Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #1  
NEWB!

S/C/G: 215.8/202.8/174 (Army Weight)

Height: 5'10"

Lightbulb Weighing Yourself.

How often should I weigh myself?
Weekly?
Daily?
Right now I do it daily and it's starting to bother me like OCD like. I weigh myself more than once a day. I'm pretty sure that's not good.

So how often should I weigh myself?
SarRawrNaomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:11 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

The answer to that question is different for everyone. I usually weigh myself daily....it keeps me more in check and away from denial....also keeps me aware of natural fluctuations. There have been times when I had to take a break from the daily weighings because the numbers weren't moving and I got very frustrated. So, I took a break and only weighed once a week. Once things started moving again, I went back to the daily weigh ins.....I don't think of it as OCD because I find the info helpful.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #3  
SciFi Geek Gettin' Skinny

S/C/G: 186 / 156.6 / 140

Height: 5'7"

Well, I wouldn't weigh yourself multiple times a day. It varies too much. I suggest in the morning before breakfast.

As for everyday, every other, once a week...I fight to not weigh everyday. But it will drive you bonkers if you do, trust me. I try for once a week, or at least a few days in between.
mlgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/146.8/142

Height: 5' 7 1/2''

How often you weigh yourself is purely a personal decision. I used to weigh myself daily. As I get closer to goal, I am finding my daily weigh-in becoming more unpredictable. It was driving me insane. I now only weigh myself a few times a week.
trowter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #5  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I use Sundays as my "official" WI day - when I change my ticker. In between, I kind of go by my mood. If I'm curious that day, then I check the scale, but if not, I don't weigh in. The idea was to give LESS power to the scale for me - I don't want to FORCE myself to wait a week if I want to know before then, but I also don't want to force myself to weigh in daily and get obsessive about it. So far, that seems to work for me.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #6  
Happy Member

I've always weighed myself daily, throughout my whole weight-loss journey. It's just a part of my morning routine

Now that I am 'maintaining' it is even more important for me to weigh myself daily as it keeps me very knowledgeable about my maintenance.

But we are all different. Pick a routine that suits you, and only you. Decide for yourself if you want to weigh daily, or weekly, or monthly, or never at all. Whatever works for you is what you should be doing. And best of luck to you on your weight-loss journey.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 PM   #7  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I weigh myself just about daily, always in the morning before my coffee. I keep a daily log in the notebook that I keep my food diary, exercise, measurements, et al. It's just interesting to see where I am fluxing and such.
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 154/130/125

Height: 5'5''

I weigh myself daily more than once..
I also think I give too much importance to scale.. but also it keeps me informed and I feel more tuned in with my body. so i dont think about it too much.
RudeImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:35 AM   #9  
NEWB!

I only record weight weekly, but forsure I weigh myself every morning when I wake up cause that's when I weigh the least normally. But for the official weigh in I like to take the larger number so it would be more accurate... I hope. lol. But I get frustrated when it goes up or down 2 pounds during a day especially since I restarted working out daily and eating right and it does this.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:53 AM   #10  
NEWB!

Also, how do you guys treat your period? Do you guys ignore your weight that week or do you watch it anyway
Old 07-27-2011, 04:08 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 117/88/77 (Kgs)

Height: 5'8''

weighing myself, be it daily, monthly or weekly is traumatic for me. I think I'll weigh myself- not at all.
fight2winthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:50 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

It's definitely different for everyone. Last time, I weighed myself daily, and kept track in an Excel document. Every so often I'd look at the charts it produced, and what it showed was a very variable weight range from day to day. But it also showed a general downward pattern.

For me, once a week wouldn't really work, because it's more than possible that you'll way the same one day from any given week to one day from the next given week. However, the next day, you could be a couple of pounds lighter or heavier.

Although it sounds like micromanaging, this technique actually taught me how to avoid micromanaging. I learned that what the scale said on any given day was totally irrelevant to me, because of these fluxuations (from water, hormones, etc). But I could look at the pattern over a few weeks and see definite progress, so I was never disheartened if I stepped on the scale and it was a pound or two more than the day before.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Why are you getting frustrated that your weight goes up and down during the day? It's meant to! You are taking in food and liquid, and excreting it as well.

I weigh the same way as Kelly: daily, and I look at the overall pattern instead of focusing on every little fluctuation. The image below shows my weight log for two months, where you can see natural variation (relatively small, I think most people get more fluctuation than I do), the odd week when the scale didn't really move, and also a steady downwards pattern.

Try weighing yourself in different ways and go for whatever keeps you sane. First thing in the morning, after going to the toilet, is the best time to weigh as your weight is at its lowest and also it's the most consistent. You don't need to include higher numbers because they're more accurate, the lowest number is actually better. If one morning you have to weigh yourself before going to the toilet, don't worry, it'll show a little higher that day but you'll get a nice surprise the next day when it jumps down again. Then put the scale away for the rest of the day, somewhere out of sight where you won't be tempted to hop on it again. Try this daily for a bit, then try it weekly for a bit, then decide which you prefer.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #14  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esofia View Post
Why are you getting frustrated that your weight goes up and down during the day? It's meant to! You are taking in food and liquid, and excreting it as well.

I weigh the same way as Kelly: daily, and I look at the overall pattern instead of focusing on every little fluctuation. The image below shows my weight log for two months, where you can see natural variation (relatively small, I think most people get more fluctuation than I do), the odd week when the scale didn't really move, and also a steady downwards pattern.

Try weighing yourself in different ways and go for whatever keeps you sane. First thing in the morning, after going to the toilet, is the best time to weigh as your weight is at its lowest and also it's the most consistent. You don't need to include higher numbers because they're more accurate, the lowest number is actually better. If one morning you have to weigh yourself before going to the toilet, don't worry, it'll show a little higher that day but you'll get a nice surprise the next day when it jumps down again. Then put the scale away for the rest of the day, somewhere out of sight where you won't be tempted to hop on it again. Try this daily for a bit, then try it weekly for a bit, then decide which you prefer.

This is neat. What program is this?
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #15  
NEWB!

My Net Diary has the same chart concept, and I see your point with the chart thing. I started logging my weight daily about 4 days ago, however, I use my weight every Wednesday as my official weight for that week.