100 lb. Club - Trying to make the best of one of the worst days I can remember...

07-30-2011, 02:13 AM
Hi everyone. I'm sorry if this is a long, rambling story but I've kept so much bottled up the past day and a half that I just need to get it all out so I can calm down.. I'm about '' this close to just imploding. :(

So I finally buckled down and re-re-re-restarted sticking to a proper eating plan. I signed up for the gym last weekend, and ACTUALLY WENT the very next day! Small victory in itself, I'm *that* person all gyms love.. paying for 3 years and never using my membership..:o I did really good the first week, went to the gym again on Wednesday, busted out my first BodyPump class (still hurting!) and even managed to research my way into a sub-300 calorie meal at Chevy's when we met some friends for dinner on Thursday night. :carrot:

We got home around 11:30pm. DH spots an empty Orbit gum packet in front of our dog, Roxy's, bed - and makes a laughing remark that if she farts bubbles for the next few days, we know why. I'm just slightly paranoid normally, and started fretting that the gum might block her intestine, or cause tummy problems, etc, so he hops online to check.

It all went downhill from there. Apparently even TWO pieces of sugar-free gum can cause a 40-50lb dog to have crazy insulin spikes, get sick, get liver damage, or worst case, have liver failure. Roxy is 20lbs and ate TWELVE pieces ... wrappers and all. She was her normal hyper, happy self though so I called the vet to ask what they thought.. and when the doctor heard "Xylitol", her entire voice changed and she just goes "You NEED to bring her in, RIGHT NOW."

So we FLY down to the emergency place and get there by 12:10am. The doctor's initial prognosis was crippling.. Roxy was considered a critical patient, most dogs who ingest that much Xylitol usually die, and she's just a little thing so they were shocked she was reacting so well thus far. We had no idea when she had eaten the gum (possible 15hr window) so they were just taking the possible worst case scenario into account - that she had just consumed it before we got home and would get her "crash" later. She was going to be hooked up on glucose IVs, supplemented with phosphorus and potassium, and needed liver protectorant to try to offset her liver failing from the, essentially, huge amount of poison she had eaten.

She has to remain there until Sunday night or Monday morning - it's been less than 24 hours and our bills already total over $2000. :(:( I am tired, stressed out, DEPRESSED (i love that dog with my life), and so lost because I can't *do* anything... she could turn on a dime and go from being great to dying in 5 minutes if her liver decides it can't handle it :( I don't even know how we're going to afford this - we were making really good progress paying down our debt and I was finally starting to feel like I could breathe and this is just going to cripple us :(

In spite of it all, I've managed to remain on plan.. my sleep is shot beyond all **** :tired:, but I ate some oatmeal this morning, slept a few hours (kept waking up to call and see how she was doing because they told me to keep in touch since this is the critical period), had some crockpot chicken for lunch, and even forced myself to go to the gym this evening. Really, REALLY didn't want to do it but I figured it would be a good way to take my mind off things for a while... I tried my first Zumba class, too. :carrot: Turns out I have three left feet but hey, it was fun and I really needed the mental release for a while.

I'm just hoping and praying things will be okay. I don't usually get this scared about stuff but just this feeling of absolute helplessness is killing me. And I keep blaming myself, wondering if maybe we had come back home at 6pm like we usually do instead of meeting friends for dinner, perhaps we could have prevented this??? I don't know. :( Ugh. But I'm proud I'm sticking to my plan at the very least.. I don't need to feel like crap on top of everything else for giving in to my emotions and stuffing my face full of cheesecake or the like.

Thank you for reading all this :hug: Again, sorry it's so long but I didn't really have anyone else to turn to who would understand (my DH is about as torn-up about this as I am and I don't want to rehash it) and you guys are some of the most amazing support anyone could ask for.

07-30-2011, 05:19 AM
I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope your dog pulls through, and great job not using this stress as an excuse to go off plan. Hang in there!

07-30-2011, 07:23 AM
Best of luck to you and your dog, and I hope she comes through as well as possible. Been there, one of my dogs decided to grab a bottle of Aleve off the nightstand not too long ago, and we went through something similar. You have my utmost sympathies, and I think we'll be banning products with xylitol from our house.

07-30-2011, 07:44 AM
I hope all turns out well for your dog. CONGRATULATIONS for staying on plan through out this stress. As far as the debt goes...you will just need to take it one baby step at a time and continue tackling it. Have you ever heard of Dave Ramsey? He is a financial talk show guy, who is a straight talker, and I LOVE. Listening to him helped my husband and I get out of debt a few years back, and I will always be thankful to him.

07-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Sorry to hear of this, hope your dog recovers conpletely.

07-30-2011, 09:00 AM
:( :hug:

07-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Saying a prayer for your baby dog. Hugs.

07-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Chantelle - I'm so sorry for the problems you're facing with the dog. I don't have a dog and am generally unaware of what can cause them harm. I would never have thought to look at xylitol, though I did look it up and with all the warnings out there, I'm sure your vet is very well informed.

My prayers go out to you. Try to stay calm and focused. Keep to your normal routine as closely as possible, and DO NOT allow yourself to "what if" yourself into a guilt trip. What if you had been in the next room / in the yard for a minute / etc. / and still didn't notice for hours that the gum was gone? Accidents happen. Please don't put guilt on top of all the other emotions you're dealing with right now.


07-30-2011, 01:41 PM
So sorry about your dog. I couldn't imagine the stress and worry. I am so impressed you're staying on plan and doing so well! Keep it up and keep us updated on your dog.

07-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Many strong women I know would still have crumbled under this kind of pressure. Congratulations on sticking to your plan and not letting it derail you! :hug: I know how devastating it is to have an emergency like this with a beloved pet. I also know how crippling the debt can be for emergency veteranary care. I'm so very sorry you are going through this and I truly hope that your dog makes it through this okay. Keep coming here for support and finding positive ways to distract from your frustrations and heartache. I know it's hard.. but you're doing amazing! Keep going strong. Your hubby and your doggy need you! :hug: We're here for you, hon!

07-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Congrats to you for stayin on plan. I will be praying for your furbaby.

07-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Well done for staying on plan through all the stress and worry. I do hope your dog is OK.

07-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Chantelle - any news? Been thinking about you all day. Hope all is well.


07-30-2011, 09:40 PM
I am praying for your dog. My two dogs mean so much to me, so I could not image what your are going through.

07-30-2011, 09:41 PM
I hope everything works out all right, and I'm so impressed that you've still managed to stay on track!

April Snow
07-30-2011, 11:02 PM
hope your puppers is doing ok now!!

07-31-2011, 12:43 AM

07-31-2011, 02:25 AM
I really hope you've gotten some good news about your baby. Without sounding too condescending, I'm proud of you for staying true to your goals during such an emotionally stressful time. :hug:

07-31-2011, 03:31 AM
I know this feeling all to well. 12 years I have lived here in the country.. My dog is 15. 3 months ago he was attacked by something. It didn't seem that bad at first, but when we got to the vet the next day the news was horrifying. He looked like a cactus with all the drainage for all the wounds and rips and tears he had to have stitched up. Within days he started to smell like rotten meat. It wasn't until one vet appt we found out. He was rotting. 3 surgeries later he had a foot of skin more then a finger width deep removed due to being severely damaged. The nerves under his armpits were damaged and there was no way to tell if he would ever walk again. The prognosis was heartbreaking. I couldn't look at him without crying. For all the pain he was in, all the meds he had to take, all the vet visits he had to go to I thought for sure putting him down would be the best thing for him. My Friend had convinced me it was the best thing and the vet was only greedy in wanting to keep him alive.

Thank god my Vet had faith and my husband had faith when I didn't. 3 months later Jack is 110% normal. The skin and wound he had to have removed is still healing. but now it is less then two fingers in width and length and so far he has absolutely No scaring whatsoever. Jack is truly a Miracle Dog. A saint in dogs clothing. Even the arthritic hip he had has healed with the meds he was on. We change his bandages every 3 days and every 3 days I am amazed by the miracle of healing. I wouldn't have imagined a foot of skin 2 inches thick could heal and grew fur back and never be noticeable. If possible Jack is spunkier then ever and takes his job as guard dog very seriously.

For awhile there he was afraid of the woods and whatever was in there that got him, but now he is as bold as ever.

Animals are amazing at what they can come back from.

07-31-2011, 10:36 AM
Oh my...do we have an update?

07-31-2011, 08:24 PM
Thank you all *SO* much for your encouragement and support - I can't even begin to tell you how much it means to me. My DH and I are complete opposites in how we handle stress... I freak out and have a meltdown at the beginning then buckle down and just face things head-on from there on out. He tends to be very calm and controlled but then has the occasional day where the emotions just hit him all at once and he gets withdrawn and depressed. I guess it works in our favor that we both don't go on the emotional rollercoaster at the same time, but all of you are helping so much in keeping my mental state balanced. Thank you.

It's been quite a ride so far with Roxy. We visited her yesterday and she was overjoyed to see us.. I think on top of everything else I was crippled with guilt that we basically came home, saw her for 5 minutes, then "dumped" her at the vet for several days. I was probably projecting more than anything, now that I think about it, but still. Her prognosis so far has been beyond baffling.. the ER docs are amazed that this little bundle of fire and energy didn't just keel over the first night after eating that much gum.

We got our hopes up last night though, one of the night doctors told me that if her glucose level kept holding steady as they weaned her off the drip that she would be able to come home today... they dropped it from 15mg to 10mg and her blood sugar dropped from 98 to 43 within an hour :( 120-130 is normal, anything below 60 is a "Hmmm.." point, < 40 is dangerous and < 30 is critical. In other words, she isn't quite able to hold her own yet, so she's being held another night and they'll reevaluate her tomorrow.

I'm torn between hoping and praying for her to come home and wanting to keep her there for as long as possible - I keep thinking that if we get her back tomorrow, we might come home from work and she'll be unconscious or dead because her sugar level crashed or her liver failed during the day.. ugh. Just trying to think positive and keep my head up for now :/ She'll be having another blood panel done in about 3hrs so we will know more then.

:hug: to all of you!!

Ksquared - OMG poor Jack! I'm so glad that your husband had faith in your vet, that must have been absolutely devastating though. :( I'm so glad he's doing okay now. :hug: And you're right, it really is amazing at what they can bounce back from. I'm counting down because we're coming up on the end of the "critical period" where Roxy's liver is at the most risk, so with any luck she gets through this relatively unscathed. I can handle giving her pills everyday if I have to, I just would die inside if I lost her. Although I think I died inside anyway when the receptionist gave me an additional estimate for the next night's care :tired:

envelope - I've heard of him but haven't listened to any of his stuff before, honestly. I'll have to see what I can find out, right now every little bit of advice helps! Thank you for suggesting him, and congratulations to you and your hubby for being debt-free! I can just imagine how liberating that has to feel! :)

Edit: Forgot to add.. been staying true to my plan. :) I went to the gym last night with a friend at 8pm, and then tried my first Spin/RPM class today at 11:30..OMG my legs and butt are on FIRE! Even my arms hurt! I didn't think your arms would hurt from a Spin class but that shows you how much I know lol.

I spent the evening cleaning out the fridge and preparing food for the week too to ofset all the back-and-forth to the vet that we may end up doing....made a giant crock-pot of steel cut oats, cleaned out all the limp-but-still-useable (don't you hate those?) veggies in the fridge, tossed them into a big pot of water and then pureed the heck out of it to make a surprisingly tasty soup, and made several batches of southwestern chicken that I portioned and froze as well. So at the very least I have NO excuse to stop at Taco Bell or McDonalds on the way home because I'm "hungry and there's nothing in the fridge to eat". Yay for trying to be proactive! I feel pretty accomplished at least :)

07-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Good luck!!!! Sending you some from PA

07-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Best wishes to little Roxy!! and congrats to you for sticking to your plan! As for the debt...it does suck, but hopefully they will work out a payment plan with you. I'm doing it with 2 hospitals for my husband's accident last October, he'll be paid off in a couple years :devil:

I might start another thread about animal insurance...? as we all love our furbabies so much and money shouldn't be a barrier to treatment.

07-31-2011, 09:39 PM
don't feel sorry for not visiting her. She doesn't understand you are "visiting" and thinks she is going home every time she sees you.

Hope she makes a quick recovery. You posting here may have saved a few dogs lives. I had no idea sugar free gum could kill a dog.

08-01-2011, 04:57 PM
I just wanted to post a quick update - Roxy comes home tonight!!! :cheer::cheer::cheer: The vet said she did get a slight fever spike last night but that's a normal reaction to having had a catheter in for over 72hrs, so they switched legs and gave her a dose of antibiotics, but she's FINE! :D:D:D We'll have to keep her on pills for her liver for a month and her antibiotics for a week but thank god that's all. DH and I have decided to mark 08/01 as her birthday from here on out since she was adopted from a shelter and I have no idea when her birthday is otherwise lol.

THANK YOU for all your support and encouragement. 3FCers are beyond amazing :hug:

08-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Woo hoo! That's beyond great news! Yay, Roxy! And how amazing are you that you stayed on plan all this time? Now come the post-chaotic episode challenge. And I have no doubt you're up for that one as well. =)

08-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Chantelle - That is awesome news!!! I can't even imagine the horror of emotion you went through! I know our little white furball is just like one of our kiddos (3 kids, 1 white furball, lol) and they are helpless just like the kiddos...depending on us for everything. I think calling Aug 1st the new birthday is very fitting!!!! It's the miraculous rebirth! How wonderful?!? Something in your gut told you "danger" and you and your DH followed through... you should feel no guilt, as you were the ones who SAVED that lil pup's life! *hugs* I am so glad to hear it is all going to be ok....and great job staying on plan! That's incredible strength!

08-02-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm so glad your pups is okay!

08-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Im SO glad Roxy gets to come home!! That would terrify me. I have a 10month old furbaby of my own, who is my whole world (well..along with my kids lol) I wouldnt know what to you do..but you are amazing! You handled it and even stayed on plan!! Good for you! So proud of you!!

08-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm so glad Roxy is doing well! I know all too well the horror and deep sadness you were feeling. I am so impressed that you handled it all and stayed on plan...I haven't been able to do that when my furbabies have been seriously ill. :hug: to you and :hug: to Roxy.

08-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Wow...reading through this post sent me on a roller coaster of emotions! I am sooooooo glad to hear everything is going to be ok!

08-02-2011, 09:28 PM
I totally feel you. One of my dogs had $6000 surgery (bloat) a few years ago and I'm still paying off that credit card. I hope your baby is OK. It's so terrifying when there's nothing you can do but wait and see. Sending healing drool!