20-Somethings BL Corner - Lovely Leaves Week 1 Chat 7/31-8/6

SMSDREAMER2007
07-31-2011, 03:19 AM
Welcome to the Lovely Leaves! I will be your team captain. Our color in the weekly results thread (for both teams) will be Red. GL everyone can't wait to see all your success!

philana
07-31-2011, 05:39 AM
Yay! Good work SMS for setting this up!

Well - I JUST had my bday, so today is getting back on track day. And it just sucks how much more hungry one feels after off plan days. All those dang carbs are killing me. LOL.

SMSDREAMER2007
07-31-2011, 06:13 AM
Not a problem philana! I love TBL challenges! Birthday carbs EEK Mine is in october and it is going to be hard cause my 100% challenge isn't over until 6 days AFTER my birthday LOL

KittyKat1465
07-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Hey guys! Can't wait to be TBL's!!!!!!!

mommy1028
07-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Hey everyone! Good luck we can do this!

ruby5839
07-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi everyone! So excited to get this challenge started! It's exactly the kind of motivation I need right now. Good luck everyone!!

melni
07-31-2011, 11:50 AM
This is exciting! We are all going to ROCK this.

SMSDREAMER2007
07-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Glad everyone is excited Can't wait for our first weigh in!

bee optimistic
07-31-2011, 01:29 PM
I am very much looking forward to joining you ladies in our weight-loss journeys! I believe in each one of you :) and I know that if we support one another we can accomplish anything we set our minds too!

So yesterday was girls night... this is the first 'off-track' day I've had since I started nearly 3 weeks ago. The funny thing is, it wasn't really all that much 'off-track' IMO because I didn't go overboard, and when I calculated my daily calories it was only about 2000, so not too bad (although perhaps I'm just convincing myself of that) because generally I try to stay between 1200-1500 calories per day. We went out for sushi (I had a tuna roll, dynamite roll, and cali roll) and then when we came back to my house they made chocolate fondue (not my idea but you know how girls nights go) I limited myself to fruit (banana, strawberries, grapes, and one 'two bite' brownie (you know the ones I'm speaking off) and instead of dipping them in chocolate I just drizzled a moderate amount on top (again, much less than if I had dipped them individually, just enough to get a bit of chocolate taste.) Plus all I drank all night was ice water. I guess what I don't understand is that today I am feeling kinda guilty that I joined in on the fondue and keep telling myself maybe I overdid it on the sushi. Why can't I just allow myself a little leeway? I can't expect to be perfect all the time and in real life there are always going to be things like this and I don't want to restrict myself to the point of feeling controlled by food. Ugh, I thought I handled myself perfectly, before I would have gone crazy with something like this and could have easily shovelled in 2000+ calories in the evening just on fondue... and I mean of course if it wasn't girls night I wouldn't have ate chocolate fondue but seriously now that I've treated myself I don't really feel the desire to do it again anytime soon... KWIM? Can someone give me some insight, I can't be the only one that feels like this sometimes...

PS: So excited to kick this off with all you lovely ladies <3

DivineFidelity
07-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Hi everyone!

It feels good to be getting back on track. Last year I lost over 70 pounds (my highest weight is 251)...but when I started dating my boyfriend (who I've been with for almost a year and a half now) the weight started creeping back on. I was down to 180 pounds, but now I'm back up to 246. This will be my first week REALLY back on track, but I know that I can do this. The only difference is that I've got gallbladder problems now, and I'll be having my gallbladder removed on August 19th. I'll still be eating right, but I probably won't exercise for at least a week after the surgery. I'm changing my diet to 4 smaller meals a day with snack instead of 3 larger meals a day with some snacks because I've been told that after the surgery it will be easier to digest smaller amounts of food at a time. Maybe this will also help me curb some cravings...we'll see. I have a serious food addiction, and I need to find a successful way to stay healthy. Last time around I did Weight Watchers without paying for it. This time I think I'm just going to try and eat healthier without calculating and stressing myself out. Smaller portions, whole grains, lots of fruit and veggies, and only water. My main problem is fast food, and I feel like if I can manage to cut it out completely the weight will melt off. I have a severe addiction to the stuff...I get these cravings and I swear it must be what a smoker feels like when they want a cigarette (not that I would know, I don't smoke).

ANYWAYS,
I hope to get to know all of you ladies a little bit better, and I'm super excited for this challenge. I'm going to a wedding like October 21st or 22nd...and I'm going to need to get a dress....unless I can lose 20-30 pounds by then and fit back into the one i've already got. lol. Hopefully this challenge will help motivate me!

SMSDREAMER2007
07-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Bee- I used to do that too. I was still in the mind that if I messed up a litle bit the whole diet went to ****. Finally I started reminding myself that it is OK to splurge once in a while. My sister is a size 0 at 5'6" I mean literally a 0 and she is not anorexic an she munches all day. Occasionally she has that chocolate fondue or that glass of wine...maybe even a slice or two of pizza then gets right back on the wagon and never gains a lb...shes ALWAYS been thin. I can't stand next to her my self esteem takes a MAJOR blow if I do. I finally realized if she can splurge and stay thing by getting right back on track then so can I. I decided I won't want to avoid that cake, or that ice cream...the chocolate or the wine forever so why avoid it now?

Divine- you WILL fit back in to that dress you CAN do it!! woot woot!!

Let's in the words of madamb from sarge's no excuses boot camp "melt that butt-er!!" Smaller clothes and smaller numbers here we come!

DivineFidelity
07-31-2011, 03:28 PM
SMS- I just realized you've been diagnosed with PCOS as well. I've been on birth control since I was 10 just to control the symptoms (I started my period when I was 9 because I was already like 5'4" and 160 pounds or so)...and the doctors have told me if I ever want to get pregnant that I'll probably have to take fertility drugs. I don't know much about it though. They diagnosed me when i was so young that they really just explained it to my mom, and since almost all of my symptoms are controlled with the birth control pills they figure there are no reasons to do tests or change anything up...but still, I've read that it can affect my weight, but I don't really understand how. Idk. They told me I have it, they just never explained it.

Oh, that's something I forgot to mention. I've been having back pains and problems digesting food for almost a year now (with lots of running to the bathroom involved)...and now that they have discovered the root cause of all of it is my gallbladder, they have told me that has probably had a lot to do with why I've gained as much weight back as I have. I've been off track yeah, but I haven't been THAT bad...and the doctors said that since there is a gallstone blocking the duct from my liver to my gallbladder, NO bile is going into my gallbladder, and so NO bile is going into my stomach to help digest fatty foods. Instead of being digested, the fats are being absorbed into my body...making me gain weight. They've told me that once they take it out, if I'm eating healthy, the weight should just melt right back off again. I'm hoping it's that simple...but I'm not holding my breath. Lol.

SMSDREAMER2007
07-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Divine- I didn't understand really till this year either mainly because I was in denial an didn't want to know. My mom understands it less than I do because She stopped going to doctors things with me when I was 15 (that's when i got tired of her bs, told her to back off and started taking myself instead of having to listen to her moaning and groaning). I know what it is like to be in the dark about everything and it SUCKS. Part of the problem with birth control and PCOS is it does cover up symptoms (one of the reasons I refuse to take it). If you EVER want more information on it or to have it explained to you or even a suggestion of good books to read up on the subject feel free to shoot me a message or catch me on a messenger (my messenger names are on the left tho I took skype off my computer). I'd be happy to explain and/or make you less confused.

SugarRomeoTango4852
07-31-2011, 08:49 PM
Hello All!
True Story: I am really looking forward (and dreading) doing this challenge with everyone on here! I am looking forward to it because I have never been accountable for my weight to anyone (but myself and clearly that hasn't worked!) but I have to stick to it so I don't drag the team down. I am a team player and hate to be the lagger.

I am dreading it (and actually terrified I won't lose anything) because I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism a few months ago and my medicine dosage to right me hasn't been worked out yet.

However, I am here and ready to jump in...but if I need a smack in the head once in a while, don't hesitate to give it to me!

SMSDREAMER2007
07-31-2011, 08:54 PM
SugarRomeo- I totally understand!!! I have a friend with thyroid issues and I myself have PCOS which means I have to work, work, work for any loss. I have been SUPER successful lately thankfully but I always dread not losing. Specially with the biggest loser summer challenge that I do in TBL challenge area. The most we ask for is that you do your best! If we all do our best then I am positive that we will be the best team we can be!! We will all support each other through our losses, gains and maintains we are a team!

kurisitaru
07-31-2011, 11:32 PM
Just found this thread. ><
Posted a link for it in the rules thread, if that's ok?

SMSDREAMER2007
07-31-2011, 11:34 PM
That's perfectly fine kuri! I didn't cause I honestly didn't even think about it.

Question to pose to you all.

Truth be told I plan on heading up these challenges for a good long while I love doing it and I like the challenges. The siggy's What do you like about them and what do you wish to see changed? Any suggestions for what might work better for the next challenge?

DivineFidelity
08-01-2011, 01:28 AM
I think it's a little bit hard to read the text on them. I like it, but maybe if it weren't so translucent it would be easier. I'm definitely glad you're planning on consistently heading up these challenges for a while though. I absolutely LOVE them, but I'm a full time college kid with a full time job and I don't really have time to sit down and do all of the organizing and stuff. They definitely help keep me motivated though, and I'm super excited.

I'm challenging myself this week (and you ladies are welcome to join in if you would like) to drink over 100 oz of water a day. I know one of my biggest problems is that I don't drink enough at all...and I'm probably dehydrated most of the time...and then when I DO drink it's junk I don't need. This week I'm going to give my body what it needs and just drink good old h2o.

Oh, and I thought I'd report my first NSV since being back on track. Today I drove my boyfriend back to his house and on my way home I was SUPER hungry and had this HUGE fast food craving. Usually on my way home from his place, if I'm hungry I'll stop and grab something. This time, I fought the urge, and I was successful! I didn't get anything, and when I got home I had a lean cuisine. Now, the craving is gone. I used to give myself one meal out to eat whatever I want each week, but this time I'm not doing that. My family usually goes out to lunch on Sundays after church, and I will still go with them, but I will no longer get the huge burger and greasy fries. I will get the grilled chicken with some veggies, or something like that. I CAN control my cravings and I CAN make good choices!

philana
08-01-2011, 03:36 AM
Today is my first real day on plan again since my bday (friday). And it was my first few days off plan since I started a few weeks ago. What I really noticed, is that eating carbs makes me eat more carbs. OMG. Seriously. I am glad the weekend is over and I devoured all the left over bday chips and chocolate so I can start clean again. I could just not control myself with that stuff in the house, and also the cravings were way worse. I had NO PROBLEM staying on plan for 3 weeks, but allowing myself to go off for my bday was the worst thing ever. LOL.

Anyhow, I'm 4lbs up from friday - so I hope I can get them gone by wednesday because it's mostly from all the salt I ate. And then I can really be back on track again. And I am setting the minigoal of being at 142lbs next week. So I have to work extra hard, but starting with c25k next to the gym and not having any 'mandatory' dinners out and such are gonna help! And I need it to stay motivated for sure.

mya
08-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Hey girls, I just read on the other thread that I'm on this team.
Ok, I watch TBL and I know how things work there, but I never participated on a BL challenge here. So every week the team with the lowest percentage of weight loss eliminates a member chosen by vote? Is there a weekly challenge or something like that?
philana: Carbs put me at 220 lbs. I was lucky enough to have a mom who eats lots of fruits and veggies and I learned to like them when I was a child. I was never a fan of fast foods or anything like that, but damn those large portions of simple carbs. I had a couple of weeks WAY off plan in june when I bought a bread maker and was experimenting with the recipes. I think I gained 4 lbs or so I had recently lost. I'm still using it, but to my advantage this time, making breads as organic and healthy as possible. I find that I can control my cravings as long as I'm eating all complex carbs, and I think they're just as tasty.

SugarRomeoTango4852
08-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Good Morning, Ladies!

@Philana: Happy Belated Birthday and I am sure that extra weight will just melt away now that you are back on track. :hug:

@Divine: Congratulations on defeating your fast food craving! :carrot: Power to you for putting your foot down on the junk food itch. I am going to try and follow in your footsteps on it and resist my Wendy's urge (trust me, I hear the fries calling me even now!). I would join you on your water challenge but I drink so much water (and tea) that at times I hate it a lot. If you are having trouble drinking water cause it is tasteless try the Mio water sweeteners. They are a little on the pricey side but they last a long time and it only takes a drop or two to make the water taste like juice. The best part, they are zero calories.

@SMS: Would it be alright if I try to make a signature or two? I used to do it all the time (5 or 6 years ago) for different forum boards (Gaia, mainly, my sister and I were really good at it and some of our stuff is still floating around). Otherwise, I agree with Divine. The text can be a little hard to read. I would recommend inverting it, making the background slightly translucent so the words pop out at you. :joker:

In other news: My weight is up but I am fairly certain that is it from the salt I ate last night. Since it was the last night before I am buckling down I ate Chinese with my mother (horrible I know but it will be a long while before I do that again.) To make up for it I hit the gym and sauna this morning. I feel great (remind of this when I am exhausted later) and I am looking into group classes to take in August to keep my butt motivated.

...I am also currently trying really really really hard to resist the Bavarian cream donut that is sitting on my student workers desk...I hear it calling me.

jaimie1980
08-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Hey ladies! Looking forward to loosing with you all! This challenge ends 3 days after my bday, so hopefully I can look a lot better this year than I have the past 9 years!

Divine- I also have PCOS. I would not worry too much about fertility at this point. I am really surprised you were diagnosed so young! I have PCOS, and I weighed 160-200lbs when I conceived my kids with no issues, and I was pregnant 4 times (had 1 m/c and 3 perfect healthy babies). Not everyone suffers from the fertility problems. I think the most important thing to know is that the majority of PCOSers also have insulin resistance, which affects the way your body processes sugars and carbohydrates. Carbs are generally converted to sugar rather than energy and then stored as fat rather than being used by the body as fuel. So you have to be really careful with carbs, and try to eat only complex carbs that have a lower glycemic impact. If you are curious, google 'PCOS diet' and you can get some good ideas on what you should avoid. I lose so much faster when I stay away from carbs! Good luck!

SMSDREAMER2007
08-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Philana- I know how that can be!

Mya- We don't vote people off here...all just for fun ;) The team with highest % lost is the biggest loser team for the week, the person from each team with the most lost is that teams biggest loser with 2 honorable mentions then the person from both teams with the most lost is the overall biggest loser for that week ;)

Sugarroemo- We are keeping the signatures for now, they have been dispersed and it would be to hard to get them changed. I tried all of what you suggested and it didn't work. I wanted to keep the backgrounds we have, angeline and I fell in love with them. Thanks for the offer though ;) I might just need to use backgrounds that are more into the medium color range next time...or even snow since it will be a wintery challenge.

SugarRomeoTango4852
08-01-2011, 12:23 PM
@ Sms: I meant for next time. I know how hard it is to re distribute signatures.

toastedsmoke
08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Hey team! I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone in the next few weeks and seeing us all rock this challenge and achieve our goals. I was wondering if we could all do a little introduction ice-breaker thing, so we're all familiar with each other, and our goals and plans and challenges and maybe support one another better.

I've stolen this format for the last BL challenge I was involved in.

Most Recent NSV:
Weight Loss Goal for the Challenge:
Battle Plan for Reaching BL Challenge Goal:
Particular Challenges/Upcoming Temptations that You are Working to/or Planning to Overcome:
Anything Else You Would Like to Share About Yourself:

Riestrella
08-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Hey everyone! I'm on the Lovely Leaves team and we are all indeed, lovely ladies! Looking forward to being part of the team and losing some weight! Great idea toasted, I'm all down with questionnaires!

Most Recent NSV:
Hmmm, probably running my 5 mile run this morning! Or the fact that the skinny jeans I bought a while ago are now baggy =D.

10 weeks = 10 pounds.

I'm training for a 10k race for the 14th August, and after that I'm training for a half marathon - so I think my training schedule will keep me on track!

Particular Challenges/Upcoming Temptations that You are Working to/or Planning to Overcome:
Probably staying consistent with my training, but I've been doing well so far so I just hope to maintain that =)

Hmm, I'm nice and understanding - but if I feel like people are slacking for no good reason I like to dish up the good ol' truth! It might hurt, but sometimes we all need it! I'll be doing my best to lose at least a pound every week. I'm here to support everyone too, we can do this and WIN!

toastedsmoke
08-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Here's mine!

Most Recent NSV: Needing a belt for my new 31"x32" Esprit jeans. Fitting comfortably into US size 10 non-stretch pants and jeans without muffin top.
Weight Loss Goal for the Challenge: It's 10 weeks so ideally 20lbs taking me to my initial goal of 165 lbs. However I'd settle for 10-15 lbs putting me in the 170-175 range.
Battle Plan for Reaching BL Challenge Goal: Calorie cycling averaging at about 1200-1300 per day over the week.Getting back my workout mojo after a couple of weeks of slacking.
Particular Challenges/Upcoming Temptations that You are Working to/or Planning to Overcome: I'm going to England for 4 weeks for a bit of business but mostly pleasure and it's going to be tough to stay on plan. But I plan to check in every day to keep myself accountable and maybe weigh daily.
Anything Else You Would Like to Share About Yourself: I talk a lot. It will probably all come out eventually.

DivineFidelity
08-01-2011, 06:07 PM
I am perfectly find with surveys! lol

Most Recent NSV: Not getting fast food last night even though I wanted it.
Weight Loss Goal for the Challenge: Lets say 6 pounds.
Battle Plan for Reaching BL Challenge Goal: Stay on track, drink lots of water, and STAY AWAY from the fast food!
Particular Challenges/Upcoming Temptations that You are Working to/or Planning to Overcome: I'm trying to learn how to fight my cravings and how to tell when I am satisfied without getting sick from feeling so full.
Anything Else You Would Like to Share About Yourself: Lets see. I teach Pre-K and I am a full time college student. I take my classes online and fit all of the work in around my job. I have a class of 16 four and five year olds that I absolutely love to death. I live at home with my parents who eat junk all of the time and it's SO HARD to resist it. I do buy my own groceries, so that helps....but when I'm broke and they offer me free junk food, it's so tempting.

melni
08-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Most Recent NSV: I just recently fit in size 16 jeans.
Weight Loss Goal for the Challenge: 12 lbs would be great!
Battle Plan for Reaching BL Challenge Goal: Calorie counting & training for a 5k
Particular Challenges/Upcoming Temptations that you are Working to/or Planning to Overcome: I go back to school on the 18th. I'm a bit worried about food temptations, but more so about getting my exercising in!
Anything Else You Would Like to Share About Yourself: Gosh, I can't really think of anything.

toastedsmoke
08-01-2011, 06:27 PM
@riestrella: Go you! Running a 10k in a couple of weeks! When did you start training. I did C25k last August and have been running ever since them, but I haven't really built up to any distance more than 5k and frankly am a bit scared to. Did you follow a training plan?

DivineFidelity: I too live with my parents and am often tempted by their food. It's not even that it's unhealthy, it's just so carby and so delicious that it's a slippery slope down to binge-town for me to even eat with them. So I buy my own food and cook my own 1-portion dinners every night, even when I don't feel like and it would be so much easier to just grab an extra plate and join them. Congrats on not getting the fast food! I'd probably have given in and then had to eat a lettuce leaf and water for dinner. So not worth it!

KittyKat1465
08-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Riestrella - Glad to see you on this thread too!

Most Recent NSV: Fitting into a pair of 16 jeans! Haven't worn those since right after high school.

Weight Loss Goal for the Challenge: 25lbs! (I'm hardcore lol)

Battle Plan for Reaching BL Challenge Goal: Continue counting carbs and working with my trainer.

Particular Challenges/Upcoming Temptations that You are Working to/or Planning to Overcome: Well my birthday is coming up and I am going to enjoy it. But instead of 3 pieces of cake I'm only gonna do 1 ;) I think my biggest challenge is to get to having less than 100lbs to lose which I am 5lbs away from :)

Anything Else You Would Like to Share About Yourself: Not at the moment. I like to remain a mystery LOL

SMSDREAMER2007
08-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Sugarroemo- When the next challenge comes around and we choose a theme you are more than welcome to see what you can come up with!

Location: Portland, or (though there is SLIGHT chance I might be moving to preston for school in the next year-ish rie)
Most Recent NSV: My nails growing long from having a balanced hormonal system/vitamin levels
Weight Loss Goal for the Challenge: Ideally 20 lbs...probably will hit around 15ish
Battle Plan for Reaching BL Challenge Goal: Calorie cycling/chasing my nephew around
Particular Challenges/Upcoming Temptations that You are Working to/or Planning to Overcome: PCOS/live at home/school
Anything Else You Would Like to Share About Yourself: I love photography and photos/photo editing.

kurisitaru
08-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Most Recent NSV: I just noticed that looking down, I don't see my tummy sticking out past my boobs anymore.
Weight Loss Goal for the Challenge: Get into the 130s
Battle Plan for Reaching BL Challenge Goal: Calorie counting, another round of the SHRED and other Jillian videos, staying OP, and lots of water.
Particular Challenges/Upcoming Temptations that You are Working to/or Planning to Overcome: School is starting in late August. ><
Anything Else You Would Like to Share About Yourself: I am so tired of being over weight, I want to be fit for once in my life!

Anyway, it's SO hot here right now. I nearly died just riding my bike. It needs to cool down, I don't know if I could stomach a real work out right now. I might attempt yoga. At least I got the bike ride in.

Rated
08-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Most Recent NSV: I fit into a bathing suit that a week ago was a little too tight
Weight Loss Goal for the Challenge: 17 pounds
Battle Plan for Reaching BL Challenge Goal: calorie couting and at least 30 mins of cardio a day with some strength training as well.
Particular Challenges/Upcoming Temptations that You are Working to/or Planning to Overcome: School starts tomorrow

bee optimistic
08-02-2011, 01:07 AM
I love 'Get to Know You' Surveys!! So excited for this challenge with you lovely ladies <3

Most Recent NSV: Just starting up again and already feeling happier and healthier. Can't wait to fit into some of my 'smaller' pretty clothes!
Weight Loss Goal for the Challenge: I would love to lose 16lbs :)
Battle Plan for Reaching BL Challenge Goal: I calorie count (cycle between 1200-1500 cal per day) and work out 5-6 days per week, mix of cardio and strength training. Just basically trying to make lifestyle changes I can sustain.
Particular Challenges/Upcoming Temptations that You are Working to/or Planning to Overcome: I am taking my boyfriend for a weekend getaway for his birthday August 13-14... trying to stick to plan even though will be treating ourselves by dining out :)
Anything Else You Would Like to Share About Yourself: I am a public health nurse, love my job. My boyfriend works out of town, one month out... 2 weeks home. It's tough sometimes but it does help with weightloss and sticking to my plan because he's not there to distract me (plus it pushes me to surprise him each time he comes back)

Brown
08-02-2011, 03:14 AM

Most Recent NSV:
Stayed on plan today :)

20 pounds, back to where I was two months ago. :-/

Walking a few miles daily, and working out a few times a week. Tracking my food intake on Fitday faithfully.

I'm a binger. Eating sugar makes me want more, so I plan to stay on track to avoid those triggers.

I was 13 lbs away from goal. Then I gained 20 lbs back within mere weeks after getting back with my boyfriend. <_< So, now I'm almost 35 away from goal. <_<

philana
08-02-2011, 03:36 AM

Most Recent NSV:
My fav black dress fits way better than it did when I last wore it about a year and a half ago.

I don't know yet, just as much as I can get rid of in a healthy way. If it goes well - I might make it to my final goal by the end of the challange, but it matters none to me. I'll get there anyhow.

Calorie counting - about 1250 calories a day and one cheat-day a week.
Gym 4-5 times a week, work by bike 2-3 times a week, just started on the c25K, so that's 3 times a week of running.

Sticking with the c25k and fixing my bike, because it's so crappy I kinda take the bus more often than I should.

I'm chatty, postive and a little bit weird. lol.

----

So, I am happy because I am almost back at mini-goal from last friday. It's my first real 'slip' since I started, and if I actully manage to repair the 'damage' within about 3 days then that's just really motivating also!

Riestrella
08-02-2011, 04:33 AM
toasted - Don't be scared! If you've been running all this time then I'm positive you're ready for a 10k! I was running 5 minutes on 5 minute off for 30 minutes 3x a week for 2 and a half months in 2009, then really picked it up again 6 weeks ago (so 2 years later!) and I just ran 5 miles yesterday! I followed this programme: http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm and I'll be following a similar one for my half marathon training. You can do it!!

KittyKat - Hello fellow fitocracy competitor! Yes, I do view everyone as a challenge to me haha.

kurisitaru - I'm moving to Boulder in January, I'll be nearby! Which school do you go to?

bee - Your plan sounds awesome, I'm sure you'll have lots of success with it!

Brown - Listen, there's no use dreading what has happened in the past. Sure you've gained a bit of weight, but it happened and you're moving on with your life and most importantly trying to lose it! Don't let it affect your confidence, because we all slip up but the most important thing is to live for today to make the right choices for a better tomorrow - don't live in regret of what you did in the past, ok? :hug:

philana - Congrats on rockin that little black dress! Bet that's amazing. Personally I don't believe in cheat days, I think it sets up for bad habits. If you feel you have to cheat, then maybe your diet plan isn't so great?

philana
08-02-2011, 04:43 AM
Riestrella - I don't really need them. But it's a good way for me to keep myself from eating too much carb stuff. Once I get some chips, I am gonna crave more. So I just don't eat it on regular days. However, I don't want to cut chips out of my life just yet (that day might come, as it tastes so much more salty and fat since I started eating healthy). So, one day a week I allow myself chips and a soda. That's basically the extend of my cheatday. I don't have issues with overeating or so. It's not like I'll eat a few pizza's and whatever all else. And not having anything like that in my kitchen the rest of the week puts my mind at ease. Once I know there's chips in the kitchen, I somehow seem to crave it. When it's not there, I don't care and am perfectly happy with my greek yoghurt and a fuji apple.

But, cheat-days mean something different to everyone I think. My cheatday still means I don't go over maintenance calories, sometimes I'll just fill up the rest of the day with veggies and fruit on a cheat-day so I don't even go over weightloss calories.

Oh, and the "slip" from this weekend is really because of my birthday and people bringing me chocolate bars, pie and chips. LOL. Once it's there, it's gone. When it's not, I am fine.

SugarRomeoTango4852
08-02-2011, 06:50 AM

Most Recent NSV: Being able to fit into the ladies XL clothing at Kohl's as opposed to the Women's section.

Weight Loss Goal for the Challenge: 19 lbs. (8 lbs for Aug/Sept and 3 lbs for the beginning of Oct)

Battle Plan for Reaching BL Challenge Goal: Workout Monday/Wednesday Mornings, Weight Lifting follow by Yoga Thursday, Walking/Jogging with my Cousin Tuesday and Calorie Counting.

Particular Challenges/Upcoming Temptations that You are Working to/or Planning to Overcome: Hypothyroidism Sapping My Strength. Just generally being afraid of failure and looking like an idiot while exercising.

Anything Else You Would Like to Share About Yourself: Not Currently.

hotHealthy4life
08-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Most Recent NSV: I've started living healthier Aug 1st so non yet :)
Weight Loss Goal for the Challenge: below 165
Battle Plan for Reaching BL Challenge Goal: counting calories and being active every day!
Particular Challenges/Upcoming Temptations that You are Working to/or Planning to Overcome: Well, I'll be going to Greece on vacation, so I'll have to be wise about food. But swimming is an exellent exercise!
Anything Else You Would Like to Share About Yourself: Nope, but you can ask me anything :)

Hey girls! Good luck to everybody! We're going to be THE BIGGEST WINNERS!

ruby5839
08-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Most Recent NSV: Last week I managed to meet my exercise goal of 5 workouts a week! I'm really hoping to keep the momentum for this week.
Weight Loss Goal for the Challenge: 10-15 lbs.
Battle Plan for Reaching BL Challenge Goal: Calorie counting (aiming for around 1200-1500) and doing 5 workouts a week (a mix of running, swimming, yoga, pilates, strength training group classes and maybe some workout dvds like 30 Day Shred or Core Fusion)
Particular Challenges/Upcoming Temptations that You are Working to/or Planning to Overcome: I've been terrible at consistency so I hope to overcome that. It seems much easier in the summer with the sun and longer days to want to be active and workout.
Anything Else You Would Like to Share About Yourself: Can't think of anything particularly interesting right now, but I am looking forward to getting to know you all so we can support and motivate each other!!

mommy1028
08-02-2011, 12:55 PM

Most Recent NSV: Fitting into an old pair of jeans!

Weight Loss Goal for the Challenge: 20- 25

Battle Plan for Reaching BL Challenge Goal: Eating small portions, strength training, swimming, dance, chasing after my little one!

Particular Challenges/Upcoming Temptations that You are Working to/or Planning to Overcome: the scale/ the temptation of junk food being in the house so far I'm doing great at that but it's hard at times!

Anything Else You Would Like to Share About Yourself: I love being a mommy and would love to get healthy not only for myself but for her as well. I do not want to be known as the fat lazy mommy!

SMSDREAMER2007
08-02-2011, 01:14 PM
WOW we all have some AWESOME nsv's! keep it up team!

mya
08-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Most Recent NSV:Fiting into my size 46 pants this week! I put a lot of weight on recently, but I think that's the size I was able to maintain the longest. Probably from 2006 to late 2009, so a lot of my old clothes are this size. The last time I was smaller, I was in junior high. So, yeah, it has been a while. I was wearing 52's a few months ago, and I want to fit in 44's SO bad, that's gonna be a very, very big NSV. They're the largest size you can find on regular stores, out of the plus size sections. (I think a size 46 here is about the same as US size 12 or 14.)
Weight Loss Goal for the Challenge: Anything from 20 to 25 lbs.
Battle Plan for Reaching BL Challenge Goal: Counting calories, doing C25K, doing a lot of Jillian Michael's DVDs.
Particular Challenges/Upcoming Temptations that You are Working to/or Planning to Overcome:My IBS is a big challenge and my classes are starting in about 10 days, so I'm not going to have a lot of free time.
Anything Else You Would Like to Share About Yourself:I'm looking forward to helping you ladies on the team's percentage every week :D

toastedsmoke
08-02-2011, 05:18 PM
@Riestrella: I think its more a mental block than anything. I'll definitely look into doing the programme. Thanks for the link! I've kind of missed having a structured running programme.

@philana: I too have 1 treat day a week. Usually on Sundays. I still count calories but I eat at maintenance level so about 2100calories instead of 1200. I may or may not eat THAT many calories but it's a good day to have family dinners or brunch with friends, or pancakes or dessert or things I tend not to want to eat daily. Things that should kind of be eaten in moderation.

I'm really enjoying getting to know everyone. How are your weeks going so far? On plan? So so? Or not so much. I've picked up a nasty cold in the tropics, in the hottest of months. Yes, I know... So I haven't really been on plan work out wise this week. However tomorrow I promise to get my butt in gear and go to the gym. I have been on plan food wise though, so fingers crossed. I hope everyone's doing ok.

philana
08-02-2011, 05:39 PM
thank you toasted! i enjoy it too!

I just posted somewhere else, but ill post it here too:

Uhg. My day was decent, had a big lunch but then made the nicest low cal salad for dinner. And as I was sitting on my couch watching one episode of Alphas before going to the gym I remembered the Tony's Chocolonely in my kitchen. And I just HAD to get it. Ofcourse I got all uhg feeling after eating half of that and just didn't want to go to the gym. The only good news is - all the bad foods that people brought into my house as "gifts" for my bday are now gone. So there's no off-plan foods anymore, that will make things MUCH easier.

I didn't think I had actual food issues except pure laziness. But now I start to notice, if there's bad food in the house - I can NOT control myself. I just have to have it. It's super easy for me to just not buy the bad stuff. But when it's here I am so screwed.

Other than that, I am doing good :P I know tomorrow will be a very active day with lots of bike riding, the beach, my c25k run and even the gym. So I'll make up for the mess of these past few days.

Riestrella
08-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Today has been ok for me, I went on a 3 mile run which I did in 36:47, and in there I timed a mile run and managed to do it in 10 minutes, which was awesome! I mainly did that because of Fitocracy and getting points, but now there's a new challenge that's run a mile in under 10 minutes! Better get my arse moving!

My Mum and sister both bought me chocolate bars, I've been nibbling little pieces from them since Saturday, but since they're both in the fridge I'm secretly hoping that the parents sneakily eat bits of it too so it's less for me! Been trying to stay hydrated too, but my pee never seems to be clear haha.

Weighed in at 178 lbs again this morning, so I'm back on track and hoping to be at 177 lbs by the end of the week. Got a strength training day tomorrow, so lots of leg strengthening exercises. Thursday is my induction at the gym, can't wait!

melni
08-02-2011, 07:08 PM
I hope you feel better, toasted!

I've been doing great eating wise, but working out? Meh. Today is the first day since Saturday that I haven't done 30 day shred. It's seriously just too dang hot, even working out inside. We reached 113 today, not including the heat index. So, I'm planting myself in front of the fan for the evening!

Rated
08-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Bee – Where abouts in BC are you from? I live in the Okanagan valley.

I am on plan for today so far. I wanted to workout after school but my brother has friends over right now (my elliptical is in our family room) so I will have to do it when I get home from work. I want to work out 30 mins a day at least everyday in Aug so I have to do it tonight because I don't want to ruin my goal the second day in.

DivineFidelity
08-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Well today wasn't too great for me. I'm not over my calories or anything, but I DID end up getting fast food. It wasn't my fault exactly....I went to work and I was in the baby room today because the baby teacher was at a teaching conference and so I got 8 kids between 18 and 24 months...and they are ADORABLE, but one of them wouldn't eat her lunch and she saw my peanut butter and jelly sandwich and started crying and REALLY wanted it so I gave it to her and then had to go get myself something. The only thing close enough was mcdonalds. I got a grilled chicken sandwich, which is an improvement on the 10 piece chicken nuggets and large fries and large soda that I USUALLY would have gotten, but it was still awful for me....and now I can't eat more then a couple of pieces of bread for dinner. Oh well. I think it was worth it just to make that little girl happy. She ate the whole sandwich. lol

I'm a little nervous about tomorrow and thursday. I'll be at a teaching conference, and they serve us lunch. I can't bring a lunch because my boss paid for the lunches for all of us and if I didn't eat what she paid for she'd be pretty upset with me...but we won't even find out what it IS until tomorrow. Hopefully it will be like sandwiches or something...but last year it was barbeque chopped beef baked potatoes >.<....so I'm not holding my breath. I'm stuck between offending my boss (who already isn't happy with me because I'm having surgery on the 19th) and eating something that might not be healthy. I just don't know what to do. =/

Oh, AND I'm going out of town friday. I'll be back by saturday evening...but I won't have a kitchen to cook in and I'm a little nervous about what I'll be eating. I'm going to visit my older sister for her birthday. We're going to go out to dinner and then go with a bunch of her friends to some club or something...idk. I'm going to do my best to be careful, so we will see.

Other then that I've been doing well. At least I've been meeting my goal for drinking over 100 oz of water a day. You have NO IDEA how hard that is until you try it. I feel like I have to drink every few minutes just to get it done. lol. I think my skin is looking better though. =D

KittyKat1465
08-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Totally OP today and about to head to the gym :)

SMSDREAMER2007
08-02-2011, 08:21 PM
toasted- Feel better soon!!

Philana - I used ot be that way too. Once in a while if there is bad food here I eat it too but most of the time I can just skip it...its a LONG road but not eating sweets/carbs for 1-2 mos really really really helps with the cravings. Did you know that the craving/reaction to a food when its in the house being I GOTTA HAVE IT is more often than not a food allergy?

riestrella - have fun at your induction!

Melni- OUCH on the heat...we just started warming up here and even so it isnt all that warm :\

Rated - So inconvenient when people are in your workout space :\

Divine - That is always hard. What you can do is eat the food but....portion half of it off on one side of the plate and only eat that...easy compromise? It sometimes works for me, sometimes doesnt cause the other half is there looking at me but you never know it is worth a shot!

Kitty- YAY!!! Have fun at the gym!!

My day was pretty ok, cranky nephew and fun time in the pool! YAY! on plan for my eating and even got a little 2 min stint of running in! Tho I have been hovering at 259.9 and 259.8 for the last 3 days :\ Wish it would go lower!!! I am too close to the 260's for my comfort :\ Hopefully by sunday! *crosses her fingers*

ruby5839
08-03-2011, 12:21 AM
@Toasted: Summer colds suck! Feel better soon!

@Philana: At least you didn't eat the whole bar. That's something!

@Riestrella: Congrats on the 10 min mile!

@Melni: Wow, 113 sounds HOT! It really is tough to find the will to workout in that kind of heat, but hey, your body is burning calories just sweating!

@Rated: I hope you got your 30 mins in! I had my treadmill run interrupted today due to the unexpected arrival of guests too (ours is also kept in the family room). So annoying! Just when I'd worked up the will to get started too.

@Divine: That is a tight spot! Hopefully the food is not so bad.

@KittyKat: Awesome job! Hope you had a good workout!

@SMS: Yay to having fun in the pool! I always try to sneak in some exercises or stretches when I'm at the pool with my campers.

I didn't do so well with staying OP with my diet. I caved in for a sushi craving at lunch. But I went to this crazy strength training class and was sweating buckets! My muscles still feel jelly-like 2 hours later. I'm hoping to make it to an early morning hot yoga class tomorrow to stretch out the stiffness I'm sure to have.

Hope you all have a great OP day tomorrow!

SugarRomeoTango4852
08-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Good Morning, Ladies. How was everyone's night (or day, depending on what the time zone difference is).

@Ruby: I didn't think sushi (by Sushi I mean rolls) was bad for you? I am hoping not because it is the only type of fish I can stand. Wewt on the sweating buckets!

@Sms: You will drop! Just keep up on track.

@Divine: the only suggestion I have for dealing with your boss is bringing your own food and eating it on the sly or snacking so you aren't ravenous by lunch. If anyone catches you, explain that you are trying to follow a diet and that the food, while it looks delicious, does not fall into that plan?

As for me, I resisted my horrible donut urge and pizza urge in the past two days. I feel accomplished because my will power is especially weak lately since I am stressing about a variety of things. However, I did hit the gym this morning for some serious Elliptical, rowing and stair climbing. It was worth it in the end. I am supposed to go later tonight for some weights.

Does anyone do yoga or Pilates? I am looking into classes at my gym but I am...nervous. Also, when does everything think it is acceptable to buy new clothes cause I have an MC Hammer effect going with my pants...but they still "fit".

Rated
08-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Divine - If the lunch is unhealthy pick the best options and try to limit your portion sizes. I just got back from an out of town trip. I would say pack a healthy lunch for the road and bring healthy snacks. Careful with the alcohol at the club since those drinks can add up. I would get one clear drink and drink it really slowly and then have water the rest of the night (hopefully no one will notice the difference). Also if you know where your sister might want to go for dinner you could check out their website ahead of time to see what some good options might be. Just plan ahead and your trip hopfully won't affect you too much

Ruby- I wouldn't feel too bad sushi isn't the worst lunch you could have chosen... is it actually that bad for you? It seems like it would be okay.

Sugar - Good job resisting the donuts and pizza. I know it is hard to do since I am a stress eater also.

So I didn't end up going on the treadmill when I got home since my brothers friends were STILL at my house. I woke up extra early today so that I can fit in a double session today. So I am aiming for 60 mins of cardio today and I already completed half of it.

SMSDREAMER2007
08-03-2011, 11:47 AM
sugar- I LOVE YOGA!! its awesome!! as for the pants to me mc hammer = new pants. that look went out with mc hammer ;)

KittyKat1465
08-03-2011, 01:37 PM
My scale is not nudging this week and I have been totally op with my calories and busting my butt at the gym. It is so frustrating!

girlonfire
08-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Ahhh I've been out of town and need to catch up on this thread! Things were super busy with me between vacation and job interviews, but it seems to have settled down a bit and I TOTALLY fell off the workout wagon and need to get back on it pronto! My eating has been ok, so I've managed to maintain a little bit. Question about weigh-ins: for starting weight do I use the one I posted in the thread or yesterday's weight? I'm usually a Monday weigher, but I can move if the challenge needs me to weigh in on Sundays

DivineFidelity
08-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Well I just got back from day 1 of the conference. The food wasn't TOO bad. It was baked chicken, but it was breaded...green beans, mashed potatoes, a salad, and a cookie. I went ahead and ate all of it, because I forgot to eat breakfast and I figured that it would balance out. I did choose water over soda, so that's good.

My sister wants to go out to wings n' more for her birthday. I've never been there, I have no idea what they have, and I don't even LIKE wings...so I'm not too concerned. I'll eat dinner before hand and then just go with her and get a drink of some sort. I'll eat healthy enough to allow myself a couple of drinks at the club, and then the next day I'll get like a sandwich at subway or something on the way home. I think I'll be fine.

Oh yeah, and good news! I'm down a pound so far this week....which is awesome! ^^

Sugar - I've always wanted to try yoga but I'm scared of going and not having any clue what's going on, and I'm scared of trying to do a lot of the moves because I have a permanent left arm injury and I've already had to have 3 foot surgeries and might have to have a 4th...and I'm scared I'm going to hurt myself. =/

SugarRomeoTango4852
08-03-2011, 07:18 PM
@Kitty: It will move...you might have to yell at it a little but I am sure you you can convince it to give you love. :hug:

@ Divine: Congrats on the pound and the plan for the birthday dinner. The food at the conference doesn't seem to bad but skipping breakfast isn't a good way to go. Even something really small should be eaten in the morning to help your metabolism get going. :carrot: Hmm, have you asked your doctor about doing yoga with you foot?

@Chloe: How did the job interviews go?

@Sms: Man, I do need new pants but I am going to try and hold off a little longer. Who knows, maybe I can bring them back in style (not that anyone would thank me or that but still).

@Rated: Did you get in your overtime?

On my own front: Today was a major let down for me on the emotional side (Males! Who needs em.) and I ended up eating somethings I shouldn't have. Not a lot but enough that I am disappointed in myself. However, the disappointment did turn into a circle and is reinforcing my desire for change in my lifestyle. I just need to crawl out of the mud before tomorrow and get back on the bandwagon. (I posted this on another thread so if you see if twice, I apologize)

KittyKat1465
08-03-2011, 08:51 PM
MY TRAINER TRIED TO KILL ME TODAY!!!!!!!! At the time I thought I was going to die, but now I feel really good about it :)

kurisitaru
08-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Riestrella I go to UCD IN Denver... in in Denver.
But Boulder isn't too far from here. o.O I have a friend up there. =o
Maybe one day we can do a race or something together. Colorado is an AWESOME State for activity!

ANYWAY I found some lovely bike paths today and tried one out for a bit. =o
Want to go ALL The way on one soon.

Rated
08-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Kat - you may be sore now but you will be thanking your trainer later!

I had a really bad day today. I was doing well and then I came home from school and just binged. I ate everything and it wasn't even unhealthy just a lot of food (about 830 cal). I have no idea what triggered it I'm thinking maybe TOM. I should have just said no but I couldn't stop.

On a good note though I woke up early and did 30 mins of cardio and I did another 30 mins tonight. So I got in my overtime to make up for yesterday.
Hope everyone else is having a better day. For those of you who binge (or used to) what are your tricks to stopping yourself?

DivineFidelity
08-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Rated - I wish I knew. I still binge. Its so frustrating because I'll be doing really well and then it's like my other self takes over or something and I just eat and eat and then I feel sick =/....and I don't binge on healthy stuff either...I'm talking like cheeseburgers and fries and milkshakes and chicken nuggets and all that greasy salty stuff i'm addicted too. If you find a cure, let me know. >.<

Brown
08-04-2011, 01:54 AM
For those of you who binge (or used to) what are your tricks to stopping yourself? I'm a binger, and I find the only thing that stops me is eating low carb/sugar. My triggers are cravings. I have a hard time with impulse control, whether it's food or buying things I want. When I get rid of the cravings, I get rid of the bingeing. The more sugar I eat, the more I NEEEEEEED.

The past few days I've been working ridiculous hours. I've been doing overnights, and my sleep is all messed up. I've fitdayed for the past few days, but I worked until 4 this morning, went home, slept from 5:30 am to 9 am, got up for an 11am job, and then ordered & stopped for a pizza on the way home. I got some frozen custard, and once I got back to my area, I got a small thin crust pizza, no cheese, extra sauce, with pineapple & green olives. And garlic butter. And I ate almost the whole thing. Then collapsed and hibernated from 1:30 to after 9 pm. I woke up reeeeally wanting cupcakes. So I went to the grocery store, looked at the cupcakes, and kept walking. I bought two containers of organic greens, and went home, had 2 sausages, and about 5 almonds. Showered, and came to work another overnight until 7 am. I know the only reason I was able to bypass the cupcakes despite my initial craving was because I've eaten very low carb/sugar the past few days. When I saw the cupcakes, suddenly they didn't really look very good. That NEVER happens to me. When I neeeeed something, I NEEEED it, and I will obsess until I go get it. Eating low carb, and getting a decent amount of fat stops that for me. Miraculous, really.

ETA: OH. I should also add that after bypassing cupcakes, and getting in my car to drive home, I also pulled into a Taco Bell parking lot to go through the drive thru, and suddenly that didn't sound so good, and I kept going until I went home & just had the sausages.

philana
08-04-2011, 03:44 AM
The people that read the Feathers Chat are gonna see some double posts from me. But since it's silly retyping my thoughts just in different words I am gonna copy some stuff back and forth! ;)

Well, I am super excited. I haven't been using an app to count my calories, So I know i've not been doing so great on it. I start counting again today because otherwise it's hard to stay around 1250cals. Anyhow - the reason I am excited is because I was able to drag myself out of bed and go for a c25k run (w1d2) before I went to work. This whole weightloss thing is really just a personal growth thing. I am learning so much, from self discipline to learning to push muy own boundaries. And also that things I thought I couldn't do for the past 25yrs, I actually AM DOING with a lot of enjoyment. I am just constantly psyched. I am more psyched about that than about the weight loss. After 6kg/13lbs in a lil less than a month I really don't see as big a physical change as I notice a mental change.

Hoping to start noticing the physical change as I keep creeping closer to goal weight though. Kinda silly how 6kg down the road people don't notice a thing. Though I know I've been hiding the upperbody weight neatly the past year and my legs are in no way smaller yet. LOL

DivineFidelity
08-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Well I thought I was going to be in real trouble. I binged last night...for dinner...it was around 11:30 (i know it's crazy to eat dinner that late but whatever) and my family was going out and they said they were going to go to this diner place that has really good grilled chicken so I said I would go because I'm broke and free food is free food.....well anyways, then they decided on the way to go to mcdonalds. Mcdonalds is my weak spot. With it right in front of me, just being offered an not having to pay for it....I simply couldn't resist it. I had a 10 piece chicken nugget meal...and I only got medium fries and a medium drink but my sister ended up dumping half of her fries on my tray, and I did get a drink refill. I thought I had destroyed everything i've done so far for sure...

...but I just weighed myself and I was 242.8. That's lower then yesterday's 245.1 or whatever. How did THAT happen? lol. I'm not going to complain....but no more binging for me. No more giving in. I felt so sick after eating that crap last night. I just need to start focusing on that sick feeling...maybe I need to think "if I eat this I'm going to feel absolutely AWFUL" or something like that. Idk if it will help, but I'm going to try.

Anyways, day 2 of the conference today. I learned a lot of interesting teaching techniques yesterday and hopefully I'll learn more today! =D

SugarRomeoTango4852
08-04-2011, 08:20 AM
I have a question: Does anyone drop weight really fast? I have gone from 258.9 on Monday to 254.4 today. I can't really be losing water weight because I have drink a lot of water and tea everyday (at least 100 oz, maybe more). I know it's possible to too weight fast but a pound a day?

philana
08-04-2011, 08:37 AM
SGT - I have that, I lost about 13lbs in a few weeks - and it would go with drops of 2lbs almost overnight. Don't know how that happens! But, congrats on the results :D

KittyKat1465
08-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Sugar-I've seen crazy drops before too. 6lbs in a week. But I never expect it to stay consistent like that.

kurisitaru
08-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Mint gum... or dessert sugar free gum.
I don't get desires to binge anymore, not like I use to. I've been binge free for 8 weeks! It's easier once you manage to stop... like quitting a drug or cigarettes. (Though I've never dealt with cigarettes, and caffeine was my drug. =o) As soon as you push through all those cravings and remain clean for a few weeks, it's all down hill. You don't even realize you use to struggle with it!
When I found myself upset, bored, or just cravings something, I would get a glass of water then a piece of dessert gum sugar free. The gum tasted like key lime pie, mint ice cream, cheese cake! And it would satisfy a craving. Then I would FORCE myself out of a kitchen or restaurant that had my desired binges.
If it was an emotional issue. I would tell myself that eating all of this would only make me worse. I would tell myself that my stress/sadness/hate would only backfire on my if I drowned it out on food now. I knew I'd be disappointed in myself.
Also... oddly competitions to stay OP has really helped me too. ><
In Sarge's boot camp I'm in a race for first to make it to 100 days OP. I keep telling myself that if I can make it 'till October CLEAN then I could totally enjoy Thanksgiving without starting the OP challenge over. o.O

As for weight drops, it could be water. If you build muscle for instance, your muscles will tear and shred so they need to repair themselves by adding in water to the tears. Then, if you take a small break from it, the water will eventually move out and the weight will DROP.
Sodium levels might also be decreasing so you aren't retaining as much as you use to and you're burning off anything you were retaining. It's easier to lose weight in the beginning of a new diet/exercise program. Most people see drops at the start.
Just don't get too discouraged if it doesn't remain a 7lb loss every week. >< It'll eventually go down to 1lb or 2lbs a week and sometimes a gain or nothing at all. Just keep at it those days... maybe change up the routine a little. o.O

toastedsmoke
08-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks guys. My cold is a lot better. I've been all over vitamin C and Cod liver oil and it's really helped. Congratulations everyone on your losses. We're really rocking this challenge so far. Woooot!!!!!! :carrot::carrot:

About bingeing. Although this is something I still struggle with occasionally and I do sometimes find myself succumbing to mindless eating, it does get better. My binges are typically triggered by the idea that x item(s) is/are bad and I can never eat it again if I want to succeed so I better eat it all now whilst I can whilst I'm off plan anyway. So, I try not to ban anything. If I'm craving chicken nuggets or french fries, I try to plan it into the next day and eat around that splurge calories-wise. That way nothing is off limits. Another thing that's really helped with bingeing and staying on-plan is working out and tracking workouts (calorie-wise). Even though there's no totally accurate way to do this, there are lots of apps/sites that can take your weight and guesstimate how many calories you've burned doing an activity (I always assume low intensity, no matter how much effort I put in). Seeing how much effort/activity it takes to burn a Snickers bar really helps me evaluate HOW MUCH I want that Snickers bar when I'm tempted. I also find it helps to plan ahead what I'm going to be eating and stick to that plan. Even if I have to eat out and I'm not sure what I'm going to be eating, I try to have a plan like I'll tell myself "protein and vegetables only," no carbs, no dessert. As much as you plan, you can't control every situation, but one always knows deep down what is healthy and what isn't, it's about making the best of the situation and not giving in just because it's the easiest option. And THIS is the hard part.

I've kind of been lax with eating/gotten bored with actively being on plan (as I do from time to time) and just kind of slacked since April or so and so have maintained within the same 5lbs. Now that I've decided to get back on track, something I've been working on recently is discipline and self-control, not only in terms of food and exercise but also in terms of life in general. Thankfully, I'm not starving, my eating everything on my plate is not going to save someone else from starving. I don't have to eat food just because it's there or it's on offer. I am allowed to tell myself no and in fact it's healthy to do so sometimes when it's to my benefit. I don't have to have everything I'd like. If I have a craving, it CAN wait till tomorrow when it can be on plan, if I still want it. These are the mantras I've been working on and they're not that easy to live by but they are helpful reminders from time to time.

SRT: May your whooshes rub off on us all! Go girl!!!:carrot: Sorry about the emotional mud of yesterday. On the positive, we're washable and the mud comes off really easily. Every minute is new and presents a fresh opportunity to move on from the past, thank goodness! :hug:

Kat: Congrats on surviving the tough workout!!! You may have wanted to die at the time but I bet you're glad you made it through now.

I did work out yesterday as promised. After not having run or exercised at all for like 2 weeks, I decided to do a 5k run at a fast pace on the treadmill. Not a good idea. I should have eased my way in for a couple of runs to get back into the workout groove. Within 10 minutes, I felt horrible and wanted to slow down. Only pride kept me going till I was done. I had planned to do the elliptical afterwards but I didn't because I felt THAT shaky. Today I was soooo sore. But you know what, no regrets. I'm glad I did it. I'll do it again tomorrow, but maybe a little slower, eh? ;) Eating is still going OP but I'm noticing I need to up my water a bit.

So team, I have a question, I've realized I've fallen into a trap where I've been doing mostly cardio (like 99%) and pretty much no strength training. I used to do NMTZ (Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones) last year and it was ok, but I'm wondering what you guys do for strength training/ looking for ways incorporating more of that into my routine. I'm not really looking to get cut/ripped or even to get Michelle Obama arms, it's just that everything I've read supports building lean muscle mass to boost metabolism and thus weight loss/maintenance etc. So what do you guys do for strength?

KittyKat1465
08-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Went out to dinner with my family for my dad's b-day at one of my favorite restaurants. They have the most amazing ribs, garlic mashed potatoes, steak, and honey rolls with cinnamon butter! And guess what I got? Grilled rosemary chicken and steamed broccoli! No rolls, even though they were staring at me from the middle of the table! That was a big NSV for me. I then came home and did an hour of cardio at the gym :)

DivineFidelity
08-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Well, I was back down to 242.8 today, so I guess that big gain was only water weight. The conference is over, so it's back to regular work today, and then off to College Station to visit my sister! I'm super excited. =D

SugarRomeoTango4852
08-05-2011, 08:55 AM
@Toasted: I am glad your cold it better but cod liver oil? Yuck! I also love the mantra(s) you posted. They are perfect and I am going to try and incorporate them into my eating patterns! Good job on pushing through your workout but if you are that shaky, maybe do some lower energy activities? You don't want to burn yourself down before you are completely better!

@Kuru: Congrats on 8 weeks binge free! And you are completely right about the emotional I would tell myself that my stress/sadness/hate would only backfire on my if I drowned it out on food now. I knew I'd be disappointed in myself.. I know that I struggle with the emotional aspects of eating and I am ALWAYS disappointed after. Keep going on the Sarge's! You can do it :hug:

@Kitty: YOU GO GIRL! I know how tempting those stupid rolls are when they are all warm and staring you in the face. And you passed up garlic mashed potatoes?! I bow before your amazing willpower. Hopefully some of that will rub off on me. (Also, I am hungry this morning so reading your post is making me go...hmm...ribs, rolls, potatoes...chicken...BROCCOLI!)

@Divine: Yay for water weight (one of the only times you will hear that I am sure)! Have fun with your sister

Thanks for the dropping information. I don't expect it to stay this drastic at all. I would not like that at all because I am kinda counting on slow and steady to give my skin some time to adjust.

So I hit the gym for some cardio and yoga last night and I must admit...the yoga kicked my butt. Holding the positions as well as concentrating on breathing...I worked up a good sweat. But it was a major NSV for me that I went, participated in public but I will defiantly go again. I have actually added a general goal to my life: I want to be able to do "Triangle" pose someday. You all know the one where people are on their hear with their feet in the air...yea. I watched a few people manage it last night and was so impressed I really want to do that someday.

I am just wondering what people constitute as a "binge". I am not sure if I binge more or less than I think I do compared to the conventional wisdom of the group.

KittyKat1465
08-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Anyone think sushi is ok to eat?

green chick
08-06-2011, 12:39 AM
Well, my first week doesn't really count because I literally just got back from two weeks in Hawaii. I'm actually pleasantly surprised I was able to maintain my weight from before the trip, and hopefully starting tomorrow I will get back into the full swing of dieting and exercise!

kurisitaru
08-06-2011, 04:39 AM
Sushi is probably one of the healthiest things to eat.
I'm so not kidding. Nori (the sea weed) is great for your health, fish is FISH need I say more? So many natural oils and proteins, and rice is good (not too much) carbs, avacado, eel, cucumber, fish eggs, ... OH MY!
If I ever need to order food down town, I get cheap sushi from a restaurant near here, they always have a happy hour going on and get most their profit from their saki and wine so the sushi is cheap! (More of a club environment)

Fish is great for you, yep yep.

KittyKat1465
08-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Good!!!!! I went out for sushi last night and I kinda felt like I was eating something I shouldn't cause it was so yummy. I had Ika salad, TNT roll, and edamame.

SugarRomeoTango4852
08-06-2011, 01:54 PM
*sigh* I am back up to 255. What the heck is going on with my weight!

DivineFidelity
08-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Okay....I think I have a real wake up call now. I went to College Station for my sister's birthday. It was fun and we had a good time...but my GOD I look absolutely huge in all of the pictures. I don't FEEL that big, and I don't think that I REALIZE I'm that big....but I need to admit to myself that I am, and I need to fix it. Here, take a look...

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/283940_2120108636300_1053322393_2425304_8052809_n. jpg

Sorry if it's big, but I don't know how to make it smaller. I want to cry when I look at this picture. My sister looks great and I look like a fat cow. I didn't think it was this bad. My FACE looks like it's as round as it's bowling ball....if anything is going to motivate me to kick it into gear, it's that picture...because somewhere deep inside that ugly unhappy fat girl is a skinny girl WAITING to break free. =/

KittyKat1465
08-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Can someone please give me the code for the signature? I didn't get it in the beginning and now I can't find it :(

SMSDREAMER2007
08-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Kitty, to get the code go to the rules thread where teams were announced and click the link...then copy the code.

Sorry I have been MIA all..Life got SUPER busy. Weigh in is tomorrow!!!! Lets see how everyone does. I am excited!!! Remember weigh-ins are due by 11:59 tomorrow night.

KittyKat1465
08-06-2011, 10:17 PM
SMS - Thanks! Glad you're ok. I was worried about you :( Thought you might be trying to catch me in the First to 15 challenge ;)

Rated
08-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Divine - I am all for using pics of myself for motivation. Just keep in mind that the pic could have been a really bad angle and therefore is unflattering. Don't lose sight of the good things about your appearence (your skin is gorgeous I am jelous!)

I had a better day today. I am back on track for calories. I know I am going to have a bad weigh in tomorrow since I went to my families cabin, had a binge and went out for dinner so my weight has gone up. I would love to be in the 150's by Aug 14 though which is my new short term goal.

SMSDREAMER2007
08-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Kitty- HAHA I would be except the scale hasn't moved ONCE why? Because for the second month in a row( something that has NEVER happened to me before) I have TOM It's a good thing I'm glad its leveling out butt.....Couldn't it have waited till oh...monday to make me retain water? LOLOL

KittyKat1465
08-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Dreamer - OMG I know what you're talking about! I haven't seen TOM regularly in a LONNNNNG time because of the PCOS. After I dropped 25lbs I started to see him on a regular basis. It is kinda bittersweet.

southernbelle102
08-07-2011, 01:53 AM
Hi Ladies! I am so bummed I missed my chance to be in this BL challenge!! I would love it if y'all wouldn't mind me just chiming in on this thread every so often for support. I am finally in the home stretch with my weight loss. I started my journey a year ago (July 2010). I actually started with a BL challenge and the challenges I did were very helpful in keeping me motivated. I have lost 167 lbs so far and have about 10- 20 more to go. I am working with a dietitian now to set a final goal so it is still flexible. I am so ready to be at my goal :) Hope you are all having a great week!!

Brown
08-07-2011, 02:16 AM
I have a question: Does anyone drop weight really fast? I have gone from 258.9 on Monday to 254.4 today. I can't really be losing water weight because I have drink a lot of water and tea everyday (at least 100 oz, maybe more). I know it's possible to too weight fast but a pound a day? Retaining water has very little to do with the water you're drinking. :)

@Toasted: I am glad your cold it better but cod liver oil? Yuck! [snip]
I am just wondering what people constitute as a "binge". I am not sure if I binge more or less than I think I do compared to the conventional wisdom of the group. I take cod liver oil. It's supposed to be better than regular fish oil, and gets you vitamin D.

I consider it a binge when I'm going to 2-3 fast food places to get everything I want. Or when I'm eating chips because they sound good. Which makes me want cupcakes because I need something sweet. Then I want pizza because I need savory. Then, I think "Ooh, I should get chinese because i'm going to get back on plan tomorrow.."... and so on. :-/

Anyone think sushi is ok to eat? That would depend on your diet, and the sushi.

Hi Ladies! I am so bummed I missed my chance to be in this BL challenge!! I would love it if y'all wouldn't mind me just chiming in on this thread every so often for support. I am finally in the home stretch with my weight loss. I started my journey a year ago (July 2010). I actually started with a BL challenge and the challenges I did were very helpful in keeping me motivated. I have lost 167 lbs so far and have about 10- 20 more to go. I am working with a dietitian now to set a final goal so it is still flexible. I am so ready to be at my goal :) Hope you are all having a great week!! Hi & welcome! :)

SMSDREAMER2007
08-07-2011, 02:19 AM
Southernbelle - You are more than welcome to become an unofficial member please post your weigh-in in the weigh in thread and state unofficial member in your post and GL

philana
08-07-2011, 02:56 AM
Girls! I can't get myself back on plan. I am not majorly off it - but I am just slacking. For a week now. It's crappy weather here and all I wanna do is stay inside. Which is why I get bored.. and that's when I start eating 'bad'.

Argh!!!

hotHealthy4life
08-07-2011, 05:17 AM
When exactly should we put in our weight for the first week? Is it okay to do it about 24 hours from now?
:)

Riestrella
08-07-2011, 06:21 AM
Oh dears - no change for me this week! Hoping for a pound shift next week though, the final week leading up to my 10k so gotta stay ON IT with exercise! Good luck to everyone else =)

DivineFidelity
08-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Well, I'm back up a little bit since a couple of days ago (thanks to my older sister's birthday party)....but I'm down 2.4 pounds from my official starting weight, so that's good I guess! Hopefully this week I can do an even better job of staying on plan and losing weight. I would LIKE to be able to get out of the 240s and into the 230s in this next week....which would mean I have to lose 3.7 pounds. I don't know if I can do it or not, and if I don't it won't kill me....but I'm definitely going to try.

Don't forget to weigh in everyone! =D

hotHealthy4life
08-07-2011, 10:07 AM
When exactly should we put in our weight for the first week? Is it okay to do it about 24 hours from now?
:)

No need to answer, I thought our first weigh in was until Monday....edited it!

Divine Fidelity woohoo, cogratulations for the loss :carrot:

SMSDREAMER2007
08-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Just a reminder...Our weigh in days are sunday's, Your weight is due by 11:59 PDT ;) I will make a list of people who have not weighed in by then and that will be 1 freebie weigh in used.

kurisitaru
08-07-2011, 05:27 PM
DivineFidelity: This might make you laugh, but I was just scrolling threw this thread not reading and I got to your pic and my first thought was: "DAMN, I wish I could look cute in that hair cut..." ><
Also, Rated is right, your skin tone is so perfect it makes the acne infested kids jealous! Just think, this time next year, that picture will be a "remember when I was [insert weight] Can't believe how much has changed!"
I use pics all the time, and looking back on the ones when I was just 15lbs heavier, seems like a life time ago and I can see the change.

ANYWAY
I am trying to incorporate more fish in my diet, more spinach and broccoli, and more almonds. /nod nod
I have an issue with fiber/iron and vitamin E. I'm deficient in it to say... I just get 100% of all my other nutrient intakes for the week and month (according to fit day) and those always fall short. (I seem to get around 80% of what I should be getting).

DivineFidelity
08-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Question. Do any of you take multivitamins or anything? I've been having a lot of muscle cramps and charlie horses and just feeling generally tired so I've just started (as of yesterday) taking a multivitamin and a calcium supplement. I'm already seeing a difference. I don't feel as achy and I'm not as tired. If you do take something, what do you take? What brand and stuff? I found the One a Day Women's multivitamins laying around my room, so I'm taking one of those with a calcium supplement daily. I'm just trying to see if that is good or if there is something better out there.

KittyKat1465
08-07-2011, 09:46 PM
I take a One A Day Women's Active Metabolism multivitamin and a B-Complex 50 every morning. No problems with tiredness, cramping, or charlie horses.

ruby5839
08-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Hey ladies! I wanted to comment of sushi. I think it's one of the healthiest take-out choices out there provided you're not eating deep-fried, tempera battered, mayo covered rolls.

I love sashimi and spicy tuna/salmon rolls and the place I go to has a great deal on an 18-piece spicy maki combo. I usually try to split that between two days, but in my last post earlier this week I ate it all in one sitting. I count calories and a one 8-piece roll is about 250-300 calories, so I wasn't happy about eating 75% of my daily calories allowance in one meal! I consider that to be a binge. The tough thing with sushi is you just pop them into your mouth and don't realize how stuffed you are until later. Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that.

I just got back from a girls weekend trip to Montreal! It was an amazing time filled with sightseeing, shopping, drinking and eating decadent meals. I tried to prep for it this week and was going straight from work to workout! I got in yoga, pilates and an intense strength training class that left me sore for 3 days. We also did a lot of walking and dancing.

I was sure it wasn't enough to counteract the drinking and late night pizza and poutine, but I weighed myself as soon as I got home even though I had just eaten dinner and I was down 1 lb!

I think I'll see a better number tomorrow morning and hopefully an even better loss next week.

@Divine: I also take One-A-Day Women's multivitamin though I don't notice any effects/benefits. That could be due to my low B12 level that I haven't yet bothered to go out and buy pills for. I'm pretty sure it's one of the reasons why I've been feeling so tired all the time.

Also, I hope the calcium supplements are working and your muscles aren't cramping anymore. I used to get muscle cramps when I worked out on days I hadn't had much water to drink and I found that drinking coconut water before a workout has helped me avoid them.

Hope you all had a good week and we make more progress this week!

SMSDREAMER2007
08-07-2011, 11:38 PM
I take a prenatal vitamin just because it is the most complete multivitamin out there (it has to be fore fetal growth) and is actually recommended for those of us with pcos. I also take cinnamon/chromium, fish oil, calcium and vitamin c. This way I know I am NEVER low on vitamins ;)

Reminder: 3.5 HRS LEFT TO WEIGH IN!

Brown
08-08-2011, 01:05 AM
I ate horribly today. Off plan, and all sorts of bad choices. Back on tomorrow, along with going to check out a gym nearby.

Vitamins, I take astaxanthin, CoQ10, B complex, cod liver oil liquid, cinnamon/chromium, oregano oil, a probiotic, and spirulina. I also use primarily coconut oil.

SugarRomeoTango4852
08-08-2011, 08:05 AM
Good Morning, Ladies. I have returned after terrible weekend for my plan. >_<

@ Divine: I take a Women's One A Day, A Vitamin D (1000mg), and a B12. I am always low on D (even taking this pill!) since I work a desk job. Also, I completely agree Kuri about your hair cut. I wish I could rock that.

@Kuri: Sweet, take me on vacation next time! Awesome that you had a good time and got in some exercise while on the trip!

@SmS: I understand the other vitamins you take but...cinnamon?

@Brown: That is all you have to do when you fall off, make sure you get back on! Don't worry, you aren't the only one who made horrible choices this weekend!

So I need ideas to make oatmeal yummy. Not the pre-packaged kinda. The regular Quaker Oat quick oats. Because I am eating some (I did put cinnamon in it but that's not really helping. >_< I want to try and incorporate it into my regular diet because it is good for you...I think.

DivineFidelity
08-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks for all of the input guys! I might look into some of the other vitamins that you guys have suggested. =D

@Kuri - Thanks so much! I was 180 pounds when I cut it all off and I've been starting to think that I look a little strange with it short since I've grown my second chin back (lol), but it's nice to hear that it doesn't look too bad. I'll be growing it back over the next year, but not because I don't like it short. In August 2012 I'll be quitting my job and going back as a full time student to Sam Houston State University (right now i'm doing online classes at the local community college to finish my associates degree) to get my Bachelors....and in like the 2 years that I'm there I want to be able to dye my hair every color under the rainbow and get it out of my system....and then when I graduate I'll cut it all off really short again and stop dying it. It's just more fun to dye long hair. The best part is I don't have to worry about destroying my hair because I'm just going to cut it all off in the end. Thats also why I feel like I have to get on track now. I want to be a HEALTHY weight before I go back to school. I've got a year to lose somewhere between 94 and 99 pounds (because depending on how I feel when I get there I might lower my goal to 145)...and I think it's really going to take that whole year.

@Ruby- My legs are already feeling better. It didn't have anything to do with working out though, because I haven't done any working out. I'm waiting until after they take out my gallbladder on the 19th of August to start doing any working out. My back is killing me all of the time and I feel awful and sluggish, and I don't think there is much I can do to feel better until then. The calcium does seem to be helping though, and I didn't wake up last night with more cramps, so that's good!

Well, it's off to work I go. Today I'm going to be with the 18-24 month class because one of their teachers is out on vacation. There are 11 babies in the room and they are SO adorable. I will get some exercise in though because I get to lift babies A LOT today...and some of those kids are freaking heavy. lol.

My goal for today - I WILL drink all of my water. I haven't exactly been good about that....and I know my body needs it.

philana
08-08-2011, 10:43 AM
I don't take vitamins, if I notice a lack in something I usually just try and eat the food I need. But - if it works for you ladies, why not?

I am just really having the hardest time getting back on track. Even KNOWING that once I do I am gonna feel so great - it's like the constant rain here is really getting me down. It's the worst summer in my life ever. So much dark clouds and rain and I feel super annoyed by it. almost like I am the only one that's so affected by it. I just wanna crawl in bed and come out when the sun finally does. And the sun only comes out on moments that I am not off work. Uhg. /whine :p

Anyhow. After too many petit fours that a coworker brought in I think i'll just really force myself to the gym and for a run when I get home in about an hour and a half. I can't be hungry for dinner after all those petit fours and cheese strings.

Some motivation would be much loved! I am really unable to get myself properly going for a week now. ARGH. lol :dizzy:

girlonfire
08-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Wow, my weigh-in this week was SO not good. TMI warning ahead- I haven't done number two for a few days now and despite my chugging water/eating fiber, nothing is happening. Hopefully once I get things, uh, running smoothly my weight will drop.

SMSDREAMER2007
08-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Wow, my weigh-in this week was SO not good. TMI warning ahead- I haven't done number two for a few days now and despite my chugging water/eating fiber, nothing is happening. Hopefully once I get things, uh, running smoothly my weight will drop.

Chloe I am sorry but weigh ins were due by 11:59 PDT last night. Therefore it is counted as 1 out of 2 freebies.

I am now closing this thread...week 2 will be up soon.