Living Maintenance - Maintainers Moving in August

View Full Version : Maintainers Moving in August

saef
08-01-2011, 09:16 PM
It's finally here: The month when people tend to escape the daily grind and go away on vacations.

On your vacation, are you going to be able to keep up? Keep your energy level high? Do all those activities that you want to do? Do things you thought you'd never do when you were heavier?

Of course you will. Because you've been moving all year round.

And there's no reason to stop in August.

In August, everyone should run on a beach.
At least once.
At least for ten steps.

Even if you can't look like this while doing it. This is genetics. And a great photographer.
(This woman may never have been in the same room with a carb. Maybe not even in the same building.)
Hey, we can dream, right?

http://looklikeanathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/running_woman.jpg

saef
08-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Monday, August 1:

60 minutes arc trainer, hill intervals, resistance at nine
60 minutes circuit training class

I'm trying to decide if it is motivating or demotivating to have my personal TV on the cardio machine tuned to one of the "Real Housewives" series. Those women look like aliens. It's because of what they do to their faces, surgically & with shots & with contoured makeup. Their legs are uniformly great, though. Occasionally you see one working out, but not often. That's not as interesting as when they're getting angry with one another or ganging up on one of the others. There has to be a Real Housewives workout video out there someplace. I think it would be fabulously campy and funny. I need to Google that and possibly buy it.

traveling michele
08-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Monday August 1: 60 minutes Body Pump

Totals:
1 day
60 minutes

luckymommy
08-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Monday Aug. 1: 25 min. arc trainer (100 resistance, 10 incline) + 5 min. rowing machine. Weights -- lower body and abs. Played tennis with my son, walked the dog too.

saef
08-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Tuesday, Aug. 2:

10 minute warmup on Stairmaster, resistance at nine, aerobic intervals
60 minute back and biceps routine
45 spin class with weights

The instructor cracked her hour-long CD so we had a 45-minute class, which thus felt short. I was glad to get out tonight as my ankles and legs were puffy with retained fluid. I think this happens when I sit at my desk a long time. Also I had some hummus at lunch, which was probably high in sodium.

luckymommy
08-03-2011, 12:30 AM
Tuesday Aug. 2:
30 min. elliptical
15 min. weights
30 min. walked the big shaggy dog
20 min. tennis with my son (just hitting ball against the wall)
Did tons of housework today.....

traveling michele
08-03-2011, 01:36 AM
Monday August 1: 60 minutes Body Pump

Totals:
1 day
60 minutes

August 2: 60 minutes Boot Camp class

Totals:
2 days
120 minutes

saef
08-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Wednesday, Aug. 3:

45 minute spin class with weights
30 minutes Pilates mat routine on my own

Cool delightful weather this morning and I feel comfortably abreast of my work & with the morning cardio to work off the tension of another day. This could be a good day if I handle it carefully.

paperclippy
08-03-2011, 10:50 AM
August 1:
nothing

August 2:
20 min pilates "butt blaster" routine
8 min pilates ab routine

paperclippy
08-03-2011, 02:06 PM
August 3:
30 min + 5 min cooldown on the stationary bike "aerobics" program level 6

luckymommy
08-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Wed. Aug. 3
Ultimate Burn class (1 hour) at my gym....I has to hold back the vomit with this one. It created a new definition for pain. Can't wait to do it again next week, as it's only offered once a week.

luckymommy
08-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Thursday Aug. 4: 1 hour Zumba. Will walk the dog n play some tennis w my son later. :)

saef
08-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Thursday, Aug. 4:

45 minutes elliptical, resistance at 8, random intervals, half backward
60 minutes Pilates class

Feeling, well, swollen tonight, even after working out and sweating. I think I may be ovulating. I do not foresee a good weigh-in tomorrow morning. I will try to be kind to myself afterward, and practical.

LuckyMommy, you took a class that left you close to vomiting?! Oh my goodness.

I sometimes feel existential despair during my exercise classes, and wonder if I can hold out even a second longer, but I haven't yet felt nauseous.

I used to wonder when I would, though, after seeing so many exercise sessions on TV in which people puked. Puking was a repeated "Biggest Loser" motif. I think Jillian yelled out the word at least a couple times. I think in that show it was a desirable sign of having put in a great deal of effort.

JayEll
08-04-2011, 10:11 PM
I don't understand working out until you puke. It has to be some kind of macho thing. And I really don't understand going back and doing it again.

I once got sick in a martial arts class because I ate too soon before class. We weren't even doing anything particularly strenuous physically, but we were employing a great deal of chi, essentially standing in horse posture. Wup! Off to the restroom...

I watched what I did before class after that.

Jay

traveling michele
08-04-2011, 11:11 PM
August 2: 60 minutes Boot Camp class

Totals:
2 days
120 minutes

August 3: 90 minutes Bikram Yoga

August 4: 60 minutes Hip Hop class

Totals:
4 days
270 minutes

luckymommy
08-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Saef, I don't usually push myself to that point, but I really wanted to just see if I could do it. Honestly, I didn't do half as much as the instructor...ok, maybe half. She must be some sort of a super athlete. I'm one of these people that does whatever a trainer tells me, which is why I never hire a personal trainer anymore because I always end up getting injured. Every trainer has always assured me that I wouldn't get injured, but I did. So, I've avoided certain classes because I know I'll do whatever it is that they say to do. But, I pay such high fees at my gym, I just couldn't justify them anymore....so I've incorporated a lot more classes. They push me beyond my comfort zone and I've seen some good outcomes from making this change. I do think this class is a bit overkill....but I thought that perhaps I could become more athletic...although now I'm not sure if that's even possible. Sorry for the ramble! ;)

saef
08-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Luckymommy, you need to pay attention to your body. If you feel like vomiting, something is wrong and you need to stop. If you feel you're at the edge of an injury, you need to stop. You also need to share that information with those trainers and talk with them about modifications or changes. There has to be a dialogue. They are working for you and with you. They are not authority figures whom you must blindly obey.

Actually, there is no one in life we ought to show that much obedience to. Particularly if they hurt us. I do hope this is not something that happens in other parts of your life as well!

As for me ....

Friday, August 5:

10 minutes warmup on the Stairmaster, aerobic setting, resistance at 10, and this setting pushed me pretty good.
60 minutes arm and shoulders routine
45 minutes arc trainer, interval setting, resistance at nine

An elderly man sat on the weight bench for a long time, unmoving, with the weights down at his side. His face was hard to read. I wanted to use that bench but felt that I did not want to interrupt his reverie. I went downstairs to use the ladies room, came back upstairs. Still sitting there, not moving. I got water. He was still there.
Finally heaved himself up with a sigh and went to a machine. I asked if he was done and he told me yes, yes, yes he was. This man was unhappy or just tired.

Getting old is not for sissies.

luckymommy
08-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Saef, point well taken. I do need to stop this little insane game I play. I kind of feel like if I do everything they tell me, then I'll be where I want to be (even though I'm kind of there? go figure). As for it being this way in other parts of my life....no, not really. I tend to be nice to a fault so I tend to attract people in desperate need of friendship or support...but I've been working on that part of my life as well. Anyway, I will take the time to talk to the instructor before the class. I kind of feel silly doing that because this class seems to be aimed at the super athletic type, so I'm afraid they'll suggest I do a different class, but I think it's worth a shot. :)

By the way, when you mentioned that elderly man, I was kind of worried that perhaps he had passed on? I'm so glad he didn't! Whew! Once I was at my gym and right when I got there, a small crowd had gathered around a very heavy man who was on the floor, having a heart attack. One of the employees had attached a defib. unit to him until the ambulance got there (btw, they didn't seem to be in any rush to come and get him!). I was absolutely stunned to see that many of the people at the gym (well, just about everyone! continued working out!!!). I felt repulsed by their attitude and I went home and cried. Later in the week, I inquired about that man and he actually survived and even later, I found out that he and his wife took the employee who saved him out to lunch. :)

Today, August 5, I walked the dog for 30 minutes.
30 minutes elliptical
5 minutes rowing machine

saef
08-06-2011, 11:51 AM
No, Luckymommy, the man hadn't passed on. He was upright, his eyes were open, but his head was down. He just seemed to be thinking deeply about something that made him unhappy. Perhaps his health. When I see men his age in the gym, and they're new, I always wonder if they have had a health scare or if they are there under a doctor's or a physical therapist's orders.

I am glad you are listening to your body and taking care of it.

My question to you -- and also for myself -- is this: Do we really want to look like fitness professionals, only we have not articulated that goal clearly to ourselves? What is the goal these days?

Saturday, August 6:

60 minute spin class, with weights
60 minute Pilates class

Very early this morning, around 7 am, I managed to get to one of the small grocery stores whose produce is good quality and priced well for this area. So today I brought one of my friends at the gym a small container of coconut water, which she likes to drink as a recovery drink after working out. She is extolling its virtues. When I hear such things, I always wonder, "Fad or fact?" I liked the potassium content on the container but the grams of sugar seemed high. I wish sometimes I weren't so worried about sugar, but I am.

luckymommy
08-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks Saef. :)

Saturday Aug. 6:
40 minutes of cardio (elliptical, step mill, jogging)
15 min. weights.

Going out of town so wish me luck!!!!

krampus
08-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Monday, August 1: 1 hour walk with almost-elderly mom
Tuesday, August 2: 40 minute jog, 1 hour walk, 1 hour Zumba class, 50 pushups, 100 crunches
Wednesday, August 3: 1 hour walk, 50 pushups
Thursday, August 4: 1 hour walk, dancing at a club that sort of resembled squats (heehee)
Friday, August 5: 1 hour walk, miserably slow 20 minute jog
Saturday, August 6: 1 hour walk, thinking about doing the "100 Workout" but sleep deprived + hungry at the moment

JayEll
08-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Do we really want to look like fitness professionals, only we have not articulated that goal clearly to ourselves? What is the goal these days?

This question needs some serious consideration. Is this level of exercise and the time commitment it involves what you want to keep doing the rest of your life? Do you want to endlessly increase the pounds you can bench press? The speed at which you can turn the pedals or run on the treadmill? Why is that?

I scaled back my exercise awhile ago because it was hurting me. I'm not sorry I did. My goal was to become fit, not become an athlete, not to become a masochist, and especially not to have yet another area of my life in which I could become an "overachiever."

I see older people at the gym a lot. Some of the men do sit around like that in various places, especially where the weights are--because they can pretend they are resting between sets. I suspect the reason is that their wives are trying to enforce an exercise regimen on them, having gotten the doctor's report. Sometimes their wives are there with them--off in an area far away, where they can't keep an eye on the husbands. You can lead a horse to water...

Jay

Mudpie
08-06-2011, 03:09 PM
My entire day at work is a workout (with many different facets). But if I ever feel ill I stop, take the dogs into the shade and wait a couple of minutes. Ditto in the winter. If my fingers go numb (or the dog's noses start to bleed from the cold) we go to where it's warm.

Same goes for weights, yoga, paddling, etc. If it makes me :barf: I slow it down. Much as I admire some very fit women's bodies I'm too old/tired/lazy to go to ridiculous lengths to try to look like them.

I work out until I'm pleasantly tired and maybe have some small twinges of muscle pain the next day if I'm doing something out of the usual. I finally stopped sessions with my personal trainer because she was 26 and treated me like I was her age (I was 52 at the time). She couldn't get that I didn't want to become better and better and stronger and stronger and push, push, push until I hurt myself. I was happy being toned and being able to lift my boat down from the rack into the water - those were my goals that I reached and am maintaining to this day.

I had to stop watching "Biggest Loser" because I couldn't stand Jillian's approach. I'm definitely on Bob's team - coached along rather than hectored and bullied. Most of the time I wanted to give Jillian a good clout on the ear!

Dagmar (fitness should be fun!)

saef
08-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Sunday, August 7:

10:07 minute warmup rowing on the Concept 2, which took me to 2,014 meters
60 minutes back & biceps routine
45 minute spin class, definitely high-intensity as it was a series of sprints, ladder sprints, hill sprints, standing sprints

Now off downtown to see a four-and-a-half-hour movie. Thank goodness there's an intermission in the middle to let the audience move around.

luckymommy
08-07-2011, 03:21 PM
30 min. interval training (walking/sprinting)...impressive since I'm out of town and hardly slept. ;)

Mudpie
08-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Sunday, August 7:

10:07 minute warmup rowing on the Concept 2, which took me to 2,014 meters
45 minute spin class, definitely high-intensity as it was a series of sprints, ladder sprints, hill sprints, standing sprints

Now off downtown to see a four-and-a-half-hour movie. Thank goodness there's an intermission in the middle to let the audience move around.

And I imagine most of the audience (if they're anything like me) will have to run to the rest room. :p

What movie did you see?

Dagmar

saef
08-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Dagmar, we did line up for the restroom, but thankfully, the intermission was 20 minutes long.

"Mysteries of Lisbon" was the name of the movie. Its director, Ruiz, is pretty wonderful. It ran as a six-hour series on TV in Europe. There is a four-and-a-half-hour movie version out now. It's a period film. It's so very 19th century. There's a duel. There are ballroom scenes. There is conniving going on underneath painted Italian murals. There are countesses and marquises and duchesses. There are notes exchanged. There are white horses pulling coaches through green, green fields. The silk gowns are gorgeous. The hair is piled up, the earrings glitter. The men look so very handsome with their chins resting on top of white cravats, wearing their knee-high shiny polished boots. People faint from excessive emotion. They retire to convents. Or they die in their beds from no visible sickness but unhappiness. I love this stuff. I cannot get enough. Four and a half hours of it is fine by me. (As long as there's an intermission in the middle. ;)

paperclippy
08-08-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm behind apparently.

August 4: none

August 5: pilates
- inner thigh insanity
- uh oh obliques

August 6:
36 min, 8.57 mile bike ride (14.1mph)

August 7:
15 mins scrubbing the shower

August 8: pilates
- legs & thighs
- muffin top exterminator
- back attack

saef
08-08-2011, 09:29 PM
- inner thigh insanity
- uh oh obliques
- muffin top exterminator
- back attack

Jessica, your workouts sound more fun than mine, dammit, or else they've been named by someone with a sense of humor who's great at marketing. Are these the Pop Pilates videos? I watched one & liked what I saw but have not had time to click through the series. How many are there?

As for me:

Monday, August 8:

I turned the TV on my cardio station from financial market news -- which I'd been glancing at all day long while at the office -- to the Millionaire Matchmaker on Bravo (who boasts a great success rate but whose show mostly shows Things That Can Go Wrong on a First Date). I need to live in the present & focus on what is immediately in front of me & stop my mind from endless speculating about what all this will lead to. Because I can't affect the financial markets no matter how much I worry.

paperclippy
08-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Saef, yes, those are Pop Pilates. She has a whole lot of them, I'm not sure how many.

saef
08-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Tuesday, August 9th:

10 minutes warmup on Stairmaster, aerobic setting, resistance at 10
60 minutes arm & shoulders routine
60 minutes spin class with weights

I had a great spin class tonight. I don't know what got in me. It reminds me of a long time ago -- years ago -- years & years ago -- when I used to ride, and when I'd have a good riding lesson, and be really ON, I mean, really **with** the horse, and the world seemed perfectly balanced. And I'd think, Oh how I wish life could always be like this. Everything would seem calm afterward, and clearer, and in focus. Even walking the horse to cool him down afterward, with a chorus of evening bugs buzzing in the background, made me feel slightly high, elated but calm, not overexcited. Same feelings tonight walking home from spin in slightly foggy weather, from the day's rain and humidity. I don't know why this happens periodically. I don't know what circumstances coincide. I don't know if it's serotonin levels even, for God's sake. But it's as rare as some planetary alignment. Anytime it happens, I am grateful. For as long as it lasts. It's never long, but while it's happening, it's hard to believe life can feel quite this good.

saef
08-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Wednesday, August 10:

30 minutes Abs Express class
45 minute spin class

I woke up too late to go to 6 AM spin, and anyway, had I gone, I would have been a little late to arrive at the office, as I had to go to CT for a luncheon. So I took the evening spin class instead, with an instructor I hadn't worked with for a while. She cues differently and likes a lot of change-ups in movements in a short period of time, so I lost any feeling of mastery & was back to self-doubt & pushing to make it through again. But change is good, right?

paperclippy
08-11-2011, 04:23 PM
8/10: just being on my feet for a while

8/11: 35 min stationary bike -- 30 min interval program avg level 7, 5 min cooldown. Total avg 14.1mph.

saef
08-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Jessica, how did you feel on the bike? Is there any discernible difference? Or is it too soon to tell? I'm always glad to see you posting here.

As for me ...

Thursday, August 11:

60 minutes elliptical, over half backward, resistance at random intervals and at eight
30 minutes Pilates mat routine on my own

What a strange day. The humidity dropped, it was warm but beautifully so, with a whiff of September crispness. And the office was nearly empty and got emptier as the day wore on. I drove home at my regular time, quite speedily, with less traffic. It was as if everyone had simultaneously decided to take a vacation day. (Except, of course, the analysts with whom I write research reports on my job, who've left me with several projects.)

That apparently included the Pilates instructor at our gym, who hasn't shown now for her Thursday night class for something like five consecutive weeks. Today they couldn't get a sub, so there was no class. So I was rolling around on a mat in the studio all by myself. The rest of the class played hooky, since that kind of mood was in the air, or signed up for spin instead.

saef
08-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Friday, August 12:

9:33 minutes rowing on the Concept 2 got me to 2013 meters
45 minutes arc trainer, intervals, resistance at 10 -- this was a slog.

I want to mention my Runner's Guilt. This is a feeling I get when I'm driving or walking someplace and a runner goes by. I feel momentarily guilty. Because I'm not running, too. This feeling comes over me even if I have signed up for spin class later in the day. Sometimes even if I have already been to the gym in the morning. I hold running and runners in great esteem, far more than I do any of us schlumps on the gym equipment. It seems like a "purer" exercise somehow. Somehow ennobling. Maybe even primal. Perhaps because runners are moving through the outdoors, interacting with the greater world, rather than going off to a specially designated facility.

But I can't run myself. It's the impact. It's my age and my lousy feet, arthritic already, with chronic plantar fasciitis in the left foot.

I realize this Runner's Guilt not rational, but that's how I feel.

Particularly when I'm driving to work around 8 AM on a summer day and I pass them in an affluent suburban Connecticut neighborhood, working their way past gorgeous lawns, preserved elm trees, freshly painted 19th century Shingle houses, and the air smells like the ocean, like Long Island Sound. And yeah, I'm on my way to the office. I forget the hard work that running really is, the pounding, the breathing, & I think it is as easy as a gull's flight or a deer sprinting through grass.

saef
08-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Saturday, August 13:

60 minutes spin class with weights
60 minutes Pilates class

My quads were burning in spin today. Then in Pilates we were doing the Bridge pose and my quads were actually shaking from trying to pulse upward for consecutive reps. I may feel this tomorrow.

saef
08-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Sunday, August 14:

9:39 on the Concept 2 got me to 2018 meters
60 minutes arm and shoulders routine
45 minute spin class

Pouring rain today. The kind of rain that seems eternal. For a while I was the only one in the gym other than the sleepy pretty girl at the front desk. Then a few other regulars drifted in. Others are likely on vacation. This town empties out during some weeks in August. Even the instructors go off someplace. The substitute spin teacher was so young, I could have given birth to her. She used a lot of short songs -- she has great taste in music, though -- and frenetic cues. I felt old. And it's still raining hard.

traveling michele
08-14-2011, 05:26 PM
August 3: 90 minutes Bikram Yoga

August 4: 60 minutes Hip Hop class

Totals:
4 days
270 minutes

Back from Houston and VERY PROUD that I managed to work out each day even my travel days!:carrot::carrot: However, I'm back to work this week and already don't know if I'll be able to fit in workouts Monday or Tuesday (Monday is registration all day at my school until probably 8 pm, and Tuesday I work both of my jobs).

Aug. 5: : travel day but still managed 30 minutes swimming and treading water.

Aug. 6: 40 min running

Aug. 7: 33 min running

Aug. 8: 32 min running

Aug. 9: 35 min running (this is the day I had a food hangover! I ran the same distance each day and found it interesting my time differences. The first day I ran with dh and he asked me to walk more so I don't really count that one).

Aug. 10: 33 min running

Aug. 11: 32 min running

Aug. 12: 90 min. bikram yoga

Aug. 13: 60 min. spin and 90 min. fast walking with dh

Totals:
13 days
745 minutes

saef
08-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Monday, August 15:

45 minutes arc trainer, hill intervals, resistance at nine

An illumination today: I realized that I have trouble leaving work undone till the next day. I feel guilty. I feel like I've just got to keep going -- even if it takes me till bedtime to finish, even if it overruns my personal life. It's like the compulsion to eat everything on your plate, just to make it clean and empty. One good thing: I will make myself stop if I know I have to get to the gym or to some other scheduled engagement. I leave reluctantly, but enjoy myself at the engagement. That seems to break the spell. That's what obsessiveness is like: I'm fixated, but if I can somehow break the concentration or flow, I'm able to move on.

paperclippy
08-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Behind again.

8/12: pilates routines: back attack, legs & thighs (I think, don't recall)
8/13: biked to farmer's market and back, 8.5 miles total, hilly
8/14: long dog walk
8/15:
- dog walk
- pilates routines: inner thigh insanity, saddlebag shaver, ab challenge

saef
08-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Michele, I'm taking you as inspiration for my forthcoming trip Upstate. I may try running at the nature center on at least one day. The footing is softer there, which may help.

Tuesday, 16 August:

9:34 rowing on the Concept 2 got me to 2,014 meters
60 minutes back and shoulders routine
45 minute spin class

There was an older man standing in the doorway watching the spin class tonight. It felt weird. Really weird. He did not seem to be watching to judge whether he might take it. I trust my instincts on this, about when something is off somehow. But I still can't figure out what was going on.

traveling michele
08-17-2011, 01:29 AM
Michele, I'm taking you as inspiration for my forthcoming trip Upstate. I may try running at the nature center on at least one day. The footing is softer there, which may help.

Be careful Saef. Just take it slow and listen to your body. When I'm outside I usually run intervals which is supposed to be the best way to run anyway. I listen to music and will run for 2-3 songs and then walk for 1 song. It helps me to know I will get a break soon.:carrot:

traveling michele
08-17-2011, 01:31 AM
Back from Houston and VERY PROUD that I managed to work out each day even my travel days!:carrot::carrot: However, I'm back to work this week and already don't know if I'll be able to fit in workouts Monday or Tuesday (Monday is registration all day at my school until probably 8 pm, and Tuesday I work both of my jobs).

Aug. 5: : travel day but still managed 30 minutes swimming and treading water.

Aug. 6: 40 min running

Aug. 7: 33 min running

Aug. 8: 32 min running

Aug. 9: 35 min running (this is the day I had a food hangover! I ran the same distance each day and found it interesting my time differences. The first day I ran with dh and he asked me to walk more so I don't really count that one).

Aug. 10: 33 min running

Aug. 11: 32 min running

Aug. 12: 90 min. bikram yoga

Aug. 13: 60 min. spin and 90 min. fast walking with dh

Totals:
13 days
745 minutes

Aug. 14: 90 min. bikram yoga

August 15: nada

August 16: 60 min. elliptical

Totals:
15 days
895 minutes

Mudpie
08-17-2011, 07:02 AM
saef As someone who also can no longer run (plantar fascitis and general decline of my feet after 16 years of dogwalking) I can say that walking on a different surface does really make a difference on the feet.

I mostly walk on sand, grass, and boardwalk (real wooden boards - not plastic). Those times when I do a dog sit that requires an extra walk in the evening (usually on concrete) or when I have to walk the dogs on the street I really feel it in my feet the next day. The plantar fascitis flares right up.

So good luck with trying running on a natural surface - it might feel really good!

Dagmar :beach:

saef
08-17-2011, 08:17 AM
I listen to music and will run for 2-3 songs and then walk for 1 song. It helps me to know I will get a break soon.:carrot:

I mostly walk on sand, grass, and boardwalk (real wooden boards - not plastic). Those times when I do a dog sit that requires an extra walk in the evening (usually on concrete) or when I have to walk the dogs on the street I really feel it in my feet the next day. The plantar fascitis flares right up.

Michele, thanks for giving me a song count. I, too, listen to music, and that will help me work this out. Dagmar, the nature center has a real wooden boardwalk through the wetlands and dirt roads and in the forest, the paths are covered with a mulch-like substance which is particularly soft.

A lot of runners go out there. They hold races there, too. In fact, there is a 5K & 10K this weekend. I ran the 5K back in 2008, the only 5K I've done, and my mother brought my father to see it (he was ill & had just two and a half more months to live). But I'll be at a big outdoor antique show with my mother on race day.

Wednesday, 17 August 2011

45 minute spin class, with weights
30 minutes boring old Pilates mat routine, on my own

I need to try the Pop Pilates routines that Jessica showed me, but I tend to do Pilates in the gym, in a studio, with two mats under me and mirrors all around, rather than in the privacy of my home. So I'd have to bring my laptop (and hope the gym has Wi-Fi) to try a routine there. Or do Pilates at home. I must admit, when I am on the floor in my apartment, I'm distracted. (My thoughts are running like this: "Just look at the floor under the furniture. I need to get out a dust mop. I missed that little dried leaf when I vacuumed two days ago. It is a dried leaf, right, not a dead bug? God, I hope it's a dried leaf that stuck to my sneaker ...")

paperclippy
08-17-2011, 08:51 AM
8/16: 40 mins stationary bike, 30 of which was an interval ride. 9.85 miles total avg HR 161.

8/17:
- 6.7 mile bike ride this AM (28 mins, 14.4mph)

Saef, could you do the routine at home to learn it, then do it without the video at your gym?

traveling michele
08-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Aug. 14: 90 min. bikram yoga

August 15: nada

August 16: 60 min. elliptical

Totals:
15 days
895 minutes

August 17: 60 min. elliptical

Totals:
16 days
955 minutes

paperclippy
08-18-2011, 08:41 AM
8/17 addendum:
- 20 mins pilates at lunch, abs & back (couldn't get on the wireless so I had to do it from memory, boo)

traveling michele
08-18-2011, 11:07 AM
How are you feeling Jessica? Do you think the steroids are working?

paperclippy
08-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Michele, I'm not sure. I thought they were working a few days after I started taking them, but now it seems like they didn't really do anything at all. I'm down to 3 pills a day at this point. Maybe I just need a higher dosage? I go back to the rheumatologist on the 29th so we'll see what happens at that point. My podiatrist said that if the steroids didn't work he would do some more diagnostic tests on my feet like nerve conduction tests or maybe an MRI to get more details of what the tissues look like. I feel like I could deal with everything else if my feet would just get better.

saef
08-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks, Jessica, I'd also wondered how you were feeling. Also, I was remembering reading about Joseph Pilates. Apparently he worked out his exercises to help bedridden & recuperating soldiers regain their strength. No wonder they work so well at times like this, when you have to be off your feet.

Thursday, August 18th:

60 minutes elliptical, resistance at eight, half backward
60 minutes Pilates class

Our charismatic, talkative and probably not-completely-stable Thursday night Pilates instructor returned to the gym today. She had cancelled at the last minute for five consecutive Thursdays. I thought we might not see her again. But there she was, expressive and enthusiastic as ever. Which means my butt muscles will hurt tomorrow, as that's her specialty.

traveling michele
08-19-2011, 12:02 AM
August 17: 60 min. elliptical

Totals:
16 days
955 minutes

August 18: 45 minutes Cardio Dance Party class
I had to leave 15 min. early to get Dewey from the vet. I figured it was better than nothing.

Totals:
17 days
1000 minutes even!:carrot:

Charin
08-19-2011, 08:42 AM
My exercise during weight loss consisted of 30 minutes in the treadmill doing intervals at various speeds. I only skipped 2 days in the last 6 months and did other forms of exercise those two days. Now that I am entering maintenance I need to figure out how to incorporate strength training, with my busy schedule it needs to be something I can do at home...that will be my project to add on to my routine right after Labor Day. Maybe I will start with doing simple sit ups, push ups and squats with a couple of weights I have at home. It needs to be something I can do forever too and that I enjoy, is that too much to ask? :) . Suggestions are welcome. Thinking that elastic bands could help too though I have never used those... Or something with the Wii maybe?

saef
08-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Friday, August 19th:

9:33 rowing on the Concept 2 got me to 2018 meters
60 minutes arm & shoulders routine
45 minutes arc trainer, intervals, resistance at nine

Managed to get to the gym while packing and finishing off stuff in my apartment before departing on vacation. I put in a full workout, thinking all along that I should be on the road already. (And I'm not, I'm online here typing, but about to power off the laptop.)

A horrifying weigh-in this morning. No question that when I'm stressed, I tend to put things in my mouth, chewing and drinking continuously. Even if they're healthy things, it's just not good. I will try to focus on the food thing as well as the workout thing, where I'm no slouch.

JayEll
08-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Have a good vacation, saef! :hug: I wish it were longer for you.

Jay

traveling michele
08-19-2011, 11:20 PM
August 18: 45 minutes Cardio Dance Party class
I had to leave 15 min. early to get Dewey from the vet. I figured it was better than nothing.

Totals:
17 days
1000 minutes even!:carrot:

August 19: 90 minutes Bikram Yoga

Totals:
18 days
1090 minutes

saef
08-20-2011, 08:49 PM
I did not go to the gym today.

Instead I walked around a big outdoor antique show from about 10 AM to a little past 5 PM, getting quite a sunburn on the backs of my arms and calves in the process. I also got a brown & white quilt stitched during the 1860s for the bed in my guest bedroom, a covered dish made by the Doulton pottery in England between 1891 and 1902, when they became Royal Doulton, and YAY! a plate to replace the one that I broke earlier this year. (Not easy to do as these plates were made in the 1840s.)

I'm trying not to think about not having gone to the gym. But I did not eat kettlecorn, a snow cone, a pulled pork barbeque sandwich, a Nutty Buddy. Or sadly, any piece from any of the pies baked by the Methodist Church ladies for sale at the show.

(I regret only the pie. No one makes pies anymore. Except maybe at Thanksgiving, or else The Little Pie Company in the city.)

traveling michele
08-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Charin--not sure if I have suggestions for you. I go to the gym usually. Maybe check google or you tube for suggestions/ routines?

Saef-- you were still super active. That's what counts.

traveling michele
08-20-2011, 09:11 PM
August 19: 90 minutes Bikram Yoga

Totals:
18 days
1090 minutes

August 20:
60 minutes spinning
90 minutes fast walk with dh

Totals:
19 days
1240 minutes

Mudpie
08-21-2011, 06:23 AM
Charin I do strength training 3x per week at home. I set up a series of 4 appointments with a personal trainer and specified that I wanted to set up a home gym in a limited space with a tight budget.

The trainer gave me exactly what I wanted. I use a ball, bands, and free handweights. I use my stairs for cardio bursts and I bought a small balance disc (that's one of my weak areas). I get new routines from print - magazines and Women's Health Big Book mostly - but that's just me. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff online and on DVD.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Dagmar :strong:

traveling michele
08-21-2011, 10:12 PM
August 20:
60 minutes spinning
90 minutes fast walk with dh

Totals:
19 days
1240 minutes

August 21: 90 minutes Bikram Yoga

Totals:
20 days
1330 minutes

saef
08-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Sunday, Aug. 21:

Again, no gym, but once again walking continuously from 10 AM to 4:30 PM, with very few breaks. This day at the antique show was rainy. I got only jewelry: vintage Fiorati bead jewelry made in Murano, probably in 1940s-1950s, and a pair of earrings, maybe Navajo, that look like tiny squash blossom necklaces. That's a lot of walking for just that. Which sometimes brings about an existential crisis, so I wonder what is the point of walking and looking. Also sometimes I get disgusted by all the stuff, so much stuff, why do people need so much stuff, all of it ought to be dumped or sent to outer space just to get it off the planet.

Charin
08-22-2011, 08:20 AM
Traveling Michelle and dagmar, thanks so much for your suggestions. I will definitely google info on strength training at home. My BIL is like an adhoc personal trainer and offered to help set me up with a routine though that was when I had a gym membership so now it is a bit different. But I am confident I will work something out, starting right after labor day.in new York this week. No access to treadmill which kills me a bit but wearing my pedometer everyday and counting my calories at maintenance level.

Have a wonderful week.

saef
08-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Monday, Aug. 22:

60 minutes on creaky Star Trac elliptical, resistance at nine, hill intervals
30 minute Pilates mat routine on my own

I should be more relieved to be back in the gym. Such as it is: The long slow but unrelenting decline at the gym in my mother's small Upstate town continues. I got on three ellipticals before finding one that worked. (The two nice Nautilus models were down, though without "Out of Order" signs on them. Maybe they ran out of these signs since there were about three of them on the treadmills.) Even then the working one I was on felt bouncy and not all that great -- I got nowhere near the workout I get on the LifeFitness elliptical at my gym back home downstate. Then Pilates on my own. I then drifted downstairs to check the weight equipment. Here, the gym shines. All kinds of bars and cages & etc. I have never used a Nautilus brand Gravitron (Stairmaster made the one at my gym) and will need one of the trainers or even desk attendants to show me how briefly. But that's for tomorrow.

traveling michele
08-22-2011, 10:43 PM
August 21: 90 minutes Bikram Yoga

Totals:
20 days
1330 minutes

August 22: 60 minutes Body Pump

Totals:
21 days
1390 minutes

luckymommy
08-23-2011, 01:06 AM
8/22:

40 min. elliptical
45 min. walking the shaggy dog and shaggy hubby (hills and flat)

saef
08-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Tuesday, Aug. 23:

15 minute warmup backward on elliptical, resistance steady at eight
60 minutes back and biceps routine
45 minutes elliptical, steady resistance at eight

traveling michele
08-24-2011, 01:18 AM
August 22: 60 minutes Body Pump

Totals:
21 days
1390 minutes

August 23: 60 minutes elliptical

Totals:
22 days
1450 minutes

Tonight I hit my 200th day of exercise this year! :carrot::carrot: I originally was aiming for 300 days and then realized I had missed too many days to get there. Rather than being mad at myself :mad:, I reset my goal to make it attainable. So, I hit it today. I'm going to see how much further I can get now. I'm going to reset it for 250 and hope to get there.

saef
08-24-2011, 08:11 AM
YAY Michelle! That's a lot of work, and that's also a useful lesson in goal-setting and being practical.

As for me, on Wednesday, 24 August

I ran continuously for 4 miles and walked about another half-mile to cool down afterward. The running part took me about 35-40 minutes, I'm not sure how long.

This is a familiar route, one that I used to walk-run for years when I lived at my parents' house. I was never certain of the distance, though, but that wonderful site MapMyRun shows that, as I thought, there are a lot of runners around here. Many have marked their favorite runs, and many of them run along my old route and worked out the distance.

traveling michele
08-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Did you enjoy the running Saef?

silverbirch
08-24-2011, 12:28 PM
:wave: I'm not really in your league but I do keep moving. With the 11 year old pacer, I've been swimming and am now going running & basket balling. Is that a triathlon? (Emphasis on the 'try', I think.)

saef
08-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Michele, it was exhilarating. The air was very cool this morning, even chilly; I'd slept with a blanket over me the night before, and also my mother's cat beside my right knee. I felt reluctant to head to the gym and realized the creaky elliptical held no appeal. But the country road did. So I decided to try my old route. I also ran this on Easter morning earlier this year. I certainly have the breath for it, no trouble there at all. I tried to be lighter on my feet so it felt less like pounding. The blacktop was new and more forgiving than I'd thought. (In my old neighborhood, downstate, the streets are poured cement & that is not at all good on knees and feet.) I did notice a slight discomfort in the small of my back. I don't know if that's due to impact or posture. Other than that, I felt really good. No quad soreness, which I suspect may be from spinning building up my quads.

I won't run again probably for months but it's good to try now and then. A really cool clear & gorgeous country morning in August was as good a time as any. It was like early October. Autumn comes sooner up here than downstate.

traveling michele
08-25-2011, 12:45 AM
August 23: 60 minutes elliptical

Totals:
22 days
1450 minutes

Tonight I hit my 200th day of exercise this year! :carrot::carrot: I originally was aiming for 300 days and then realized I had missed too many days to get there. Rather than being mad at myself :mad:, I reset my goal to make it attainable. So, I hit it today. I'm going to see how much further I can get now. I'm going to reset it for 250 and hope to get there.

August 24: 95 minutes Bikram Yoga

Totals:
23 days
1545 minutes

saef
08-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Thursday, 25 August

60 minutes Pilates class

Back to my gym, appreciating anew the clean and working equipment, the free towels, the free classes in all their variety, and even the voluble, over-sharing Thursday night Pilates instructor. Who really is a gifted teacher.

traveling michele
08-25-2011, 10:18 PM
August 24: 95 minutes Bikram Yoga

Totals:
23 days
1545 minutes

Glad you enjoyed the run Saef. My back often twinges when I run as well.

August 25: 60 minutes Hip Hop dance class. I'm bummed because the instructor announced that today was the last class. They are replacing it with a Zumba class and making it 30 minutes earlier. At my gym the Zumba and U-Jam classes have been ridiculously full and you have to sign up for them. They keep adding more to try to keep up with the demand. I hate full classes and I'm not sure if I can make it there early. We'll see....

Totals:
24 days
1605 minutes

saef
08-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Friday, 26 August

9:53 rowing on the Concept 2 got me to 2,000 meters
60 minutes biceps, triceps and shoulders routine
45 minutes elliptical, resistance at eight, half backward
60 minute yoga class

Woke up worried & then became tense and obsessed with morning TV weather reports. Went to the gym mostly to work off adrenalin and tension. I felt better when leaving. That's also because I ran into someone in my building complex who's on the Safety Committee and she offered some details about planning & preparedness that helped the rational part of my mind believe a lot of precautions were in place, such as pumps and generators.

traveling michele
08-27-2011, 12:57 AM
Glad you enjoyed the run Saef. My back often twinges when I run as well.

August 25: 60 minutes Hip Hop dance class. I'm bummed because the instructor announced that today was the last class. They are replacing it with a Zumba class and making it 30 minutes earlier. At my gym the Zumba and U-Jam classes have been ridiculously full and you have to sign up for them. They keep adding more to try to keep up with the demand. I hate full classes and I'm not sure if I can make it there early. We'll see....

Totals:
24 days
1605 minutes

August 26:
30 min. walk
27 min. elliptical

Totals:
25 days
1662 minutes

saef
08-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Saturday, Aug. 27:

Did not go to the gym, but it was open, with spin & Pilates as always, as it's on higher ground than my apartment complex.

Packing and walking and lifting and carrying. That's it.

traveling michele
08-27-2011, 10:42 PM
August 26:
30 min. walk
27 min. elliptical

Totals:
25 days
1662 minutes

Really didn't feel like going to the gym today because I had to get up at 4 am to work. I ended up taking a long walk with dh instead.

August 27: 60 minutes fast walk

Totals:
26 days
1722 minutes

saef
08-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Sunday, Aug. 28:

Not much activity. Pretty much curled in a foetal position on a motel bed and crying. Lots of crying. And twiddling with a battery-operated radio dial. Also punching buttons on a cellphone.

I heard that people were out jogging. I actually felt badly for not feeling able to put on gym clothes (yes, of course I saved some of those, and my iPod Shuffle also) and go out jogging in late afternoon when it was just windy. But I was really afraid & did not want to leave the room or safe radius around the motel. It was a kind of agoraphobia, that's the best way to put it. People were walking out of their houses after the storm & talking with neighbors in the poor neighborhood behind the motel, one family was having a barbeque, and I looked out the window at them but felt unable to get out the room for the longest time.

I did finally go down -- emergency stairwell pitch black, had to count steps & feel my way along the walls & use light from opened cellphone to light the way for my feet. I went to the gas station next door. No power there. Plastic bags over the pumps. Pair of clerks sitting on the curb, holding their knees in the arms, staring out at the world. They both stood up when I asked if they were closed, said no & opened the door. They seemed relieved to have someone to talk to or something to do. All the glass doors of the coolers were sweaty and the drinks & food inside still somewhat cool. Do you know I had an urge to binge -- I wanted to fill my arms & a bag with convenience food -- but ended up getting two bananas, an apple & a Diet Cherry Pepsi before walking out. (I did talk with them a bit about Indian food, thanks to my dinner from just two weekends before, when life was still normal & the biggest obstacle in the world seemed like eating dinner at a friend's.) Neighborhood empty outwardly, though not in the houses of course. A few people walking here & there. Just walking & looking. No traffic on Route 95. Some debris blowing in wind. A kind of pesto spread all over the streets (wet shredded green leaves). Felt like a Zombie Apocalypse movie.

My binge: Maybe six handfuls of trail mix, made myself stop, curled back up on bed. My default behavior from Saturday through Sunday: Lie down & curl up on my side. And cry. No bingeing, just kind of giving up. Half-drowsing. Hey, I finally caught up on my sleep.

traveling michele
08-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Saef.....
Good to hear from you but I am sorry you have had such a difficult time. When we hear on the news that it could have been so much worse, I think we think it is over. It is hard to imagine that you and others are still so impacted, but of course-- you are.

Do you have any idea when you can go home? Do you have power now?

traveling michele
08-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Really didn't feel like going to the gym today because I had to get up at 4 am to work. I ended up taking a long walk with dh instead.

August 27: 60 minutes fast walk

Totals:
26 days
1722 minutes

August 28: 90 minutes Bikram Yoga

Totals:
27 days
1812 minutes

paperclippy
08-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Okay, vacation recap.

8/19: packing for trip
8/20: sat in the car for 8 hours, but did a short dog walk and some walking in the evening
8/21: lots of walking, hiking, and wading in the surf
8/22: lots more walking and hiking
8/23: lots more walking and hiking
8/24: powerwalked the dog to a pond to swim in and back, about 45 mins; 10 mins pilates ab routine; lots of walking, attempted swim but it was too cold
8/25: about 2.5 hours kayaking, lots of walking
8/26: powerwalked the dog to the pond again, 45 mins; rented a bike to bike around an island for a couple hours
8/27: sat in the car for 8 hours, then some cleaning/chores
8/28: 18 mile bike ride (1:20:00, 14.1mph), walked the dog, mowed the lawn

I might have some of those days mixed up in there...

silverbirch
08-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Saef :hug: And again :hug:

Gymn: 10 mins walking on TM; basic set of physio exercises. Attempting to disentangle body from driving and have a rest day after all that tryathloning last week. There's going to be major fitness work this autumn.

traveling michele
08-29-2011, 10:28 PM
August 28: 90 minutes Bikram Yoga

Totals:
27 days
1812 minutes

August 29: 60 minutes Body Pump

Totals:
28 days
1872 minutes

saef
08-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Monday, Aug. 29

15 minutes on lousy Life Fitness bike, hill intervals, resistance at eight
60 minutes shoulders, biceps & triceps with these really awkward 10-lb weights with really huge discs attached, which made them difficult to handle and also made them feel heavier than they really were & unbalanced
45 minutes on same bike, hill intervals, resistance at nine.

I'd rather have a spin class.

Alone in the company gym, stuck with CNN on all the overhead TVs with Hurricane Irene footage in triplicate, and me crying & crying. Sounds like all I do is cry but actually, I was dry-eyed & focused at work all day but started falling apart in the gym. Something about physical motion and perhaps the perceived futility of peddling a stationary bike. Also thinking my life was so carefully arranged with its array of fitness classes & that structure is gone now, so where does that leave me? With an inevitable regain if I'm not incredibly vigilant? And so there is maintaining this body on top of everything else that I need to take care of? But the gym beats sitting in the dark in a motel room still without power as this major CT city struggles with outages all over town.

silverbirch
08-30-2011, 05:27 PM
But the gym beats sitting in the dark in a motel room still without power as this major CT city struggles with outages all over town.

Definitely. Definitely.

Can you turn off the televisions?

And has your big company offered you any assistance yet? Surely it could and should.

paperclippy
08-31-2011, 09:33 AM
8/29: 1.8 mile 27:35 power walk with the dog

silverbirch
08-31-2011, 09:53 AM
12 mins on rower.
Basic physio exercises +1

Pleased to be back at the gymn.

Interesting side-note: two people told me I looked wonderful. So I must have done something right this summer as well as putting on a few pounds. NB I think the hair cut helps.

saef
08-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Tuesday, Aug. 30:

60 minutes on New Balance elliptical, about half backward, resistance at eight, heavy going

This hotel has a little Fitness Center -- a standard size room with miscellaneous equipment thrown into it, some of which appears to have been picked up at garage sales. But this New Balance elliptical looked pretty new. I hated the action on it but poured sweat throughout my session. And had a crying jag. It's strange to me how I cry on the equipment. The physical release does something that also opens me up. I feel this is good for me. This is not a new thing: I did this also in morning workouts during 2008 when my father was dying.

paperclippy
08-31-2011, 01:10 PM
8/30: pilates at lunchtime: 10 min legs & thighs, 25 min abominable abdominals

Charin
08-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Hi ladies! I love reading your updates! I have been doing the half hour on the treadmill on a daily basis but... Today I started JM30DShred. Has anybody been through it? My plan is to do it for the 30 consecutive days. Hopefully it gets me to lose the final 5 pounds! Maintaining a loss of 62 pounds so far. :) I can see additional changes in my body and the way my clothes fit even with half pound losses, I love it!

Looking forward to being more active in September!

silverbirch
08-31-2011, 03:02 PM
:welcome3: Charin! Glad you're joining us.

traveling michele
08-31-2011, 11:39 PM
August 29: 60 minutes Body Pump

Totals:
28 days
1872 minutes

August 30: none....

August 31: 90 minutes Bikram Yoga

Totals:
29 days
1962 minutes