Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 11:20 PM   #1  
Thursday Lady

Angry Thursday Chatters

Greetings Losers!

Our old thread was getting very long and so here we go again.
If you are new here, please join us in our quest for a healthier life and a slimmer one!

I did pretty good today. I didn't journal but wasn't too bad. I need to drink more water tomorrow. I need to exercise tomorrow.

Does anyone have a short-term goal? I do.
By Valentine's Day, I hope to have thinner, trimmer arms. I'm going to use my husband's dumb bells to build up my arms and get rid of that unwanted flab.

Tina
Old 01-18-2003, 11:27 PM   #2  
Susan

Tina, Thanks for starting us off again.
I hadn't thought of a short term goal.... I'll have think about that one. I think I would just like to see a lower number on the scale. That would make me very happy!!!

Susan
Old 01-20-2003, 02:30 PM   #3  
Thursday Lady

Happy Monday!!!

I hope everyone is having a good first day of the work week. I know that schools are out and lots of places are closed.

Take it easy,
Tina
Old 01-20-2003, 04:48 PM   #4  
Susan

Howdy!!
Hope everyone is having a great day. It is absolutely beautiful here. Wish I could get out and work in the flower beds. Hopefully I'll be able to soon.

For the last week, I've been really watching what I eat. I decided that carbs are my problems so I've cut most of the out. Being white flour, sugars etc. I'm still eating fruits and veggies. I've also been eating Nature's Own Whole Wheat/Sugar Free bread. Well, I've lost 7 pounds since last Monday. I know that it probably isn't really all because of that but at least it's a start. I'm so scared that I'll be diabetic like my Daddy, I'm his little clone. So my goal is to do everything in my power NOT to get it!!! I'll get off my soap box now....

Have a wonderful day. Hope everyone is doing something fun!

Susan
Old 01-20-2003, 06:46 PM   #5  

Short term goal? Hmmmmmmmmmm. By the next time I get measured at Curves, I'd like to be down 5 more pounds and have lost 3 inches. I think I can do that. I don't get measured again until Feb. 15. I hate to set myself up for failure, so I'll go "easy" on myself. lol

Curves is having somekind of a contest in Feb. See who can lose the most inches, pounds, fat pounds or whatever. I signed up. What the heck!

I don't remember if I told you guys back before Thanksgiving about my cousin's husband. He and a friend stopped for a sandwich and a beer after work. Some other guys were in the place and had been drinking quite a bit I guess. The men were discussing Nascar. Larry made a comment that one of the other men didn't like. He got up, hit Larry in the face, Larry fell, hit his head on a table and then the floor. We didn't think he was going to make it. After Christmas, he was saying a couple words and had actually taken a couple steps. Last week he caught a virus. There was a blood clot, and he had a massive heart attack and died. 43 years old. We are all just sick. Sandra loses her husband, and her brother (my cousin Chuck) probably isn't going to live much longer (cancer). I haven't given up on all of my prayers though. Chuck's wife said they are still waiting for that miracle to happen.

Please tell all of your family members how much they mean to you. Life is too short.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:08 PM   #6  
Susan

Tammy,
I am so sorry for your cousin and your family. You are in my prayers. Your family has definitely been though a lot. You are right life is too short! We all need to appreciate each other and let your loved ones know how much they mean. If you were close I'd give you a hug. I know today was a hard day for you.

Hugs,
Susan
Old 01-20-2003, 10:06 PM   #7  
Find a Way

Tina - I have two short-term goals that are rather ambitious but won't throw me off if I don't make them. I'd like to be in the 230s (239.9 will do) for DH's b-day on the 31st of this month, and I'd like to reach my 10% by V-day.

Susan - Yowza!! Guess carbs were causing some issues for you. I too am trying to limit the processed carbs as much as possible. I'm liking my grains and legumes quite a bit, and the large amount of veggies I've been ingesting.

Tammy - during my travels I've seen enough and met enough different people to know how lucky I am. Had a friend that was imprisoned in South Africa when she was 12, a few friends with cancer, helped during Operation Baby Lift when I lived in the Philippines and saw kids whose parents had thrown them on the plane so they could get out of Vietnam and Cambodia. I'm always aware of what a good life I have and how great my family and friends are.

Today was a great day outside - 63 degrees!! Problem is, it's stressing out the plants in Denver cause of the drought. We'll pay for the good weather down the road. WE NEED SNOW!!!! Pushed the ankle a little too much so I'm going to give up walking for a few days and hit the elliptical trainer at the gym. I think the no-impact will help a lot.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:36 PM   #8  
Thursday Lady

Does anyone have any good exercises to get rid of flabby arms? I know we aren't supposed to spot reduce but I know there must be some exercises.

Tammy, I was thinking about you today. I'm very sorry for all the sorrow. You are in my prayers.

Cynthia, it sounds like you have lived a very exciting life---and still are!
I'm betting you make that goal by your husband's birthday.

Susan, WOW is all I can say about your loss. I wish I could take off 7 pounds in a week's time.

Anyone else want to share a short-term goal?????

Tina
Old 01-21-2003, 09:06 AM   #9  
Susan

Hi All,

I'm going in to work today at noon. I have a meeting today and tomorrow so my morning is free. Pat still won't let me drive. He is just being a little over protective but I'm not going to complain as long as he doesn't mind toting me back and forth.

Tammy, how are you doing today? How is your family doing?

Cindy, Girl you done it all!!! Did you live in the Phillipines? I'd like to come to Denver some day. I've never been there. Do take it easy on your ankle so it doesn't flair up again.

Tina, I have an exercise so bear with me while I try to explain. Take a light weight in your hand and lift your arm up over your head. Take your other arm and support the back of your upper arm. Now with the weight in your hand bend it behind your head slowly and then straight back up. Then switch hands.

Another one is where you take a weight and hold it with both hand and put it up over and behind your head with the weight back behind you. Then you lift it up and go back down. Not sure if I explained that one very good.

I learned these when I had a personal trainer. Don't you like the way my explainations are so technical?

Have a great day.
Susan
Old 01-21-2003, 10:28 PM   #10  
Find a Way

Tina - sounds like Susan is describing tricep exercises. Those are good, but make sure to do the biceps as well so that you exercise both sides, so to speak. You could do bicep curls with the same weights, though I'll bet your biceps are a little stronger.

Susan - dad was stationed in the Philippines from 74 - 76, and of course us with him. I was technically too young at the time to help with Operation Babylift, but mom lied about my age because she knew I was mature enough and that it would be a good experience for me. You would not believe the humanity that came into Clark Air Base. We had hangers full of babies and little children. And a 'tent city' was put up for the adults and families in a big field. Marcos wanted them out ASAP, though, and none of the military families were allowed to adopt any of the orphans.

I went to the gym and got on the elliptical trainer - MUCH better for the ankle and a better workout for my lungs as well. Thought I was gonna die the last 5 minutes or so But the ankle held up great, didn't hurt it at all. So I'll do that again tomorrow. Need to make the membership worth the money anyway.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:34 PM   #11  
Find a Way

Hey guys, had to weigh in early since we leave tomorrow morning. I'll be back posting next Tuesday!! I've bought food for the plane (don't plan to gain, man, plan to lose) and am bringing some exercise gear. We are staying at a Sheraton for a couple of the nights and I know they have an exercise room. Plus there will be lots of walking. Wish me luck on the 360+ step climb up the Belfry in Bruges, Belgium. You are supposed to get a great view of one of Europe's most beautiful cities from there, so I really need to make it!!

Good weekend all! Have to pack and find the d@mn passports.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:43 AM   #12  

Cynthia, hope your ankle held up on your trip! You have had so many adventures in your life. Those are things I've never done and never will do.

The funeral was tough Monday. Tim went with me, and he really took it hard. He could hardly even talk to Nathan (the son). He and Tim went to elementary school together before we moved. Hard time for all of us.

We are out of school today. 2 degrees and wind chills of -10 to -20. We had a bus break down on the road one day last week in the cold, and today's temps are much worse. All of the school districts around are closed. It won't surprise me if we are closed tomorrow too.

Well, since I'm home I guess I should get something done. Laundry is calling my name, very faintly though so maybe I can ignore it!!! lol
Old 01-24-2003, 12:22 AM   #13  
Thursday Team

Tammy sorry to hear of your loss, glad to know that Tim was able to be there for you, and you for him at the funeral.

Sounds like your weather was similar to ours on Thurs. It was Zero degress out at 6am.. with wind chills in the negatives. But unlike you, we still had school...hey not fair

Cindy hope you have fun on your vacation, take it easy on the ankle while your climbing all them stairs!

Susan, great description on how to do them upper arm excersices. I have a book which basically describes them the same way...(and has a pic to follow ) Enjoy all the pampering and catering that Pat will give you while you're re-couping.

Tina, good luck with them arm excersices!

As for me, I might survive the month of Jan I just got over being sick with what ever it was...flu stuff... and then I get food poisoning... LOL. I'm better now, and I'm ready to go onto Feb! Is it possible to just skip over the last week of Jan?
Dee
Old 01-24-2003, 11:15 AM   #14  
Thursday Lady

Brrr....... That's all I have to say!!!! well, not really.
Wow, Cynthia is having quite a trip!

I haven't been getting notices of posts to this thread. I checked and I'm still subscribed. Hmmm????

Susan, thanks for the exercises. I'm doing them and hope they are helping. Take it easy on that knee. Is it Monday when you go back to the doctor?

Dee, you've had quite a time, girl. I hope you have a fantastic last week of Jan. and a great Feb.

Tammy, I'm so sorry Tim had to go through all this. It's hard to expose them to such sorrow at that age. Well, it's not easy on us at any age. How are you feeling? Any more reminants of bronchitis?

Maureen, are you frozen up there?
Kady, Viola, everyone!!!-- how are y'all doing?

Sis, I suspect you are snowed in.

It's actually below freezing here and has been for about 14 hrs. Okay, okay, that's enough.
I just walked for 35 min. on my treadmill and did my arm exercises. Now it's time to have some fun.----I've got to give my cat his medicine. Fortunately, the medicine doesn't have any flavor and I can mix it in his food.

I've written a book.
Bye for now,
Tina
Old 01-24-2003, 02:37 PM   #15  
Susan

Hi Friends,

AN IRISH FRIENDSHIP WISH
May there always be work for your hands to do;
May your purse always hold a coin or two;
May the sun always shine on your windowpane;
May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain;
May the hand of a friend always be near you;
May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.

AND AN IRISH BLESSING
May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back;
May the sun shine warm upon your face, and the rains fall soft upon your fields; And until we meet again, May GOD hold you in the palm of HIS hand.

Enjoy,
Susan

_
Closed Thread