WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 07-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #1  

Question Is there such a thing as too many carbs?

So I have been following WW for about a month now, but I am not using PP, I am using the old points system. Unfortunately, I made a bet with a friend that I would weigh myself for a month so I have no idea if it's working or not. I do see a slight difference in the mirror and in some clothing but some days I look the same as always. I have been using the stationary bike 6 days a week and I am eating my activity points now that I earn 2-3, whereas before if I only earned 1 I wouldn't worry about eating it. Here's the real question... how many carbs do you normally eat in a day?I have some wonderful sara lee bread that is 1 point for 2 slices and I find myself eating up to 6 slices a day depending on what I'm in the mood to eat. I am not a big rice person so sometimes I'll have a 1/2 cup of rice if I don't want bread, or I'll eat one bagel thin for 2 points. Even have cereal or Kashi waffles for breakfast too. So is there such a thing as too many carbs, even though they are whole grain? Should I cut back on the amount I'm eating? Even if I am staying within points everyday? Help please! Thanx
Selena125t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

In short. No...with a but.

WW points are made so that you can choose to eat what you'd like as long as you stay within the points. If you're doing that, then it's fine.

That being said, ANY plan needs a little individual tweaking to fit our lives and bodies best. One person may be able to eat a lot of carbs and as long as they stay within points they're losing weight or inches and going along just find.

Another person, however, may find that eating carbs makes them hungrier or that they lose best when they limit certain foods.

You aren't doing anything wrong or against the plan. That being said, when you do weigh yourself at the end of the month, you can see how you're eating is affecting your body.

Also, remember to measure yourself and take pictures. The scale isn't the only form of progress we see along our journeys!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/196/160

Height: 5'3"

I'm on PP and I don't worry about carbs - I try to eat a balanced diet - lots of fruits and veggies. I figure as long as I stay within the points it will be okay. I did however switch bread and eat the WW whole wheat bread instead of what i was eating before. WW only has 2 points for a serving (two slices) and the old bread was 4 points for two slices. I'd rather a lot those two points elsewhere!
Lucky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #4  
Less of a Better Me

Well, it depends. If you read about low carb diets there is a theory that carbs do increase weight gain more than similar calories that are non-carbs. Also, there is theory that eating carbs stimulates the appetite so you eat more calories.

I follow WW but I recently moved to low carb eating. Right now I eat between 40 to 60 net carbs a day (it was at 30-40 the first couple of weeks) and I do find I am losing weight easier and finding it easier to stick with. I used to be a major grain eater and really have cut back. Right now at 4 weeks into it I do eat veggies and some berries (not a fruit person) and 1 to 2 whole grain servings a day. I'm severely limiting refined carbs. I do think that people vary in how sensitive they are to carbs. Some people might need to eat much fewer carbs than me, others probably aren't sensitive at all.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #5  
KKB

Default Maybe

Studies show that some of us have more difficulty losing weight unless carbs are severely limited.
Cut the carbs way back & see what happens! (can't hurt!)
KKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #6  

Yes there is such a thing as too many carbs if it means you aren't getting in fruits, veggies, dairy, good fats, and protein. 6 slices of bread is too many in a day. And bread is PROCESSED whole grains and not nearly as good for you are real whole grains such as brown rice, quinona, bulgar, barley, etc. Carbs also cause 4 grams of water to be stored with every 1 gram of carb eaten. Carbs cause an insulin spike and after an hour or two you are hungry again.

Too many carbs - yes!

And lets get WW correct - it's about eating your Good Health Guidelines before you can just eat what you want. Just staying within your points is not enough.

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 08-31-2011 at 10:30 AM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #7  
I'm more fab than flab <3

S/C/G: 354.2/334.6/150

Height: 168

ok so this is my very basic knowledge of the workings of carbs. dont take it is the be all and end all cause im not a doctor

carbs simply put are sugars mainly glucose (glucose = good, fructose or sacrose = bad. unless found in fruit and veg cause it is cancelled out by fibre) and when that is broken down by the liver it stores (in part) as fat. simply put the more carbs you eat the more the liver stores it away as fat. now one or two slices is perfectly ok but 6 is a mental amount.

ps....i know a woman who lost all the weight but ended up with high blood pressure and cholestrol because although she was eating within her points she was eating the wrong things such as sweets etc. So think balance and just remember to divide your plate up. fill 1/2 with veg and a 1/4 with meat and a 1/4 with carbs such as rice pasta bread or whatever you cant go very wrong with that unless you have a massive plate :P

good luck xx

Last edited by becckii; 09-21-2011 at 04:20 PM.
becckii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I do a mixture of SBD and WW, I choose lower carb veggies and fruits and eat more veggies and whole grains and tend to lose better.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote