Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Thoughts on Hot Sauce?

View Full Version : Thoughts on Hot Sauce?

Embuhlee
07-25-2011, 02:06 AM
I'm an addict of the stuff. I love it. Especially's Franks.

For salads and stuff, instead of dressing, I'll use hot sauce. I put it on everything. xD

Best part is that it's 0 calories... meaning I can burn my tastebuds off and not feel guilty. :P

Your thoughts on hot sauce? Like it or no? What do you put it on that people might find a bit strange? xD

yoyoma
07-25-2011, 06:08 AM
I am not addicted to it, but thanks for reminding me that I should be using more of it! I will be adding some to my egg scrambles. I've heard lots of good things about adding hot spice to food (increased metabolism, levels blood sugar, may help fight certain cancers).

nelie
07-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Hot sauce is in my blood :). Tapatio is probably my favorite hot sauce and I like Herdez or Frontera salsa. I use salsa for salad dressing but yeah there is hardly a meal without some spice for me.

kateleestar
07-25-2011, 09:00 AM
I love hot sauce... And Frank's is my fave too. I use it on everything... most everything, lol.. It's so good.

Embuhlee
07-25-2011, 09:08 AM
yoyoma: o: I never heard about cancer prevention from hot sauce before... that's really cool. xD Next time I'm questioned about my use of it, I'll have a solid defense, hahaha.

nelie: What pepper is Tapatio made from?

kateleestar: xD I agree, hehehe.

nelie
07-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Embuhlee, here is their website but all they say is red peppers. Valentina is another good one.
http://www.tapatiohotsauce.com/

nikkinouille
07-25-2011, 10:23 AM
I love hot sauce. I'm a Texas Pete fan. I put it on eggs, salad, in soup, tuna, hot dogs, lol... you get the point.

mayness
07-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Two of the condiments that I absolutely must keep in the house are Frank's and Sriracha. :D (Along with salsa and spicy brown mustard. I like some heat! ;) )

I've read something about spicy food being more satisfying (mentally) so you end up eating less. I don't know if that's really true or not.

Bellamack
07-25-2011, 10:34 AM
I love hot sauce. I'm a Texas Pete fan. I put it on eggs, salad, in soup, tuna, hot dogs, lol... you get the point.

Me too. Hubby like's Franks because he is from Buffalo. lol

annie175
07-25-2011, 10:38 AM
I also put it in nonfat cottage cheese and on baked potatos. Love the heat! Don't have a fav. just like the heat.

LataJones
07-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Two of the condiments that I absolutely must keep in the house are Frank's and Sriracha. :D (Along with salsa and spicy brown mustard. I like some heat! ;) )

Same here! I love Frank's and Sriracha. If a dish is too bland, I will stir in one of the sauces. I've even coated popcorn in Sriracha to give it more flavour. So yummy and very little calories.

Shannon in ATL
07-25-2011, 11:04 AM
I use hot sauce on just about everything, also. I like the Ring of Fire products, from Mike & Diane's Gourmet Kitchen (http://www.mikeanddianes.com/). Love them.

Embuhlee
07-25-2011, 11:10 AM
nelie: Thanks for the link! The label looks really familiar - I think I might've seen it in a restaurant or something. xD

Hot sauce on baked potatoes is good, I agree. xD
During the summer, I live with my parents, and will put the stuff on a lot of what my mother cooks. She thinks it's insulting. :P Hehehe.

tommy
07-25-2011, 12:22 PM
I am never without several different types along with a jar of red pepper flakes. The current line up is Tabasco (regular), El Yucateco hot and XXXTRA hot habanero, Marie Sharp's habanero, and my new favorite - a yuzu and hot pepper sauce

Riddy
07-25-2011, 11:11 PM
I like hot sauce on all the usual suspects - eggs, soup, pizza, etc. I love making Rachael Ray's Buffalo Chicken Chili - a healthier way to get that wing flavor! http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/buffalo-chicken-chili/

Sometimes I'll just eat cheese with hot sauce on it. :o:o:o

popspry
07-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the reminder! I forgot how much I like hot sauce and I've been wanting a way to spice up my tuna salad I eat a lot for lunch.

Sunshine87
07-26-2011, 12:28 AM
I LOVE hot sauce (Franks of course). My favorite things to eat it on is deviled eggs, eggs in general, all southwestern foods, veggie burgers, & melted cheese on crackers. I have never tried it with a salad dressing. Interesting.

m3rma1d
07-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Loooooove hot sauce! I used to HATE spicy foods, but in the last coupla years I want more and more! I have two current favorite things to put hot sauce on #1: hard boiled eggs.
#2: this salad I make with spinach & spring mix, grape tomatoes, 1 tbs ranch dressing, 2 homemade cut up panko breaded baked chicken breast tenders, and LOTS of hot sauce... It's like a buffalo chicken salad, SOOOOOOOOoooooo yummy!

Embuhlee
07-26-2011, 11:33 AM
That recipe for the chicken chili sounds absolutely fantastic. o: Thanks for sharing!

jillnicole03
07-26-2011, 09:53 PM
I LOVE hot sauce!! My fav is Louisiana Hot Sauce, YUM. 0 cal. I Love 0 cal Buffalo Sauce too.

Riddy
07-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Ooh, I just remembered I like to make a Buffalo chicken salad - canned chicken, ranch dressing, shredded cheddar, and lots of Frank's. Yummy!

I make Rachael's Buffalo chicken chili all the time. It works with cut up chicken or ground turkey, and in the crock pot, too. And I always add extra veggies - usually the whole bunch of celery, and a 1 pound bag of carrots. :carrot:

neek87
07-27-2011, 02:05 PM
I have always been a Louisiana Hot Sauce girl; it's sooo good! I'm really open to trying new foods/brands. So I saw this thread and went out and bought Franks since everyone is talking about it. I got original and extra hot flavors. Can't wait to try them!

CanadianCutie
07-27-2011, 02:16 PM
I love hot sauce, but moreso I love hot peppers. The spicier the better (and it's hard to find spicy ones where I live)

Embuhlee
07-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Macaroni and cheese.
Hot sauce in macaroni and cheese is the best invention on this Earth.

neek87
07-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Ok so I have had the pleasure of using the Franks Original Hot Sauce and Franks Extra Hot Sauce and both are absolutely delicious! So glad I found this thread and decided to buy this brand. Still love my Louisiana Hot Sauce, but there's nothing wrong with mixing things up every now and then.

Also, I purchased Sriracha Sauce this morning and can't wait to try it later.

neek87
07-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Ok I decided to make my afternoon snack a 100 calorie bag of popcorn. I usually eat it with Louisiana Hot Sauce and a few other seasonings but instead of my typical hot sauce I used Sriracha Sauce. This is now my new favorite hot sauce. It's thick, garlicky, and very spicy! I am in love.

So glad I found this thread and that a couple of people mentioned Sriracha. It's definitely one of my must-have condiments now!

biancasimone
07-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Tabasco is where it's at! Super spicy and super flavorful :) Not too crazy about the "variations" of Tabasco though (except the green pepper one, it's pretty good).

Pretty sure a couple people have mentioned Tapatio, but no one has mentioned Cholula!!!! It was one of the first hot sauces I tried at a restaurant (pretty sure it was an IHOP and that it was on an omelet). It has a great balance between flavor and heat :)

tdiprincess
07-31-2011, 10:15 PM
My taste for spicy food has grown. Hubby and I went to Mexico for a few months this year. When we first went we would barely use the hot salsas. By the end we were putting tons on our tacos! YUM!!

Love the frank's for eggs, chicken and dips.
Siracha for spicing up some soups and tuna.
Cayenne for chocolate cake (gives a hint of heat but also intensifies the chocolate as well)
Salsa instead of salad dressing! YUM! I need to make some fresh salsa soon! The tomatoes are almost ripe in the garden!! :P

azmom
08-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Love love love sriracha....especially on Chinese chicken salad and stir fry's with noodles!

my2cats
08-12-2011, 05:29 AM
I absolutely love Frank's.. I cut it 50/50 with Italian salad dressing on a salad with chicken strips and it's just amazing.

I also randomly put it on vegetables that are kind of bland.. ok.. anything that tastes kind of bland. :lol:

A few weeks ago, my IM status message was "I just discovered Frank's Hot Sauce, and now everything I eat tastes like buffalo wings!" :lol: So yeah.. I like it

Based on this thread I'm going to look for sriracha too. :)

my2cats
08-12-2011, 10:14 PM
So tonight I went out and found sriracha... really enjoying it!

It's not as spicy as I expected - it actually has less heat than Frank's to me which is kind of nice because I don't quite get to the nose-dripping weepy "have to stop for a second" state I sometimes do if I really load on the Frank's. Has a good flavor - I mixed it in with some tuna and mmmm.

I also picked up the largest bottle of Frank's they had at the store. How am I just now discovering hot sauce?! I thought it all tasted tart and vinegary like Tabasco but it's so good.

After trying Tabasco, Cholula, and Tapatio - all of which I "liked" ok, but quickly grew tired of - I'm really excited to have found Frank's and Sriracha. :)

Suzanne 3FC
08-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Gay Caballero from Rancho Gordo (http://www.ranchogordo.com). It's very difficult to catch it in stock and I'm having withdrawals! I'm scared they may not make another batch. It's not too hot, and it has spices such as cinnamon to give it a different type of kick. The only other hot sauce I like is Lingham's, a sweet hot sauce from Malaysia.

neek87
08-17-2011, 01:01 PM
mytwocats, so glad you discovered Franks and Sriracha! They're my new two faves too (thanks to this thread). Happy Hot Saucing! :-p

tommy
08-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Gay Caballero from Rancho Gordo (http://www.ranchogordo.com). It's very difficult to catch it in stock and I'm having withdrawals! I'm scared they may not make another batch. It's not too hot, and it has spices such as cinnamon to give it a different type of kick. The only other hot sauce I like is Lingham's, a sweet hot sauce from Malaysia.

Suzanne: straight from Steve Sando today, in response to your plea:
"Yes, it's on its way back, along with Rio Fuego. I think six weeks, realistically. "

:)

ANOther
08-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Sriracha YEAH! I don't care that much for Tabasco on solid food because it has a vinegary afternote, but it's ok in chicken soup because the broth dilutes the vinegar

MonicaM
08-19-2011, 05:26 PM
My oldest son had hot sauce at a college friend's home on scrambled eggs years ago and had me buy some. Since then, my husband, other sons and I have used it on many dishes. I buy whichever is cheapest. I add it to my spaghetti sauce, quiche, homemade low-cal barbecue sauce, ANY recipe that calls for cream of whatever soup..........

Restypines
08-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Embuhlee, here is their website but all they say is red peppers. Valentina is another good one.
http://www.tapatiohotsauce.com/

I LOVE Valentina, and I hate most others.

arizonaskye
02-01-2012, 05:52 AM
hot sauce pretty much makes EVERYTHING more awesome....popcorn,soup,chicken,tacos, eggs, hash browns, lettuce wraps, mashed potatoes

my2cats
02-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Just thought I'd check in and add - 6 months later I'm still loving the sriracha. :D

stimkovs
02-01-2012, 07:58 AM
delicious and nutricious haha

CyndiM
02-01-2012, 08:03 AM
I can't find a sriracha without added sugar so still haven't tried it. I love anything hot, so sad there's one I can't try. I did buy habanero sauce once, that was almost too much even for me.

JudgeDread
02-01-2012, 10:44 AM
I personally loveeee Tabasco Chipotle...The regular Tabasco has a horrible overwhelming taste of vineger. But the Chipotle is full of flavor and isn't over the top spicey, just enough!

kateleestar
02-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Ooo! Hot sauce. Love.

My current favorite:

http://www.elyucateco.com/espanol/productos/salsas/habanera-verde.html

DH and I have been known to go throught a whole bottle in one sitting. LOL. I really really really (really) like hot sauce. The hotter the better.

We like hot sauce so much, I had little bottles customized for wedding favors. People STILL ask me about them.. it was good hot sauce. LOL. :D

Munchy
02-01-2012, 04:48 PM
I LOVE sriracha, franks, hot pepper flakes, or just powdered cayenne depending on the food, but I just bought ghost pepper salt from a little spice store and it is CRAZY spicy. Yum! It's pink salt and they warned me to use it as a finisher only, and not in my cooking :)

freelancemomma
02-01-2012, 11:45 PM
I also love hot sauce and put it on everything. I also discovered some very tasty pickled hot red peppers from our local Chinese grocery store, and use those liberally as well. I've loved hot foods ever since I was a kid.

F.

Riddy
02-02-2012, 09:47 PM
I LOVE sriracha, franks, hot pepper flakes, or just powdered cayenne depending on the food, but I just bought ghost pepper salt from a little spice store and it is CRAZY spicy. Yum! It's pink salt and they warned me to use it as a finisher only, and not in my cooking :)

I LOVE ghost pepper salt! I mail order mine from The Spice and Tea Exchange - I discovered one of their stores on vacation in Florida. It's soo hot! I've accidentally gone overboard on it a couple of times. :devil::devil::devil: Love it on eggs!

Munchy
02-03-2012, 09:23 AM
I LOVE ghost pepper salt! I mail order mine from The Spice and Tea Exchange - I discovered one of their stores on vacation in Florida. It's soo hot! I've accidentally gone overboard on it a couple of times. :devil::devil::devil: Love it on eggs!

I bought it on vacation in FL! St. Augustine? My guy is going to pick some up for me (he lives in Jacksonville) and bring more to me next week :)

GobabyGoGO
02-03-2012, 12:51 PM
I love Texas Pete, Franks Red Hot, and El Yucateco XXXtra Hot Kutbil-ik Mayan Style Habanero Hot Sauce. Yum!

Riddy
02-04-2012, 10:53 PM
I bought it on vacation in FL! St. Augustine? My guy is going to pick some up for me (he lives in Jacksonville) and bring more to me next week :)

Nope, I vaca near Tampa. They have stores in Tarpon Springs and John's Pass. Can't wait to go back in April. :cool: Are you on their mailing list? They do a free shipping promo once or twice a year.

O/T, have you tried their smoked salts? Oh. My. Yum. So good on steak, chicken, fish, green beans..... And their Florida Sunshine is my everyday salt now - it's got citrus peel mixed in with the salt. And Pirate Bite! That s*** is seriously hot!

Munchy
02-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Nope, I vaca near Tampa. They have stores in Tarpon Springs and John's Pass. Can't wait to go back in April. :cool: Are you on their mailing list? They do a free shipping promo once or twice a year.

O/T, have you tried their smoked salts? Oh. My. Yum. So good on steak, chicken, fish, green beans..... And their Florida Sunshine is my everyday salt now - it's got citrus peel mixed in with the salt. And Pirate Bite! That s*** is seriously hot!

Oh, I have to try those! Thanks for the recommendations :)