Ideal Protein Diet - Kolrahbi fries and a few questions??

Jasesgirl
07-28-2011, 03:49 AM
Okay, so today i went to the store, got my kholrabi and made french fries out of them. I swigged a bit of olive oil on and some seasoning and stuck em in and they came out great..tasted pretty darn close to a french fry and even had the texture and look of one.. So i get brownie points for trying a new veggie ive never eaten before..

HOWEVER!!!

I just about died when i went online to find out the carb content..The total carb content for 1 cup of Kholrabi is 12 carbs..for 1 cup!!! and im thinkin to myself..Oh my gosh! Its like i just ate another restricted!! Did i blow it???

So here are my questions:

How is kholrabi allowed if its so high in carb count?
How do you only use 2 tsp of olive oil..because i had to use more olive oil then that to coat them..
Do you use this as a restricted veg? or a daily veg?

JoseyM
07-28-2011, 08:04 AM
Okay, so today i went to the store, got my kholrabi and made french fries out of them. I swigged a bit of olive oil on and some seasoning and stuck em in and they came out great..tasted pretty darn close to a french fry and even had the texture and look of one.. So i get brownie points for trying a new veggie ive never eaten before..

HOWEVER!!!

I just about died when i went online to find out the carb content..The total carb content for 1 cup of Kholrabi is 12 carbs..for 1 cup!!! and im thinkin to myself..Oh my gosh! Its like i just ate another restricted!! Did i blow it???

So here are my questions:

How is kholrabi allowed if its so high in carb count?
How do you only use 2 tsp of olive oil..because i had to use more olive oil then that to coat them..
Do you use this as a restricted veg? or a daily veg?
Great questions, I will look for replies, have not made these yet...you could also call/ask your coach.

petie
07-28-2011, 08:23 AM
I use low sodium chicken broth with EVOO to coat veggies.

2RIDEROLLERCOAST
07-28-2011, 10:01 AM
because they are moist enough I don't use evoo on them but pam spray the cookie sheet... sorry didn't know how high in carbs they are but they are about the same as cauliflower and broccoli as well. Will have to rethink the use of them, I usually only have them once a week. Thanks.

Jasesgirl
07-28-2011, 02:09 PM
hmmm...i wonder how much fibre is in it..cause 12 is the total carb not the net carb..and someone just told me that net carb is what we go by...so maybe its lower??

longdivision
07-28-2011, 02:39 PM
there are 5g of dietary fiber in 1 cup of Kohlrabi (one of my favorites!), so net carbs would be around 7, which really isn't that high... although, that doesn't seem quite right. seems like is should be lower, but i wouldn't worry about it because it is a select vegetable, so it might break down in a different way in your body.

Ruthxxx
07-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Fitday says there are only 8 carbs and 36 calories in a cup of raw kohlrabi and 5 grams of fiber. I'm not on IP but they sound good to me.

Princess Jessica
07-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Fitday says there are only 8 carbs and 36 calories in a cup of raw kohlrabi and 5 grams of fiber. I'm not on IP but they sound good to me.

These are about the same numbers I found too. They are very similar to turnips as far as nutrition info goes it looks like. I think they are fine. Besides, they are on the list... I wouldn't worry too much about numbers if you are following the program exactly.

2RIDEROLLERCOAST
07-28-2011, 09:12 PM
there are 5g of dietary fiber in 1 cup of Kohlrabi (one of my favorites!), so net carbs would be around 7, which really isn't that high... although, that doesn't seem quite right. seems like is should be lower, but i wouldn't worry about it because it is a select vegetable, so it might break down in a different way in your body.

Thanks Laura, as I love kohlrabi, and I have been bragging on how good the fries are... I thought it was real high after the first post and went to fitnesspal.. This is great... thanks.... I can have fries again and love it.

Purrfect
07-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Wow you have all sparked my interest, I have NO idea what this veggie is. What does it look like, and how do I pronounce it? I'm going to look up how to make them, it is looking like a helpful treat.

Purrfect
07-28-2011, 10:56 PM
because they are moist enough I don't use evoo on them but pam spray the cookie sheet... sorry didn't know how high in carbs they are but they are about the same as cauliflower and broccoli as well. Will have to rethink the use of them, I usually only have them once a week. Thanks.

I've looked and searched the recipe threads, but I can't find one for the fries. Could someone tell me how to make them?
Really cute dog, btw 2rider:D!!

wildflower613
07-29-2011, 12:04 AM
I would like this recipe too!!!!!

2RIDEROLLERCOAST
07-29-2011, 12:59 AM
okay so kohlrabi (pronounced coal rabi) I had never heard of it before and so I googled it... said the taste was between a potato and a cabbage... so I thought got to try it. It is a ugly vegetable... round green with little pointy bumps sticking out. I peel them and then slice them like you would fries, I then put bbq spice (smoked paprika, chili powder, a little splenda mixed together) over them and mix it up so they are all coated. I then spray evoo pam on my cookie sheet. Bake the same way you would the turnip fries. I usually roast at 425 for about 30 -45 minutes. I also turn them over at the 1/2 way point. If they are not crispy by 45 min. I would broil them a little. I find it is the closest thing I have found to potatoe fries. I am thinking this might make a nice mashed veggie too... something I will try next. If you don't like bbq spice just put whatever spice you like on it. Hope you like them.

wildflower613
07-31-2011, 12:41 AM
Haven't done these yet but for those that do...do you think that these would work to make hashbrowns as well? That just seems like it would be so yummy if it worked. I cannot find any Kohlrabi at our local grocery stores. Going to go the the Farmer's Market on Thursday hopefully have some luck finding some there.

Jasesgirl
07-31-2011, 04:03 AM
They could make good hash..but you would have to seriously grate or slice it...it can be tough to slice through at first.

2RIDEROLLERCOAST
07-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Haven't done these yet but for those that do...do you think that these would work to make hashbrowns as well? That just seems like it would be so yummy if it worked. I cannot find any Kohlrabi at our local grocery stores. Going to go the the Farmer's Market on Thursday hopefully have some luck finding some there.I had hashbrowns with my omlette for lunch... they shred just as easy as a potato after you cut off the stem. really good.:D

wildflower613
08-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Made my first attempt at these today. Not bad - I love the bbq flavor. (Now I really want to make them spiral like Arby's hehe) I sliced them really thin because I wanted them to be extra crispy. Well, I ended up burning quite a few of them so I think I will just let them be thick next time. Do they usually make your kitchen stink up like doodie? That also may be just because of the whole burning them thing! Just thought I would share my experience. Thanks for the recipe!

nikkib
08-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Made my first attempt at these today. Not bad - I love the bbq flavor. (Now I really want to make them spiral like Arby's hehe) I sliced them really thin because I wanted them to be extra crispy. Well, I ended up burning quite a few of them so I think I will just let them be thick next time. Do they usually make your kitchen stink up like doodie? That also may be just because of the whole burning them thing! Just thought I would share my experience. Thanks for the recipe!

HAHA I did the same thing and sliced them a little thinner thinking they would crisp better. Ya they did crisp up alright!! Yep I am going to go a little thicker too I think. They were good tho.

JackieGee
08-05-2011, 11:15 AM
I haven't been able to find any kohlrabi :(

thinkthin135
08-05-2011, 09:05 PM

I can't find this in any of our grocery stores either. Where do you all find them?

2RIDEROLLERCOAST
08-05-2011, 09:17 PM
In Edmonton there is a Produce store called H & W produce.. They sell fruit and vegetables, I went to two different ones this week to get kohlrabi...

I would google your area and see if they have a produce store and then see if they have them, if not they may be able to get them in for you.

woolberger
08-05-2011, 09:19 PM

I can't find this in any of our grocery stores either. Where do you all find them?

I went to Whole Foods and Albertson's and asked them to order Kohlrabi for me. Both stores were able to get some for me in 2 days. Just ask your market to order it for you. They want your business.

thinkthin135
08-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Thank you both for the suggestions - I will definately try that. I am very anxious to try them. I do turnip fries and I like those but everyone seems to really love the kolrabi fries.

patns
08-05-2011, 09:36 PM
In Edmonton there is a Produce store called H & W produce.. They sell fruit and vegetables, I went to two different ones this week to get kohlrabi...

I would google your area and see if they have a produce store and then see if they have them, if not they may be able to get them in for you.

Thanks for mention H&W in another thread. I went there the other day and their produce is great at a very good price. They had excellent Kohlrabi too.

Pat

2RIDEROLLERCOAST
08-05-2011, 09:37 PM
made kohlrabi chips tonight for supper, I now put them on a pizza stone and they get nice and crispy before they burn.... I think I found a replacement. for the real thing and may continue eating it for ever...

patns
08-05-2011, 09:39 PM

JG, it doesn't say on your posts where you are from. Finding stuff is different in Canada and the US so it helps to know what area the person asking is from. I hope you find the elusive kohlrabi. I had never noticed it before in the grocery store till I read about it on here.

Pat

2RIDEROLLERCOAST
08-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Pat, it has saved me so much money... the one in the north west is bigger and has more stuff... stopped again tonight to get kohlrabi and cilantro... I make a cilantro sauce to dip the chips in... and that place is so much cheaper then stores I always come out with a big bag usually under 20 dollars.

patns
08-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Hubby couldn't believe what I got for $5.00. And it was of the highest quality too. I would have got more but already had a lot of stuff in the fridge but it will defianately be a weekly stop.