Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Default New and sick of wasting my youth being overweight! Ready to make a change!

Hi! I've been a lurker here for about 6 months, reading all your helpful advice and looking for workout and diet tips and stuff and I finally decided to join!

I am 19 years old and just finished my first year of university. I weighed 185 when I went to school and I managed to not gain any weight all year! However, since coming home for summer I gained 15 pounds.

When I crossed the 200 threshold I actually wanted to die.... I am working a desk job that I HATE this summer, and I think sitting all day plus being bored is what pushed me over the edge.

During my horrible boring days the only consolation I have is food. Since hitting 200 I've tried to get serious about dieting. I stopped drinking alcohol, and cut out all beverages other than water. I've cut out all "junk" completely, eating lots more veggies, barely any bread, more lean protein and I lost 5 pounds in about 2 weeks.

I am at the point where I feel like I've sacrificed so much all for 5 POUNDS?!?! All I want is som bread and cheese and yet I know as soon as I have it all my hard work will be gone.

I'm sick of wasting my "best years" being fat. I need to lose all this weight and get my life back.
celly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 226/213/174

I am new here today too. Are you exercising at all? You might find that you'll lose inches faster than pounds if you exercise. I've been advised to set mini goals as they are easier to achieve. I actually think 5lbs in 2 weeks is great. You are more likely to keep it off if you lose it slower. My first goal is 7lbs by the time my eldest son starts Year 1 at school. That gives me 5 weeks. How about you set yourself a goal to achieve?

Anyway, good luck
Pickle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/160

@Pickle welcome!

Yes I have been going to the gym lately, only 3 times a week though. If I can make it 4 times a week I'll be satisfied!

My mini goal is to lose 10 pounds before going back to school in 6 weeks!!

Good luck on your goal
celly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #4  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

I'm in the same boat! I'm only twenty, going into my third year of university this year, and I want to shed those extra pounds!

Five pounds in two weeks is actually pretty good. Healthy weight loss is usually about 1-2 pounds a week, so you're right on track. That kind of weight loss takes time, and if you do it right, it'll stay off!
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #5  
Just keep swimming!

S/C/G: 260/ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

Hi celly! I, too, just completed my first year of college. You'll definitely find a lot of support here. Good luck on your goals.
melni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #6  

Welcome, I am too and trying to shed the weight and enjoy my twenties. Tired of hiding and not enjoying my life. Good luck on your weight loss and 5lbs is a great start!
xbeautifulbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/170

Height: 5'10"

I sit at a desk all day in Human Resources (high stress) and I find that having sunflower seeds to snack on is nice (but I measure out my amount for points that day).
wagfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 330 / 320 / 175

Height: 5'11

Hey Celly! I, too, am a post secondary student, and I came to the same conclusion: I want to shed the weight. I know it does get hard, especially with the stress of work and/or school, or even sheer boredom makes you want to pick.

I have to give you props for cutting out all that stuff. I don't have that kind of willpower. I could never in a million years cut out my bread lol. I just made simple changes, like cutting down portion sizes, eating whole wheat or multigrain bread/pasta instead of white, eating junk food but modifying it (baked chips in smaller portions instead of regular chips; i used to be able to sit down and eat like a big bag of chips in one sitting, so that had to stop) and just walking. It's slowly working, but I feel like this is better for me because smaller changes make it a little easier to handle.

Just keep working at it!! You need to find what is right for YOU!! Best of luck and you have the support here if you need it!!
Crazy Newfie Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:44 AM   #9  
KindaFunToDoTheImpossible

Height: 5'9''

I am also, also in my 20s and have decided that it is time to enjoy life and kick those extra pounds to the curb!

We can do it!
Katers88 is offline   Reply With Quote