General chatter - What Are You Reading August 2011

View Full Version : What Are You Reading August 2011

Smiling_Sara
08-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Another month everyone! I hope to read a ton this month. Not much TV these days.

I'm about half way through Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. So far-so it's pretty good. I think I liked her other one Dark Places a little better though.

Smiling_Sara
08-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Oh for heavens sake. Must of thought I was on my phone, can a mod please switch this to 2011-it's not 2077. :dizzy:

kateleestar
08-01-2011, 10:29 AM
lol, I was like 'what? oh!'

And I'm 3 chapters in to The Help. :D

fatferretfanatic
08-01-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm reading Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes and the Greatest Race the World Has Ever Seen by Christopher McDougall. Great book so far, and I mean, seriously great.

Loli
08-01-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm reading Bossypants and Size 12 is Not Fat.

spetty
08-01-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm finishing up Warren Buffet Invest Like A Girl and starting Shadowheart.

Loli, how is Size 12 is Not Fat?

Clydegirl
08-01-2011, 11:09 AM
That got my attention.

Just started "A Vintage Affair" by Isabel Wolff.

summerlove
08-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Im halfway through Kiterunner by Khaled Hosseini.

sheramama
08-01-2011, 08:58 PM
I loved Size 12 is not fat!

I'm almost done with: The Secret Life of Queen Elizabeth Tudor: Vampire Slayer

I picked up today at the library: A Discovey of Witches
and Matched

Angie
08-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm an audiobook junkie...I'm about to read A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire By George R. R. Martin ...which will be my first from the fantasy genre, but it had great reviews.

suetalks
08-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Getting ready to read The Help.

FrouFrou
08-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Loli...loved both those books, especially Size 12 is Not Fat, the others are jut as good...Big Boned and Size 14 is Not Fat Either.

Getting ready to start Chapter 6, The American Way of Death Revisited by Jessica Mitford. Was hoping to have it read by Monday but too busy.

alinnell
08-02-2011, 09:29 AM
The Man from St. Petersburg (http://www.amazon.com/Man-St-Petersburg-Ken-Follett/dp/0451208706/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1312291720&sr=8-12) by Ken Follett.

southernbelle102
08-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Just read The Hunger Games trilogy. So good!

Loli
08-02-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm finishing up Warren Buffet Invest Like A Girl and starting Shadowheart.

Loli, how is Size 12 is Not Fat?

I'm liking it so far! Pretty cute!

Loli
08-02-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm an audiobook junkie...I'm about to read A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire By George R. R. Martin ...which will be my first from the fantasy genre, but it had great reviews.

I <3 audio books!

abluvion
08-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Needed an easy read for my bouts of insomnia recently...... Picked up The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King. Um yeah, not a bedtime book! I finished it last night and I'm kind of glad it's over :lol:

STILL not into The Cider House Rules......... I may have to give up on that one. Against my will.

ShesLosingIt
08-02-2011, 08:56 PM
A Game of Thrones and My Fair Lazy - two drastically different books but both are great so far. GoT is kind of intense (in a good way) so sometimes I'll set it down and go to MFL for some humor.

alinnell
08-02-2011, 09:54 PM
A Game of Thrones and My Fair Lazy - two drastically different books but both are great so far. GoT is kind of intense (in a good way) so sometimes I'll set it down and go to MFL for some humor.

Jen Lancaster is hilarious!

SweetTreat80
08-02-2011, 10:16 PM
I just finished reading Sugar Shock this afternoon it was REALLY informative, and I also started, "I had brain surgery what's your excuse?" tonight.

SweetPeach3388
08-03-2011, 01:32 AM
I just finished A Game of Thrones and it was great! I've now moved onto the second in the series called A Clash of Kings.

Just Sloan
08-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Im reading Happy is the new Thin, Again! Also thinking about reading Jemima J again. Loved that book!

abluvion
08-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Okay. I'm now definitely into The Cider House Rules. Like flipping a lightswitch - it's now keeping me up at night so I can read! Funny how that works.

sabri711
08-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Just started Game of Thrones. I can't put it down.

Abigail207
08-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Gray's Anatomy by Henry Gray, I know I am such a nerd :book2:

Alwaysbeenbig
08-05-2011, 02:23 AM
Because I am a uni student and reading textbooks can get a bit intense, my novels tend to be pretty light reading material. At the moment I am reading:

The "Dark" Series By Christine Feehan (Dark Prince is the first book, the series has close to 20 books). And

The "In Death" books by J.D. Robb ( Starting with Glory in Death)

Both are good, easy to read books with great story lines.

ANOther
08-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Tonight start A Prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer

MaryB75
08-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Im reading Happy is the new Thin, Again! Also thinking about reading Jemima J again. Loved that book!

I loved Jemima J too. I read it about 5 years ago and just finished it for the second time.

chickadee32
08-06-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm about half way through Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. So far-so it's pretty good. I think I liked her other one Dark Places a little better though.

I felt the same way.

I finished "Where Men Win Glory" by Jon Krakauer yesterday, and it was excellent. I highly recommend it.

This morning I started "The White Spider" by Heinrich Harrer, my moutaineering book for the month.

ANOther
08-06-2011, 05:30 PM
I finished "Where Men Win Glory" by Jon Krakauer yesterday, and it was excellent. I highly recommend it.

Oh yeah, I want to read that one too. Also Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. Somebody check my testosterone count since I seem to go in for all this guy stuff ;)

alinnell
08-06-2011, 08:01 PM
I gave up on The Man from St. Petersburg. I'll go back one day but I'm just craving more Lisa Gardner. Started The Perfect Husband (http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Husband-Lisa-Gardner/dp/0553576801/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312675213&sr=8-1) yesterday and am already more than half way through!

Ciao
08-07-2011, 02:23 AM
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Pictures/clipart2-1.png

Many MANY novels by Dean Koontz.
I enjoy his novels.

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Pictures/clipart2.png

gypsybeggar
08-07-2011, 02:39 AM
I'm currently reading Icebound by Dean Koontz. Walmart had a sale, don't know why but they got a bunch of his old novels in. I somehow had missed that one. Sooo glad I found it. I read and reread his novels. :)

I tried to read The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, but I just can't do it. :(
It's a daunting book. This coming from someone who read both The Stand and The Tommyknockers (both by Stephen King) within a week of starting them. I was a bit dissapointed by that...

FrouFrou
08-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Been a little busy and am still trying to get thru The American Way of Death Revisted by Jessica Mitford. Might just read a chapter here and there and start Smokin' Seventeen...been dying to get that book and get it read!

Smiling_Sara
08-18-2011, 09:30 PM
2 chapters into Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang. Love it so far. She cracks me up.

Just Sloan
08-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Im waiting for- Angry Fat Girls: 5 Women, 500 pounds and a year of losing it...Again And also Conversations with the Fat Girl. I like reading about women who are in my position, it really helps to keep motivated.

Clydegirl
08-19-2011, 10:18 AM
About to start "Amy and Isabelle" by Elizabeth Strout.

Rainy Day
08-19-2011, 11:57 AM
I just finished reading The Frontiersman's Daughter by Laura Frantz. If you have a Kindle or a Kindle app, this book is free and has good reviews on Amazon. I wouldn't say I loved this book but for something free it was pretty good.

I'm probably going to readHawks Mountain by Elizabeth Sinclair next.

Lindy87
08-19-2011, 12:27 PM
About 100 pages into The Help

Smiling_Sara
08-19-2011, 09:05 PM
About 100 pages into The Help

loved it! can't wait to see the movie!

sheshalesha
08-19-2011, 10:04 PM
I am an extremely fast reader and I usually read when I am fighting my insomnia, so needless to say they are always light...

This Month I've Read
The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld
The Help by Katheryn Stockett
Matched by Ally Condie

By Jennifer Weiner
Best Friends Forever
REread-Good In Bed
Fly Away Home

Right now I am reading Certain Girls

I have Goodnight Nobody after that...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE to read...please pass on any suggestions...I am always in the mood for a good book :)

sheramama
08-19-2011, 10:34 PM
I am an extremely fast reader and I usually read when I am fighting my insomnia, so needless to say they are always light...

This Month I've Read
Matched by Ally Condie

By Jennifer Weiner
Best Friends Forever
REread-Good In Bed
Fly Away Home

I LOVE LOVE LOVE to read...please pass on any suggestions...I am always in the mood for a good book :)

It seems like you have similar taste to mine in books :) I just read Matched and Certain Girls ( a while ago).

I loved:
- Beautiful Creatures and Beautiful Darkness-Kami Garcia
-Skinned Trilogy-Robin Wesserman
-Before I fall and Delirium-Lauren Oliver
-Hunger Games-Suzanne Collins
-Going Bovine-Libba Bray
-Anything Ellen Hopkins
-Anything Stephen King....

Right now, I am reading: Forever-Maggie Stiefvater and next is Discovery of Witches-Deborah E. Harkness (which I already started).

alinnell
08-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Just finished The Third Victim by Lisa Gardner and will start another one by her later today.

sheshalesha
08-20-2011, 12:48 PM
It seems like you have similar taste to mine in books :) I just read Matched and Certain Girls ( a while ago).

I loved:
- Beautiful Creatures and Beautiful Darkness-Kami Garcia
-Skinned Trilogy-Robin Wesserman
-Before I fall and Delirium-Lauren Oliver
-Hunger Games-Suzanne Collins
-Going Bovine-Libba Bray
-Anything Ellen Hopkins
-Anything Stephen King....

Right now, I am reading: Forever-Maggie Stiefvater and next is Discovery of Witches-Deborah E. Harkness (which I already started).

Thank You SOOOO Much!!!

I live in a tiny town with a CRAPPY library!!! I have a list of authors and every week I go in and make requests...It is sooo funny!! I am going to take your list in and see what I can get...I will be extremely surprised if anything comes up... Lately I have been buying used books and then donating them to the library...That is how absurdly crappy it is...

JOLINA
08-20-2011, 01:33 PM
You can always order books to be sent to you for pick-up at your local library.

:book2:

I am currently reading a little-known book by Daniel Defoe: A JOURNAL OF THE PLAGUE YEAR
It was written in the early 1700's. He is a very famous oldtime author who survived the Black Plague. He also wrote SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON.

A JOURNAL OF THE PLAGUE YEAR is also in the internet for everyone to read:
http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/hst/english/AJournalofthePlagueYear/chap0.html
:comp:

On another note: There will be a new movie CONTAGION coming out in early September starring Matt Damon, Kate Winslet and Jude Law. WOW!
This thriller deals with a new upcoming plague that might hit sometime in the next 50 years...
I am going to go see this one for sure.
The Trailer:
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3924270105/

BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO HUNGER AND THIRST,
FOR THEY ARE STICKING TO THEIR DIETS.

Smiling_Sara
08-20-2011, 02:04 PM

This Month I've Read
Matched by Ally Condie

By Jennifer Weiner
Best Friends Forever
REread-Good In Bed
Fly Away Home

you are in luck! There is a thread for what are you reading EVERY month! :)

sheshalesha
08-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Jolina-- I do...I request books every week. I requested a book in June and it still hasn't come in yet. That is why if I really really want to read it, I will just go to a used book store and buy it, then donate it. I love my library..it does have a very poor selection of books, but it has the NICEST people and BEST kids reading hour...so I make due with what I have available and help their selection grow as often as my budget will allow...

sheramama~ WhooHoo...I just checked out Discovery of Witches-Deborah E. Harkness...I will start it soon :)

sheramama
08-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Sheshalesha: I feel the same way about our local library. It's small, but the people there are amazing. I won't go anywhere else bc of it :)

irissanabria
08-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Hello everyone this month i have been reading the mortal instruments by cassandra clare i am now on book three out six its really is a great read....

sheramama
08-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Hello everyone this month i have been reading the mortal instruments by cassandra clare i am now on book three out six its really is a great read....

Those are some of my fav books lately, though I really was a bit disappointed with the last one. AND they are making a movie! I just hope its better than Twilight.

1CntryMama
08-24-2011, 07:09 AM
The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson ~ easy reading but really effective

Emma by Jane Austen. I'm working on a goal of reading all of her published work. This will be the fourth I've read and loved all of them!

alinnell
08-24-2011, 09:32 AM
The Next Accident by Lisa Gardner. Very good! I thought I knew who it was, now I'm not so sure. Half way through and hope to finish in a couple more days so I can start the next one by her.

Glory87
08-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Been reading like crazy lately - you can always check out my booklist on Good Reads! http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1035707?shelf=read

Just finished:
Unbroken - unbelieveably harrowing, actually difficult to read

Currently reading Beauty Queens by Libby Bray. It's a little too farcical for my usual taste, but it is pretty funny.

alinnell
08-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Okay, finished The Next Accident and started on the next one in that series The Killing Hour (http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Hour-Lisa-Gardner/dp/0553584529/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314236730&sr=1-1). So far so good, the story continues with the daughter of the FBI agent from the past two books. It's old, set in the 70's or 80's but still relevant.

LongTallBee
08-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Glory87: I've been stalking your list and added so many books to my "to read" list. I love your taste in books!

I'm in a trashy romance novel rut right now, and I've been needing something good to get me out of it!

omgzitsmiranda
08-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Just read The Hunger Games trilogy. So good!

I've just started book 1! It's really good so far :)

April Snow
08-25-2011, 02:56 PM
I think I have similar tastes to sheramama and sheshalesha.

I just put Matched and the two by Lauren Oliver on my request list at the library (I love being able to do that online!)

Some YA fiction lately is just SO good- more creative than a lot of adult fiction, it seems.

ANOther
08-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Now: 2030 by Albert Brooks

On deck: in honor of 09.11 + 10 years (that long already??) I have The Submission by Amy Waldman and Where Men Win Glory by Jon Krakauer

CanadianCutie
08-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Just finished An Abundance of Katherines by John Green, and now on to The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly. I saw the movie when it was out in the theaters and enjoyed it, so now I decided to read the book.

FrouFrou
08-28-2011, 03:23 PM
FINALLY finished the funeral book, ugh...so boring but very informative. Definitely would have helped last time I had to plan a funeral...pretty sure I got ripped off. Anyway...starting Smokin' Seventeen later today and after that The Help. Wanted to read the book first before seeing the movie but ended up seeing the movie with daughter and DIL...movie was awesome, we loved it! Hoping the book is as good, I've heard it is.

djs06
08-28-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm reading Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. It's so good!

djs06
08-28-2011, 03:39 PM
FINALLY finished the funeral book, ugh...so boring but very informative. Definitely would have helped last time I had to plan a funeral...pretty sure I got ripped off. Anyway...starting Smokin' Seventeen later today and after that The Help. Wanted to read the book first before seeing the movie but ended up seeing the movie with daughter and DIL...movie was awesome, we loved it! Hoping the book is as good, I've heard it is.

The book is better! But they did a really good job with the movie and I think it's almost as good. :)