Ideal Protein Diet - The big "C"...NoviLax isnt cutting it

champaignsupernova
07-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Okay...this sucks...but I am going to pretend I have no shame and put the question out there.

What else can I do besides take the NoviLax if I have not been able to go for awhile? My coach gave me the NoviLax on Friday (have taken it every night) and after finally responding to me today, has decided to up me to two tonight, two in the morning, and two tomorrow night. I just do not feel like this is the answer.

What other methods might work? I drink appx 100oz of water a day, sometimes more but at minimum 100. I have been getting all oils, veggies, lettuce in. The only non IP thing I have had is Diet Rite 0/0/0 to help with the abdominal pain.

I did not lose last week and my scale is showing that I am the same or higher this week. I just cannot stand feeling like this nor can I feel super happy after another bad weigh in! Help!!!:(

JellyMae87
07-25-2011, 07:49 PM
I have heard that the Dieter's Tea helps...

colley
07-25-2011, 07:50 PM
i found that when i had the spaghetti, i got bungged up for 3 days after, been goo since i stopped eating that one. i also take 2 senekot every night

Lucky Chick
07-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Someone on here told me about the line of CALM products that are a calcium magnesium blend (sound familiar?). You just put it in warm water and drink it down. Tastes good (I got the raspberry lemon flavor) and it worked for me. It was created by Peter Gillham. Just google it or it is in a lot of health food stores.

There are also some studies linking vitamin C and regularity. So once you are cleared up you might want to research that and increase your vitamin C to stay regular.

Somewhere on here you can read about the (drastic) salt flush that also works. Something about salt in water and stay near a bathroom because it works quickly. It might leave you a little bloated after because of the salt, but you wouldn't be bloated from the big 'C'. :)

Purrfect
07-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Go to Natures Sunshine and order their fiber bend, of 3 fibers, I think called Nature's Three. I take 2 tablespoons of this (and have for years) in a huge glass of water on an empty stomach each morning. It is like taking an internal shower! It's VERY healthy, all natural, not hard to drink. You might argue there could be a few carbs in there but it has had no effect on my losses.
It's a great thing to do everyday IP diet or not. All disease starts in the gut...it's the most important thing to have healthy bowels!

coliep
07-25-2011, 08:37 PM
I have been taking milk of magnesia at night and it has helped mostly but I too hate this feeling.

becca1978
07-25-2011, 08:40 PM
The salt flush didn't work for me. I ended up taking citrate of magnesium.

Gika
07-25-2011, 08:41 PM
oh how I have suffered with this problem! My regular "coach" didn't have any advise for me other than what's on the sheet they give you the first day, which recommends magnesium citrate (2tbs). In that dose, it did nothing for me. Next week I made an apt at another IP clinic where there is a physician. In the mean time though I took senna tea. It worked, but I was boated for 2 days. After that I bought CALM and took it in increasing doses (1 tbs, next day 2 tbs, then 3 tbs). The day after I took 3tbs I had a little "relief", but then nothing, so I bought colace (stool softener). Finally when I saw the Dr. she said I needed to take 1 bottle of the magnesium citrate, and then follow up with CALM and colace for maitenance.
I did that. The whole bottle of magnesium citrate worked, although I didn't feel "empty" (sorry for the graphic detail), but I didn't want to take more of that... though she said I could take another bottle. So I followed up with the CALM and 2 colace pills and I have been "better". Also, I started taking another supplement which has vitamin C and that combo of CALM/colace/vitamin C seems to be working.

I hope this helps. I had a horrible time for two weeks, and I wish nobody has to go through that!

At my next weigh in I'm going to inquire about Novi-Lax. The Dr never even mentioned it, and I completely forgot about it.

Oh, one more thing. The day after taking the magnesium citrate I felt that I might have been kicked out of ketosis. I was soooo hungry, and feeling extremely "bleh" for two days. But as of yesterday I'm fine again.

Purrfect
07-25-2011, 08:49 PM
That's right...just include magnesium. Too much doesn't hurt you but could have the opposite effect. Usually 400mg twice a day is good, but for an "issue" I might take 800mg at night, with some coral calcium. Coral calcium will do it too...take 2 of those at night....lots of natural and healthy ways to move things along.

Watkat
07-25-2011, 09:07 PM
I used the citrate of magnesium as well. It's in the laxative section of the drugstore. They give this to patients before they have a colonoscopy. Let me tell you, I drank half the bottle and I spent the rest of the day in the bathroom!!

champaignsupernova
07-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Well magnesium citrate it is. Lets see what happens. THANK YOU ALL so much for your help.

Sunshine87
07-26-2011, 01:35 AM
Ok, so one of my Mom's friends just lost a ton of weight and she recommended Psyllium Seed Husk (with Acidophilus if you can find it) to be regular. I started taking it one week ago and I will tell you that it is very effective and pretty cheap. She saw it on the Dr. Oz show. Good luck.

Oh, and your avatar wedding photo is GORGEOUS!

Jasesgirl
07-26-2011, 03:59 AM
I was suffering from the big C for awhile and so i did a combination..I took an ex-lax the night before..and then this morning i drank a litre of warm water with 2tbsp of un-iodized salt in it(the salt water flush) and within an hour..i was pooping to the point of no end..I could not believe how much came out..and the beauty of it ..is that i wasnt cramping and my stomach wasnt hurting..it was very gentle..It worked really well.. however..you HAVE to drink the litre of warm water with salt on an empty stomach in the morning and you need to drink it all in one go and you need to lay on your side for 30 minutes to get it to move down your intestinal tract..and you also need at least 3 hours to make sure your body completely eliminates..

JoLoMN
07-26-2011, 09:14 AM
I used the citrate of magnesium as well. It's in the laxative section of the drugstore. They give this to patients before they have a colonoscopy. Let me tell you, I drank half the bottle and I spent the rest of the day in the bathroom!!

I take a sip a day - and that tends to keep things continuing to move on a regular basis. I feel so much better!

Shanelle
07-26-2011, 10:32 AM
These are all great suggestions, I am having trouble with the big "c" and will try some of these ideas as well. Thanks ChampaignSupernova for bringing it up.

Pauley
07-26-2011, 10:35 AM
You poor thing! I had that problem my first couple weeks and Miralax solved my problem. You can take it every day.

calee
07-26-2011, 10:39 AM
I also use Miralax. Though I recently switched to the Costco brand which is much cheaper. 3 bottles for less than what I paid for 2 Miralax. The bottle does say that it might take a few doses before it starts working. I've had great success with it. Prior to that I was adding Benefiber to my beverages but I hated adding in the additional carbs with it and it wasn't effective enough for a low carb food plan.

champaignsupernova
07-26-2011, 04:54 PM
I ended up doing the magnesium citrate last night. While it seemed to get things going the right direction...I am still feeling very uh full (and by now me and the bathroom are real good friends so I don't see how that is possible) and the scale has. NOT. budged. On top of this I feel like death incarnate...headachey, tired, have a general blah. WI6 is on Thursday...so two days to recuperate and see some kind of normalcy return. Any suggestions? If I show no loss this week that is two in a row (albeit I was having C issues both weeks).... :( Going to go take a hot shower and make myself a couch nest.

coliep
07-26-2011, 05:06 PM
I haven't read other posts, so maybe this has been mentioned but what about psyllium husk capsules? This is what I am contemplating . . .

wheekers
07-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Okay...this sucks...but I am going to pretend I have no shame and put the question out there.

What else can I do besides take the NoviLax if I have not been able to go for awhile? My coach gave me the NoviLax on Friday (have taken it every night) and after finally responding to me today, has decided to up me to two tonight, two in the morning, and two tomorrow night. I just do not feel like this is the answer.

What other methods might work? I drink appx 100oz of water a day, sometimes more but at minimum 100. I have been getting all oils, veggies, lettuce in. The only non IP thing I have had is Diet Rite 0/0/0 to help with the abdominal pain.

I did not lose last week and my scale is showing that I am the same or higher this week. I just cannot stand feeling like this nor can I feel super happy after another bad weigh in! Help!!!:(

I have the opposite problem. I have diarrhea everyday since starting this diet.

Bellamack
07-26-2011, 05:24 PM
I use loose leaf tea, so when I brew my morning tea, I add about 1/4 tsp of sentcha (sp) and that keeps me very regular, do not overuse it or you will have a whole different issue

ItsAboutTime
07-26-2011, 09:01 PM
I use Walmart brand Senecot and haven't had much trouble. The past few days have been worse than normal as far as the "full" feeling but I think TOM is coming back so that may be my problem.

calee
07-26-2011, 09:47 PM
I have the opposite problem. I have diarrhea everyday since starting this diet.

Is there any chance that you're lactose intolerant and using whey products that don't have the added digestive enzymes? Sometimes people don't even know it until they start using Whey.

coliep
07-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Ok, so after consuming nearly an entire bottle of Phillips Milk of Magnesia in a week + taking the IP enzymes, I am not feeling the general relief I would like. Some days are better than others, but nothing is "smooth sailing". Tonight I ordered Psyllium Husks with Acidopholus (sp?) capsules. I have read good reviews that the combo is very helpful for high protein dieters. I will let you know how it goes!

wheekers
07-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Is there any chance that you're lactose intolerant and using whey products that don't have the added digestive enzymes? Sometimes people don't even know it until they start using Whey.

I'm not sure...maybe. My son is lactose intolerant.

Calypso
07-28-2011, 04:49 PM
my coach said to use sugar free orange Metamucil. I only had one problem and that did the trick. once in the AM and once in the PM. BTW the label says 100% natural Psyllium

Jacqueline
07-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Hi All,
I haven't posted in a while, but here's what I discovered about constipation over my months on and off IP:

Several common ingredients and foods can cause constipation. They include beef and other high iron foods, chocolate, products with gelatin, and other emulsifiers like carageenan gum, guar gum, etc. Avoid these foods/products for a few days and things will usually come right without resorting to laxatives long term.

Some things I find help move things along include coffee, celery and romaine lettuce.

Hope this is useful.

Jackie

Watkat
07-28-2011, 08:01 PM
I ended up doing the magnesium citrate last night. While it seemed to get things going the right direction...I am still feeling very uh full (and by now me and the bathroom are real good friends so I don't see how that is possible) and the scale has. NOT. budged. On top of this I feel like death incarnate...headachey, tired, have a general blah. WI6 is on Thursday...so two days to recuperate and see some kind of normalcy return. Any suggestions? If I show no loss this week that is two in a row (albeit I was having C issues both weeks).... :( Going to go take a hot shower and make myself a couch nest.

It's been two days how are you feeling now?

champaignsupernova
07-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Hey everyone...thank you so much for your help and especially for checking in on me :hug: totally not a sexy issue I have been facing.

well...yeah. It seems that the magnesium citrate bottle I drank ripped a lot out (sorry to be blunt). I am still feeling pseudo-backed up and rather uncomfy from my magnesium citrate adventure. However...I did lose 2lbs this week. Certainly not a great loss considering none last week but it seems I am on the up and up either way.

In the future I am going to try to get some of the products you all so graciously mentioned. I need to find a method that is gentler on the system with the same types of results. I don't think it would be smart to do another "flush" with the mag citrate...much to hard on my insides.

I hope you all have avoided this issue and if anyone comes up with a magical happy cure-all, let me know.

Gika
10-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Ok, so I wanted to revive this thread just to let people know what finally worked for me. A little bit of my "C" history problem first:

About 2 weeks into IP I started suffering from constipation. I read and re-read as many threads as I could where people talked about this topic. My clinic doesn't offer novi-lax or any other supplements except cal-mag, potassium and multi-vitamin. Here's a list of things that I tried, and their outcome:

1. CALM - It's a powder that you add to water and makes it fizzy. It contains magnesium, so it is supposed to counter the effects of calcium (calcium could be the culprit for constipation) - It seemed to work a little.. not enough so I kept having more a day until it irritated my stomach.

2. Senna - It works, but it makes me bloated the following day and it could cause dependence, so I decided not to go this route for too long.

3. Magnisium citrate - I took a bottle. It works wonders, as it's supposed to "clean out" people prior to surgery. I would prefer if I never had to do it again though. It was not pleasant.

4. Naturalax 3 (with aloe). It worked really well. No cramping, no bloating. But the bottle say that if used long term it could cause dependency, so I didn't want to use it every day.

5. Novi-Lax. Since my clinic doesn't offer it, I ordered Novi -Lax and the Omega 3 supplements from another clinic. I played with different doses of it, at different times, etc. What seemed to "work" was 2 pills at night. It didn't work completely though. So I would take them for a couple days, and then take Naturalax 3 for a couple of days. I just thought this is how it was going to be for the rest of the time I was on IP for me.

6. Udo's oil 3.6.9 Blend . I read about this supplement in this forum, I think it was Carla who mentioned it several times (Thanks Carla!!)When I finished my bottle of IP Omega-3's I decided to buy this one instead. O M G ever since I started taking them I have been regular. I waited 2 weeks to report the results because I wanted to make sure that it was going to last, and that indeed that's what helped me in the end. I didn't change anything else in my routine and the results have lasted, so I'm attributing it to it.

From reading many many threads on this problem, I know that for some people the CALM will work, for others Novi-lax will do the trick, and yet other people struggle no matter what, so I just wanted to give you guys this little piece of info. Maybe this will help someone else as well.

Good luck everyone!

Oh, I forgot to add, the "recommended dose" of it is 6 pills a day, but I take only 4.

grannyto2bear
10-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Ok, so one of my Mom's friends just lost a ton of weight and she recommended Psyllium Seed Husk (with Acidophilus if you can find it) to be regular. I started taking it one week ago and I will tell you that it is very effective and pretty cheap. She saw it on the Dr. Oz show. Good luck.

Oh, and your avatar wedding photo is GORGEOUS!
Hi Sunshine87, are you taking raw physillium husk in water or taking it by capsules, and when and how much do you take? I am taking raw physillium husk but mine does not have the acidophilus in it. Where did you find it with the acidophilus and physsilium combined or are they each separate? I was taking 1 tsp of the raw physsilium in a glass of water followed by another glass of water first thing in the morning, but the lady at the health food store told me to take it at bedtime now, she said it works best that way, and then to have a cup of hot water with 1 tbsp lemon juice first thing in the morning as this gets your whole system going. Just changed to this new routine last night, not sure if it is any better than in the morning, but at least this way I take it at a seperate tme away from my thyroid meds in the morning now.
A suggestion given to us by our Naturopath Dr. for the Big "C", is to take 1 Tbsp olive oil at bedtime. I put the oil in a bit of hot water as I can't take it straight off the spoon (the other night I also put lemon juice in the mix) This oil is extra to the 2 tsp we need to take on IP daily. The extra oil is extra calories but it did help, I just don't do it every night.
Also if anyone could tell me what is in the Novi-lax, is it just a stool softner like docusate sodium?

Linden
10-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Hi All,
I haven't posted in a while, but here's what I discovered about constipation over my months on and off IP:

Several common ingredients and foods can cause constipation. They include beef and other high iron foods, chocolate, products with gelatin, and other emulsifiers like carageenan gum, guar gum, etc. Avoid these foods/products for a few days and things will usually come right without resorting to laxatives long term.

Some things I find help move things along include coffee, celery and romaine lettuce.

Hope this is useful.

Jackie

Hello, hello, hello! It's so good to see you again. Are you re-starting? Please come join us. Bright minds and helpful suggestions most welcome.

Junetwin11
10-28-2011, 07:38 PM
I take 1-2 senekot every nite as well :)

flvamp
10-28-2011, 08:27 PM
I waited 2 weeks to report the results because I wanted to make sure that it was going to last, and that indeed that's what helped me in the end.

(bolding mine)

:devil:

:o

:lol:

:D

;)

:joker:

:cp:

:yes:

Tuscany123
10-28-2011, 10:46 PM
I have used Smooth Move tea with success (Traditional Medicinals). I drink it in the evening and usually am better by noon the next day. My local grocery carries it, and so does my Wal-Mart. Also, they make a great Throat Coat tea, that has slippery elm in it. I get bad sore throats every year, and tis the season for colds, so I thought I'd pass that on.

Now sometimes when I have not been helped with the Smooth Move, I have resorted to Metamucel, the sugar free kind. I know it's technically not OP, but if I am really suffering, I use it. Hasn't effected my losses so far.

Hope you feel better, the Big C is horrible!:dizzy:

DanafromAustin
10-29-2011, 01:14 AM
Also if anyone could tell me what is in the Novi-lax, is it just a stool softner like docusate sodium?

The Novi-lax has psyllium (seed husk) 250 mg.
Aloe Vera 150 mg.
Prune powder 50 mg.

That's it, just natural stuff.

grannyto2bear
10-29-2011, 01:24 AM
The Novi-lax has psyllium (seed husk) 250 mg.
Aloe Vera 150 mg.
Prune powder 50 mg.

That's it, just natural stuff.
thanks for the info DanafromAustin, I will check it out at my next weigh in.

Endless Dieter
10-29-2011, 09:27 AM
I find if I have one to two cups of coffee first thing in morning it does the trick for me. More regular then I have ever been. (Coach told me this on first sesson) Prior to IP I was only green tea drinker... Works for me.