Ideal Protein Diet - My diet coach threatened to 'kick me out' of the program!?!

kimstwart
07-27-2011, 03:03 PM
I have been on the IP diet for 4 weeks and stuck to the program 100%. I have lost over 12 pounds and 10 inches. The diet has been incredibly hard, but I've stuck to it, as I am seeing results and feeling a new lease on life. Yesterday I went to my weekly appointment elated about my progress. I am on my menstral cycle, so when I only lost a pound (but 4 inches) I wasn't all that concerned. I was stunned when my diet coach said "normally they would kick me off the program for a mere one pound loss. They only want people who are representing the program well with a 3 to 5 pound loss". I asked her if this was the office policy or IP's policy. She said it was IP's policy. I was floored. I was being told I was a failure, and the diet program didn't want me! I can't imagine telling someone who is trying so hard with obvious results that they 'might be kicked off the program' if they don't lose more by next week. I cancelled future appointments, and left completely devastated. Now I don't know what to do...can someone please tell me, did I go to the wrong clinic or is this IP's policy to 'kick someone off the program' because they only lost a pound?

Lovely
07-27-2011, 03:11 PM
I am horrified to think that any program would kick someone out when they're working so hard at sticking to plan.

Welcome to 3FC!

I have no experience with anything related to IP, however there is an IP area (under Diet Central) where you might be able to get a more specific answer from members.

I'm very sorry that one person said such a horrible thing. I completely disagree with them.

ANY progress. ANY step towards being healthier is a good one.

If you were enjoying that plan, I suggest finding a different center or coach. One who has the same positive outlook you need, and not a miserable attitude about all forms of progress.

The best thing I learned from 3FC is that progress comes in many forms, and we should be proud of all successes no matter the size. Frustration over things we can't control leads to quitting. Quitting leads to weight gain. So there's NO need to pile on guilt and disappointment.

swtbttrfly23
07-27-2011, 03:22 PM
I can't specifically speak to the IP program, but it sounds like a load of baloney to me. What weightloss program that's trying to make money off people losing weight would actually tell someone that their results (and clearly you are actually getting results, so congrats!!) are not fast enough? And frankly, telling someone they aren't losing weight fast enough is dangerous and unhealthy. I would think that if that actually was IP's specific company policy, they would be getting sued all over the place. Sounds very much made up to me.

If it were me, I would call into the center and ask for some other opinions from some other coaches. Or maybe call into a few centers a few towns away and ask them about that policy to see if it's actually a company policy or just something your coach said. Sounds like your coach is full of it.

CuteNcurls
07-27-2011, 03:26 PM
I am doing IP and have never heard this before. There a lot of people on here that have low losses some weeks and they are doing fantastic. This is definitely not an IP policy. After all, we're paying them a ridiculous amount of money to do this for ourselves...it's about making our lives better. Yes, we're all going to be success stories but I'm sure you didn't go into this program with the idea of becoming the clinic's spokesperson. Any success is good success.

I'd look for another clinic!

Abigail207
07-27-2011, 03:27 PM
:balloons::welcome::balloons:
The idea of loseing 4 pounds or more a week to me just is not practical and to me dose not sound like the safest way. Any weight lose should always be celebrated and losing any weight during your cycle to me is a victory in of its self :carrot:! So don't get discouraged and keep up with what you are doing:hug:!

astrophe
07-27-2011, 03:28 PM
I do not know anything about IP.

But seriously? You are succeeding and it is working for you, and they want to kick you out because it is not to THEIR time table?

You are not a dresser to put things in and out of drawers. You are ALIVE. Your body is healing, and healing takes it own time.

I'd call the office and get some clarity on the policy. Maybe it's this one employee that is in the wrong.

A.

Travel Gal
07-27-2011, 03:35 PM
This is horrible. I think you should find another IP center pronto. There will be weeks where you just don't lose as much-your quickest weight lost will be in the first few weeks, I think. After that, there is some fluctuation, but that doesn't mean you are not "representing" IP. My center said that if they can see that you're not committing and constantly cheating, they reserve the right to ask you to come back when you're ready to commit. Even that isn't necessarily "kicking' you out of the program completely, just asking you to come back when you're truly ready. Your clinic sounds like they are out solely for their reputation and not to be supportive and helpful to you, their client. Find another one...You'll be much happier.

MInewgoal
07-27-2011, 03:36 PM
That is certainly NOTHING that I've heard from others here. In fact, there have been a few that have gained on their TOM, and seriously...everyone loses at their own pace!

I think I'd be looking for a new coach.
That is definately NOT IP policy!

Maile
07-27-2011, 03:38 PM
I think your IP coach is totally wrong. Can you look for another IP coach in your area/ That was ridiculously negative and inappropriate. If you look at the IP forum..and look at people's signatures you will find people losing from 1 pound a week and more ON. I have never ever heard of any coach saying you have to lose 3-5 pounds and I have been doing IP for 14 weeks.
In my clinic a girl gained 3 pounds because she started to walk each day. The next week she lost 4 pounds,. Many women gain weight around TOM.

Don't give IP. It is a wonderful program. Try to find another clinic that is more supportive!!!

Gika
07-27-2011, 03:55 PM
I've had low losses despite following protocol 100%, though it's not the norm it happens, PLUS it could be TOM or a typical stall. When I signed up, the physician told me to expect a 2lb loss a week. So 1) Don't be discouraged by what she says, and 2) I would either have a serious talk with her about why she's assuming that you're cheating instead of doing her job or working with you on finding a way to maximize your loss or I would ditch her, find another clinic and then report her behavior to IP headquarters.

petie
07-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Yes, actually, they will kindly ask you to go elsewhere. Most certainly not as your coach has indicated though. Your coach is an idiot. IP wants success in their protocol thus success in weight loss numbers. If you continued with the program but refused to follow guidelines and began gaining weight and continued to gain weight you would not be a sucess story. You signed a contract. I am so sorry your coach has treated you like that. I'd let IP know, immediatley how you've been treated. Hit their website, that's how I found a clinic in my area. Congratulations on your great job so far and you were right on protocol.

redhead14
07-27-2011, 04:13 PM
That coach needs to be kicked out of the program!! I can tell that coach has NOT read the book, this program is more about inches than pounds lost. I had a one pound loss with 5 inches and my coach was jumping for joy!!
You stay strong and find a new coach.

MariaMaria
07-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Let me guess: The solution to your "inadequate" loss was more supplements.

It's the end of the month, and your "coach" has quotas to meet.

Anitanewdiet
07-27-2011, 04:25 PM
I would report her first then ask for another clinic with a reputation that make losing your weight make you not feel like a loser. I know we cant go to different IP personal without paying for the fee again. May be just in Canada though. I hope the clinnic you go to allows the transfer.....good luck

patns
07-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Please find any other clinic immediately!!! I just started this week, the lady who was coming out before me was in her 3rd week and was very heavy with resulting mobility issues. She was in her 3rd week and had a lower loss than first two weeks. The coach was very supportive and no did not suggest more supplements, the suggestion was more veggies and water. I heard all this because they continued their discussion as the coach helped her to her car.
There is no way I will lose 3-5 pounds every week, but I'm feeling great after just a few days. Your coach is an idiot.
I hope there are other clinics in your area.

Pat

kaplods
07-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Sadly, this "boot-camp" style attitude seems to be a disturbing trend across weight loss programs - I'm seeing increasingly unrealistic standards and expectations. I've read and heard more and more similar stores - and not just about weight loss counselors, but from doctors and dietitians and exercise coaches/instructors/personal trainers - people who should know better.

Call me crazy, but I suspect it's the influence of reality show television. Shows like The Biggest Loser and Extreme Makeover weight loss edition portray weight loss in a way that makes it seem like people only lose weight if they're screamed at, humiliated, insulted or threatened (and ideally all four).

This isn't the first time that the weight loss by abuse theory has been widely supported. From kindergarten through 5th grade, I was publically bullied, humiliated and verbally tortured by the P.E. coach (a very fat man himself). When I told my mother about it, she was initially outraged and went to the school to confront the teacher. Sadly, when the teacher explained to Mom that he was doing it to motivate me to lose weight, my parents were satisfied with that explanation and I was told that if I didn't like it, I needed to lose the weight.

Even as a very little kid, I knew that strategy didn't work for me. Being bullied and treated badly didn't inspire me to try harder, it only made me want to hide and eat. It made me hate all physical activity (except swimming, and I'm not sure why - since this is the activity most publically acceptable to shun - maybe I was just stubborn).

I tried to explain it to adults, but they wouldn't listen.

I had hoped that the days of people believing in weight loss by torture were over, but sadly they're not.

AuburnKate
07-27-2011, 04:33 PM
thats horrible! i am so sorry. even if you only lost 1 pound because you cheated, they should be encouraging of you to get back on track...slipups happen but especially because you were on your menstral cycle, thats a real reason. and a pound is good you cant always lose high numbers

how horrible. i am so sorry.

patns
07-27-2011, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=kaplods;3958977]Sadly, this "boot-camp" style attitude seems to be a disturbing trend across weight loss programs - I'm seeing increasingly unrealistic standards and expectations. I've read and heard more and more similar stores - and not just about weight loss counselors, but from doctors and dietitians and exercise coaches/instructors/personal trainers - people who should know better.

Call me crazy, but I suspect it's the influence of reality show television. Shows like The Biggest Loser and Extreme Makeover weight loss edition portray weight loss in a way that makes it seem like people only lose weight if they're screamed at, humiliated, insulted or threatened (and ideally all four).

Yes, call it the Jillian Micheals syndrome, I stopped watching BL because of her bullying.

karenfromtexas
07-27-2011, 04:56 PM
I agree with the concensus here:

1. You have made great progress so far. You're to be congratulated, not criticized. :hug:

2. Your coach sucks! To me, the most important part of being a great coach is being a chearleader for a client. Your coach fails this test miserably!

I hope you don't let the insensitive and unhelpful statements of one idiot turn you off of a great program. IP certainly seems to be working for you. If you want to continue with IP, I suggest finding another coach and reporting the stupid one to his/her supervisor and to corporate IP.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out for you!

Karen

Ishbel
07-27-2011, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE=kaplods;3958977]Sadly, this "boot-camp" style attitude seems to be a disturbing trend across weight loss programs - I'm seeing increasingly unrealistic standards and expectations. I've read and heard more and more similar stores - and not just about weight loss counselors, but from doctors and dietitians and exercise coaches/instructors/personal trainers - people who should know better.

Yes, call it the Jillian Micheals syndrome, I stopped watching BL because of her bullying.

I watched one episode of BL, I thought it was disgusting that during the 'your voted off' segment they had a 'plate of food' in front of them and when they were voted off the fridge that highlighted their name was turned off. Bullying never helped me lose weight.

I think you need a new coach, mine is gentle and sweet. However, I do know HER coach thinks she needs to be harder on her clients. She wasn't worried about my smaller weight losses because she knew I was focused and 'not cheating' she just encouraged me. Shop around for a new coach, this is about YOU finding the right fit. If I don't like a doctor I find a new one, same goes for coaches.

Bellamack
07-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Geezzzz, if you are 100% OP, what does the coach want you to do? Cut off an are? I have a great coach that understands middle age women problems and I have a faulty thyroid, and although I am on meds for thyroid, I still am a fairly slow loser.

You should report this to IP "higher ups" and congrats on your weight loss, thus far. You are doing Great!

Pxlkitty4
07-27-2011, 05:51 PM
I am guessing that your coach is new and that they are worried that their clients aren't doing as well as the program "promises"... My coach is more established, and said that we woudl lose "about 10lbs per month". I have done just that. If you have another choice for a clinic, go there. If not, call the IP main phone number and tell them what your coach said. We pay a lot of money for this program, and shouldn't be treated like that.

2manybits
07-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Now I don't know what to do...can someone please tell me, did I go to the wrong clinic or is this IP's policy to 'kick someone off the program' because they only lost a pound?

You are at the wrong place. As a guy there's no reason (other than falling off the wagon) that I should have had weight gains. It's happened twice though and not only did no one mention anything like that they are using before and after pictures of me for promotional material.

Sherwood
07-27-2011, 06:43 PM
I totally agree that you need a new clinic pronto! I'd go that step further though and report the clinic and your coach to IP on their website (either Canada or the U.S.). This may prevent someone else getting abused by an unethical/unknowledgable practitioner.

Watkat
07-27-2011, 06:47 PM
WOW! That is a horrid way to treat someone! I am so sorry you had to go though that!
Please get out of there. I hate to think of her treating all of her clients like this. You need to report her.

Pauley
07-27-2011, 09:26 PM
My coach actually had several weeks with only a .3 loss and she shares this with her clients to keep us from getting discouraged over a bad week or 2. My doctor (who sponsors the program) was also a slow loser at times. Obviously they have a much different philosophy than the terrible place you went. I hope you are able to find an alternative clinic in your area! At least you know you will get plenty of positive support on this site.

champaignsupernova
07-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Wow. I would certainly find a different coach/clinic AND report this coach. This is NOT what you are paying for- to be told you should be kicked out despite staying OP. I am sorry you have had to deal with such a poor excuse for a coach. Good luck.

kimstwart
07-27-2011, 10:17 PM
I am truly moved by the responses regarding the diet coach who threatened to kick me off the program. Thank you for the support and good advice!:)

2RIDEROLLERCOAST
07-28-2011, 12:15 AM
I have been on the IP diet for 4 weeks and stuck to the program 100%. I have lost over 12 pounds and 10 inches. The diet has been incredibly hard, but I've stuck to it, as I am seeing results and feeling a new lease on life. Yesterday I went to my weekly appointment elated about my progress. I am on my menstral cycle, so when I only lost a pound (but 4 inches) I wasn't all that concerned. I was stunned when my diet coach said "normally they would kick me off the program for a mere one pound loss. They only want people who are representing the program well with a 3 to 5 pound loss". I asked her if this was the office policy or IP's policy. She said it was IP's policy. I was floored. I was being told I was a failure, and the diet program didn't want me! I can't imagine telling someone who is trying so hard with obvious results that they 'might be kicked off the program' if they don't lose more by next week. I cancelled future appointments, and left completely devastated. Now I don't know what to do...can someone please tell me, did I go to the wrong clinic or is this IP's policy to 'kick someone off the program' because they only lost a pound?WOW... I can't believe that coach, apparently she isn't doing HER JOB right... please find another clinic, some clinics are in it for the money now when there are others that are really in it to help people.... Where are you located? Canada /US ? There is a very special lady on this forum that once she was just about completed her journey she opened her own clinic. JudoGirl can you give us some advice on this? do they really want to kick people out if they don't lose anything... man so many people on this site would be kicked out... I can't imagine after 20 wi I gained 4 lbs, I would have been devastated if they told me to get out....

Please find a reputable clinic and report your coach and the clinic, maybe they will lose their license from IP if that is their practice. Sounds like they want a 100% sucess rate. Not a good feeling, this program works and no one should be treated like that.

Calypso
07-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Where are you located, US or Canada?

30toloose
07-28-2011, 01:22 AM
I have been on the IP diet for 4 weeks and stuck to the program 100%. I have lost over 12 pounds and 10 inches. The diet has been incredibly hard, but I've stuck to it, as I am seeing results and feeling a new lease on life. Yesterday I went to my weekly appointment elated about my progress. I am on my menstral cycle, so when I only lost a pound (but 4 inches) I wasn't all that concerned. I was stunned when my diet coach said "normally they would kick me off the program for a mere one pound loss. They only want people who are representing the program well with a 3 to 5 pound loss". I asked her if this was the office policy or IP's policy. She said it was IP's policy. I was floored. I was being told I was a failure, and the diet program didn't want me! I can't imagine telling someone who is trying so hard with obvious results that they 'might be kicked off the program' if they don't lose more by next week. I cancelled future appointments, and left completely devastated. Now I don't know what to do...can someone please tell me, did I go to the wrong clinic or is this IP's policy to 'kick someone off the program' because they only lost a pound?

That is terrible. I'm only on day 4 but I can't imagine being told that. Try the July Newbie part II forum under Ideal Protein. That's the forum I hang out at and maybe some of the other's could give you some insight on your situation. My thought is you just need a different coach. keep your chin up and don't give up.

nblues
07-28-2011, 02:48 AM
I seriously would report your coach. She is an idiot. You lost a lot of weight in short period of time and that a great accomplishment, so don't let your coach destroy your state of mind. I am on IP and it took me 3 months to lose 20 lbs. KEEP WITH THE IP PROGRAM! You should be proud of yourself.

wheekers
07-28-2011, 01:02 PM
I stopped going to the weigh in center. I felt like nobody really cared too much. They never looked at my food diary. I saw a different person every time. I just weigh in a home now. But there is another clinic next to me I might try. I like the support of it but I get that from this board.

kcjohn
07-28-2011, 01:18 PM
I think you should find a new coach. I will however say that this is actually a message that has been sent to those being trained in IP. My coach sent me a similar message the weekend before Thanksgiving. Basically that they had their training and there is a no cheating policy and that he has the authority to kick people out of the program if they cheat because they want people to be representing the program well. They had this meeting because someone on a message board (AKA I'm sure it was the 3chicks boards) was talking trash about IP about not getting results but weren't sticking 100% to protocal. I think many of your coaches probably have heard similiar types of messages from Corporate but aren't stupid enough to actually think it's appropriate or even reasonable to tell their clients.

Find a new coach who actually understands it's not a given 3-5 pounds. My coach was really into why I would only lose 2.4 pounds one week. He was a pretty good coach but I just didn't like the money driven aspect of IP and essentially stopped going in January. I do think it's a great program worth getting as far as you can with weightloss. But they also need to realize there are other great programs that also have a lot of succesfull research on the insulin issue. Protein Power, Why we get Fat, Primal Blueprint, Paleolithic. Essentially they all have slightly different values but it all boils down to the same thing with varying views on the role of fat in our food.

IPalltheway
07-28-2011, 02:24 PM
As an IP coach I'm furious!! We are trained and taught that women will lose little to no weight during their period. Menstruation conceals weight loss because the body retains more water at that time of the month to protect the reproductive organs. As soon as the menstrual cycle is over, women will notice continued weight loss again.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I'd call and ask to talk whoever runs the office (a doctor maybe?). Explain what happened and that you know for a fact most women do not loss weight during that time of the month. (The only time I have ever had a women loss over 3 pounds will on her period was in her very first week on IP!) Perhaps the coach was completely mistaken and misunderstood something during training? I hope you're able to get everything sorted out. If you need to, find another clinic in your area that offers IP. This program is too life changing to deny yourself of it just because your coach is an idiot. GL!

niknakjack
07-28-2011, 08:21 PM

Congrats on the 12lbs in 4 weeks! Your coach is completely off her rocker, IP has no such policy of kicking people off who are following the plan. They do ask if you keep cheating to go off because you are not obviously ready to commit but this is not your case. Everybody looses differently, we could all eat the same thing and do the same exercise each day and each of us would come up w/different results. Also people who have larger amounts of weight to loose will always loose more that someone who has a little weight to loose. Stick w/ it it truly works as you can see. I suggest speaking w/your clinic about how you feel they have been treating you and making you feel and if they do not come around ask for a refund of your initial start up and find another clinic. Also you should get in touch w/IP headquarters and let them know how they are treating you. I'm sure they could re train your coaches properly if they knew. Good Luck, I hope you stick w/it!

Julizzle
08-03-2011, 06:09 PM
ive been on ip for 3 months and have lost a total of 33 lbs. so far. there have been weeks where i lose 5 lbs and weeks where i loose .8... one week i actually gained .2.... whoever told you that is definitely full of it. ive never heard that before! if you feel like the program is working for you, i say try finding another clinic that offers it, especially if you are paying for it. and keep up the good work girly! dont be discouraged. any weight loss is a good thing :D

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar013/slider-cheer/lb/193/130/159.8/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)