100 lb. Club - red wine...really?

View Full Version : red wine...really?

Sandi
07-25-2011, 02:12 PM
Ok, so I am on a mission to decrease my LDL (bad cholesterol) and I have had a couple people telling me that I should add a daily 4 oz of red wine to my diet. I researched it and that seems to be what I am finding out on the net as well.

4 oz a Pinot Noir ia about 100 calories and I am willing to adjust my plan to allow for these 100 cals if it will improve my health. But adding alcohol to make my plan more healthy seems to really go against what I know.

Thoughts?

SMSDREAMER2007
07-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Actually in moderation such as ONE 4 oz glass of wine daily is really healthy.

April Snow
07-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Most things I've seen say that if you are going to drink, red wine in moderation is a good choice since there are other health benefits. However, if you don't already drink, doctors generally wouldn't recommend starting as the health benefits of red wine are still offset by the negatives/potential negatives of alcohol.

You can take resveratrol, which is considered to be the active ingredient that is so beneficial, as a supplement.

Sandi
07-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Normally, I don't drink, so it's strictly an addition.

yoyoma
07-25-2011, 02:58 PM
I used to try to drink some wine for health reasons, but I truly don't like it. I'd much rather spend my calories on food.

Anyway, I take a resveratrol supplement daily (as does my hubby).
I take fish oil supplements, too, which you should consider to improve your cholesterol profile.

JamiSue3916
07-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Hmmm...I don't know about this one. How high is your LDL? Most of what you need to do to reduce LDL focuses around exercise and healthy diet. They say that "weight loss and diet can account for up to a 20% reduction in LDL levels." So, I guess I find myself wondering 1) How high is your LDL? 2) How far has it come down since you started your journey? 3) Are you and/or your doctor concerned about the current number?

I guess if it's high enough and hasn't come down much since you started, maybe a 4oz of wine will be worth it. But I would get it checked again in 2 months to see if the LDL has been reduced enough to make the extra calories worth it.

BUT, if it has come down since you started, I say to stay focused on the exercise and healthy eating and then watch the LDL trend over a longer term.

OnMyWayDown
07-25-2011, 05:42 PM
My doctor told me that since I already drink that adding red wine was great but if you don't already drink that the addition of alcohol is not recommended.

Red wine is a great alternative to other alcohols but there is no health benefit to start drinking.