Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

Default Feeling the drudgery

Does anyone have any tips of motivating one's self for their workout? I rarely skip my daily routine (cardio on elliptical, occasional strength training), but I also almost never enjoy it anymore. I used to really get into it and push myself until I was sweating bullets, but lately I'm feeling very lethargic and I dreaaaad my workout so much that I'll put it off until late in the evening. I sometimes even feel like I don't physically have the energy for it, which doesn't seem to make sense to me, either.

I don't have many options for different ways to get exercise, as I have a limited gym here at my apartment complex, and running always damages my ankles.
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Sounds like you need to change things up a bit because you sound really bored with the same old machines and workout...Instead of the elliptical do the treadmill or rower, or on the elliptical do some intervals very hard and easy sprints... Instead of «occasional strength training» go all out on the strength by doing very very heavy to failure, do it for a few weeks... There are loads of workouts on the internet...So what I'm trying to say is change things up a bit, your body and mind are getting bored, me thinks ...

Let us know how you do ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I agree with Ilene, you're probably past the point where you need to change it up. You're just way too bored by now.

Explore your options. You do have options. You are not a prisoner who gets just an hour daily in the yard or a hamster confined to a cage with just a hamster wheel to run inside.

Classes help get me going sometimes. I feel I have to keep the appointment that I've booked, particularly if I had to go to the trouble of reserving a bike for spin class. Also, I very much look forward to chatting with other class members.

At different times, I've taken yoga through local Adult Ed programs at the local high school in the evenings, and swimming through a local community college class on the weekends, and more yoga through a private college that has exercise classes open to the community. I've also used exercise videos to learn lifting routines, which I do in my gym, on my own, though I first learned them while inside my home. I don't know if any of these options appeal to you, but they're nice changes for me from solitary stints on cardio machines. (Which I also still do, but mind much less because I change them up with more social occupations.)

Have you ever thought of working with a trainer? The thing I've gotten from the classes, aside from meeting some nice people, is trained professionals correcting my form. That has really helped for the times when I'm on my own.

Last edited by saef; 07-26-2011 at 10:02 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #4  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

You may want to try something a little more "fun"? By fun, I mean exercise that is disguised as a fun game or something. I like Wii Just Dance 2. You can really get a very good workout (I mean sweating bullets), all whilst your having a great time and learning some funky dance moves.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: S/C/G --- 240/236/140

Height: 5'5"

I agree with the others. Change it up, do something different.
Just Dance is an AWESOME way to sweat it out and have a great time!
KellyAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #6  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

Totally agree with the advice above. You could even buy a fun DVD or two to break up the routine. It's kind of nice to do something different and to have someone talking you through it. I have a gym membership to a great gym, but I still do DVDs in the living room from time to time.
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Any way you can work out in the morning? That way you don't have to dread it all day long, just get up and get it out of the way (and feel less tired during the day).

I never, EVER thought I'd be a morning exerciser, and when I get out of the habit I cannot imagine ever getting back in.. until I actually do and remember how good it was.

I also agree that you need some variety. You don't have to run to get a good workout- is there a treadmill? How about walking at a varying incline? When I first started I HATED staying on the same machine for the whole time, so I'd switch around. I'm sure as a routine that'll get old too, but at least for now.

Also, PODCASTS. I love them. Something good to listen to makes all the difference for me in a workout. This morning I couldn't get pandora to load on my cell phone and I almost had a conniption.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #8  

Hmmm, the Wii dance game sounds fun, maybe I'll find something similar that I can do in DVD form (less exciting, but ah well :P).

I'm also going to look into podcasts. Any suggestions off the top of your head?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 145/131.5/125

Height: 5'3"

^ all good advice.

my question is - do you listen to music while you work out? maybe try adding some new playlists? get yourself pumped up a little more
nikkinouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #10  

I alwaaaays have my ipod when I hit the gym. I think that that is part of it, my new music reserves have been drying up as of late.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #11  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

New music always made a big difference to me. Like others have said, I'd try a DVD, but pick a fun-looking one.

Do you have a Y? Those memberships are pretty cheap, and that would greatly increase your workout options. You could also try walking outside if you're not in a hot area. Even if your routine is less intense when you change it up, it might help give you a change of pace a day or two a week.
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote