Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #1  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'2''

Default My meds make me fat

Of course, diet and exercise on a regular basis helps too, LOL. My weight shot up within 1 month due to an increase in Lithium.

Currently I am on 900mg Lithium, 200mg Lamictal, 10mg Prozac, 150mg Wellbutrin XL, 80mg of Geodon, and 100mg Trazodone (for sleeping)

This combo makes me feel awesome but I hate that Lithium made me gain weight. My doc is really careful about prescribing stuff with no weight gain effects but Lithium is unavoidable.

I'm restarting my weight loss journey today and pray that they haven't slowed my metabolism.

I'm just so frustrated!! Why can't I function without meds? Not taking anything or seeing doctors would be so much easier if it could be possible.

Here we go again
thelittleflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

My dad is on a hefty combo of meds himself... he takes Trazadone too, and I'm not sure what he's on for mood enhancers but it definitely makes him eat a ton more especially when his doctor adjusts the amounts. He works out a lot at the gym but it just doesn't seem to make much of a difference for him.

Hang in there, you have support from all the wonderful chicks here
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/173/155

Height: 5'7

Check this out:

http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

It's a documentary about a guy who was on all sorts of prescription meds and overweight. He got sick of it and on a whim, decided to do an all juice diet for 60 days. Not store bought juice, but by putting fruits and veggies through juicer. The results will amaze you. I'm seriously thinking about doing a 10 day juice detox; not to lose weight, but rather just to cleanse and "reboot".

It's currently streaming on Netflix.

Last edited by kariatari; 07-26-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: add'l info
kariatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #4  

I lost weight on wellbrutrin and have gained on effexor. it is different for everyone, I guess.
cinthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #5  
Life is about balance

S/C/G: 283/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I've been losing steadily on Lithium (and other meds), but it was only after I tweeked my diet. I wish you well.
mamakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #6  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

I'm confused about this. What do you mean by your meds making you fat? I just started taking Effexor and my appetite is nil. It's kind of nice.

Are your meds giving you a ravenous appetite and you're eating extra calories and that is making you gain? Or are the meds causing you to retain fluid?

I keep reading about weight gain with antidepressants and since I just started taking one I'd like to know what people's experiences have been. Was going to start my own thread but I saw this one. I would assume as long as I stay on plan, I will continue to lose weight. I'm just confused about it.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #7  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

I hear all of ya. I am on meds which make me overweight too. I have lost some of the weight but I still have a ways to go. Meds can do a great job with helping in a number of ways but pour the pounds on. I never was this overweight before the meds and I never had these disordered eating habits either.

I am trying to meet with a nutrition counselor and a personal trainer to get the rest of the weight off.

Good luck to all of you.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote