Old 07-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #1  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Question Input wanted from all of you...

12 pounds from goal, OP, got head in the right place.

Now, upcoming 3 weeks of business/vacation travel away from home. This is the plan my coach has set up for me however, I REALLY would appreciate the feedback and insight from any one who has thoughts on the arrangement:

One week (starting now) on phase 2.
Two weeks on Phase 3.

Three weeks of trip: allow for 3 "cheat" days per week, each followed by a strict phase 1 day, and phase 3 eating the other days. Continue exercise.

Return from trip: return to Phase 1 until remaining weight is lost.

She says this will stabilize my current weight (once I start phase 3) and she states it should drastically reduce not only the shock to the body with cheat days but also minimize my weight gain, if there is any. (I can't imagine I wouldn't gain a little, but I'm not planning on any big binges or anything like that! Just a few special dinners built in with family and friends, the afternoon glass of wine on the deck here and there).

I know some of you may recommend ways to stay OP while I am away, but it isn't an option that I feel I even want to do; this is a special trip where I do not want to have to compromise all of the time but want to indulge reasonably and curtail gaining.

Thanks for any thoughts...I really don't want to lose ground on all the effort I've put in and new eating skills I"ve developed.
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #2  
Man on a mission

Seems to me like you have a plan, and a good one i might say. I think you will enjoy more of your vacation that way and you will not be tempted to go all cheat as if you would on phase one and going crazy over the temptation. The little cheats that you will have will be assume by the following day on phase one. If and i say IF you ever take on a few pounds, im sure you will loose them in the first week you are back OP.

I know people that did the diet for a few months and did the same thing cuz they were hitting a plateau, and it actually shock the body. When they did return to the phase one they had incredible loss.

Sometime fooling your body into a different phase and giving it a shock, is really to key to having much better results and keeping your sanity at the same time.

Enjoy your time with friends and family, and come back to phase one more determine then ever. And im pretty sure you will love the results.

Last edited by rooster on a diet; 07-27-2011 at 12:18 PM.
rooster on a diet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 211/179/141

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrfect View Post

Now, upcoming 3 weeks of business/vacation travel away from home. This is the plan my coach has set up for me however, I REALLY would appreciate the feedback and insight from any one who has thoughts on the arrangement:

Two weeks on Phase 3.

Three weeks of trip: allow for 3 "cheat" days per week, each followed by a strict phase 1 day, and phase 3 eating the other days. Continue exercise.

She says this will stabilize my current weight (once I start phase 3) and she states it should drastically reduce not only the shock to the body with cheat days but also minimize my weight gain, if there is any. (I can't imagine I wouldn't gain a little, but I'm not planning on any big binges or anything like that! Just a few special dinners built in with family and friends, the afternoon glass of wine on the deck here and there).

I know some of you may recommend ways to stay OP while I am away, but it isn't an option that I feel I even want to do; this is a special trip where I do not want to have to compromise all of the time but want to indulge reasonably and curtail gaining.

Thanks for any thoughts...I really don't want to lose ground on all the effort I've put in and new eating skills I"ve developed.
You can't phase 3 eat for 'other days'. Phase 3 is VERY important. For 2 weeks you 'wake' your pancreas with once forbidden carbs (fruits/grains), first thing in the morning. I get your joy for 12 more pounds, that's awesome girl, way to go, but have a glass of water and think this through. (I know huh?). You've already mentally prepared to 'gain a little' and that's fine. Keep as smart to IP has you can, watch portions, enjoy your wine and family. Have a great time. When you get home.....yeah. Do what ya gotta do. If I were you (well first of all I'd be screaming happy 12 pounds) I'd wait to get into phase 3 with all the control being mine.
petie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #4  
Started IP 07/05/2011

S/C/G: 230/215/150

Height: 5' 5"

This is a huge decision...it's great you're taking the time to think it through. I've planned for my holidays but I'm planning to stick closer to phase 1 and skip the forbiddens...other than the occasional glass of wine. I am planning on indulging in protein and salad dinners...even if I have a steak with a side caeser it's closer to OP than a baked potato. I will also have the occasional glass of wine but savour only one per slip. I'm not anywhere near as close to my goal as you are but I can't take my head out of the "right place" and allow myself the starch and carbs I've worked so hard to avoid!
CuteNcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #5  
Maintaining since 6/9/11

S/C/G: 180/140.2/145

Height: 5 feet, 5 (and a half!) inches

What your coach is recommending is the safest bet for your body, but you need to make your own decision about this. The advantage to doing what your coach says is you will be able to wake your pancreas up through the 2 weeks of phase 3 and then you can basically 'try out' maintenance while you are on your trip. It could be hard to get back on phase 1 when you are back, but if you are committed to the program you'll do fine with that I bet.

If you are seriously only adding wine, you could consider staying on phase 1. The risk is if you have a bunch of carbs you can throw yourself out of balance. There have been some successful phase 1 vacationers who have gone for an atkins approach with wine during their time off phase 1. (Look at some of Darbs old posts for specific details.)

I lost some weight in phase 2 and 3 and have been trying to stick with a phase 3 diet in maintenance most of the time. If it were me (since you are talking about a 3 week trip) I'd probably do what your coach recommends.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Lucky Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 212/196/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:

Two weeks on Phase 3.

Not quite sure why you are asking what we think, it is pretty clear that you are not interested in staying on plan so go and have a great time! Let us know how it goes-if you gain, how hard it is to get rid of the weight, get back on track, etc.
Determinedat47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:

Two weeks on Phase 3.

Well, I understand your dilemma. I was on IP for 4 1/2 weeks and lost 16 lbs. before I went on a two week trip to India. My coach/nurse gave me no plan for phasing off before I left. She just said "go and have a good time, and when you get back from your trip, get back on Phase 1 and continue your weight loss". Well, I did just that. I didn't go absolutely crazy, but I was definitely not OP! I tried to be concious of the foods I was choosing, but I did indulge. My weigh-in was on the 3rd day after I got back. I did eat OP for the 2 days prior and my weight was only up 8/10 of a pound! Needless to say, I was ecstatic!! I have continued IP ever since and have now lost a total of 19 lbs. (I've been back for 2 weeks) I have about 15 more pounds to lose and I'm glad that I did not stress over my trip and had a great time! Good luck with your decision and have a GREAT trip!
New2IP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #8  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

I am not sure you want options, I agree with determine, you have already made up your mind what you want to do. Have fun with your family and just know that when you get back home and you come back to IP, it won't be easy, everyone who has cheated always regret it but it will be harder this time around... good luck
2RIDEROLLERCOAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/192/160

Height: 5' 5.5"

The plan suggested by your coach sounds reasonable. I just got back from a two-week vacation myself. I intended to be OP 100% while gone but it was really hard to sit there at the table with my husband and daughter and just watch them eat yummy stuff three times a day, so I usually had a taste or two of what they were having and them continued to eat my lean protein/veggies or IP food. I had a few sips of beer once or twice, too. As a result, I only gained 0.8 pounds while gone, which was great for me considering that I used to gain at least 5 pounds each vacation! I am also ecstatic to report that I did not go through carb withdrawal again like I did when I first started IP. I truly think it was the fear of gaining weight back and having to go through withdrawal again that kept me from going crazy while on vacation.

Hope it works well for you, whatever you decide. Let us know how it turns out!

Karen
karenfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #10  
Freedom from Food

Thanks...it's just I do know myself, and I am very determined so I know I can get back on track when I get back. The reason I asked the question is that alot of you will have had experiences like this, and may have had insight from your personal results following the plan she's suggested.

I also like the idea of maybe just having a bite or two and sip or two here and there. Staying OP otherwise. If it worked that well for you (Karenfromtexas)on vacation, perhaps it's worth considering.

I have often found it's really the first few bites of something that taste so good, anyway. I know...it will still throw my body out of ketosis. The atkins idea is good too, it can keep me in ketosis but allow for a more indulgent variety of foods. Hmmmmmmm.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Quote:
Thanks...it's just I do know myself, and I am very determined so I know I can get back on track when I get back. The reason I asked the question is that alot of you will have had experiences like this, and may have had insight from your personal results following the plan she's suggested.

I also like the idea of maybe just having a bite or two and sip or two here and there. Staying OP otherwise. If it worked that well for you (Karenfromtexas)on vacation, perhaps it's worth considering.

I have often found it's really the first few bites of something that taste so good, anyway. I know...it will still throw my body out of ketosis. The atkins idea is good too, it can keep me in ketosis but allow for a more indulgent variety of foods. Hmmmmmmm.
Purr, when you gained at your 3rd weigh-in, were you OP? Just wondering, because if you "cheated" that week, you may be in for a big gain, if you don't follow some kind of "controlled" eating program. Good Luck and I hope you have a wonderful time.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

That plan certainly sounds reasonable to me. It sounds something like what I was outlining for myself when my big vacay comes up in September. We are going to Germany and going to Oktoberfest in Munich and it is my intention to not stay in P1 while in Germany. It will be my 1st trip ever to Europe and I want to enjoy. I am not saying I am going to go hog wild, but like you said if I want a beer at Oktoberfest or a pretzle or a gelato, then I am going to have it.

Enough about my trip I think what your coach has layed out for you seems like the best solution. As my trip gets closer I plan to have the exact same conversation with my coach. It is also my intention to get right back on P1 when I get back and finish my journey. I am hoping by the time I leave I will be 10-12 pounds from goal and come back at 12-15 pounds from goal and finish it up!
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #13  
Freedom from Food

Yes, I hoped you would "weigh in" for me, Jenny...I knew you had a similar dilemma. And also felt the same way as me, that in your heart, you do want to allow yourself some pleasures with food. It's not criminal, after all...just we've all used it inappropriately (in the past I hope, for ever).

I think the more I ponder it, the more I think it makes sense to phase off as if you've reached goal weight. It seems the KINDEST way to treat my body, and knowing I"m following a set plan with a purpose...so it makes it more structured than saying I'm going away and it's a "big cheat" time.

I will post exactly what happens, no shame...I appreciate being able to be accountable!!

I do find that it's easier and easier to stay OP the longer you do it...being in situations I would find difficult in the first weeks are just fine now.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #14  
Freedom from Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post
Purr, when you gained at your 3rd weigh-in, were you OP? Just wondering, because if you "cheated" that week, you may be in for a big gain, if you don't follow some kind of "controlled" eating program. Good Luck and I hope you have a wonderful time.
Great question and good observation! NO...I had been "purrfectly" OP even while I was away for a 4 day vacation...the day I got home I had a party to attend, and I lost my edge half way through the party and ate a serious amount of dessert food. My weigh in was the next day, and that was a good learning experience. It sure was NOT worth the destruction after all the hard effort it was taking to stay faithful and OP>

So, that's why I think phasing is the better way the more I think about it. Pretend I"m at goal, although I will not be eating as normal a phase four as if I were at home, that is probably certain.

What will everyone do for the holidays? That has to be reallly crazy trying to stay on phase 1, 2 and 3. I can see it could fit quite nicely with a phase 4 plan, and woudn't it be GREAT to sail through the holiday season enjoying some special foods, and not gaining ten pounds?
Old 07-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 135.6/127/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Chick View Post
What your coach is recommending is the safest bet for your body, but you need to make your own decision about this. The advantage to doing what your coach says is you will be able to wake your pancreas up through the 2 weeks of phase 3 and then you can basically 'try out' maintenance while you are on your trip. It could be hard to get back on phase 1 when you are back, but if you are committed to the program you'll do fine with that I bet.

If you are seriously only adding wine, you could consider staying on phase 1. The risk is if you have a bunch of carbs you can throw yourself out of balance. There have been some successful phase 1 vacationers who have gone for an atkins approach with wine during their time off phase 1. (Look at some of Darbs old posts for specific details.)

I lost some weight in phase 2 and 3 and have been trying to stick with a phase 3 diet in maintenance most of the time. If it were me (since you are talking about a 3 week trip) I'd probably do what your coach recommends.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
If your in maintenance you should really be having carbs 2x a day ie.bkfst and dinner, phase 3 is to just restart your pancreas this is usually for 2 weeks after that you should have good carb at least 2x a day to keep your body fueled and running smoothly. Your body uses the carbs to fuel the engine so to speak, if your only getting them at breakfast you will run out of fuel later in the day. Ask your coach about this if you are unsure. You will not gain back weight by eating healthy carbs 2x a day its the old habits of BAD carbs that will do that.
niknakjack is offline   Reply With Quote