Beck Diet Solution - Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Lexxiss
08-23-2011, 09:27 AM
Hi Coaches!

:welcome2: puneri! My primary food plan is South Beach Diet, my secondary plan is calorie counting. I have really improved my relationship with food/dieting since starting Beck Diet Solution. Glad you found us!

Yesterday was still full of the family drama but it seems to be settling...:crossed: Thanks to suggestions by BBE, via Suzanne, our mod, I have reset some of my User stuff and I seem to be back on track with our group here. Now I read the newest posts first.

I slept in after staying up late last eve...not the greatest because the carpet cleaner is coming at 10 and I don't miss my water aerobics for anything. *credit* I'll get my office gutted before class then will do the living room, hallway after class. The guy who comes is environmentally friendly and with the system he uses it will be dry enough to move the furniture back late this afternoon.

My class I taught was a great success! *Credit* for all the work I've put into this. Food was ok yesterday...probably actually underate. :fr: Time to get my green smoothie in!

I've read posts...we are a great team! Thanks for being here everyone!

missyj
08-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Hello everyone!! Had a pretty good day yesterday. Revisited all the Beck principles in an effort to get back on plan. Still struggling a bit - but continuing to work on it today. Credit me for taking an hour walk after dinner last night. I really don't like exercise - this whole endorphin rush concept does not exist in my reality. All I want is a shower and a nap after exercising! But the weather was beautiful, and I made myself just do it. Hope to continue the trend this week. I have noticed that many of you have set exercise goals - I think I am going to try that as well.

Tazzy - I LOVE the mental image of transitioning old/large clothes to the garbage can! I need to practice that as well!

TriMommy - Right there with you in regards to trying to shake off the weekend!

pamatga - I needed the reminder that Beck says to Get Back On Plan NOW!! The NOW part especially! So thank you!

onebyone - Your sculptures are incredible! You are seriously talented! Hang in there with your struggles.....any movement down on the scale is better than any movement up! I have felt as if I too am dealing with the same 5 pounds since this Spring - but we will get through this!

maryann - Your card resonated with me - going to steal that one!

It has occurred to me that all of my personals are comments on thoughts you have all shared that resonate with me. So I am filled with gratitude to have found you all - and that you are all so open and thoughtful!

Hope everyone has a good day!

gardenerjoy
08-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Another busy day, so just a quick check-in post. Glad those of us who had tricky weekends are putting them firmly in the past and moving on!

Love the sculptures, onebyone! And your stories. So much fun!

maryann
08-23-2011, 02:17 PM
OP yesterday except for a little diversion in trying the whole wheat pizza I made for the boys. I usually allow a tasting bite in food prep but I seemed to have expanded a definition of bite. Planned food in my lunch bag, planned step class this pm. Had a brief thought over snack "Forget this. I want a candy bar." Replied "Oh Well."

beverleyjoy: Love the D's
BBE: Congrats on no samples. Why really is that so difficult. If I want to spent the calories I should spend it on something I LOVE, not some crap -shoot (pardon my French)
Lexxiss: Congrats on your class. Good teaching is 90% preparation.
Superchick: Like the idea of "Living Time." In reality, so little of our time is "eating time" isn't it? Minutes out of a day and yet I spend so much time obsessing about those few minutes. Even more ironically. The minute I start eating I zone out. I really don't want food, I just ALWAYS want to be somewhere else.
missyj: Credit for doing something until you start wanting to do it. That is a true sign of maturity.

pamatga
08-23-2011, 03:27 PM
GD :flow1: fellow Becksters!

:welcome2: puneri and we are all happy to have another fellow sojourner traveling along with us. The road may be long, winding, and unknown but you have excellent traveling companions to take the "road less taken" with. It sounds like you are off to a great start. I echo Lexxiss regarding food plans. I began South Beach Diet in January 2008 and I credit that with separating the wheat from the chaff for me regarding healthy food choices. Now, I would call my food plan a modified SBD, calorie counting with a new emphasis on organic, unprocessed, and low sugar/fat/sodium. It sounds way more complicated than it is but I am finding renewed health and weigh lose as a result. Beck is the wheel that steers my food plan.

Tazzy - Ditto :congrat: on the 8 pounds lost! Get rid of those large size clothes asap. If you can afford buy a few new ones to bridge between now and goal weight or alter existing ones. For the first time ever, I love putting 100% cotton in hot water then hot dryers. My way of shrinking the clothes to fit the "shrinking me".:D

TriMommy Hope you are feeling better soon. We can't change anything about what was but we can change what is and what will be.

missyj - I like what BBE said about "3 kids and 2 arms". These are the best of times......" (they really are!)

SuperChick - Wrote down that book by Victoria Moran. I so agree with everything that you shared. I really have nothing to add except "spot on".

maryann - That's the way you do it, "aha, aha". I have also done similar actions when I wanted "just one bite" of something. Yesterday, I had a sip of my DH's McDonald's chocolate shake and that was "just enough" for me. Yes, I was sitting down. Good Job!:

Lexxiss I have had that happen as well and if someone wants to explain this phenomena I am "all ears". I don't quite understand how we can be so "good" and, then suddenly, the rug seems to get pulled out from under our feet and we eat "off plan". I can say that I went through a long and protracted period with this and I really struggled to grasp what it was all about. Is there a "psychology" to this?

Beverlyjoy – Boy, I remember those days all too well. In fact, if I had access to a car during the day (which I don't) I am afraid this would be one of the biggest "traps" for me. I know that "someday" this scenario will revisit me and it will be something that I will have to deal with as well. Good Job in recognizing the "inherent trap" this creates and your commitment to stopping it.

gardenerjoy – I echo other sentiments here regarding your determination to continue to perservere. You are the "come back kid". Smart move in not allowing it to be 10-20-30+ lbs before you recognize the need to get back on track. That is a sure sign of a real weight lose "loser" [aka winner.:D]

onebyone - Read below my personal "testimony" and you will realize that I know all too well where you are coming from, my friend. Don't give up and don't give in to all of these "sabotaging thoughts". Re-read Dr. Beck when you have the time and keep close to us. :grouphug: We will help see you through this. P.S. Love your sculpture and your "adventures". You certainly can't say that you lead a dull life up that way. ;)

Stats for Day 14 of BLC Buddy Challenge 8/22:

** 1934 calories (so met goal of being 2000 or under cal), 3566 mg sodium and 51 grams of fiber.
**I walked 6000 steps ~ 3 miles (used my pedometer for accuracy).
**I did 20 minutes on the treadmill at 1.6 mph.
*V/F: (4 serv) cooked cabbage, (3 serv) cooked carrots, 1 potato, 2 veggie garden burgers, 1 whole apple and 1 cup red grapes

I will try to give the Cliff Notes version of the "ephinany" I had yesterday. I walked 3 miles yesterday. On my own two feet. I didn't fall asleep until 5 a.m. because I kept pinching myself. I couldn't believe it!

To put this in perspective: 14 months ago, I weighed 301.8 lbs., the heaviest I have ever weighed in my life. Back then, after ten minutes of standing and holding onto something for support, I had to sit down. My joints were killing me. Onebyone I lost 25 lbs and then I was stalled for almost 6 months before I was able to pull myself together and work on losing more weight. As you know, even after joining this group last winter, I was up and down [I]for months on end. My head was not in a clear focused place. I knew it wasn't but I just couldn't seem to pull it all together.

This BLC Buddy Challenge that I agreed to (because of a friend) was what really jump started my efforts once again. It was like all of the Beckisms just started flowing right out of me. The words on my Response cards just seemed to leap off the cards. I knew what I needed to do and I did it.

There is a modus operandi to why I am sharing my detailed day with all of you: I want you to know that this weight lose just didn't happen by magic.

I used to think (before Beck) that those people (whom I envied) who lost tons of weight just woke up one day and viola! they were thin. NOT!!

I started at a smaller place than a lot of you because underneath my "round, doughy body with yes a big caboose" (yes, this can exist in pairs, onebyone like salt n pepper shakers) I had a very weakened frail skeleton. I was told in 2003 that I had the bones of a 74 yr old woman and I was only 50 at the time. I was told no amount of weight was going to change that fact. According to this doctor, he had never seen such an advanced case of arthritis in someone "so young".

A year ago, my husband was wheeling me around large spaces in a wheelchair because it was too painful for me to walk those same distances. My once robust life (in 1992 my ex husband and I hiked in the mountains for 2 solid weeks in the NW U.S.---the highest elevation was 15,000 ft and we did white water rafting on the Snake River that same trip) kept shrinking to the point where I never left my home, due to constant pain, depression and a lack of vision about what my future might be like. Could anyone have envisioned that I could become what I had become? I know I couldn't have.

Yesterday, I walked 3 miles and on my treadmill. Large spaces no longer intimidate me like before. Although I did walk with my cane (I still have some balance issues when my legs get fatigued) I was NOT being pushed around in a wheelchair.

That didn't happen overnight. I will continue to post my daily stats because I think it is important to show that each pound lost took "applied effort" and for those of us who are starting at a higher weight, we have some "unique" challenges that someone who has "only" 20-30 lbs to lose does not. First of all, I do want to credit those of you here who had the smarts to know to do something before it became 40-50-60 lbs. That is to your credit and I applaud you for that.

For those of us who did not (for whatever reason that might be); one thing is for sure. We are going to have to "apply that effort" every day for what could be more than a year and perhaps even two years before we even see our goal weight. I am now seeing that as a clear advantage. Why? I have that many more opportunities to practice the Beckisms and make them automatic than someone who follows them to lose 20 lbs and then abandons them after they have lost the weight.

Just keep working the program and the program will work.

Love Pam

Beverlyjoy
08-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Hi folks - yesterday was a healthy day… always grateful for that. I really did a lot of writing in my journal where I keep track of my day and Beck goals/tasks. Credit.

Goals and results:
Eat seated - most of the time
No seconds - all of the time
Arc/rc/beck - no
Meditation - no
Weigh - yes (looked down a smidge - spring scale)
Slow mindful eating - some of the time
Leave a bite - all the time
Journal - yes
Planned/measured/logged food - yes, it did change a couple time, however

I need to get out the cards and books and remind myself of all the wonderful techniques Dr. Beck provides.

RIP to our 25+ year old Maytag dryer. Lasted a long time. We should have better efficiency with the new one.

Puneri - WECLOME!!! There is much support and wisdom here. Glad you posted.

Super-chick - it’s wonderful you can ride your bike to work!! Credit. Thanks for talking a little about your new book.

Billbe - awesome to pass by the samples at the grocery!

Lexxiss - glad you could get your water class in. Family drama… phooey.

Missyj - credit for your walk! I agree… sometimes we need to get back to the ‘basics’ with Beck. Carry on.

Maryann - major credit for saying ‘oh well’ to a candy bar!! Good to recognize when a cooking taste is ‘bigger’ than you’d planned.. Credit.

Pamatga - your BLC stats look good. AWESOME to hear you walked three miles on your treadmill. Considering you needed a wheelchair for long distances - my heart explodes with joy for you. (I have walking issues myself)

I don’t have time for a lot of personals.. Phooey.

I hope you are all having a good day. Thanks so much for your support.

Tazzy
08-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone!

Late check in for me as work is getting busy and I don’t have time to post during the day. But I do try and sneak in and read over my lunch break.

Pretty good OP days for both yesterday and so far today. Gave myself credit yesterday for eating to normal fullness at lunch and didn’t finish it all just because it was there. I ended up going for a 20 minute bike ride and then spent 15 minutes in the garden with some weeding and harvesting. I did randomly find myself eating some butterscotch chips while making my lunch for today and decided if I was going to do that then I had to weigh, measure and add them to my food plan. My Zumba instructor also filmed our class on Sat and I saw myself on the video yesterday, even more incentive to keep going to the classes.

Today I followed my food plan so far, just finished a quick, light dinner before my last Tuesday (hot) Zumba class. We then have a break until the end of Sept for Tuesdays. Again paying more attention to eating to normal fullness and sitting down. Have read my cards twice so far and need to figure out tomorrow’s food plan.

Pamtaga - great job on your BLC Buddy challenge. There might be one person ahead of you by .2% but you are still a winner by committing to the challenge!

Puneri - welcome! I follow calorie counting and my back up diet plan is Weight Watchers Points Plus. As others have said Becks is great for any program you choose.

Onebyone - Love your sculptures!

BBE - great job resisting those store samples.

Beverleyjoy - I have added your Don’t Drive to my card as well. My downfall would be Dairy Queen peanut buster parfaits (I think there are about 1000 - 1300 calories!!). Always had to drive to get them and always had other willing participants in the house happy to join! My DH wanted chips really badly one night but decided he didn’t need them too badly if he had to drive to get them.

Missyj - I did throw away that pair of shorts when I got home tonight. I also wore a blouse today that didn’t fit a month ago and even though it fit better today is still not great, so it went into the goodwill bag with another one of a different color. I figure now if I want to get new clothes I’m going to like wearing them! We have a family cruise booked in Feb and I’m at a crossroad trying to decide if I should buy new clothes now (while all the summer sales are on) but I don’t know what to do about sizes. I started with a couple of sundresses cause at least I’ll be able to tie the belt tighter!

Time to pack up the ice bottle and a cold face-cloth and head off to Zumba. Have a great evening everyone!

onebyone
08-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Hi Coaches

*credit for cooking from scratch
*credit for planning my meals
*credit for posting/reading
*credit for drinking my water
and
*credit for weighing in today, (I sure didn't want to), the results were -0.2lbs = 281.8. Again the feeling of a small success has helped to turn my emotional state around a bit and I feel hope returning again. It is just so crucial to me to do one thing in terms of my weightloss and my life really that everyday I can point to as a success. I need that outward sign of progress daily. I think it is why I do come here and post honestly and read what you guys write. Somedays that's all I manage to get done and, according to Beck, our coaches are a key part of our success and so, coaches, thanks for being here and keeping me moving forward.

It has come to me today that for the first time since my move here on the 1st of April, that this really feels like the first day I am actually 100% aware that I now live here. My future no longer holds any obligations to my former hometown. And, (as I used to tell those who visited Ottawa when I lived there), don't bother coming back to Ottawa to do shows, and having gone back to do shows this summer, this is still a truism. We artisan types just never make a lot of money there -- not enough to cover travel costs and show fees and everything else. Emotionally too, for me, there is a high cost for me there, this being the seat of my family now. So my sense of my self is shifting big-time. It had to happen. I feel a need to get to the library and read some good books about starting again or finding your place or something. I also feel the possibility of "the new". It's all scary and exciting. I still feel the golden opportunity I have to break old patterns and surely this has to apply to my food patterns and my exercise patterns and that aspect of my life. I need to jump on this while I feel it.

Thanks for reading coaches. And thanks also for the supportive comments about my artwork. You guys make it easy for me to show you what I do. Thanks for that.:grouphug:

gardenerjoy
08-24-2011, 12:00 AM
onebyone said

I feel a need to get to the library and read some good books about starting again or finding your place or something.

dangling bait to a librarian....

Any books by Barbara Sher would be helpful, but this one in particular: It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now: How to Create Your Second Life at Any Age

Cheryl Richardson has a couple of titles that might suit: Take Time for Your Life and Life Makeovers.

Martha Beck (unrelated, I believe, to Judith Beck) has a couple of titles on the topic: Finding Your Own North Star: Claiming the Life You Were Meant to Live and Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!

Alana in Canada
08-24-2011, 02:59 AM
Hello everyone!

Today I had another two hours in the dental hygenists chair--she did scaling and root planing on my teeth (there will be a total of four--one for each quadrant.)

As a result, I had a large bowl of boiled and mashed yam and carrots for my lunch. YUM!

I recorded what I ate, (made up a "soft foods" eating plan last week and followed most of it.). I resisted the urge (more than once) to eat some ice cream left in the fridge--even when hubby took it out of the freezer, took the lid off and said, "there's some left. Enough for a small bowl, if you want it...."

I took it as an opportunity to exercise my resistance muscle. I actually said to myself, "I want to be proud of myself today."

And so I am. ;)

I've read over every post. Don't have time to comment on every one--but let me say that no matter where you are in the journey today, you are ALL inspiring--just by being here! So, thanks.

Lexxiss
08-24-2011, 05:04 AM
Hi Coaches! I had a pretty successful day yesterday, with the exception of having extra breadsticks at lunch even though my inner voice was coaching me not to. Carpets are clean but I went to bed early so I could putz and put things back in order later when they had some extra time to dry. We went to the farmers market and bought 2 lovely Colorado melons. Dinner was melon appetizer, salmon, fresh corn and very new potatoes. *credit* for saving half my salmon and corn for lunch and for adding yogurt to the potatoes instead of sour cream and butter. The further in I get, the more satisfying the healthier options are. In the old days I couldn't eat a potato without all the high fat additions. Exercise was water aerobics and moving furniture.

BillBlueEyes, *credit* for passing up the free sample! (was it a good one?) Lime in gazpacho? Hmm….how did you find your recipe? I would like to try.

Alana(in Canada), sending supportive thoughts as you continue your dental work. Kudos for resisting the ice cream with great affirmation!

onebyone, I felt great empathy as I read your post yesterday. My final gain to my high weight was after my move to Colorado in 2003 and yet my success with WL here has been in accepting and embracing the new. I knew I had the opportunity for a fresh start and I took it. One of my greatest tools has been picking and choosing some new and healthy venues for meeting new friends who share some common goals. Finding a supportive environment to work out has been a miracle. I always felt uncomfortable at the gym and now I look forward to it. *credit* for feeling all the feelings you've had to get to the point of being 100% aware of where you live now.

Tazzy, *credit* for eating to normal fullness, not finishing your meal and getting some great exercise in.

Beverlyjoy, great credits! I love your new addition, don't drive for food. I relate, yet feel fortunate that my McD fries are clear on the other side of town and that my little area doesn't have many sabotaging choices.

Pam(atga), Congratulations on your 3 mile walk!! Yes, I remember when you first arrived here even a short walk was extremely difficult. Perhaps these last 10 pounds have really been a boost, too. Your post got me thinking...I lost the majority of my weight "before Beck" and now I'm really focusing on imprinting the healthy habits while continuing to live my "new normal". I was that person who needed to lose 100#, yet when I came to the Beck forum I was more like the person who needed to lose around 20. These 20 are more difficult for me, in a certain respect. Once I got in the SBD groove at 232# the initial 40# came off in less than 6 months. Now I learn to live with that loss, and recognize that sometimes when I fold my pants I still think I'm at my higher weight because I lived there so long. Beck DS is helping me to integrate.

maryann, yay for sticking with your planned snack and brushing off the thoughts of a candy bar.

gardenerjoy, :wave: and thanks for checking in! I enjoyed hearing, "Eating could be better but I seem to be back on track, so I'm not putting any energy into fretting, just staying on track". I'm finding that, too. Credit for just staying on track!

missyj, "still struggling a bit-but continuing to work on it" is a very powerful tool! *credit* I firmly believe it's the difference between an "off week" and an "off month, year, or even decade". I love tracking exercise and have found it to be very motivating. I used to do it consistently for everything. Right now I track miles on my bike (both recumbent and on the road). Thanks for the kind words...this is an incredible group.

SuperChick, thanks for the great summery on what sounds like an excellent book. I love the concept of eating time/living time. I will incorporate. BTW-I found that the time I spent + - 200# was an especially trying time. (before Beck, too). If I ate totally OP my number stayed under...if I had an off weekend, the scale would go above. It was such a major achievement to go under and was pretty distressing rising above. Hang tough! The trend is down!

Wishing you all a successful Beck day!

SuperChick
08-24-2011, 06:29 AM
Hello all. Still plodding on here, haven’t quite shook this cold and still feel grotty. Was totally on the brink of a day of overeating but I read through everyone’s posts and I feel renewed and more optimistic about the day. Perhaps inspired is a better word! BF’s parents left this morning, and whilst it was lovely to have them here I am looking forward to a return to normality and a break from the take-away / wine cycle that has been the past week.

I am going to attempt to lay low today and give my body what it needs to get through to tomorrow (sweat pants, book and the couch? Yes please!), have an early night and hopefully wake up cold free with a clear head tomorrow.

Thanks guys, having your support :grouphug: here is really helping my stay the course – it seems to have got rocky the past couple of weeks :shrug:

BillBlueEyes
08-24-2011, 06:56 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - It's cool this morning. The seasons are thinking change.

Worked hard to resist the draw of nuts and raisins to make tensions go away, CREDIT moi. Another day on plan feels good. Dinner on the patio included a marinated flank steak from the deli at Whole Foods - one step easier than going to a restaurant. I would have stopped at half of my served portion, but life is a bit hectic to include leftovers.

Took a walk to the post office to mail a letter, CREDIT moi, ignoring that it wasn't really important enough that it couldn't wait until the next day to be picked up by the postman. I just wanted it out of the house so my brain would remove it from the I-still-gotta-do-this list.

onebyone - Welcome to Toronto. And Kudos for seeing your relocation as an opportunity for change.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Glad you're moving on from the weekend.

Beverlyjoy – Thanks for "Leave a bite - all the time" - I'm forgetting that one and need to work on it.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Congrats on your successful teaching. And Kudos for such a healthy dinner.

maryann - LOL at, "but I seemed to have expanded a definition of bite" - I know about a bite of chili needing a bowl and some chips, just to test the seasonings.

Pam (pamatga) – Kudos for those three miles - without a wheelchair. It's refreshing to read your perspective that you can turn the extra pounds into an advantage for learning the lifetime strategies that can easily be forgotten by those who have a lessor journey.

Alana in Canada - Congrats for getting one fourth of your dental work done, with Kudos for avoiding an ice cream reward even when it was waved in your face.

missyj - Kudos for taking a long walk even without the "whole endorphin rush concept" - we're all so different.

Tazzy - I'm learning that gardening is hard exercise - Kudos for getting your exercise in such a fun way.

Readers - chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 4 Give Yourself Credit

Successful dieters continually put the focus on what they are doing right. They tell themselves, good job (or the equivalent), whenever they practice a Success Skill and stick to their eating plan. Doing so builds their self-confidence. They prove to themselves that they really can take control and exert self-discipline. In a study at the University of Pittsburgh, participants lost more weight if they practiced skills that increased their confidence, compared with participants who did not that these steps.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 66.

onebyone
08-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Good Morning Coaches

*credit for weighing in. Glad I didn't skip that this morning as the scale showed me a 3.4lb loss = 278.4!
Huh. :D Go figure. Thank you body for doing what you do.
You can bet I want to move my ticker to that 278 number on Friday so I will be VERY protective of my eating the next two days... persist in victory I say!

So this means I also commit to a WATP 1 mile session. I want to move that exercise ticker along. I know the two tickers (weightloss & workouts) support each other.

Today I have some fabulous chores to carry out. Today's the deadline to submit all supporting materials for my artist residency next February: a headshot, resume, an artist statement -- which must be pithy enough to draw 3 quotes from for their catalogue and their advertising (imagine!!!), a few images of past work. I found the headshot jpg I will send. I took it when I was coming up from a basement. It's a weird picture but I like it... and it's a flattering angle (looking down from above) so it's my choice. I have several versions of everything else so just to do it eh? Always with the doing...

bbl8r for personals.:wave:

PS I changed my avatar to one of my Mirrors of Positive Affirmation. It felt like the right message for me right now. I've attached a bigger jpg for you to see it better to this message...

puneri
08-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks folks.
I will try to get the book. I will start eating slowly and not do anything else while eating. Sorry, solved sudoku while having breakfast today.
I made oatmeal sanja today.
Recipe
In 2tea spoon olve oil saute onion, ginger and tomatoes.
Put oatmeal 1/2cup, salt to taste and 1 cup water.
After water dries down you get yummy sanja.

puneri
08-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Oh i also had 1/2 peach it was big and green tea.

puneri
08-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Just read. 12 day body shaping miracle by michael thermond.
It says you have to eat 30 min prior and 30 min after exercise.
Anybody following this?
Also you have to eat complex carbs in each meal.
What is your openion.

Alana in Canada
08-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Puneri,
when you read the pink book by Beck she recommends you pick a diet plan that you can follow. Does eating carbs at every meal appeal to you? Can you eat carbs at every meal?

For some, eating carbs sets them up to eat and eat and eat. (And not all carbs, but some. For example, white bread might trigger someone to eat the loaf, whereas rye bread may be fine. It depends on you and your body.

Ditto for the timed eating before and after exercise.

Losing weight is NOT about following rules. It's about being conscious and intentional about what you eat--and it's about eating less than you need to fuel your day so that your body uses up it's stored fat. BUT you can't eat so little your body thinks there's a sudden lack of food out there.

You have lost 16 pounds already--so you are doing something which works!

Another thing--don't do anything to lose weight you wouldn't want to do once the weight is gone--or it will come back. That's why Beck is so valuable. One needs the mental conditioning for ever.

Alana in Canada
08-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Good day Becksters.

credit--planned my food for today.
credit--got on the scale. Down something. (the scale said 242 or 243 something yesterday, today it is 241.4)

The night I ate too much Chinese food, I called my husband over and told him, "I ate too much Chinese."

He replied, "So? I got it for you as a treat."

"Yes, but I ate too much."

"So?"

"I feel like I've blown it. I feel like I might as well forget about it all and just eat whatever I want."

"That's just an excuse to give up."

"But what do I do?"

He looked at me like I was from another planet.

"No, seriously, I don't know what to do. I blew it. I'm a failure."

And then he said, "Why don't you just eat less tomorrow?"

"What?"

"Why don't you just eat half or something of whatever you eat tomorrow."

"Is that all? Is it that simple?"

and so it was.

(PS: dental work helps.)

Beverlyjoy
08-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Hi friends... yesterday was a healthy day - always grateful for that.

Today my cursor is jumping around again. I want to blow up the computer.

Some things I did yesterday:
planned/measured/ logged food
ate seated -mostly
fork down between bites -some of the time
no seconds - all the time
lots of water
a few stretches
Arc/rc/beck book - no
Eat slowly - some of the timer
Thinking about the difference be hunger, craving & desire.

I had a big plate of of sliced tomatoes left over from the cookout - th So I put them in a pot with some onions, pepppers, a bit of stevia and oregano and made some stewed tomatoes. So good!

I've got to get my car checked today. Some bolts on the car in the wheel well have popped off (not from the wheel) This should not happen!

I really need to include my meditation into my day. It always helps.

Good news... I have lost another pound. (four sticks of butter!) yay I was able to change my next mini goal from 224 to 219.

Taazzy - wonderful that you ate to fullness and recognized it, then stopped.

Onebyone - happy dance for pounds lost. Many credits, too. Carry on.

gardener joy - thanks for the book recommendations.

Alana - awesome to use your resistance muscle on ice cream. Hooray.

Lexxiss/Debbie - well done on only eating half your salmon and using healthy toppings on your potato. Yes, once ya get ‘into it’.. making healthy choices does often get easier at times.

super chick - I hope you feel better. Credit for resisting extra food for comfort.

Billbe- kudos for resisting nuts and raisins and walking to the PO for some excise.

Puneri - credit for trying to slow down and stay focused on the food only!

Have a great day.
I must get this cursor thing fixed.

pamatga
08-24-2011, 04:18 PM
GD :flow1: everyone!

Puneri I bought the 6 week Body Makeover Plan by Michael Thurmond (who is a former body builder champion for those who don't know who he is) about 4 years ago. It was $120! Which I think is a lot of money for a plan I wasn't sure that I could follow. Having said that, I still do his exercises. They are very good and his explanation and photos are very clear to follow. I also like the fact that in that book he includes anatomical pictures of the area of muscles you are working out.[P.S. Bill, you are correct, I have a rotator cuff injury and yes I have still been doing the shoulder exercises-one in particular seems to aggravate it but it is healing] I appreciate his attention to detail. I find that his rationale for a lot of what he recommends in his "approach" is very thoughtful and seems to makes sense.

However, I am one of the worst persons when it comes to "following" some of the advice that comes along with exercising. I typically don't stretch (just plain stupid!) and I don't "fuel" my body either. I have exercised on both cold muscles and an empty stomach more often than not. Last night I overate on my favorite whole wheat crust uber healthy pizza so I wanted to get just over that "bloated, too full" feeling and I hopped on the treadmill and walked for 20 minutes until it seemed to subside. That as close as I have come to actually "fueling" my workouts. I just plain don't feel I am at the point where I am really making super huge demands on my body when it comes to exercising. When I am doing a 3 mile walk every day (like I used to 5x a week for nearly 8 years) then yes I will probably have something before I walk but if you aren't really sweating until you're soaked, I don't think you need the extra calories. My opinion from my own experience.

gardenerjoy Thank You for the books. I wrote them down as well.

Onebyone you are a lot smarter than I have been. When I first moved here 7 1/2 years ago, I was depressed for the first full year, including breaking down after watching the movie "The Notebook". I just so missed my former life and what I had known was home. It is also painful when I have friends that I still am in contact with from "back there" who ask (almost in a whisper) will I ever "come back"? No, we won't. My sister even said, "If you won the lottery would you return?" No, we won't. The lose is felt on both sides. I can say unequivocably, this is Home.

I "resisted" to join in and since I worked from home, I really didn't get to know this city except on the occasional time that I went to something cultural. My Big Mistake!! Again, some of this was what was also happening in the past three years in my life: losing my only daughter, my mother and my job between 2007-2009, and also the fact that I worked from home which makes it less necessary to see what is going on around me. In my defense, as I shared yesterday, as my arthritis got worse, I also found the large spaces to be such a physical barrier to overcome. It just all seemed to snowball.

I have really struggled in knowing what, where and why of my life in the past couple of years. I have been so incredibly fortunate that my dear sweet Paul is so patient with me as I am in "limbo". It is just a plain icky place to be in right now. I hate it!

Gardenerjoy I am ready to read these books and see what these authors have to say. I too recognize what onebyone is describing.

Lexxiss and Bill --thanks for your comments. I am very serious about this being the last straw when it comes to reduction diets. I fully realize that this diet does not co-exist separate from maintenance (which I think many people believe) but that they are one in the same so when I have days like yesterday where in spite of the fact what I ate was very healthy, I still ate way too much (god, I love pizza!), I don't flip out like I might have in the past, I just note it and make a re-commitment to do better today. What else can I do, I mean, really???

Tazzy, maryann, Alana in Canada, missyj and beverlyjoy -Good Job in dealing with your daily challenges one thing at a time, one day at a time. That's the "Beck way!"

Stats for Day 15(Tuesday):

**3392 calories (1292+cals) 4036 mg sodium 64 grams of fiber!
**V/F: pineapple, 1 cup mixed fire-roasted tomatoes and spinach, 2 cups mixed fresh green peppers, onions, mushrooms and black olives
**walked 1.5 miles (use pedometer for accuracy)
**did strength exercises for upper and lower body
**walked 20 minutes on treadmill at 1.5 mph

Today is my "Day of Rest" from any "organized" exercise. I actually feel good enough to go a seventh day but the conventional rule of thumb is 6 days a week max so, for once, I am going to listen and "sit on it".

Have a good day, all!:broc:

Tazzy
08-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Hi Everyone!

Hope you all had a good OP day. I'm finding keeping up with the daily tasks for BDS a little daunting right now. I'm going to take some time this weekend to re-read through the first 20 days (on day 20 today) to remind myself of everything.

I did not do today's food plan until standing in the kitchen this morning wondering what to take. I was wishing I had something in the freezer to grab and go but decided to take the time and make a veggie salad and added a fresh peach and some deli ham. It was a very tasty lunch! Credit to me for a smart meal choice. Had a pasta dinner and followed it with two :( servings of nectarine cobbler - but it tasted so good. I am now going to get out my bike and ride to a friends house with some of the veggies from my garden. I'll have to take the long way around!

I did weigh this morning and saw the lowest number I have seen in over two years so happy with that.

Just booked our flights to go with our Caribbean cruise in Feb so if that doesn't give me some incentive to stay on track I'm not sure what will!

BillBlueEyes
08-25-2011, 05:41 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another day on plan, CREDIT moi. The Sabotaging Thoughts that a handful of nuts will make tension issues go away keep on coming; I'm just remembering that I have goals and extra nuts won't take me there.

At dinner at a favorite local Greek restaurant, I ordered a second green salad instead of rice pilaf. CREDIT moi for skipping one of the tastiest parts of the meal to save the wad of calories in their huge servings. Also passed on the offered Baklava (layers of phyllo dough filled with honey, walnuts and pistachios) for dessert using the Beck strategy, "I can have some tomorrow if I want." Besides, I want to travel to Greece to have the real thing.

onebyone - Knew you'd be back, 270's - feel free to stay here. Just love the notion of a Mirror of Positive Affirmation. Kudos for moving forward with your exercise.

Beverlyjoy – Your stewed tomatoes sound so yummy; I almost never have stewed tomatoes in my life.

Pam (pamatga) – Big Kudos for "I just note it and make a re-commitment to do better today" - my take is that's the secret of a healthy lifestyle. Once you get away from the notion of "I've already blown it so I'll just ..." then you have a chance.

Alana in Canada - LOL that it's "that simple." Why yes, yes it is. And it's difficult to do simple sometimes.

Tazzy - Congrats on your new low number. Yep, all the strategies of the Beck Diet Solution are overwhelming at first. It takes a lot of repetition before they become habitual - keep the faith, it'll happen. Cool move to book your February cruise as a motivator.

puneri - Sigh, I do Sudoku with my breakfast every morning. I've done the eating only experiments - I do think about my food more when I do that - but I combine Sudoku with eating slowly and mindfully as best I can. Otherwise I'd never get to do my daily Sudoku!

Kudos for moving forward. I have a protein shake before going to the gym and usually have my afternoon snack afterwards; I have no way to determine if it's useful or important, but it's the advice I've chosen to follow. I probably have complex carbs at every meal as a consequence of avoiding the simple carbs.

Readers - chapter 4

Unsuccessful dieters focus too much on their mistakes, viewing themselves as weak, bad, or hopeless. They tend to ignore their small daily successes and therefore don't gain a sense of self-efficacy - a belief that they can, through their own efforts, reach their goals. They get easily discouraged and are more likely to give up when dieting becomes more difficult.

SuperChick
08-25-2011, 06:04 AM
Morning coaches, hope I find you all well. Yesterday was not a good day for me, but I’m shaking it off and getting on with today. I made myself weigh in this morning, and I’m up 5lbs since Monday!!! 5lb in 3 days! I cannot believe this is all fat as I definitely didn’t eat 23,500 calories in the past 3 days… hopefully if I stick to being on plan some of this will drop off quickly as salt / water weight… hopefully!

I’m trying to be positive but I have to go dress shopping on Saturday for an outfit for a wedding. The wedding is not for another 2 weeks but this is the only time I can shop between now and then… so I’m being super careful today and tomorrow with my eating, and I’ve upped the ante on my exercise – if I feel confident when I’m shopping I seem to have a much better experience. It is an intimidating thought right now though...

I don’t want to dwell on my off-plan eating from yesterday but I feel so bloated today – and last night I felt pretty bleugh too. I need to remember this for next time, why would I choose to eat in a manner that makes me feel this way?

Book update: more useful gems – say grace / a little mantra (doesn’t have to be out loud) before a meal / eating – this should give you a moment to contemplate and if you’re going to eat off plan you’ve a moment to assess whether you want to do it. Similarly, saying a little mantra after your meal (like, ‘mmm, that food was delicious, eating time is ended’) gives your meal a definite end.

BBE – dinner on the patio sounds lovely and credit for strengthening your resistance muscle – you give them nuts what for!

Onebyone – awesome loss and good luck for the next two days.

Tazzy – the Caribbean! Awesome! (Jealous! ;) )

Pam – ouch for limbo, good for you to have picked someone who supports you so well.

Alana - your little dialogue made me smile. strange how others can see things so clearly...

Right, I'm off to do some work and think positive, fat melting thoughts! :goodvibes

pamatga
08-25-2011, 09:31 AM
GD everyone!

Superchick I swear there is a law of physics, unknown but still there, that whenever there is a special event coming up, our bodies gain weight. "Conspiracy theory or not", it is just plain tortuous to those of us who want to be at our very best for such special "rite-of-passage" as weddings, etc. It is sodium-induced bloat. No consolation, I am sure but thought I would put it out there for you. I am even finding that I am getting that the next day after I do my strength exercises with weights. This weight lose journey takes a lot of patience, among other traits. Drink lots of water in the next few days and I think it will be "released" soon thereafter.

I'm an early bird today. I didn't sleep long but I awoke early so I thought I would get some things done while I "feel like it". I had an "interesting experience" yesterday but this is how I decided to handle it. Since I awoke late enough that both breakfast and brunch weren't a viable option, I waited until I was empty enough (remember my delicious pizza from Tuesday, I sure do!). I didn't eat until 4 p.m. (I do the hunger experiment often just to see how long I can tolerate it--builds my resistance muscle:D) and even then I really wasn't very hungry. My DH was super busy all day and he had plans to eat elsewhere so since I had the "day off" from cooking for two, I decided to just have snacks. By 11:30 p.m. last night, I had had only 1000 calories.

Now, since I really went over my desired calories the day before, the "temptation" was to call it a day but I started getting a wee bit of hungry and I decided to make toast and eggs so I was eating at least my BLC recommended minimum calories for the day. Rationale? It is very tempting when a person gets going with losing weight to want to push it the limits. I know I have in the past but I also seem to remember that it usually has a boomerang effect and then you get these wide swings of overeating/undereating, etc. Besides not being good for one's physical health, it also is not good for one's mental health. Hence, "business as usual". I haven't eaten in 8 1/2 hours right now and when I finish typing this, I am going to make pancakes; something I have been thinking about for a couple of days.

Yup, Bill, that is how "normal" (aka thin) people do it. It is coming back to me.

What reinforced that for me yesterday is that I spent most of the afternoon going through my closet and trying on different clothes. I told my DH when he finally came home that I felt like I had been at the local Mall all day shopping. I was finding clothes I had never worn but were back in the closet hanging there with tags on them. I was delighted to see how many did NOT fit because they were too big. Some were a size 22. (RE: I started as a size 26/28 not that long ago). Life was feeling mighty good at that moment.:D Who needs extra food??? Not me!!

Stats for Day 16 (8/24):

**yesterday was my "Day of Rest" from any "organized" exercise. Although I felt like it, six days a week, even the small amount that I do, is what is recommended and I really don't want to injure myself so instead I relaxed. I spent the time instead going through my closet (see above). Time well spent!
**1777 calories 3299 mg sodium 32 grams of fiber.
**F/V: apple, NS cranberry juice, NS orange juice, celery, green peppers, carrots.

Tazzy
08-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Good morning Coaches & Buddies,

Got to work earlier today so taking a few minutes for a short note then I'm going to read up on Day 21 strategies.

Pamatga - love the idea of shopping in your own closet and finding things that are too big.

SuperChick - I like your "postive, fat melting" affirmation. Think I'll add that to my notebook today.

I also decided to print a couple of pictures of the cruise ship, one for my RC cards and one to put on my computer. It should be a good visual reminder of my journey right now.

Have a great day everyone!

onebyone
08-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Hello Coaches

After eating chicken wings with DH last night (when I felt overwhelmingly tired and did not want to cook for us), I drank water and NS ice tea and just plain went to bed. I woke up feeling bloated, which is why I was going to avoid the scale. But I weigh myself everyday because it's better for me to see the facts than to live with my fears over my weight number the whole day long. That number is much preferable to me. So *credit for weighing in and seeing -1.8lbs = 276.6! :?: Wow. I really *believed* I was back to 280 not further down the scale. I now really really want to hang onto that number for tomorrow's offical weighin. Could I really be heading for 270 now? Really? Would it be possible for me to be less than 270? Really? Me?

Stay tuned.
I did get some library books. gardenerjoy I have read some of the one you recommended--I mostly remember Steering by Starlight. It was a good read. I am dedicating myself to The Four Day Win: End Your Diet War and Achieve Thinner Peace by Martha Beck, PhD. There is a text bubble on the cover that saysScience-based thought and behavior strategies that will enable you to stay on a healthy eatng program... forever Can you say a clone of the Beck Diet Solution? It sure is similar but not the same. More reinforcement though and I like that. She introduces tasks to do and you do them for 4 days in a row. Your tasks are "ridiculously easy" like if you want to eventually do a triathalon but you are a couch potato, you wouldn't start by setting your task as running a marathon, but maybe walk everyday for 5 minutes. You chunk down your tasks until they seem so easy to you that if someone was telling you you were going to do that task, you would just roll your eyes and go duh-yeah... she calls these turtle steps and one thing leads to another and you build on your success. I completely know this is true and 100% believe in this strategy.

Here's a link to the book at amazon http://www.amazon.com/Four-Day-Win-Achieve-Thinner-Peace/dp/B000MDH1PC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The other thing the book promises is if you follow it and do the exercises you will just be plain happier no matter your weight, and this is always good. I guess that's the "thinner peace" she mentions.

Her writing style is "snarky" to me. I find it irritating but others, especially in the reviews, find her "hilarious". Her information is good though so I will "learn to like it"... Maybe I'll get a four day win in relation to her writing style! ha!

I sent of all my support materials to the artist residency people. I worked on it all day! That's what took all my eneregy yesterday. I resisted the ruge to self-sabotage and kept checking off the list of what they needed one by one. The headshot image was the toughest thing. I found a jpg of me laughing loudly and I sent that for my headshot. I had a choice of four I liked. The laughing one is from the side and I changed it to black and white and heightened the contrast on it. It's full of movement and energy. It's what I wish for myself.

Better go folks. I'm spending the day reading the 4 Day Win book. This is my reward for yesterday's work. Bye.

Beverlyjoy
08-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Hi Beckfolks and coaches - yesterday was a great healthy day... I am so grateful. I thought about many of my goals and acheived some too.

planned/measured/logged food - yes
eat seated only - most of time
no seconds - yes
left a bite - yes
fork down between bites - some of the time
slow/mindful/tasting the food - some of the time
journaling - yes
meditation - no
exercise - no
lots of water - yes
weighed - yes
read Beck Book - yes
Arc/rc - some of them

I took my car in to be fixed. I waited and took that time to read my Beck workbook and take some notes. Really trying to focus on doing the things that helped me the past with food. I logged my food into the Sparkpeople food tracker. It's been helpful.

My friend connected me to a program called Touch-freeze. So far it’s keeping my cursor from jumping all over the page. I’ll let you know. It’s free too.

Pamatga - I am all about doing stretches everyday along with some strengthening. I don’t get in much cardio, however. I think as long as we are committed to do something on a regular basis, that’s the most important thing. You had wonderful exercise stats for last Tuesday. Kudo’s on some dresses being too big!

T-azzy - I hear ya on all the ‘beck stuff’- it can take up time. It gets easier over time. Your impromtu lunch sounds like a good choice. I love that you are putting a picture of the cruise ship in with your response cards.

Billbe - credit for using beck techniques to help you stay away from the nuts and that you ordered two salads. Good reminder… yes, I CAN have it tomorrow. Just plan for it.

Super-chick - you are so right about the five pounds. That number is effected by so many things - those five pounds are not fat. You will find just the right dress.

Onebyone - yes.. It IS possible for you to get into the 260’s. Martha Beck’s book looks interesting.

Have a great day.

maryann
08-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Afternoon, Beckies:
Quite a week for me. Second week of school is high energy. That is the good and bad. I have kept up with exercise but had terrible leg cramps in the middle of the nite. I have been solidly OP even thru a couple days of deep blue. Keeping low today and promising myself a little rest this afternoon before I dive into MFA stuff the rest of the week. DS and DH are being angels. They both came to my Back to School nite for support. It really touches my heart how proud they both are of me. I never feel I do a good enough job, but sometimes I see myself in their eyes and I realize I am enough.
Big ticker move today. Only two pounds from goal.

beverleyjoy: Hope the car and mouse see an end to their woes.
BBE: Although I am sure it feels extremely devilish for you, I can't help but smile a little at the worry over nuts and raisins when there are people out there worrying about eating a sixth fried twinkie. Credit for healthy habits even if the emotional eating is still baffling.
puneri: the book will help a lot.
Pamatga: I get a lot of comfort fiddling with my closet. I love weeding out the big stuff. I have even taken to creating 15 - 20 outfits on a Sunday afternoon, group them together on the hangers and then I never have to think about what to wear. I'm set for three weeks. Plus, if I put together and outfit, and hate wearing one of the pieces (weird cut, spot, etc...) I know I can give it away.
Lexxiss: I like the melon idea. I am going to get some this weekend.
Superchick: Hang in there. Buy something nice that fits perfectly "for today" you need a boost. I remember at the beginning of Beck I bought two capris pants at a size that drove me to Beck, wore them for a month and a half and gladly donated them.
Alana: I am sorry for the dental problem. It must be very uncomfortable.

Everybody else: Continue to trudge the road of HAPPY Destiny.

Lexxiss
08-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Hi Coaches!

I had an off day yesterday...temporarily worn down in my continual caretaker mode. I accompanied DH to the dentist. He was supposed to be in for 90 min. I sat down with the dentist,outlined the plan, then decided to grocery shop. 45 minutes later I pulled up and DH was outside and very agitated that he had been waiting for "an hour" for me.

I had made an appointment with his biofeedback specialist, but called and cancelled. I just didn't think he would agree to go.

I overate OP foods, however, did not ride my bike for donuts. *credit*

*credit* for always waking up with a new resolve. DH was "off" again this AM. I managed to talk him into not skipping water aerobics, then miraculously talked him into seeing his biofeedback/EFT therapist. She gave him a big reset and a pep talk. Whew. His agitation is gone.

So...food dilemma...tonight is his summer TBI (traumatic brain injury) picnic. Everyone is bringing a side dish and the organizer is bringing KFC fried chix for everyone. In my perfect life I was going to call her and ask if she could bring some roasted, however, she has not been home all day. I would just "bring my own", but this is a big deal to the girl who organizes, and she would not understand (I know this). Being able to organize for this group is her life. I understand. So, if she does not call me back soon I am *gulp* going to have fried chicken...I don't have to eat the entire tub. In my best case scenario, her mom, who eats healthy will have already thought of it and there will be roasted. I'm bringing salad :cp: and 3 desserts (2 sugar free).

So, that's my check in for the day. Thanks for being here, everyone, and best wishes to all!

Tazzy
08-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Hi All!

Pretty good day today, really wanted chocolate and have been able to resist so far. I'm feeling pretty full from dinner so should be able to last the evening without any further snacks. My colleagues and I are going out for lunch tomorrow, the restaurant we chose has a good database of nutritional information online so I was able to go through the menu and make some choices to fit into the calorie range I'd like. Not many available though, it's either blackened salmon or a chicken burger. I'm thinking the burger will win, I'll order it with a salad and fresh veggies on the side. Some of the menu items are over 1000 calories for an entree. There was one dessert that was 1820, that's more than I have in a day. I'm glad I researched it first and have a plan as I could really waiver once there. My one co-worker is getting her lifetime at WW tonight for losing 50 pounds so she's pretty determined to stay on plan as well. And the two guys we work with would not be concerned about a calorie of any kind :)

Re-read BDS for the yesterday and it was quite appropriate to be "back on track", again I'm going to review things over the weekend and see which tasks and cards I may have missed. Some of it is starting to become second nature, like sitting down to eat and eating slowly. I'm also starting to leave a bite on my plate but that one is hard as I usually try not to take too much to start with. Practice, practice! Guess I can't be on the kids to finish what is left on their plates. And as my 12 year old points out, and has since he was 10, him not eating something is not going to help a starving child in Africa. If only we had been raised to think that way instead of the "clean your plate" club. And that is no slight at all to my parents, just the way is was for their generation.

See you all tomorrow!

SuperChick
08-26-2011, 06:06 AM
Hello Becksters! On OP day for me yesterday, and I am thankful. My fat melting thoughts must have worked yesterday, because when I stepped on the scale it was down 3.4lb! Crazy, I cannot believe how much the scale is going up and down this week, compared to a few weeks ago when it was staying pretty much the same everyday. I drank plenty of water and did some exercise (the simple things!) and that seems to have worked to get rid of the bloated feeling.

Thanks for your positive thoughts about getting a dress, and I think that Maryann, you are right. I will buy a dress that fits now, because if I try to force the weight off, it will stick, I know it!

Credits: weighed in, checked in, read ARC, planned meals, gym before work, biked to work, broke the overeating cycle!

Pam – totally agree – the moment I try to get too goal orientated (usually with an unrealistic goal) I seem to fall of the wagon totally and eat everything is sight. Lesson to be learned for me I think…

Onebyone – you’ll be at 27- before you know it!

Beverlyjoy – awesome OP day and good use of hanging around time – it could have been so easy to go to a coffee shop…

Maryann - :woohoo: only 2lb to go – awesome. And a massive credit on not letting your emotions drive your eating.

Debbie – good luck at the picnic – perhaps you can take some chicken but not eat it? Hide it under some salad leaves? Or maybe just eat a small amount…

Tazzy – credit for the forward planning :)

BillBlueEyes
08-26-2011, 06:28 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another day on plan, CREDIT moi. It's good to be reading Beck's chapter on giving oneself credit since I feel silly giving myself credit for merely staying on the path.

We're preparing for the Hurricane Irene around here, making sure that nothing's loose outside. I do hope we don't lose electricity; with lots of rain our sump pumps go constantly to keep the basement dry. We don't have a good way of fighting the water without an electric motor for the pump or for the wet vac.

onebyone - LOL at your observation that Dr. Martha Beck reads like a clone of Dr. Judith Beck. I did enjoy reading The Four Day Win - felt like I had to since folks were confusing the two a while back. Congrats for getting your support material to the residency folks.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for the day when you fixed your car and your cursor.

FutureFitChick – My admiration for your sensitivity to the feelings of the organizer of the TBI picnic. Yep, a piece of fried KFC won't kill you, especially if you carefully remove the crispy part holding the lard.

maryann - Kudos for "I realize I am enough" - a good place to be.

Pam (pamatga) – Yay for shopping at the very local Mall, LOL. Neat NSV that you're seeing the size change. Kudos for being so mindful about your eating even when under your plan.

SuperChick - Smart strategy there, "I’m shaking it off and getting on with today." Hope you can use your dress shopping to give yourself some affirmation about your body - there's so much shopping for clothes to be done in life, it's great if it can be a positive experience. (By the by, methinks you typo'ed on 23,500 calories for 5 pounds.)

Tazzy - Love the idea of pictures of the cruise ship as visual motivators. Good Grief, "one dessert that was 1820" - just boggling. Good luck living with a 12 year old who can figure out that what he does or doesn't eat won't help the starving children of Africa.

Readers - chapter 4

Steve, a dieter I counseled, had this problem. He had worked hard all day to eat everything slowly, while sitting down and enjoying every bite. But he didn't give himself credit. After dinner, he mindlessly ate a slice of orange as he was clearing the table. He focused on this one time he had slipped, becoming highly self-critical. Instead of building his self-confidence (he had, after all, eaten his previous meals and snacks perfectly), he eroded it.

onebyone
08-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Hi Coaches

Today was official weigh-in day and I was down 0.2lbs = 276.5lbs.

This is a welcome surprise.:D I wonder if my body is responding to the news that it doesn't have to travel for at least a month? I would not doubt it.

*credit for making tomato sauce from scratch yesterday! Yum. I had a big tomato left from MIL's garden and I had one tomato to harvest of my own. I scalded them, removing their skins and then cored them. Cut them up-removing seeds and the juice together (oops--was supposed to do this over a sieve so you hang onto the juice--my bad) tossed the tomato pieces into the frying pan with some olive oil and some onion and garlic, salt, pepper, a bit of thyme and a bit of basil. Added a cup of water and then cooked it down to a thickened liquid--like what I see in a can. DH doesn't like big tomato chunks so I used the small hand blender to mush it up after it was reduced enough. My brother (who gave me this recipe) told me that he freezes his tomato sauce for the winter by using a freezer container, like a round one or a square one, for a mold. He pours the tomato sauce into it then lets it freeze then he removes it from the container once frozen and puts that into a large freezer bag, freeing up the container for the next time. I think this is genius. I was making (*credit for cooking from scratch) stuffed pasta shells so I need 28oz of sauce. My 2lb tomato + 1 small one = 8oz so I had to add the regular stuff from the can to it but I could taste the difference. It was just "brighter". DH agreed. So if we have the $ I'd love to buy a basket or two of tomatoes this weekend at the farmers market and make some sauce for the coming months. I found this to be really rewarding. I want to try "putting up" some pickles too. I have a "kit" for that that I bought ages ago and that I deliberately brought here with us when we moved. It's under the sink. Today that is my fun thing to do: to see what I need to make our own pickles.

Just found out we have no $ for the farmers market this weekend. Is ok. We can do it next weekend. I'll still enjoy the planning to do it. It gives me time to get the big stand up freezer in order. yikes. The interior has mold from not being properly cleaned when we moved. I opened it once since it's been here. Scary. But I need it soon so that is my real chore tomorrow.

And if you got this far reading this, I have to tell you my time out to read yesterday afternoon was really time well spent. That 4 Day Win book is really talking to me. I know that my weight issues are deep. It's not about rules, calories, foodplans for me. Not really. My issues are deeper, like rebellion and fighting back and a deep distrust of my body. There's a lot of heavy things that drive me to binge eat. This is the only book I have read that has actual exercises to calm and connect with the rebel part of me. It's also a very abstract kind of program--hard to explain what I mean cause it's right brained not left brained stuff. When she describes the brain as the Predator and the body like Prey, I just get that. I can accept that both extremes live inside me. I've lived it: the planned, ordered, weighed and measured foodplan; the day by day steady march toward weightloss success only to go crazy and be triggered by something and eat eat eat until I feel like I'm going to burst while I eat all the foods that are "bad" for me.

She also calls the brain a Dictator, the body a Wild Child. If the dictator yells and orders the wild child around enough the wild child goes crazy as soon as she gets a chance. yeah. I get that. The key, she says, is to be calm, to get calm, to be able to remove yourself from both identities and to take a step back--to become the Watcher. If you can befriend your prey body = taking away the reactionary urges by not triggering the fight or flight respknse that prey animals have and if you can calm the dictator down from shouting orders and freaking out then you can have peace and you will be able to make real choices about food that are true to you and you alone. It's a very intriguing set up in this book and I think, for me, it will work. I have never read half the stuff she talks about. It's all about changing your brain too, which is what the peacefulness we are striving for does. If you are not sure about that whole business, that you can change your brain, I urge you to read The Brain That Changes Itself or Brain Rules. OMG. Talk about hopeful! These are two must reads. If you feel hopeless food and eating-wise pick these books up. We have a lot of power to change ourselves, and I mean the physical makeup of our brains. It is fantastic this body we have.

Oh. Guess I was up on a soap box there. I'm just excited and hopeful.

Have a great Friday.

SuperChick
08-26-2011, 10:45 AM
BBE - I can tell you how I worked it out, but i don't know if it's correct, ha ha! So 1lb of fat is 3500 calories, so 5lb x 3500 = 17,500 calories, then i added on 2000 cals for each day (rough basal rate) so 6000 cals for 3 days, this gives 23,500 cals total... very scientific! :lol:

Tazzy
08-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Good morning Coaches & Buddies,

Just a quick note for all those on the east coast in the path of Hurricane Irene. I hope you are all safe and sound!

I'll be back later today after my lunch to let you know how I did :)

onebyone
08-26-2011, 11:56 AM
BillBlueEyes I am really really hoping Irene leaves you and your sump pumps alone! Is your basement empty? Be prepared for power outages in general and get some foodstuffs and such. If you and DW need a place to evacuate to, you can come to my house anytime. :hug: CREDITfor not turning to treenuts as Irene threatens. AND CREDIT for working out for a few years now so you have a body that can work for you when you need it to, like now, getting ready for this weather event.

SuperChick I greatly sympathize with your recent scale surprises. I can fluctuate up to 8lbs. I think once it was closer to 11! 3-5 is very common for me. It does throw you off but I have learned that if you are close to your plan, up the water intake, do a workout if it's really sticking to you, that weight just falls off again. CREDIT for not panicking and just moving forward. The body does what it wants when it wants. I wish you luck finding a great dress this weekend!

Tazzy CREDIT for working your Beck program so some things are becoming automatic. It's neat how all of a sudden it doesn't take as much conscious effort anymore. Good job! I too am working toward leaving a bite. I find that so so so hard to do. It's not like that one bite will make me that much more full or anything...for me I think that it comes down to "that's MINE. I WANT it cause it's MINE." It strikes me that that is the perfect action to practice letting go and being at peace with food. Maybe I can get to doing it by thinking of it that way. I too am heading to the sunny south in February. We have the same concrete deadline. Don't know about you, but I just picture this: :beach: and I know I want to be smaller and healthier. It is great motivation. We are lucky ducks.

LexxissI forget how many stresses you juggle in your life. You deserve a GREAT BIG CREDIT for doing all that and being committed to your own health. Its just life eh? There is no guarantee that just because we decide to deal with the weight that the rest of the world will cooperate and make everything easy. Ha! How did the food event last night go?
As I was reading the 4 Day Win she mentions rewards like everyday you get a reward for practicing one skill and then a Big Reward for doing it for 4 days. It struck me that I would really just like to hop on a bike just to ride it. Just to feel that motion and that speed. I don't want to think of it as exercise or a tool to lose weight. I want to do it because I think it might be fun and feel good to go fast.... Thanks for your great example. You're awesome Lexxiss.:hug:

maryann CREDIT for getting back to school to teach and for planning a return to your MA work. I am thrilled you felt you were "enough" right where you are today, right now. That is fantastic. I hope you can treasure that memory.Also CREDIT for being so close to goal... excellent work!

Beverlyjoy Have I told you how happy I am that you are back posting regularly? You are my hero for "left a bite"! Good job NOT using food to cope with a cranky cursor and car. Carry on.

pamatga I greatly appreciate the post you made a few days ago detailing your journey thus far. I remember when you first came to the Beck board and you were pretty sleepless, had lots of pain and physically things were hard. You did not let this stop you. You did not use this as a excuse to not move. You found a way to do what you can when you can and in a way that respects your body. That body/mind peace that I am reading about in the 4 Day Win book seems to be expressed by you. She says in the book that when you finally connect the two, the body and the mind, the body will support the mind's plans and not rebel any longer. The bouts of off plan binging or rebellious eating are less and less. I sense you may have passed this hump. I don't want to speak for you but given your physical starting point and your current level of activity and your lack of injury, you MUST be listening to your body bigtime. AWESOME. CREDIT to you for this work and continuing success to you! Thank you also for your detailed posts and the time and energy you put into them.:hug:

hello to everyone I missed and to the lurkers:wave:

Beverlyjoy
08-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi Beckfolks -I am smiling ... I had another healthy day yesterday. I am grateful. I fulfilled many of my goals. One credit that comes to mind is that I didn't take a piece of candy on my way out of the doctor's office. It's hard to resist a Hershey Chocolate kiss... but, I did it. yay. And.. it's usually my M.O. to get a sugary or high calories 'treat' after getting my blood check. Kind of like...'it won't matter'. - sabatoging thought. However, I yelled back at the thought and stayed with my plan. Credit.

Goals:
plan/measure/log food & put into Food Tracker - yes
lots of water - yes
stretches and strengthening - yes
eat seated only - mostly (stopped myself several times from licking cooking spoon.)
slow, mindful eating - some of the time
taste the food - some of the time
leave a bite - all of the time
fork down between bites - some of the time
Beck Book, - yes
journal - no
meditation - yes!!!
weighed - yes
arc/rc - no

I am really working on getting my 5-7 fruits and veggies every day. Of course, I'd rather have fruit! I've stayed well in my food range.

I just read in one of Dr. Beck's book to count to ten after you've swallowed a bite of food before you take another bite. I will aim for that today.

I am very grateful for the willingness to try again.
And, very very grateful to take the time to meditate.

I must take my mom to some appointments. I will try and get back for personals later.

Billbe - stay safe from Irene. I am wishing you a dry basement, friend.

Also, safety to any others in the path of this hurricaine.

Have a great day.

maryann
08-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Good Morning:
I tried eating a few different foods yesterday and found I was hungrier. I wasn't sure I had enough protein, so aside from adding a few cheese sticks (and a taste of brown sugar-oops) I was OP. Today I am sticking with my standard. Credit for not using an "imperfect" plan day to jump into a plate of my favorite frosted sugar cookies at DS back to school nite. I really heard my sabotaging thoughts "Well, the day wasn't perfect anyway" and said "No Choice." Credit for step class and sweating. I will finish two book reports (annotations is the fancy word) today. DS and DH are off to Tahoe to let me work. Boy, are they going to have a lot of fun boating and 4-wheeling. I wish I could go with them but it is better for me to finish some stuff up.
onebyone:I love th tomato sauce lesson. I am a big freezer. I make homemade bread, etc... and it is satisfying to create something out of little.
BBE and All: Good luck with the hurricane.
Superchick: Simple enough - weigh and measure plus exercise equals loss. Why can't I remember that?

Beverlyjoy
08-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi again.. back to personals...

Onebyone - thanks, I am glad to be posting again, too. It seems that leaving a bite is not hard for me and so hard for others. I don’t know why at all. Hopefully my days of licking the plate are gone.

Maryann - credit for being OP as school begins and all the stress that comes with that and the transitions. It’s lovely your kids are proud… believe it! Two pounds from goal… yippeeeee. :) Also - credit for staying away from the cookies when the day wasn't quite as planned.!

Lexiss/Debbie - a hug for the caretaker-à ((Debbie)). :hug: I know it can make a person weary. Credit for not heading to the donuts. I hope the picnic went OK. I have been known to take the skin off of KFC. I had to destroy it to not eat the skin later.

t-azzy - it’s great when nutrition is available for restaurants we go to. An 1800 calorie desert… Yikes!

super chick - so glad to hear you’ve been OP and down 3.4. Awesome. :carrot: It’s true… lots of water helps get rid of extra water.

puneri
08-26-2011, 07:15 PM
hi everyone,
had a nice healthy breakfast oatmeal, 1/2 banana, peach green tea.
had snack 1/2 cup cottage cheese.
I went to IHOP for lunch had chicken breast and romain letuce with dressing at side. DS ordered tilapia with fried potato. I had 1 piece of fried potato.
Did cardio for 20 min on elliptical tried to stay in fat melting range of heart.
Did stability ball exercises with trainer.
will have salman and veges for dinner.
had about 7 glasses of water..will have 1 or 2 more.
Overall doing great.
some meditation is needed.

pamatga
08-26-2011, 07:44 PM
onebyone Thank you for your comments. It is nice to see you really found something that really connects for you. You seem more focused and centered.

In my opinion, this is the Core of the BDS: "you have the power to lose weight and keep it off and don't let anyone/anything tell you differently. Having said that, put away your misconceptions and preconceived notions and I will tell you how you will succeed in spite of the contrary beliefs, statistics and conventional wisdom."

Until I was willing to hear Dr. Beck's side of the story, I was close to giving up. I had been trying for decades and all I had managed to lose was the same 45 lbs over and over again, with each time regaining another 10 lb so that ballooned into where I tipped over the 300 lbs mark. My immediate family is still in shock over this. My average weight until I was 29 years old was 140 lbs. My 36 year old son has never known me anything other than what I have been for the past 29 years: medically obese. As someone once said, "When I see a person with over 100 lbs to lose, I see a person who has more than just an issue of eating too much food."

For the past week, I have been going through my closet and trying on clothes to see which ones need to be given away. I have done this so many times in the past, that I really hadn't given it much thought about if there would be many to keep or that I could wear (or want to wear). I had a few "tried and true" I always wore because I knew that they would fit "no matter what" but, quite frankly, I was even getting tired of those, simply because I knew when I put them on just why I was putting them on.

As my son just told me today, "Mom, I get the feeling you have always been one to just settle...." I cried when I got off the phone because he was absolutely right. That is all I have ever done is "just settle....". In my heart of hearts, I have always known this but I never could admit it to myself. Instead, I ate and ate until I had no other choice but to "just settle."

Yesterday, instead of doing my strength exercises, I decided to try on some of these clothes before I sacked them up. Now, this time, it is a little different. I've lost enough weight where I thought "maybe, I just might be able to wear a few other things..." I tried on a pair of pants that when I used to wear them I couldn't zip the front up all the way, I would wear a sweater over them to cover that and you could still see that I had a huge pot belly. Yesterday, they fit perfectly. No stomach, zipped up all the way and I wasn't wear a top to cover them up. I turned to the side. Fine. Back. Fine. My mouth dropped open. I couldn't believe my eyes. For a brief moment, I remembered how I used to look. I had honestly forgotten. I looked "normal". No trick mirrors. Just "applied effort". Now, not everything in my closet does "wonders" like these pair of pants but, for a brief moment, I realized that "Hey, you know what, it can be different. I don't have to accept being heavy any more. I really do have other options." I don't have to "just settle".

[Sidenote: I haven't told my family including my son about my recent weight lose. I might be seeing everyone for the holidays and I want to wait until they see me---a picture is worth a thousand words.]

Onebyone I do know what a BIG DEAL this is for you. There is a way out of this maze we have been in for so long.

Now, reality check:

Stats for Day 18 (8/25):
**2416 calories 4129 mg sodium 26 grams of fiber
**walked 2.25 miles (used pedometer for accuracy)
**had to split sessions on treadmill into 2 because of my knees really hurting badly: 1 15 min and 1 10 min at 1.5 mpg
**did poorly on F/V: black eyed peas (my fav!) and cooked carrots, no fruit!

I weigh in daily and, much to my chagrine, I am regaining some of the weight I lost: 8 lb in 4 days to be precise. I spent several hours pouring over my previously logged food plans and I know that it is my "usual" culprit: more calories and way too much sodium. However, with the level of activity that I am doing I am going to have to dig even deeper. Something is definitely amiss.

Superchick If you can find the dress that will make it look like you've lost 25 lbs then do it!! It is worth the sore feet shopping to get it. If I can find a pair of pants that make me look half my size, that dress is out there somewhere.

Woodland
08-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Hi Coaches,

Writing to say hello, I'm reading and being motivated by your posts daily, and hoping that everyone in the path of Irene makes it through with minimal impact. BBE - stay safe !!

I've been motivated by these phrases lately (that I picked up from all of you)
~ Being healthy isn't about WILL power, it is about WANT power, how badly do I want this?
~ I'm an active person, and watch what I eat everyday
~ I don’t have to turn to food when stressed. That kind of 'help' is such an illusion and is so short lived
~ There is a time to eat, and there is a time to live. Don’t let thoughts of food fill the living times
~ Fortunately, this journey requires persistence, not perfection

Take care all,
Woodland

Tazzy
08-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Hello All!

Lunch went very well for me, I did not even look at the menu and ordered the grilled chicken burger, no mayo with sides of mixed greens and fresh veggies with both dressing and dip on the side. We ended up talking about the number of WW points on the menu items, the cheesecake dessert was 920 calories or 22 points. It ended up after lunch that none of us wanted dessert and I left feeling a normal fullness, very happy about that and credit to me! I kept thinking about mint chocolate chip ice cream I had in the freezer driving home but when I got here I remembered that it's only the first spoon that tastes so good so I said "oh well" (my task for the day) and had a banana and some cool whip instead. Credit for staying in my calories for the day even though I felt like I could eat endlessly and making healthier choices.

Pamatga Congrats on pants that fit and make you realize how far along you have come!

SuperChick credit for the 3.4lb loss and good luck dress shopping

onebyone love the sun-bathing lounging smiley and agree we are very fortunate to have the opportunity to take a winter vacation like this! I think I need to check out that book you are reading as well.

Lexxiss hope the chicken dilemma worked out in your favour.

Here is to a "dry" weather related weekend for everyone!

BillBlueEyes
08-27-2011, 06:24 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan, CREDTI moi, until I let some late Friday afternoon tension lead me to some tree nuts - Ouch. Nuts do not cure tension. Nuts do not cure tension. What cures tension is hacking about with DW until 9pm last night making the new stove vent fit into a very tight space.

Should I disappear over the next few days, not to worry. We've always gotten electricity back within a day or so.

onebyone - Congrats that you're officially still here, 270's. Pickles and tomato sauce are such great homemade foods - lots of nutrition and low in calories. [DW and I might just head to Canada to get out of this storm - but really to have some of tomato sauce from local tomatoes, LOL.]

Beverlyjoy – Avoiding one FREE Hersey's Kiss from the doctor's office in a BIG boost to your resistance muscle - Kudos.

maryann - Kudos for tending to your annotations instead of boating and 4-wheeling.

Pam (pamatga) – Kudos for 2.25 miles by pedometer. Ouch for sodium showing up on the scale - even when clothes are feeling better.

SuperChick - Thanks for the supporting math. If you lived here now, I bet you'd be in Boston Harbor taming the expected waves.

Woodland – Thanks for "~ I don’t have to turn to food when stressed. That kind of 'help' is such an illusion and is so short lived" - just when I need it.

Tazzy - Big Kudos for following up a stellar restaurant event by avoiding chocolate chip ice cream.

puneri - Yay for oatmeal for breakfast. And Kudos for conquering IHOP without falling into their trap of putting pancake batter into everything.

Readers - chapter 4

Yes, You Do Deserve Credit

Some dieters struggle with the notion of praising themselves. They say, I don't deserve credit for eating slowly ... I should already have been doing that ... I shouldn't give myself credit for reading my Response Cards - that should be easy ... I should only give myself credit if I lose all of the weight I need to.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 67.

Lexxiss
08-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Hi Coaches!

I'm going to work my Beck skills to stay OP today. I've already buried the leftover cake in the compost. Better the worms eat it than me. I've had my morning coffee, enjoyed a green smoothie and am headed to the pool for mandatory (and enjoyable exercise). If I can work up the gusto to hop on my bike to get there I'll call that "spontaneous". *credit* for the willingness to keep trying.

DH has been in much better spirits. We sat down this morning to discuss plans for the next week. He wanted to wait several days to make a decision about travelling and finishing painting. I explained that it worked much better for me to have a plan mapped out. *credit* It looks like we'll travel early Wednesday morning and return Saturday before holiday traffic gets bad.

I've gotta get my ducks in a row here this morning.

Sending my thoughts to all who might be affected by Irene.

gardenerjoy
08-27-2011, 11:14 AM
I've been doing worse and worse on my eating until yesterday when I ate almost the way I used to on my worst days. I've been telling myself that it's because I'm having a hard time adjusting to more writing time in my life. But yesterday, I didn't write at all. I'd forgotten that about overeating -- it usually accompanies times when my productivity approaches zero.

onebyone's reading 4 Day Win is reminding me that I haven't been tending at all to the feed my soul aspect of this journey. I say I don't have time. But, it's obvious that what I really don't have time for are days like yesterday. So, today, I will make a little time for something that feeds something besides my mouth.

Those of you on the East Coast, stay safe!

maryann
08-27-2011, 12:03 PM
OP Yesterday. I have a new writing schedule. I have not been putting enough time into MFA. So I am counting hours (just like I count protein blocks, exercise minutes, etc...) I need 26 hours a week in addition to teaching, being mommy, Beck. It nontheless feels do-able.So much of life is just putting your time in.
gardenerjoy: Being in the red zone is not easy ( a few pounds from goal). Maintenance is hard work.
Lexxiss: Credit for explaining what you need. So often, that is all our loved ones want from us - rather than editing our needs before we even speak.
Pamatga: Credit for those pants fitting. In my morning meditation I say, "So that I may be reborn." I love that. Reborn into a totally new person.
BBE: Boo! tree nuts. Oh, I forgot. They are paying for Goddard. You and your wife seem like quite a team, stove pipe and all.
Beverleyjoy: Credit for being back and in the game.
tazzy: credit for acting yourself into the right feeling, rather than waiting for the right feeling before you act.
Cheers to everyone else:)

pamatga
08-27-2011, 02:13 PM
BBE Hope all is well there in the Boston area. When I called my son in Philly, I asked him if he was prepared. He said that he knew how to prepare for a storm and I didn't need to "remind" him. I told him that is what moms do. We "remind". Haven't they run out of tree nuts there in Boston yet? I would have thought the squirrels would be fighting you for those with fall coming soon. :D

maryann Great Job in staying OP. I so agree, so much of life is just "doing the foot work".

gardenerjoy: I had never heard of being so close to your goal weight as the "red zone"(maryann) but I guess since it has been such a long time for me I will find out someday. What do you feel is the most difficult part of maintenance??

I will say already I look forward to the day when I will only have to work out 3x a week instead of 6x but I "just do it" first thing in the morning (although I did stretch today) then it is done and I can get on with the rest of my day. It is like flossing. You know what the consequences are if you don't. :(

As everyone here knows by now, I have been determined that my food plan today will not be any different than when I am my goal weight. We'll see.

Lexxiss: I never realized that you were a caregiver before now. I see you have a special challenge in your life. Yes, it is easy to become victimized by the situation and I am glad that you realized that if you don't take good care of yourself, you will not have much to give to others. Good Job!

Beverleyjoy: Ditto on glad to see you posting again after a short respite. Always in our thoughts.:hug:

tazzy: Our actions begin in our thoughts. Fix the thoughts and the body responds. Seems so common sense but yet so hard to do at times.
Good Job!

Stats for Day 18(8/26):
**1665 calories 2926 mg sodium 31 g fiber [Note: I really wasn't all that hungry either yesterday!]
**only did Upper Body strength exercises: decided to split Upper and Lower Body and do one or the other on alternate days. I am finding it to be too tiring to do both and to walk on the treadmill, etc.
**walked .5 miles--quiet day. No walking on treadmill.
**F/V: 1 c NS orange juice, 2 c broccoli, beans, 1 c red grapes, 1/2 c black-eyed peas, 1 c cooked carrots

I did not intentionally undereat yesterday at all. This time I didn't feel the need to add more food when I wasn't actually hungry, which is what I did the other day. I just feel that it is my body correcting itself and I will trust the moment and not sweat. I have been praying for months that "I lose weight in a healthy manner." Healthy to me means that some days I will eat a lot of F/V and other days I will "forget" to eat fruit or vegetables. It will work itself out. Right now, I am craving some fresh fruit so DH is picking some up on the way home from a "job". Not surprising, the weight took a nosedive down and now I only have 3 lbs to go before I am back where I was on Monday. I think that will probably happen.

I've decided to split my upper and lower body strength exercises and alternate days. I am finding that if I do both I am too tired to do the second half as effectively as the first half. I want to make sure I really do each area equally well. I am also on the hunt to add more individual exercises so if any one knows of any really good lower body strength exercises or a book/dvd, I would appreciate the "nod". Moving forward, I am also splitting up my treadmill. I am just not comfortable going beyond 20 minutes at this time with the state of my knees (bone on bone). So, I am going to aim for 2 15 minute session: one in the a.m. and one in the p.m.

That's all for me today. Stay dry up North and take care all.:hug:

Beverlyjoy
08-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Hi Beckfolks/coaches… Yesterday was a healthy day… always grateful for that. It was my third day in a row to do some meditation - that’s a big credit for me. I seem to stay more focused when I have the willingness to put meditation in my day. My CD player and earplugs aren’t working. However, I found a couple of short meditations on YouTube. Who would have thought??

I planned/measure/ & logged. When I put it all into the food tracker at the end of the day, I had only eaten 800 calories. Then the dilemma - do I stay with what I had planned (apparently, not enough) or eat more. I decided to have some fruit and cheese. I need to plan more carefully. I also credit myself for :
Eating seated - almost all of the time
Leave a bite - yes
Fork down - tried to mentally count to ten after finishing chewing before the next bite. It really slows me down.
Slow mindful eating - working on this
TASTE the food - more than before
Beck book/Arc/rc - no
Water - lots
Stretches and strengthening - yes
Gave myself credit - I did. I am going to wear a pretty bracelet on my right wrist as a reminder.

I found my ARC and RC… now I just need to read them. It might do me well to redo them. Just a thought. The workbook has some response cards to use - I took a few apart and put them in my purse.

I hope all of you are safe from Hur. Irene. I keep thinking about all the weddings (and other festivities & gatherings) that had to be cancelled or changed. As you know.. I went through that years ago (a weather disaster during my wedding) and have a spot in my heart for any families facing a similar situation.

Puneri - many good credits and food planned.. Credit! Carry on.

Pamatga - curious to know.. What is BDS? I so totally understand how it feels to have been fighting ‘the battle’ for 45 years. Yes.. ‘food is not the problem’ often when dealing with weight. I am doing a ‘happy dance’ for you in celebration of your pants fitting just fine!
Also - yes, often we need to change up our food plans within it’s perimeter so make it comfortable and livable. That’ the point. To find a way to live with food in a healthy, sane and enjoyable manner.

Woodland - Hi.. Nice to see you… thanks for pointing out some inspirational thoughts of others.

t-azzy - Kudo’s for staying within your plan at the restaurant and NOT eating the ice cream. That’s major. Saying ‘oh well’ is awesome.

Billbe - darn those tree nuts. I hope that you and DW are safe, sound, and dry.

Lexxiss/Debbie - worms love cake!! Credit for getting rid of the cake. I am glad you have your travel plans set.

Gardener-joy - you said: So, today, I will make a little time for something that feeds something besides my mouth. That is a good reminder to yourself and to all of us. Thanks.

Maryann - you said: So much of life is just putting your time in. So often it does coming down for the willingness to organize and make time for everything necessary . Sigh.

Have a great day.

CeeJay
08-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Hello Beck Friends:

Yup I am still here. Just in deep lurker mode these days. I read your posts daily and send you good vibes through the air. Each of you continue to challenge and inspire me. It is very hard for me to post when I am not trying.

I have had a great summer- lots of outdoors time- and am leaving tomorrow for a week at a cottage. I am fortunate and so grateful.

My eating has been all over the place this summer- mostly in self-destruct mode. Happy to say that I have been on plan for 3 days now- eating healthy food and I am feeling so much better both physically and mentally. I have packed up a load of healthy food- fruit, veggies, yogourt, protein, whole grains and healthy snacks for the week. So I am ready. We will be on an island so the chances of running out for sugar/salt/fat is nil. ;)

Take care and I will check in when I'm back.

:grouphug:

Tazzy
08-28-2011, 12:15 AM
Hello Coaches & Buddies,

Well this has not been a good OP day for me. Started out well with breakfast and my Zumba class and then when I got home had a good lunch. Was pretty tired today and didn't take the time to plan properly. I'm sure I'm over on my calories but I did write down everything I ate, have not yet added up the calories though. I think it's that sabotaging thought that if I don't write it all down I didn't really eat it. I have not looked at my ARC and other RC cards until tonight and need to remind myself to get back on track. Ironically tomorrows topic of the day is discouragement. Rather timely I guess.

So onto a better day tomorrow and hope everyone in Hurricane Irene's path is safe!

onebyone
08-28-2011, 12:34 AM
Hi Coaches

This morning I weighed in *credit and saw a gain of 2.6lbs = 279.1:mad:
My own fault as I ate late and ate lots. Oh well oh well oh well oh well.

I ate funny today too--funny as in my timing for my meals was out of whack.

I didn't overeat, I just ate at weird times like very early and very late and munching here and there in between.I watched the televised funeral for a Camadian politician on tv today. It was a strange event that I find hard to analyze. This person's death just leaves a big questionmark on the political landscape here. I don't know. Guess I'm just quiet and contemplative today.
I'm sad that his voice is silenced and it just reminds me of all the people I have known who are no longer around who also had big strong voices and they too are silent. Life is very short.

Glad you guys are out there :)

BillBlueEyes
08-28-2011, 06:10 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was close to plan, CREDIT moi - specifically, I avoided the tree nuts. Exercise was going up and down stairs over and over. When paint finally hits a room, this house begins to look good.

onebyone - Thanks for the reminder, "Life is very short" - I need that when I need to accept that some things aren't going to go exactly as I had wanted.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Interesting that over eating occurs when something else is out of balance. Kudos for "I will make a little time for something that feeds something besides my mouth."

Beverlyjoy – Meditations on YouTube does seem like an oxymoron, LOL. Kudos for working so diligently on eating slowly - I find that one easy to forget. I actually thought of your wedding story when I read in the local papers of the cancellations of long planned weddings; made me chuckle just thinking about it.

CeeJay - An island is a great way to control food - gotta try that someday. Have a joyful trip.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for ducks aligned in a row. Kudos "for the willingness to keep trying."

maryann - LOL at "So much of life is just putting your time in" - although it's too real to be funny. [Yes, yes, the reason I eat walnuts is to contribute my share to support your Goddard adventure. Now I have justification for eating off plan.]

Pam (pamatga) – Splitting your treadmill time seems like a good idea. The last thing I read on that subject said that cardio in chunks as small as ten minutes is just as effective as one long time.

Tazzy - Yep, food doesn't fix tired - but it never ceases to stop whispering that it's the answer.

Readers - chapter 4

Janet told me that she gave herself credit but quickly negated it every time with the words yes and but. She would tell herself, Yes, it's good that I sat down to eat, but it shouldn't have been such a struggle, and Yes, I ate dinner sitting down, but I forgot and popped some carrots into my mouth as I was making the salad. Janet had the unrealistic expectation that she should be able to master all of the Success Skills overnight. She didn't realize that everyone struggles with them to varying degrees.

SuperChick
08-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Happy Sunday Morning Becksters! I hope everyone is enjoying a relaxing Sunday, perhaps with a pot of coffee and a nice OP breakfast. :coffee: No weigh-in this morning, but yesterday i was down another 2lbs! Bye bye salt / water weight! As i detoxed the past couple of days i’m sure it will change again tomorrow but if i stay OP I’m not bothered what it says – as Beck says, stick to the plan, and it will show. Eventually! My sanity and staying OP is more important.

So, I’m pretty proud of myself – i went out last night, and didn’t get too drunk (although i did have to deal with a drunk and rather entertaining BF, ha ha!) and when he wanted to go to the kebab shop, I didn’t have anything! I got a water! Then i came home, and had a banana :cb: i could totally see myself stood on the precipice and a late night burger / chips (fries!) would have pushed me over, probably into a day of off-plan eating today. I stood back from the edge. :D

On the dress front, despite trawling through the shops for 6 hours, i didn’t find anything! It was more that they was nothing in the shops then nothing fitted... i did however find something on the internet, which should come this week, so fingers crossed.

BBE – I hope you’re ok. Can i ask – with the tree nuts (are these walnuts?) do you allow yourself some daily as part of your plan?
Pam – you are doing so well. When i lost a lot of weight the first time, seeing myself as a ‘thin’ person and the changes in other peoples perceptions of you when you lose a lot of weight was one of the hardest things i had to deal with – no one in the eating plans prepares you for your own and other peoples reactions. I’ve learnt from that, so this time, it won’t throw me off! P.S. I i could find a dress that made me look like i’d lost 25lbs, I’d buy two. Then tell you all where to buy them from :D
Beverlyjoy – congrats on leaving a bite behind, and its weird how more water helps you lose water!
Maryann – credit on strengthening your resistance muscle :strong: and (shudder) for step class! Definitely not one of my favourites!
Onebyone – thanks for sharing that – it’s good to know other peoples scale experiences!

Right i’m going to go and potter around the house and have a chilled Sunday (it’s raining here, :p) i wish you all the same :hug:

Beverlyjoy
08-28-2011, 10:32 AM
. Hi Beck folks - yesterday was OP until bedtime. I had been using my bag of resistance techniques all day.. feeling stress.... They were working until about 10 pm. I felt anxious about wanting more food. I gave into it and had some cereal and toast. It's not the worst thing... however, it's what we/I all try to avoid. But, I will carry on today.

Yesterday Dh and I took lunch over to my mom's. Afterward, Mom brought out to boxes of cookies: Oreo's and Sugar Cookies. I didn't take a bite. CREDIT!! I am not letting eating extra in the evening diminish all the credits during the day.

Today - I have had my healthy breakfast to start the day.

Later today I am going to visit my stepmom. (my wonderful other mother) I asked her to refrain from getting the usual 'special goodies' she usually buys when we visit. It's because she knows I love certain pastries from the local bakery. She said she wouldn't. However, If she knows I am watching my food... she watches like a hawk and it drive's me crazy. But, it's a trade off I guess for not having my favorite childhood goodies facing me.

I am using my exchange food plan. I will add a few extra exchanges, if I need them.

I hope everyone is OK on the East Coast. So far - our friends and family are doing well. I am so grateful that Irene downgraded to Category 1 when it hit the land. Today, Massachusettes will get it's turn. Sending good thoughts to Billbe and my sister, who's on Cape Cod.

I will try to get back for personals. There's a computer where I am going, so I hope to check in.

onebyone
08-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Hi coaches
*credit for weighing in and seeing +0.9=280.
Again with the 280.
I'm super-puffy this morning and we have what I think will be a very active walking day around the Exhibition. There are minihorse exhibitions on the grounds as well as a strongman and a human cannonball act. There's much more but that's what I'd like to see.

Happy to see on cnn that hurricane irene isn't wrecking everything. The flooding and the rain and all that looks to be less than they had feared and that's good.

Okay, better go. We're off to DH's brother's place an then we are off to the Ex. Bye for now.

maryann
08-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Good Morning Coaches:
Yesterday I did everything I promised myself. I wrote 13 pages of my murder mystery - about 5 hours:( I ate OP, I exercised twice to catch up on my monthly minutes. I actually enjoyed the day. I did think about the boys in Tahoe having so much fun but I enjoyed being by myself. The truth about giving up food addiction is I have to learn to see who I really am - not who I can pretend to be when I am hopped up on sugar highs and excess. Who I really am is a quite gal who often enjoys being alone. That is just the bottom line. That has never been enough for me but I think it is beginning to feel OK. Having said that, I am off this afternoon to see my college body for lunch. I have a few close friends I have had for 30 years and I am grateful for them. I plan to have one trip at the salad buffet - no frozen yogurt. It isn't worth it to have a little bit of sugar and have the scale jump a pound. That is what always happens and it isn't worth it for me today.
Beverleyjoy: The hairs on the back of my neck stood up when you described your step mother watching you like a hawk. I am from a thin family and I realize I have built up years of resentments from my father watching what I ate. Part of my morning meditation is "Teach me to forgive myself and others." Credit for doing what you could do and let people be people.
BBE: Glad the house looks nice painted. It feels great to put in effort and have concrete results.
Pamatga: Congrats on your 1600 calorie day. I learn during ski season (when I would eat extra because of alledged calories burned) that I really don't need extra anything. That is just my mind talking. The truth is I am not an Olympic athlete and CAN"T work out that hard.
Superchick: So many credits for restraint. The problem with restraint is you can be proud of yourself but still miss all that sugar high had you eaten. I have had to let go of the sugar high and focus on other sensory feelings. Tough. Taste has been my main go to.
Tazzy: Weekends are tough. It takes a lot of practice to get through them unscathed.
onebyone: enjoy the mini horses.

pamatga
08-28-2011, 10:48 PM
GD everyone! I am sure that most of you are onto other things by now but I got caught up in a whirlwind of activity today and this is the first time I've been able to sit down and relax.

Glad to hear that Irene was more bark than bite. Bill, now that you have yours painted, how about coming down here and finish painting my work out room? I ran out of paint, stopped, got the paint about three months later and I still haven't finished it. I absolutely HATE something hanging over my head. Just HATE it!:mad: Obviously, not enough to get this done....I just got distracted with some other things and I haven't returned to it; but I must!

I actually read that breaking up your workouts into bits is better than going like gangbusters for an hour and sitting on your butt the rest of the day. So, having read that somewhere [probably the Internet;)] I have made a special point of getting up and moving around every hour on the hour. I will even take one empty toilet paper roll from the bathroom all the way to the garbage can just to make up a "reason" to get off my duff.

Well, master gardener, Daniel, sent us all community gardeners an e-mail nagging us to clean out our summer gardens and the planting schedule for some winter vegetables (none of which I personally am going to plant). He did mention that because of the excessive heat our green tomatoes had ceased to begin to lighten up. He explained the chemical process which I thought was neat. It is just the opposite (I guess) of corn and wheat, which need the pumped up heat to grow. Anyway, after nearly 3 solid months of 90+ degrees every day, it is finally dropping down into the upper 80s and the uppers 60s at night and things are correcting themselves with the tomatoes. The short of this is all us gardeners are ignoring Daniel and we are hanging in with our tomatoes. I picked three to bring home.

We worked up a good sweat clearing out the Swiss chard, transplanting my strawberry plants (to put on our front porch) and then turning over the soil, adding new organic soil and compost. My dear sweet Paul complained the whole time. I told him to think of it as "walking his 3 miles with his arms". :o Yes, that was his expression. Oh! I didn't think of it that way. He was quiet afterwards. That and I promised him a McDonald's chocolate shake. By that time, he was quiet, demur and purring like a kitten. I know how to make this man "happy".;)

Superchick When you find that "Golden Dress", we want details; address, and such.

maryann I love time spent alone. I have never thought it was "weird". I have so many solitary pastimes that I take pleasure in, I lose track of time and just enjoy myself. I could sit on my loveseat facing the woods and see the birds for hours. Well, okay, I am "weird", but "in a nice way".:dizzy: I hope your mystery is a best seller. I always wanted to write one mystery novel in my lifetime in memory of my Mom. She was a voracious reader, reading as many as three books a week, and she loved mysteries. When she had her massive stroke, she lost the ability to read. I often thought that was one of the cruelest things God could have done but it was also kind of sweet to see her "pretend" she could read and make words up. She was one of the most "proud" people I have even known. We just went along with her. What the heck!

To everyone here; tazzy, gardenerjoy, superchick, beverlyjoy,onebyone, if you post here even when you are having a not so OP day, you get credit in the Beck corner of the world!! Big Credit!! We leave perfectionism at the door when we come through this threshold.

BDS means "Beck Diet Solution"; whomever asked.

Stats for Day 19 (8/27):

**2655 calories 1654 mg sodium 36 grams of fiber
**walked 1.5 miles (used pedometer for accuracy)
**walked 15 minutes on treadmill
***did Lower Body strength exercises.
**F/V:1 c watermelon, 1/2 c strawberries, 1 c cantalope, 1 small banana, 1 c brussel sprouts, 1 c cooked carrots
**NOTE: from now, splitting Upper and Lower Body strength exercises to alternate days since I have been increasing the time I have been "moving" and walking on the treadmill. I decided to do this so I would be equally effective at both upper and lower body. Doing them on the same day along with the aerobic activity has left me feeling very tired and I felt like one part of the body exercises were suffering.

***I am also sharing what I wrote on my response cards with the others in the Buddy Challenge. As you may remember, I have about 30+ cards and the end of our Challenge over at BLC is October 8th so I have decided that I will try to pepper my posts with words from Dr. Beck as my "paying it forward".

This Challenge is "Ps":1. POST DAILY. 2. PLAN MEALS AND EXERCISE. 3. PREPARE. 4. PUSH YOURSELF. 5. BE POSITIVE. 6. BE PROUD. 7. PAY IT FORWARD. 8. NEW ONE -- WEIGH IN. (well okay that is the only one that isn't a P).

Also, to reinforce what is the "nuts and bolts" of the Biggest Loser way, we do post the oz of H20 we drink, whether we were non-sugar that day or not, our Fruits/Vegetables, how much we exercised and "where we are at". AFter going nearly two months without a whisper of sugar, I have decided that I will "allow" a minimal amount within my food plan. Sometimes, that may mean 1 tsp of sugar on my grapefruit or in my iced tea. I don't drink as much water as I know I "should" but I chew 3-4 glasses of ice each day and I have recently discovered Coke Zero Cherry, which I am having a mad, passionate "thing" with right now.:o It is my "evil monkey".

So, there you are. Hope to hear from everyone tomorrow.

Tazzy
08-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Hi Everyone,

Trying this again, I wrote out a long note and my computer ate it. But I guess that's better than me eating it!

Had a much better day today and am back OP. Started with riding my bike to return a book to the library (35 minute ride) and stayed outside for most of the day. Did about 1 hour's worth of gardening and then my DH and I decided to pressure-wash the house. It was like taking a 25' tall car to the carwash. Only problem is that I'm a little too short to get all the way to the top so after working on it for a couple of hours my DH finished the last wall and the top 5' all the way around the house. It looks so much better, at least 3 shades lighter than when we started. It was a great day for it (25C) and the mist from the wand felt pretty nice at times.

We had a great dinner. I barbecued a top sirloin roast and did some grilled veggies. All the veggies were fresh from the garden, potatoes, carrots, green onions, green & yellow beans. I mixed some minced garlic with olive oil and tossed it all together and put it in a grilling basket. Yummy :) Some of the leftovers will make a nice lunch tomorrow!

Time to get out my ARC cards and others for the second time today and get started on my planning for tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a good weekend and see you tomorrow!

gardenerjoy
08-29-2011, 02:31 AM
Glad that Boston and other places weren't as trounced by Irene as they might have been. And sending supportive thoughts to the many on the East Coast who were affected.

pamatga asked about what it's like to be in maintenance. I was at my goal weight for about two seconds. So, I think I don't know the answer to that question yet. But I'll get there. I guess one thing that I learned is that it's difficult if you say "yay! I'm done!" and go immediately into whatever is next. I'm unwilling to back off from my new writing habits but they have twisted me away from some of my healthy eating habits. It's going to take some time to figure out how to do both at the same time. But I refuse to believe it's impossible. I just haven't pulled the right things from my bag of tricks, yet. They're in there somewhere.

BillBlueEyes
08-29-2011, 05:33 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - We survived Hurricane Irene with minimum impact. Basement remained dry. Although we have power, our street is blocked off because of a downed power line and tree branch. Gotta scoot - think I'll haul our trash around the corner since the garbage truck and the recycle truck won't be able to get to us.

onebyone - I've never seen a human cannonball. Nor is it a job I've ever thought of applying for. Hope you get some good walking.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Sending supportive thoughts as you continue to juggle writing with daily living.

Beverlyjoy – Ouch for the stress, but Kudos for using your resistance techniques. Hope your sister did well on Cape Cod.

maryann - Yay for using your alone time well. DS gets double pleasure since he gets to tell you all about his adventures with his dad.

Pam (pamatga) – Yay for outwitting the dry spell and harvesting tomatoes. I know about the pain of something hanging over your head - BTDT.

SuperChick - Great story. Kudos for "I stood back from the edge." [Yep, I have a counted number of walnuts with my breakfast cereal and a counted number of pecans with my peanut butter sandwich at lunch - so digging into DW's trail mix isn't my body calling for nutrients.]

Tazzy - Ouch for computers eating a post. I've done that often enough that I periodically copy my post into a Word document. And pretty often I need to go get it. Kudos for that house washing - sounds like a big job. Did you rent a pressure washer?

Readers - chapter 4

I asked Janet if she expected her 7 year-old to read flawlessly in first grade. I had her reflect on what would have happened to his motivation if he had negated his efforts time he read a page well and criticized himself every time he stumbled. Janet then realized that the perfectionist standards she held for herself were counterproductive, and she began to feel good about her small daily accomplishments.

Lexxiss
08-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Hi Coaches!

I'm feeling the crunch of not having enough time to fit everything in. Today is my last official teaching day for the yoga class, although students would still like to meet on Labor Day. I didn't think about how much time it would take when I made this commitment but only what a great experience it would be for me. *credit* I figure I've spent 20 hours a week studying and planning. Fortunately, I've started a journal of each class so when I'm asked again it should be a bit simpler.

My food sanity has been on the edge for the past few days but I haven't taken a big jump off the proverbial diving board into 100% unrestrained eating just yet. Fortunately, my green smoothie every morning seems to be the anchor for my healthy food plan and I haven't missed one yet. My Beck tools are always right there with me, too, reminding me of my options.
Weekend credits:
~lots of exercise helping a friend's DD move.
~didn't have one soda during the all day move, because none were sugar free.
~made the only sane choice at our after move dinner out; ordering a side of beans, rice and tortillas, no cheese.
~vigilance keeping my home "environment" sane, by keeping up with my organization and cleaning.
~planning and writing down my meals for today.

Perhaps I'll get back later today for personals....I hope so.

SuperChick
08-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Morning Guys, pretty busy here so I’ll try to keep it short. Weigh in this morning: -2.4lb overall despite a poor start to my week and some off plan eating. Pleased :D

Credits: gym this morning before work, planned meals for the day, read ARC, weighed in, checked in, trying to keep a positive mental attitude

Debbie – credit for the good planning and sane eating
BBE – I was more wondering if you were denying yourself them thus leading them to be your off-plan snack of choice. Glad to hear you’re safe.
Pam – sounds like you’ve been busy! Credit for walking 3 miles with your arms, and yes I think if you do some bits of exercise throughout the day it keeps your metabolism more revved up than if you do all at once then nothing.
Maryann – credit for ‘enjoying your day’ – isn’t that what it’s all about?

Have a good day all!

Beverlyjoy
08-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Hi Beckies.... a quick note. Yesterday I stayed within the perimeter of my plan. I am so grateful. Having a good visit with DSM. Today are going out to lunch and dinner. I am going to check to see any online menus. This will be challenging.

I drank all my water yesterday... along with stretches & strengthening, writing down food, left a bite, no seconds, & tried to eat slower. I brought my journal and cards.

I listened to some of my weight loss meditation cd's on the way to my stepmom's. However, I didn't listen to the part where they try to relax you. I skipped that part because I was driving. LOL

Hoping for a great day. You too!

Sending out prayers for folks devastated or effected by Irene. My heart breaks when I watch the news.

onebyone
08-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Hello Coaches

*credit for weighing in . I made sure to get all my water in yesterday and the scale started it's journey downwards once more. This morning -1.8lbs=278.2

PHEW.

I want to see that 276 again at the end of this week. Or less. :yes:

*credit for walking 4+ hrs yesterday at the Ex. My calves were aching last night and still are this morning. My sandal broke in the car on the way home. It was worn out too. ;)

Today I am beginning the exercises in the 4 day win book. My goal is to do all the exercises in this book and that means ... hmm, let me count: 34.
34 exercises x 4 days for each one = 136 days.
136 days approximately= 4.5 months
4.5months/136 days from now = January 11th exactly if I start today.
update: EXERCISE#1 - 1/4 DONE

Doing the exercises isn't as straightforward as it should be, which is a flaw of this book. I don't know if I can do 2 of the exercises for one stretch of 4 days. I wouldn't think you would, but she encourages the reader to go to the "Jump Start" section (reading the first 10 chapters plus two at the end of the book) and this part has exercises and then these exercises are repeated if you read the book from the first chapter and just follow it forward. She also says to do the exercises that mean the most to you, and then in the forward she encourages you to do all the exercises. So, since I have a foodplan I want to follow, I will follow her plan for the Jump Start and do the exercises as they arise there first. I'll get through all the exercises this way or that so it really doesn't matter. I just want to make a clear plan. So, I guess that's my goal for the day: to create a plan to follow based on my food plan and this 4 Day Win book.

Either way, this is perfect timing for me as I start my residency in Key West on February 1st, right after I would be completing this book's programs. What a great project to focus on until then. I like structures and *credit moi for choosing my own plan this time.

Wow. Time's moving fast today. Better go. Have a good Monday coaches.

PS Attached are interesting images from the exhibition yesterday:

-Mini horse costume competition (who knew) this is flower + bee
-A perfect mini horse
-some butter sculpture competition entries (I'd love to be a butter sculptor!)
-a hairless cat from the cat show (he was soft and really really warm. I got to pat him but only after I put Purell on my hands... delicate thing. LOVE his expressive face!)
-the human canonball signage and his canon. Alas, we chose to see the Strongman and then got there only to not be able to see the strongman due to the really big crowd around him. By then we had missed the Human Cannonball's show. O well :(

Tazzy
08-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi Coaches & Buddies,

I'm having a good day today, have weighed (stayed the same), read my ARC and other cards, am on my 5th huge glass of water and eaten to normal fullness. I didn't have any planned exercise for the day but will get some spontaneous as DH came and took the car home as he's not feeling well so I'll have to walk to the train now. Not a long walk, about 8 minutes but it will feel good. Weather is great too which can unfortunately make for a hot train ride home. Maybe I'll get out on my bike tonight as we have rain in the forecast for the next couple of days.

BBE My sister owns a pressure-washer so I borrowed it to do the house. Was tempted to continue with the vehicles but decided not too. My arms are feeling a little heavy today and I'm sure it's from holding that wand over my head for so long.

Beverleyjoy Credit for passing on the cookies.

Maryann You are right, weekends are tough. Sunday was better than Saturday and I think that day was bad because I was tired more than anything.

Lexxiss Good job on helping with moving and all your great choices with food and beverages! I hate the limited amount of diet sodas you can get in some places. There's always diet coke but when you don't like colas it's not a great choice. I find water seems to be the best choice for me!

onebyone Credit for all your walking at the Ex. We had those sames acts here in Calgary for the Stampede, I however stay far away from the grounds during those 10 days. I'm not a fan of rodeos, midways or crowds and that's pretty much whats there.

Happy Monday everyone!

maryann
08-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Good Evening Coaches,

OP until after exercise. I am doubling up on mins to make my monthly goal and I was starving when I came home. I tried to make peanut butter work but I over did it. Compensated at dinner but I am still left with a BLICKY feeling. OH Well. Credit for stopping. few things are perfect.

Best to all.

pamatga
08-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Good evening all. Today has been a whirlwind of activities so I didn't get to sit down at my computer until just an hour ago and I made roll call for the Buddy Challenge for the day. In fact, I told myself I wouldn't get on the computer until I had walked on the treadmill twice. After this I am going to do my lower body strength exercises. It's nearly 11 p.m. but as long as it gets done before midnight it counts as today in my book.

Well, I am at a real fork in the road for me but I know it is for my own good. I have felt from different people the "pressure" of deciding what it is I want "to do with my life" so they can "help me". I feel like I am being difficult but after meeting with yet another career counselor, I really said all the things I didn't want to do. It felt like an impasse and I did expect some resistance but, clever woman that she is, she did start brainstorming "outside the box" and I am sorry but that strategy so wins me over. I pouted for about 15 minutes (in why do I have to figure this out???) then I said, "Okay, I am going to have to buckle down and get working on this sadly neglected area of my life." Question of the day: What do I want to be when I grow up? (I am so embarassed about this too)

P.S. In the student lounge area there was a plate of freshly baked cookies with a sign that said "1 cookie per student please". I said aloud (several others in the room acting busy including DH) "I was a student here last winter" and I took one.:o As soon as I did, so did everyone else. If they didn't have security cameras in every blasted corner of the place, I would have taken two.:D I also said that aloud. I told DH, pour yourself some coffee, it's free too. :p. I was in a very saucy mood, as you can tell.;)

Then, we dropped off some clothes at the AKF then proceeded on with other tasks to tick off including going out to eat. Considering that we have nearly eaten out every other day last week and this is the start of a new week, I am not sure what to say about that except "sodium resides here".:( Still, I came home, exhausted from all of the sitting in heavy traffic (how does my DH do this everyday?) and once I did my nightly rosary, jumped onto the treadmill, in spite of deep tissue fatigue. [saying that for dramatic emphasis;)]

Well, last week I think I had two days under my calorie range. :( and, several over....seems to me my "aforementioned" plan is not exactly working out like I had originally intended. "Oh well". My struggle is not working out. I feel like a possessed demon regarding that.:devil: My struggle is loving restaurant foods that are loaded with sodium :stress:(we ate Chinese yesterday so MSG I am sure---OY!---- first time though in 2 1/2 months) :frypan: So the secret password is "sodium. Time to start drinking water like a camel ready to cross the proverbial desert. :hyper:

Okay, enough of the smilies. :D

tazzy sounds like a great job for working the upper body and you got a clean house to boot.

BBE Advice please? I have been very tired from all of this extra activity. I figured that I was eating enough calories including protein that I didn't need something extra but now I am rethinking that. Without spending a ton of money on gross tasting canned powdery stuff, is there anything out there that is palatable, reasonably priced and not heavy with additives, preservatives, laxatives (checking to see if you read everything :D ) or lots of calories. TY ahead of time.

Beverleyjoy You did better than me but guess what? I just recently discovered that my pedometer also keeps track of calories burned. I calculated the chocolate chip cookie (melted chips---mmmm)which I shared with DH was around 177 calories. I did more than that according to my pedometer so does this mean I really did burn that cookie off? Anyone's thoughts on this???

Maryann I used to feel that way about weekends until I became unemployed and then every day is the same. I think it has to do with less structure on the weekends. Could you put some external structure on the weekends to mimic the week days?

Lexxiss Would your favorite beverage travel well with you?

onebyone If you can invest in a pedometer (I got mine at REI -Omron $35 U.S.--but they have good ones all over). You might be surprised at how much walking you are doing. Mine separates the aerobic steps from the "getting up off the couch" kind. Your pictures are neat! Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you had a great time.

Stats for Day 20(8/28):

**2059 calories 19 grams fiber 1972 mg sodium (although an estimate since I ate at CB yesterday)
**did Upper Body strength exercises with hand weights
**walked 2.0 miles (used pedometer for accuracy)
**walked 10 min on treadmill late at night
**worked up a sweat cleaning summer garden and turning over soil for winter garden 30 minutes
**F/V: watermelon, cantalope, banana, green peppers, onions, carrots, string beans, broccoli

SuperChick
08-30-2011, 06:52 AM
Morning Becksters! A happy sunny morning here, got to surf before work so I’m a happy bunny :D

Weigh-in: -0.2lb
Credits: weigh-in, checked-in, planned meals for the day, OP yesterday, planned exercise done, trying to keep a positive mental attitude :goodvibes

Going out to a restaurant tonight where there could be the opportunity to go off-plan. I’m going to be super vigilant and order a massive green salad so that I can fill up on that and not too much yummy tapas!

Pam – I envy people that know what they want to do for a living! As I was sitting in the sea this morning, I was thinking about how I did not want to spend the day sat in an office, and wondered what it would be like to be a baker! (I secretly want to own a café… :) )
Tazzy – sound like a nice sane day of eating, credit :)
Onebyone - :woohoo: for the downward movement

:wave: to everyone else that's lurking / reading

BillBlueEyes
08-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - We continue to have minimal impact from Hurricane Irene - except for the downed power line across our street which is on the end of the list to repair since it only affects one house which, itself, isn't without power since the line remains hot. Oh Well.

Did just OK at an Italian Restaurant last night - CREDIT moi for not using the whole basket of Italian bread to sop up the juice from Prince Edward Island muscles. And CREDIT moi for bringing home half my entree as well as ignoring all offers of beyond-wonderful Italian pastries and gelato. A bunch of walking to get there and back.

onebyone - Welcome back 270's; "PHEW" is right. Yep, Kudos "for choosing my own plan this time." I can imagine happily living the rest of my life without seeing a hairless cat, LOL.

Beverlyjoy – LOL at the CD's for relaxing while driving. Hope two restaurant meals with your DSM work out.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for "keeping up with my organization and cleaning" - sometimes it's just the little stuff that's enough to keep us on track.

maryann - Ouch for a "BLICKY feeling" - which is clear to me what you're feeling even though I've not seen the word before. I really need the reminder, "few things are perfect" right now as we start looking closely at different work being done.

Pam (pamatga) – Ouch for having to face - one more time - the classic "What do I want to be when I grow up?" Seems it would have been fair for us to have been told as kids that we'd face that every few years so it wouldn't seem such a surprise. It might be easier to answer, "What do I want to be for the next five years until I make this decision again." [Not sure what to eat to combat fatigue - only thing I know to combat fatigue is sleep. I do use a protein shake before each gym session - but that's for extra protein to help muscles. It's only 40 cents (whey protein powder in 5 pound jars) plus 15 cents for eight ounces of skim milk.]

SuperChick - Congrats on that kilo gone - you should be pleased.

Tazzy - Yay for spontaneous exercise after being abandoned by your DH. I can imagine your arms are tired after power washing for so long.

Readers - chapter 4

If you have trouble giving yourself credit, create the following Response Card:I really do deserve credit for breaking old habits,
and it is essential for building my confidence. Once
my confidence grows, everything will become so much
easier.

Michi702
08-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Hi everyone :) I'm on day 3 of Beck today but I have to leave for work in a bit so I only got the chance to gloss over today's concept of eating while seated. I read my ARC three times yesterday and I'm about to read it again for the first time today. I am stressed out about having to go into work because I don't really like my job that much and it is very physical so I come home all achy and sore but I am just trying to grin and bear it as well as possible.

I'll have an update for you when I get home later today!

Lexxiss
08-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Hi Coaches!

An OK day yesterday...could have been better, could have been worse. I'm still tired, yet trying to move forward. I've started a project which needs completion. It's a repair job (sewing) on an old sock monkey which belongs to the son of our friend who was paralyzed in February. The son and partner are having a baby in September and the monkey needs to return to Alaska. It sounds like a small job, but it's very detailed work and my eyes aren't too great and neither are my sewing skills. I know that crossing things off my life list improve my eating skills so I will "persist to victory". Exercise first then off to the sewing store.

:welcome2: Michi702! You will find great support right here as you step into the Beck plan. Best wishes!

onebyone
08-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Hi Coaches

*credit for weighing in at -0.7lbs = 277.5lbs today
update: EXERCISE#1 - 2/4 DONE

Well, this is the last day of my semi-vacation. I took two days completely off, and have had semi-days off the last three, (including today). I am going to start planning my return to the ceramic studio. I haven't been making things out of clay all summer. I had to switch to my painter self for my shows but that's all behind me for a few months - unless I get the urge then I ahve no choice but to paint.

My next events will be two studio tours, one in my town and one in the town north of me. I am also doing an event in November to support the Stephen Lewis foundation for the grandmother movement in Africa. I need 2 or 3 pieces of artwork for the show. I'm committing to bringing a framed print and two ceramic objects.

So, it's this kind of work, this kind of schedule that has piushed me offplan in the past. This time, I want to stay on plan as much as I can, one day at a time. I want to work through that 4 day win book, and I want to see my weight drop and my health and stamina rise. From September to December will be a busy time for me so I need to stay focused on my food.

Better go. I want to complete my second day of my 1st 4 Day Win exercise and get on with my day. Bye for now:wave:

Tazzy
08-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

Not a good start to my day, got on the scale and up 2.2. Wish I could figure out why. I did pretty well last night until after dinner. Decided to have my version of a banana split with a banana, cool whip, some graham cracker crumbs and a few chocolate chips. If I had stayed with the few measured chocolate chips it would have been fine but twice I filled a small container (about 1/4 cup) and ate them. And at no time did I even consider getting out my ARC and other cards to read. I also measured how much water my new glass at work holds and it's 18 oz. I had 5 yesterday at my desk, 90 oz, hopefully that's some of the weight gain.

So I need to re-focus today and not let that number on the scale rattle me. I know it's for information only. How many of you weigh every day like BDS suggests? I used to weigh every couple of days, was okay with everyday as long as there wasn't a big jump.

I've got my food planned for the day and Zumba again tonight. (I was mistaken thinking last Tues was the last night of hot Zumba, should be better today as our forecast is for 14C and rain all day.)

Hope everyone has a good OP Tuesday!

pamatga
08-30-2011, 02:56 PM
:welcome2: michi702 we are so glad that YOU decided to join us.

onebyone Great Job of digging in your heels and not allowing all this whirlwind of productivity throw you off course :stars: with your food plan. :congrat: on the weight lose. :cloud9: is where I would expect to find you right about now.:D

Bill Thanks for the tip. Well, I certainly don't need any protein powder if that is all it is for is building muscle. I am one of the few females who has just the right mix of hormones where I actually have to be careful about some muscle groups getting too big; especially my upper arms. Ex: I only do the biceps curl once a week because I have noticeably large biceps. Also, I am working on my shoulders (my weakest upper body muscle group) so that they "catch up" to my upper arms. I am pleased to say that my triceps are finally catching up. I have loved doing weights since the early 80s. I am sleeping 8 hours a night and I am taking my vitamins so I will just ride this out. It could be the extra push I am giving myself because of the "Buddy Challenge". I am trying to sit on my hands about the competitiveness (keeping that monster :fr: in ME under lock and key) this really brings out over there (trademark of that site). It is .6% BMI lost between myself and one other person. Sodium is the only thing standing in my way of passing her and (subsequent eating of my dust-see what I mean?) However, I have already eaten two restaurant meals in the past 24 hours. OY!!:?:

Lexxiss y'know right now monkeys are all the "thing" on kids clothes. I have bought some of them for my great niece, Sadie, and soon-to-be great nephew, Jude. Just too cute for words! I too am doing some hand sewing and I ended up spending part of an evening making the attached lining longer than the sheath dress I was hemming! :dizzy: All that work and I had to start over again. The only good thing I can say about that is you can't eat anything when you are hand sewing! (not unless you are an octopus, have we any in here?)

tazzy that does sound quite yummy. I always think about doing interesting desserts with bananas but they are popped into my mouth before I ever get a chance. I have heard peanut butter goes well with bananas but I have never tried that either. If you get the dark chocolate chips you are getting some benefit of antioxidants. (trying to help a little here:^:) I have noticed that with this fatigue that I have been experiencing in the past couple of weeks, thoughts :devil: of sweets seems to be surfacing more often. Hmmmm??? Energy depletion?? I'm not sure.

Stats for Day 21(8/29):

**2123 calories 23 g of fiber 3399 mg sodium
**walked 2.0 miles (used pedometer for accuracy)
**did Lower Body strength exercises
**walked on treadmill 2-10 minutes sessions.
**F/V: melon, banana, beans, sweet potatoes, corn on the cob

Off to do Richard Simmons "Sweatin to the Oldies" "Blast from the Past" dvd. He makes me laugh. I need that.

Pam

Tazzy
08-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Pamatga - bananas and peanut butter are really good together. I often have oatmeal for breakfast and will cut up my banana and add a tablespoon of peanut butter and mix it all up. Peanut butter is also really good with apples, celery and spread on graham wafers (which I tried for the first time last week). The graham wafer snack is my DH new favorite so I can see me buying a lot more of the crackers than I have in the past.

I love the Richard Simmons work out videos. Forgot how entertaining the music can be on them.

Beverlyjoy
08-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Hi beckies, coaches... I just got home. I think I did pretty well this trip... I am grateful. I used my exchanges and did a little bit of finagling with them because I didn't have total control. (ie... a small bit of ice cream equals a fruit and dairy exchange.) I think it worked OK. I wasn't fretting about it all... which is good.

I read my RC cards, wrote things down that I ate, journaled my Beck tasks to check off later, left a bite, tried to remember to eat a bit slower and really tried to remember to enjoy the food. Also, I did my stretches and strengthening each day.

I will check in tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing well.

Lexxiss
08-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Hi Coaches!

I really wanted to catch up with everyone! It's been a long , busy and hectic week for me. I read every day, but just "reread". You all share so much insight! *credit* to all.
Food on track today. I've finished the monkey project, taken DH to neuro. and dentist. Whew!
Credits:
~I passed on Chinese buffet while DH was at the dentist.
~I went to exercise...wanted to ditch to finish the sewing project
~ I made a legitimate change to dinner. I needed some me time to catch up here, so I grabbed something at the store that would make life easier. *credit* for really thinking it through. We're having hash browns, fried eggs, and whole grain rye toast. What sounded "good" was frozen lasagna and garlic bread. :fr: It will be easy, I can watch Jeopardy AND get organized for our 5am departure. Thanks for being here everyone.

BillBlueEyes, hey "just ok" at the Italian Restaurant….it sounded way better than that; ignoring dessert, bringing half an entrée home AND not using the whole basket of bread! Credit!

SuperChick, great that you are using your Beck skills to go with the flow as you've had some ups and downs with weigh ins. I hope your restaurant visit was a success!

Tazzy, a belated congrats for seeing your lowest weight in two years!

onebyone, right on for getting that exercise done ! I think that recognizing what kind of schedule pushes you off plan is a great start! I identified travel days as nosedive days several months ago. Since then I've come up with a better plan for them and it's helped.

Pam(atga), I sewed by hand and finished it! Yay! I just want to say I'm so impressed with your progress with walking. It took a lot of dedication to get where you are now!

maryann, "credit for stopping" says a lot!

Beverlyjoy, I wanted to ditto onebyone's comment about how nice it is when you're here regularly! I'm glad you're doing better and really moving forward with your Beck skills. PS I thought of you when pitching that chocolate cake to the worms.

gardenerjoy, CeeJay, Alana(inCanada) :wave:

Jeopardy starts right now! credit for making time for things I like...even if it is Kids Week.

gardenerjoy
08-30-2011, 09:05 PM
I started reading a new book today – A Course in Weight Loss by Marianne Williamson. I bought it cheap at Borders going out of business sale. I’ve been looking for quite some time for a book that would give a spiritual underpinning to my journey, but I’m horribly picky about it – a Goldilocks problem that one book is too spiritual and the next isn’t enough. This one I can tell is going to err on the too spiritual side, but, since I haven’t found the “just right” book, maybe I can use this as a starting point and tone down the parts that I find grating or otherwise difficult for me.

Pamatga: I think people who ask themselves “what do I want to be when I grow up?” regularly and at every age are creative, engaged, and pragmatic. Not a thing to be embarrassed about! I have a book recommendation: I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was by Barbara Sher. If you read that and decide you are a “scanner,” someone who is wired to explore lots of different things rather than dive deeply into one, you’ll want to read her follow-up book: Refuse to Choose!

BillBlueEyes: glad that Hurricane Irene spared Boston for the most part.

Welcome, Michi702!

Tazzy: I weigh every day when things are going well and not when they aren't. Heh. I'm going to aim for every day in September.

Greetings to all and sundry!

SuperChick
08-31-2011, 05:27 AM
Morning! A quick one this morning – on OP day yesterday, including a meal out at a restaurant where there was no drama… I ordered good options and didn’t overeat… seems so strange for it to be so straightforward!

Weigh-in: +0.6lb (no doubt from the additional salt / oil in the restaurant food, no big deal)
Credits: bike to work, read Arc, quick weights session before work, weigh-in, checked-in, trying to keep up the PMA!

I may have to check back later for personals as I have a meeting all morning… hope you’re all well :wave:

BillBlueEyes
08-31-2011, 06:29 AM
:welcome: Michi702 :welcome:

And, even though you've been around for nine months, :wel3fc:

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find your way to this Beck thread on 3 Fat Chicks?

BillBlueEyes
08-31-2011, 06:49 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was a high tension day as we averted three different potential disasters in the renovation. CREDIT moi for being alert, clear, and gentle; all got back on track with both happy contractors and happy owners. And I didn't try to eat my way through any of it.

onebyone - Sounds like productive art work time. For those two ceramic objects won't you have to get started in your new studio?

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Like the phrase, "Goldilocks problem" - I have that all the time with books.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for stretches - wish I did those more.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Love the notion of a sock monkey that needs to get to Alaska - kinda like a Curious George plot, LOL.

Pam (pamatga) – Me too on peanut butter with bananas - my favorite lunch! Enjoy that corn on the cob while it's still in season.

SuperChick - "Surf before work" sounds like priorities in order. Kudos for thinking ahead about your restaurant meal and following through with a "no drama" evening.

Tazzy - 90 ounces is a bunch of water - Kudos for persistence. Ouch for chocolate chips - I can't start on those little devils.

Michi702 - Kudos for recognizing that your job is a source of stress - it's easier to avoid eating over stress when you acknowledge where it's coming from. It's easier to move into a better job from working than it is from not working - employers have a bias toward the employed that makes it hard to break back into the working world. Keep it up working on eating while seated; it was a big shock to me that I was nibbling while standing a lot. Glad you've joined us over here.

Readers - chapter 4

what to do . . .
To give yourself credit, do the following:

1. Notice every positive eating behavior you engage in - and every time you refrain from eating something you are not supposed to have.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 68.

Tazzy
08-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Hi Everyone,

A better start to today for me, down 1.4 on the scale! :carrot: I kept the water to a reasonable amount yesterday of only 54 oz at my desk. Also had Zumba last night, credit for that and it was a nice temperature in the gym so that helped.

I'm most excited today that I can add my tracker to my signature. I'll be back later for the personals.

update now have to figure out how to the tracker to show and not just the suns!

onebyone
08-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Hi coaches

Well, rats.
I weighed in *credit and saw +1.6 this morning = 279.1
It IS under 280 and it IS farther away from 275 and it IS a response to making soup yesterday from a bouillon base--that stuff is notoriously salty.

My mood this morning has made my mindset rebellious. There are more triggers than the weight gain on the scale, which, lets face it, for me happens every other day. I can admit here that I feel some anxiety as DH got paid today and I have no control over where the $ goes and how much or what I can spend on things I need. It's all tense to me today (I don't always feel like this) and I don't like it. I have eaten over the feelings. I ate all the eggs I boiled (5 sigh) instead of saving half for later. I ate an extra toast. And I just finished off a small can of treenuts. They've been hanging around the cupboard for some time and since there are no other snacky things here, it was the only thing I could find to satiate that "need to gnaw".

So, weightgain, offplan eating, eating too much, unwilling to stop... I'm not feeling very good right now. I guess it's time to go read my books and to regroup. I think I'll go make some tea and try to calm down. That's what the 4 Day Win plan says is a key to weightloss--a calm state of mind. I'm already calmer having written this. So, thanks.

Have a good Wednesday.

Michi702
08-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks to everyone who gave me such a warm welcome!

BillBlueEyes - I followed Lovely from Alternachicks from that forum to here; I like to have a very active support group where I can get and give feed back at least daily and I noticed how fast past this area of 3FC was :) I looked into Beck because I needed something more than just calorie counting. I had experienced moderate success on it before and still like following my 1800 calories a day plan, but mentally I just wasn't where I needed to be. I love that Dr. Beck focuses on attitudes and helps me create a positive change through her program. It's nice to ease my way in by doing just 1 thing a day too!

Today I'm on day 4 - giving myself credit - and I already have a bunch of credits. Is it possible to give yourself TOO many? :) The two that I am most proud of are (1) I'm writing down the 42 steps as I do them in my diet notebook to serve as a reminder of what I need to do everyday; (2) I went into the kitchen, discovered brownies, went for a small sliver of brownie and realized after one bite I was eating standing up. I grabbed a napkin and sat down to finish my second bite. I'm glad I didn't fall into the trap of 'I'll eat sitting down next time' and instead corrected the behavior.

As an update to yesterday: I made it through one of my last long shifts at work (I had my supervisor change my schedule because the stress was too much) and then went out to eat with my college room mate. I had a healthy meal picked out from Friendly's but they were all out of salad so I had to switch it up at the last minute. I still got veggies as a side instead of fries and I picked one of the healthier sandwiches on the menu (credit!). I was annoyed because I didn't like that I couldn't follow my original plan, but when I reviewed my day I realized I had burned so many calories at work I could safely eat my whole meal plus one scoop of ice cream and still be under my target calories for the day. I did just that :D

I look forward to sharing with you all again later. Everyone keep up the good work!

pamatga
08-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Michi702 Well aren't you a cute little kitty...cat!! Sounds like you are already throwing yourself into things. Great Job and Credit for that!!

tazzy You are on fire! :woohoo:

gardenerjoy I too hate sappy solutions. Life is often gritty and that is one reason why I like Dr. Beck's style. Hers is not a "Goldilock's solution".

onebyone I am not going to mince words here, gf, I could easily see how the fact that DH has got an iron grip on the $$ is what caused your binge. Whether he is a reasonable person or not, you do need to express your feelings towards him about how you feel about not getting your needs met or you will be on this merry-go-round of "rebellion" which is just another word for self-sabotaging your efforts to become healthy and sane.

One of the most difficult things that I have had to learn to do was to assert myself and stand up for what I need as a person, especially in an intimate relationship. It takes a lot of patience, self-knowledge, compromise and maturity but it can and must be done. Actually, I have also had to "teach" my DH to do the same with me since he is the "silent" type about his own needs. I have also "taught" him to give out cues that I can "read" so that if he feels awkward saying "I need such and such..." he can speak in a code I "understand" and then I know what he needs/"wants".

Have you considered bartering for what you need? Offer to paint a picture for someone in exchange for art supplies? I don't know if your present circumstances allow you to take on a part time job or not so you could also purchase the items you might need to further your art career but that was another idea that came to mind. How about any of your friends or relatives?

The main thing that I would strongly encourage to do is don't eat over this! It is just plain not worth it! There is a better way and that is something that you will need to figure out how to do. I understand the temptation because that is probably what you have always done but you never get out of this yo-yo pattern of going up and down the weight lose ladder until you stop reacting to life's thorny problems by eating food you don't need and probably don't want.

Will it be easy? No, not the first, second or third time but by the time you have done it a few times, there will come an ease with it. If you haven't ever asserted yourself with him, it can be downright scary but you might be surprised at his reaction. He might not be as inflexible as you think. If he is, well, then you can decide what to do about that at that point. First, give the man a chance and see what he says. Just remember, respect comes first among equals.

Stats for Day 22 (8/30):

Note: BLC reduced my daily caloric range down to 1400-1800 calories today. Fortunately, I caught it "in time" when I was logging my evening meal.

**1768 calories 31 g fiber 3480 mg sodium
**Designated "Day Of Rest" so just continued to work in my closet, light housework(laundry/loaded dishwasher, made meals), did some hand sewing and watched semi-finals of AGT!
**F/V:lots of fruits today! 1 whole apple, 8 oz lite cranberry juice, 1 whole med banana, 1/2 c red grapes, 1/2 c fresh pineapple. No vegetables today unless you count the tomato sauce (which tomatoes are actually a fruit, so there you are!) I had with the spinach, carrot and tomato fettucine (the box says: 1 servings of vegetables in a 2 oz serving). I will not buy it again--taste felt "processed" and kind of "fake".(frankenfood??? :fr:)
**Sugar: None
**Water: does chewing multiple glasses of ice cubes count? Otherwise, lots of Coke Zero Cherry, my new favorite!
**Sleep: 8 blessed hours. TYJ!
**Post-yes
**Planned: No
**Log: Yes

Dumb me, I noticed that part of this "Challenge" was reporting some of these other elements that I wasn't so I have added a couple. I still do not pre-plan my meals the day before. I know that Dr. Beck stresses that as well. I'm not being difficult about it but I have found that too many times I am looking at this pre-planned menu and I am going, I don't want to eat that now, I want to eat this instead. My kitchen is "clean" so I can't "go wild" in there. There are no treenuts lurking in the pantry or Kit Kats above the microwave (he eats them too fast for me to get my hands on them--again respect, they are his!) I know some of you here pre-plan your next day's meals. Isn't that rather stifling?

Well, folks, I am going to confess this since it was probably more obvious to you than it was to me (isn't that the way life is though?). BLC went and reduced my recommended daily caloric range since I dropped down to where I am no longer in the "heavy weight" category (no pun intended).

Could you really say I was eating a reduced-calorie food plan before when you see :rolleyes: some of my daily stats. NO!! :nono: You are all just too kind. I did not hear even a whisper of "psst, ....." Such love! :angel: Back at ya :grouphug:

So, now, I am really going to need those response cards!! I am going to do my very best to stay under 1800 calories per day. Since we all know how much I eat out, now the real work begins. As I was telling my DH last night, I have "listened" and read how all of you have worked so diligently to tip toe around the land mines when it comes to eating out and truly staying on a more restricted food plan and now, it is my turn. I want to do all of you proud so I am "sucking it up" :frypan: and putting my hand to the plow. :club: :stars:

Tazzy
08-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Back again today. I'm on Day 27 of the book, Master the Seven Question Technique, and just glanced through the chapter. I think I'll take a couple of days to go through this one to give it the time and effort that it deserves.

Michi702 Welcome to the group. It is a very welcoming, supportive and friendly group of people with lots of knowledge on the program.

pamatga Credit for changing categories on your BL Challenge. I have to admit I'm one of those people who plan the next day's food, except on the weekends. It's for a couple of reasons, first I bring my breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks to work with me and second, my 2 stepsons are at our house every other day. As much as I can convince my DH to eat Raisin Bran for dinner some nights the two boys would look at me like I had two heads! I'm also too cheap to buy lunch out everyday and would never know what to get. There is a grocery store only 3 blocks from work so if I don't plan things it's easy to go there and still make relatively healthy choices.

onebyone Sorry to hear you are having a yucky day. Credit for getting your book, re-grouping and finding a calm state of mind. I can relate to your situation, in our house I'm the one who looks after the finances and my DH doesn't always keep track of how much money is in the bank account. He will occassionally buy things that are not necessary and then wonder why I get upset about it. My first response is to head straight for the kitchen pantry and eat something "just to show him". Not sure exactly what my eating is going to show him but I think it makes me feel better because I can control that (and I do have some control issues). I need to find a better strategy to cope with at those times.

gardenerjoy Credit for planning to weigh everyday in September, hard to believe that tomorrow already! I read a book recently you might find interesting, it was called "A Waist is a Terrible Thing to Mind" by Karen Schalf Linamen. Had some interesting persceptive to it and some things I was not so sure of.

BBE Yep those chocolate chips are one thing I should keep out of my kitchen! Credit for happy contractors and happy owners!

Hi To Lexxiss, Beverleyjoy, Alana (in Canada) and Superchick

And I quote I received today from a friend:

The Dalai Lama was asked what surprised him most, he said “Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.

Beverlyjoy
08-31-2011, 06:24 PM
Hi folks... today I am struggling. This often happens after a trip where I've had to work really hard to stay on my program. It's like a 'let down'.. It's something I must work on. I'll keep trying!!!!

Hope you are having a great day.

Welcome Michi207!

Lexxiss
08-31-2011, 10:19 PM
Hi Coaches!

A successful Beck day, so far, although my most challenging time of day is here. Food was not planned...we traveled and jumped right into painting. Green smoothie for lunch, and dinner out with mom. We had been at the restaurant last week so I planned ahead and ordered what I had picked off the internet menu. I knew there were some delicious entrees which would be downright insane to even consider….chile rellenos, etc. Exercise was painting and scraping. I had a good weigh in this morning.I am happy when I can maintain my losses. Sometimes I don’t know what to expect when I step on a different scale…*credit* for continuing to weigh daily.

BillBlueEyes, now that was a very happy day! *credit* for not eating your way through any of it!

gardenerjoy, I always say, "take what you need and leave the rest". That might apply to your book.

SuperChick, yay! for avoiding restaurant drama!

onebyone, I'm glad you felt calmer after coming here and hope you found some Beck skills you were willing to use to help you get back on track

michi702, I don't think you can give yourself too much credit! I loved those first days as I was learning to eat while sitting. Great that you're already correcting your behavior instead of waiting until next time.

Pam(atga), I saw a Georgia license plate today and said to myself, "I have a friend in Georgia." Sending you supportive thoughts as you reduce your calories. Me thinks it will feel great to move up a notch with WL. BTW your post today cracked me up! Took me a minute to translate TYJ

Tazzy, love that quote. Do the quotes come from a specific site? You are to the part of the book that I took very slowly...lots of info. Congrats on the scale moving down.

Beverlyjoy, hang in there...don't let one day get you down. I understand the let down, it happens to me, too.

gardenerjoy
09-01-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm having some really useful insights working through A Course in Weight Loss by Marianne Williamson. Today was about understanding Not-Thin Me so she can deliver her message and go away. Her message seems to be something about what it means to me to be a grown up.

I met my exercise goals for August. Credit moi! And I need that credit. Dr. Beck is right that it's too easy to think everything is going wrong and that I might as well give up. In fact, exercise went quite well in August -- I overshot my goals and did it with a day to spare. That's a success I can build again.

BillBlueEyes
09-01-2011, 06:20 AM
Please join us as this discussion continues on

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/239669-beck-diet-life-solution-september-2011-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/242134-beck-diet-life-solution-september-2011-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/206004-list-monthly-beck-threads-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)