than-ideal-tasting juice blend that I froze for consumption through tomorrow or Thursday and finding something I like even better.

Going to put off weighing until next Monday. I am having problems keeping mentally tough when I get negative feedback from the scale, and weighing weekly helps stave those off.

brillmama2
08-23-2011, 12:31 PM
I know I am kinda freaking over nothing... thx. I recomnd adding extra cucumber to the mean green recipe.. or apples if you need it sweeter. The cucumber seams to melow out the unique flavor of the kale!! Unique horrible however you word it. Lol. I am going to go attempt a run and contemplate life and food!

Thighs Be Gone
08-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Hey--you hiked and exercised like a banshee!! You are retaining fluid in your muscles most likely.

I GOT MY JUICER!!!!

puneri
08-23-2011, 05:38 PM
i am just wondering why juice the roughage gets crushed. If the fiber is intact isnt it better?
I know it is difficult, I did it once. I was on water and coconut water for a week. then i ate 8 days and again water therapy for 8 days. the weight reduced first time. second time not so fast. But i used to get headaches all the time for 2-3 days. But i used to feel completely drained out of energy.

brillmama2
08-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Yay! What kind did you get. I got a new one also and returned my juice man express. They are wasteful. And don't do great on the leafy green...

Sophronia
08-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Puneri - There is a lot of debate between juicing and smoothies (which retain the roughage).

Just one example:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/juice-vs-smoothie-which-is-better-for-your-health-1522406

Sophronia
08-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Starting Day 3 of the juice fast!

Got antibiotics for the UTI on Monday, and the symptoms from that have cleared. Yay! The cold is getting worse (as per its usual course), and has settled into my chest. So, I am in class with some of my professors for the first time disrupting their classes with the coughing and sneezing. Sure they love that. So, I have taken some daytime cold medicine. Don't know how that impacts the fast, but...

Day #3, and I feel awful! Achy, chest hurts, coughing, nose stuffed, running and sneezing, light-headed, and "spacey." How much is from the cold? How much is from the cold medicine? How much is from the juice fast? I guess I neither know nor care at this point.

But I'm not super hungry. Am liking the juice better. Am looking forward to juicing the next batch.

Thighs Be Gone
08-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Yay! What kind did you get. I got a new one also and returned my juice man express. They are wasteful. And don't do great on the leafy green...

Hey Brill--I got the Juiceman Juicer.
How are things going for you? What regular foods are you eating--what juice recipe and how is progress going?

Sophronia
08-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Day #4.

Still have a cold. Feeling all right otherwise. Finding it hard to drink sufficient juice to get enough calories.

Can't wait for the energized, feeling great stage. Still not weighing. Will weigh again on Monday.

Wyllowbelle
08-25-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm upgrading my cheapo walmart 30 dollar special (I wanted to make sure I was into the idea before dropping the bucks and all) so I'm doing research now. I know Breville gets all the press, but they're spendy in a big way. What about Omega? They seem spendy, but people love them.

any other ideas?

Cheers,

-Kiki

brillmama2
08-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Ok Monday I had the salad. Tuesday I had juice a fiber oned bar and a banana. And 1a bite of chicken. Wednesday I had juice and a mango and a couple bites of steak 1/4cup of rice and cucumber. I have been drinking plenty of water.
My weight has maintained since Monday. Within a few ounces. I am at 181.4 this am. But (tmi I know) I haven't ummm had any movement in a couple days... I am glad to not have gained but realy wanted to be under 180 for my halloween challenge Friday waigh in.
My mourning juice is carrot apple ginger. I add about 30% water cause its super sweet. And my lunch juice is kale cucumber and pineapple this week! Its super fresh and yummy.

If you have a cash and carry near you I recomend shoppong for your produce there. My cuces added up to less than 30 cents a piece... yay!
I think I am going to do all juice today and see it I can get this last darn pound off for my weigh in tomorrow.
My new juicer is amazing. I had the juiceman one and I felt very wasteful when I reached in the pulp bin and could squeeze out juice. I got a bravvila or something like that! It has multi speed so I can slow it down for soft or leaft things or speed it up for my carrots. Also ot is way and I mean way easier to clean. The juicer mesh screen thing in the juiceman always needed scrubbed and scrubbed and then id thinkb it was clean oh no no more stuff in the grooves and cracks... if you have the budget go for brevvia 5speed one its great!

brillmama2
08-25-2011, 11:15 AM
It is the breville model number bje510xl. And I got it at bed bath and beyond for 179

Sophronia
08-25-2011, 07:35 PM
So, since I have been feeling sick and trying to get my new schedule figured out, I have not exercised Mon, Tues., or Wed. Decided enough was enough, and fit the gym in between my last class and getting to work. That won't work very often, but I have a night class, and it seemed like the right thing today.

I was so surprised. I'm still feeling the chest cold, so between that and the asthma, I had some difficulty breathing.

BUT - I ran farther and for longer than ever before in my current journey. I felt like if I could have breathed, I could have gone on forever. Day 4 is it, baby! I feel like I never need to eat again! Juice is it.

Chantelle
08-29-2011, 03:42 PM
I am on day 3 (technically day 2.5 since I ate on Saturday night >_<) and starting to feel soo much better than I did on Friday! DH and I invested in the Breville... $300 worth of OWWW but all the cheaper ones were sold out everywhere I looked! :eek: At least we got it from Zappo's - yay for their 1 year return policy should we not like it! :carrot:

The hunger pangs are definitely dying down but I was SO out of it the first day.. headache, crankiness, fatigue, you name it, I had it. We are aiming for a 10 day fast and will adjust it as necessary.. admittedly I am keeping some veggies such as cauliflower on hand to nibble on in case I really can't handle it, but other than the increased number of times I have to pee, I'm really liking this! :)

brillmama2
08-31-2011, 12:13 AM
How's everyone doing with there fast? I have been off bout a week and my weight hasn't moved. But I am still drinking juice .. no caffene and only 1 diet coke and rum last weekend... lol that's good I usually hav e a few on the weekends.. hope your cold went away. And how's the new juicer working for you?

Sophronia
08-31-2011, 12:19 AM
The cost of produce is prohibitive for me, so when my last juice batch (which was supposed to last five days) turned out not-as-tasty-as-I-hoped, I went back to food. Five days on the fast, though. And I'm going back to it tomorrow. I'll drink my super-cucumbery juice and be happy for the strength and vitality it gives me!

Tomorrow morning, baby! And I had to get rid of the taffy in the office tonight finally. I thought I would "one more piece" it until I had eaten 87 pieces! The chips are still here, though. Thursday night's the night. They will be gone by Thursday or they will be given away.

Chantelle
08-31-2011, 02:34 PM
I am juicing for breakfast and lunch (snacking on steamed cauliflower w/ 1T parmesan cheese if I get hungry) and eating an oven roasted chicken salad w/ sweet onion dressing from Subway for dinner. I'm down a little over 3lbs since Saturday and feeling great. Hunger pangs have diminished significantly and I'm not tired in the morning anymore..although I do find myself wanting to go to bed at a much more sensible hour than before!

Sophronia you are correct though, the cost is pretty ridiculous. I think DH and I are going to drink primarily mean green juice (since the only expensive thing in it is kale) rather than trying to integrate such a wide variety of veggies everyday. It's still WAY more vegetables than we were eating before.