Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 12:28 PM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default What's Motivating you??

There have been many months that I could not get it together. Those months caused me to gain back 28.5 lbs. Even when the new year came - it just didn't do it for me. I wasn't committed. I knew I needed to be, but I didn't feel it.

Then it happened. Snowball lost 100 lbs. Now if that wasn't enough, she did it in 10 months. 10 MONTHS!!! You mean to tell me that in 10 months, I could be at 197.5. I just couldn't get it out of my mind. All I have to do is stick to this for 10 months and I could weigh 197. 10 months would be Jacob's 3rd birthday!! 10 lbs a month. That would be my goal.

Then I read an article on the 3FC home page about obesity cutting years off your life. Figured it did. But when I read the article, it said that a 5'5" woman at 150 was cutting 3 years off her life and 180 lb woman was cutting 6-7 years off her life. OMG!!! How many years was I cutting off my life at 297!!! In a post once someone asked if you would give up any of your life to be thin right now. I answered that I would not give up one day of my life to be thin, because I want to spend as much time here on earth with my family. But...by being fat...I am giving up years. LOTS OF THEM!!!

No more. I started SERIOUSLY on the 10th and haven't looked back.

That's what motivating me!! What's motivating you?
Old 01-17-2003, 01:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

wow, you do sound super motivated, sandi.

hm, i don't sound like that, but it's the thought of feeling healthier. not panting when riding my bike to school. playing a game of frisbee for fun, not worrying about the running.

plus, david keeps me motivated, and reminds me when i'm doing well. he even rewards me, with chinese food! (he didn't think i've been eating enough the last few days, so chinese food for dinner last night, yay!!)

my motivation level is not SUPER high, but it's there and it's a constant. i'm happy with that.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:26 PM   #3  

The baby! But, that's just my motivator to finally get it done. There are so many other reasons. . .

In this autobiography I had to write for the adoption application I was supposed to write about my biggest disappointment in life. I determined that my WEIGHT was my biggest disappointment. The more I gained, the more I felt like I was getting deeper and deeper in a big hole I couldn't climb out of.

Then, I've found that the small victories become motivation. Once I get the idea "I CAN do this," it starts to SNOWBALL (hee hee hee). I wanna be like SNOWBALL.

Watch our motivation roll down that mountain, getting BIGGER and BIGGER, adding to itself until we all make GOAL!

Angi
Old 01-17-2003, 03:04 PM   #4  

Sandi, I'm glad I could be a source of motivation for you It's true, if I can do this, ANYBODY can do this!!! Some of the habits I had before starting this were atrocious!

What's motivating me? It started out with just simply not wanting to be fat anymore. I was very, very obese. I didn't want that anymore, but it was for vanity reasons more than health reasons. I was tired of only being able to shop at Lane Bryant (and it was scary when some of their clothes were starting to get too tight!). I was tired of being the only "fat" friend in the group I hang out with. I was tired of not wanting to be romantic with my husband because I was disgusted with myself (he still loved me anyway, but I felt horrible).

So I joined WW just wanting to be normal. Those things still motivate me, but there's more now, & things that aren't so superficial. Physically, I feel better than I have in a LOOOONG time. I am enjoying working out. Mentally, I also feel better (I still have a bit of work to do on my "mental picture" of myself, but I'm getting better bit by bit). It motivates me to look in the mirror & see that I actually have a pretty face that was hidden under all that fat for so long. Planning to run in a 10K run this fall motivates me. And I know some people say you shouldn't try to lose weight for an event, but my brother is getting married on August 2 of this year & I really want to be able to fit into this gorgeous sleeveless dress for the wedding (I think if I drop 25-30 more pounds, it will fit perfectly!). Lastly, the people here & others like you guys motivate me. People who understand that it isn't always about food & being overweight is sooo much more than that.

Oh, & one last thing, I have a doctor's appointment this March & I can't wait to see the look on my dr's face when he sees I've lost over 100 pounds!
Old 01-17-2003, 03:15 PM   #5  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

My motivation is kind of weird. When I started my weightloss, I bought a pair of red tab Levi's. I've never owned a pair of Levi's before this, and these ones are a 36" waist. I hung them on my bedroom wall as motivation, saying I will be in them. And guess what? Last night I got into them, and got them done up too! They are still a bit uncomfortable to wear though, but I am so happy, that that just adds to my motivation. And also seeing the women here succeed makes me realised that I can do it too.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:55 PM   #6  

Lots of little things are motivating me. My kids are getting to the age (almost 4 and 6) that they want Mommy to DO things with them and I don't want to miss out. I've been skating with them, but they want to ski. Last time I skied was before I had kids. I was 50 or 60 pounds lighter and STILL the biggest on the mountain!

They love a place not too far from here called StoryLand. There's one amusement ride (the flyings dutch shoes) that has a weight limit. My youngest is too young to ride alone and I'm too big to ride with her. eeeek!!!

And ... I need more energy and I think weight loss will help!

And,I have to admit it was very exciting to see the post that Snowball lost 100lbs. It was like finally a 'REAL PERSON' proving that it can be done!

I started Jan 2 and my motivation level has been high. Sometimes I even surprise myself -- lol!
Old 01-17-2003, 05:49 PM   #7  
Losing Again!

Something just hit me over the holidays, like a ton of unidentified bricks. Something just clicked in my head, I knew I had to do something official. Taking matters into my own hands was obviously something that has not worked, and so I began seeking other options, and landed at WW on December 30.

My 10 year high school reunion is coming up next summer, and I'd like to weigh less than I did in HS (235), and much less if possible. I am a church youth worker, and our group will most likely be doing an adventure trip next summer, including backpacking/rock climbing/mountain biking and whitewater rafting. We did this two summers ago, and it was great, an amazing trip, but it almost killed me to haul my 50+ lb. pack, and have a good attiude for 18+ miles in 3 days. Not to mention the whole blubberfest getting into a wetsuit for the rafting part.

Those are all things that motivate me, but my biggest motivation is that this is a gift I am giving to myself. That if I am investing in being on a program, then I owe it to myself to stay OP. So far it's working. I think I figured out the other day that if I were to loose 2 lb. a week average, it will take me 80 weeks of being OP to get to my goal. That's $800, paid out fairly painlessly over 80 weeks. Right now that sounds better to me than surgery, I'm not ready to consider that, I'm still fairly young, and I think I have some time before I would consider having the surgery. I don't want to have to decide to have the surgery, and that is big motivation for me!
Old 01-17-2003, 06:59 PM   #8  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Sandi- I was counting on you Chica. I'm so glad something clicked with you.

Something UN-clicked with me. I was doing great. Losing 14 pounds in one month. Exercising everyday. And then, I got sick. AGH! Now, I'm well but not in the mood anymore. So, this is it. Next week, I start school and darn it. I'm tired of being the fattest girl in the room (and believe me I check, "no, thinner, thinner, thinner, way thinner. Yep, I'm the fattest.")

Thanks for posting this. I need need need my motivation back and Sandi (who was the first person to ever make an impression on me here) was the perfect person to initiate it.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:53 PM   #9  
Searching

Talking I find little motivations everywhere

My #1 reason for starting this journey is probably like alot of you, I am just sick to death of being fat. I had lost 100 lbs. 5 years ago and gained it all back plus till I got up to 265. Then I worked again and got down to 170. Then I left myself get back up to 231. I am sick to death of up and down. I am positively crushed by the fact that my favorite summer dress did not fit this last summer.

So now I am so happy I found this place I find motivation in the people like Snowball, the wonderful ladies who encourage me on all the threads, the comments in my journal. I feel really blessed and motivated by the people here. Also if I make statement her like I will, 99% of the time I do! Thats a beautiful thing to be accountable.

Miss Chris
Old 01-17-2003, 10:16 PM   #10  

The biggest thing motivating me right now is my beautiful, almost 3 months old, little girl. I want to be around to see my grandkids, and maybe even great-grandkids! There is also the fact that I never ever want her to be embarassed about having a fat mom, the way my cousins were, and I want to be able to comfortably crawl around on the floor with her. Right now, it is all I can do to bend over and pick things up off of the floor, getting down there to play wouldn't be possible right now.
Plus, I have lots of cute clothes that I was just starting to get back into, before I started re-gaining the weight, and got pregnant, that have never been worn, I want to wear them all, and then get rid of them when they are to big!!!

Nicole
272/269/160
Old 01-18-2003, 12:16 AM   #11  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

My stepsister (Miss Rachel) is getting married in October. My beautiful, gorgeous, THIN stepsister. Think if J-Lo had Drew Barrymore's face. I know we come from different genes but it's very hard not to feel like a fat ugly cow next to her.

The last time I saw everyone on my stepmom's side of the family, it was for her sister's funeral in June 2000. I want to look a lot better, feel healthier, etc for this wedding. My goal is a size 16, but that's just numbers. I'd be happy 2 sizes down from now @ a 20.

Rachel & I shared a beautiful moment about 11 years ago, while shopping for a prom dress for me. She was 12, I was a size 22 at the time; she found a beautiful dress on the sale rack & brought it to me. It was mostly lace w/long sleeves (I'll go into my rant about sleeves some other time), black lace skirt, white lace top. It went a little something like this:

Rachel: Do you like this one?

Me: Yes, I do! What size is it?

Rachel: Um, 18. But you have to at least try it on!

Me: Ok.

(5 minutes later)

Me: Rach? Can you come zip me up?

(She zips me after telling me "Hold your breath", which I like SO much better than "Suck it in". I whirl around.)

Rachel: (in awe) You look like a princess!

Me: I...can't...breathe!

So I'd like to look like a princess again, I guess. Don't get me wrong. I would never want to outshine my lil sis on her big day. Mostly, I don't want to stand out too much, having everyone ask, "Who's that?" They will be asking that anyway if I have my way w/this battle of the weight.

I love Raelynn's idea about the jeans on the wall. I have a pair of size 20's that I think I just might do that with!

I also wanted to say that all of you guys here inspire me, in different ways. Doing what is right *for each of you*. Encouraging me, letting me know I'm not alone when I slip. Giving me great ideas that I can incorporate. This is a great bunch of people.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:43 AM   #12  
Slowly going crazy!

My Motivation:

I want to look as sexy as I feel. *LOL*...
My mother-in-law sent pics to me of their visit to us from this last October. I am still MORTIFIED at what I saw. How come other people don't take pictures of me that make me look like the mother of Moby Dick? ? ?
I don't even want to think about how those pictures are being dragged from family gathering to family gathering on the East Coast (we live on the West Coast).

That was it. I was tired of yo-yoing...so I dove into the Lap-Band. I know surgery is not an option for a lot on this board, but for me it was IT...I couldn't yo-yo anymore. It was making my head spin.
I'm doing well, but it's still a daily struggle with head-hunger vs. stomach hunger.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:55 AM   #13  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Daners..."blubberfest"... !!!

Pretty Face...A few years ago, I was shopping for a special occasion dress and my daughter was my dressing room runner. She kept bring these really cute outfits, until she handed me a size 18 plush cow print mini-skirt. I could hear her giggling, and I burst out laughing! I tried it on for giggles...."Just buy me a double-wide and call me Lurleen!" It was the most fun I've ever had shopping for clothes.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:23 PM   #14  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

My motivation is that I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I have so many health problems, most of them weight related, that I just feel like crap most of the time. I want to be able to turn over in bed without it being a major operation. I want to be able to dash for the phone or doorbell and get there before it stops ringing and the people go away. I want to be comfortable in a regular sized chair. I want to be able to walk without huffing and puffing and pain. I want to have a lap again. I want to bend over and pull the weeds in my roses without feeling like I'm going to pass out. I don't want to live in the fear of a heart attack or a stroke every time I move. I want to get off the 15 different kinds of medications I take. I want to LIVE instead of just being alive.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:40 PM   #15  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

One of the other girls in the office does the low carb thing. She is not fat, but chubby. I had complained to her on Monday that Sunday had done me in last week. Then on Friday, I was complaining how hard weekends are. She agreed. Then as she was walking out the door on Friday, she said "Oh, I'll give you $20.00 on Monday if you don't cheat on your diet this weekend....and you owe me $20.00 if you do". I slipped in something like "same goes for you".

Now talk about motivation. No how about we make a bet, no time for rules, just here it is! It's Saturday afternoon and I am 100% on plan, with the rest of the weekend laid out OP. And it is every bit because of what she said. Now mind you, it's not the money. It's just...I don't know. Maybe someone caring that much. To be thinking about me on the way out the door. I can't wait to walk in Monday morning and tell her to PAY UP!!!!

Hey...if she did bad, she'll have to give me $40.00. $20.00 because I did good and $20.00 because she didn't!!
Closed Thread