Nutrition and Labeling - 2 eggs a day...cholesterol okay?

View Full Version : 2 eggs a day...cholesterol okay?

doopdoop
07-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Can anyone tell me whether or not it is actually harmful to consume that much dietary cholesterol every day? I've heard a lot of back and forth talk about whether it's actually an issue or not for people without heart disease.

Some background on me:
I'm young, early 20s
Workout 5+ times a week
Don't consume a significant amount of cholesterol from any other foods
On a low-cal diet

yoyoma
07-24-2011, 08:12 AM
I think that if it is a concern of yours, you should talk to your doctor about it.

That said, I am also eating 2 eggs a day currently. I am also on a low calorie diet, no other source of dietary cholesterol, but I am significantly older than you. I don't know how long I will keep eating 2 eggs a day, but I currently have no plans to stop. So, the upshot is that I, personally, am not worried about it (though the thought has crossed my mind). That doesn't mean it's a good idea though.

Esofia
07-24-2011, 08:40 AM
How's your family history regarding cholesterol and heart disease?

JerseyGyrl
07-24-2011, 11:30 AM
I guess you have to believe that cholesterol causes heart disease to begin with:smug:
http://douglbullock.com/blog/fat-and-cholesterol-kill-millions-the-cholesterol-myth-busted/

nelie
07-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Well anyone can make a blog...

I have low cholesterol because I don't have an in my diet but my body does make it. I have no brain fog or dementia. LDL cholesterol is a good thing to track because it doesn't move through the arteries as readily as HDL. Our body needs cholesterol but it also needs other things like glucose but too much glucose can be a bad thing just as much as too much cholesterol can be a bad thing.

I'd check with your doctor to see your cholesterol numbers. That is the only way to know.

Esofia
07-24-2011, 01:02 PM
That blog was hilarious! Apparently the high rate of heart disease is because everyone is eating a low-fat diet and the anti-meat industry is controlling the country! I'd really like to know which country that is, because I got the impression it was meant to be America, where there is a massive obesity problem, fat consumption is high (and definitely not falling), and the meat and dairy industries are extremely powerful.

A sane page on eggs and cholesterol may be found here (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/eggs/index.html).

peanutt
07-24-2011, 01:05 PM
The best bet is always to talk to your doctor. If you have a family history of heart disease and high cholesterol your doc may very well want you to limit your cholesterol intake more strictly. But if you're not carrying those risk factors and are living an active and healthy lifestyle then I would bet that the cholesterol intake from 2 eggs a day isn't going to be an issue for you.

doopdoop
07-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the input! My cholesterol levels were great last I checked, but I might limit it to 1 yolk a day anyway since eating both doesn't really make the meal significantly tastier.

strawbariana
10-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Rediegg is always a good replacement if you're concerned about cholesterol.

Adrianna11
11-03-2011, 06:11 AM
Eating two eggs a day, as part of an energy-restricted weight-loss diet, does not increase levels of ‘bad’ or total cholesterol. However, energy-restricted diets, that may contain a relatively high proportion of fat and cholesterol, have been shown to produce neutral or in some cases favourable effects on plasma cholesterol.

bellastarr
11-05-2011, 05:06 PM
try egg whites instead of eggs

zenor77
11-05-2011, 08:55 PM
From what I understand, the types of fat you consume are more important than dietary cholesterol intake. So, if your saturated fat intake is low otherwise, I'm sure it's fine.

Nibbles
11-06-2011, 12:24 PM
You know, I really do think the genetic component is huge when it comes to having high cholesterol. I know several people who eat like saints and still have to take medication for their cholesterol problems, while before I started this diet I treated butter like it was it's own food group, and my LDL (the "bad" cholesterol) was low and my HDL high when I had bloodwork done recently.

So, if you're at risk based on genetic factors, I would worry. Otherwise, enjoy eggs to your heart's content.

RHay
12-23-2011, 03:01 AM
hmmmm double check with the doc at your next appointment just to make sure.

stan255
01-08-2012, 03:11 PM
2 eggs is ok and that's the maximum you should take per day!

AKS020
01-21-2012, 04:00 AM
but i am eating approx 10 eggs a day with 5 yolks or sometimes even 10 yolks in a day . when i eat more yolks approx 10 i feel pain in mine head (may be headache)after 4-5 hours or sometimes after 2-3 hours
if i dont eat yolks i cant sallow whites as it dont tastes good
i do exercise for 2 hours daily for 6 days a week (heavy weight training and cardio)

einszwei
02-19-2012, 11:33 PM
2 eggs should be fine

Remember it is not so important how high your total cholesterol level is, what is important is how high your ldl cholesterol -bad cholesterol - is you want to keep this level down.

Jan2012
02-29-2012, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't eat more than 2 eggs a day, your body already makes cholesterol
If I haven't had eggs in a week, 4 eggs that one day I would think it's okay unless I ate something else high in cholesterol

Like someone else said, eggs whites; I put 1 whole egg (with yolk) and in with 3 additional egg WHITES

monstermom
03-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Egg whites!! If you really like/need to eat the yolk, keep it to one whole egg, and add two to three servings of egg whites...it's the protein from eggs that's important, and the protein is found in the whites, not the yolks. Personally, I only like the yolks if I'm eating a whole egg cooked over easy/medium. So if I'm making scrambled eggs or an omelet, I actually prefer the whites, as I don't like the taste of fully cooked yolks.

surfergirl2
03-01-2012, 01:44 PM
I thought it was now proven that there is no link between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol. Meaning you can eat all the eggs you want. Apparently, people on Atkins do and it doesn't affect their cholesterol.

ErBear
03-15-2012, 03:10 PM
I agree with the egg whites if you can stand it. If not, maybe make one whole egg with an egg white added. I've heard of a lot of people doing that who love their eggs!

I had high cholesterol at a dr's check up once when I was living a pretty unhealthy lifestyle and it only took a couple months to turn around with diet and exercise. I'm only 22 though so that might not be the case for all!

pixelllate
03-31-2012, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't eat more than 2 eggs a day, your body already makes cholesterol
If I haven't had eggs in a week, 4 eggs that one day I would think it's okay unless I ate something else high in cholesterol

Like someone else said, eggs whites; I put 1 whole egg (with yolk) and in with 3 additional egg WHITES

I thought that its mostly the cholesterol that your body already makes that affects the cholesterol levels, not the dietary cholesterol (those two don't add up together). All the articles I read just say that the dietary cholesterol from eggs "may" lead to high cholesterol-and "to be safe" eat 1-2 max a day. they did 1 study with women, but the women wouldn't eat more than 1 egg a day (grrr if they only they ate more so we'd have more statistical evidence) and their levels were fine, hence the 1 egg a day is ok rule, but I eat more than that lol.
I love eggs, they fill me up. I did the whole egg white thing-bought cartons (tried getting organic, but they prob mistreat those chickens-and the texture is strange), separated the eggs (annoying and a waste, the farmer's eggs are $$). So now I just eat the egg, egg whites alone make me hungrier.

threenorns
03-31-2012, 02:55 PM
i have VERY VERY low cholesterol - low enough that i always get a kick out of a dr's reaction on seeing the results for the first time (and more than once, they've reordered the test to confirm) - and i have always eaten butter, dairy, cheese, etc, like it's going out of style. i ate red meat daily.

the only reason i don't now is because of my low calorie allowance but you can bet your booties as soon as i've got caloric wiggle room, the first thing back on my menu is steak!

the trick to lowering your cholesterol as fast as possible is to force it to do its job: make bile. eat lots of oatmeal - minimum 2c/day - doesn't matter what kind, even the packet crap is okay. if you want major bang for your healthy buck, use steel-cut oats, add psyllium, maybe a bit of quinoa, and 3 dried fruits such as cranberries, cherries, and blueberries. 2c/day - but not at once, eat 1c morning and 1c evening. the inulin in the oatmeal and psyllium binds with bile and carries it out of your system. your system must then make more and to do that, it pulls cholesterol out of your bloodstream.

and violins!: lower cholesterol!

JEN3
04-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Can anyone tell me whether or not it is actually harmful to consume that much dietary cholesterol every day? I've heard a lot of back and forth talk about whether it's actually an issue or not for people without heart disease.

Some background on me:
I'm young, early 20s
Workout 5+ times a week
On a low-cal diet

You could use one whole egg and several egg whites or more to make your omelets. There is no cholesterol or Fat in the whites and they contain most of the protein. Some say, egg whites are the perfect protein and I live by it and I only eat meat for protein when I'm out of egg whites.

1 Egg white = 17 calories, 0g carbohydrates, 0g fat, 4g protein
1 Egg yolk = 58 calories, 1g carbohydrate, 5g Fat, 2g protein

Egg White Conversion Chart

3 tbsp. = about 1 large egg white
1/3 cup = about 2 large egg whites
3/4 cup = about 4 large egg whites
1 cup = about 8 large egg whites

Article

Eggs and Heart Disease

LINK (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/eggs/?__utma=1.596395377.1324426006.1333495547.13334984 41.15&__utmb=1.1.10.1333498441&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1333498441.15.15.utmcsr=hsph.harvard.edu| utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/nutritionsource/questions/healthy-fats/index.html&__utmv=-&__utmk=196877740)

"Recent research has shown that moderate egg consumption—up to one a day—does not increase heart disease risk in healthy individuals (1, 2) and can be part of a healthy diet. (Make sure to store eggs in the fridge and cook them until the whites and yolks are firm, to prevent food-borne illness."

sontaikle
04-08-2012, 09:15 AM
I had high cholesterol as a kid when I wasn't eating eggs. I ate cheerios every day. I was also pretty darn obese, so that might have had more to do with it.

I don't know how things are, but it's one of the things I'm concerned about now since I eat eggs all the time because of their protein content. In May I'll finally have health insurance again, so I plan to get a bunch of things done.

Demosthenes
04-09-2012, 02:04 AM
I have been troubled by the serum cholesterol / egg intake quagmire for various reasons. There is certainly a conflict in the literature based upon the fact that some people appear to have an increase in serum cholesterol based upon dietary intake and others do not. Depending on which patients are ruled out because of adjustments for lifestyle seems to sway the results of the studies more than anything. Since this appears to be the case I would recommend that you do a study for yourself: eat your regular diet including two eggs per day for eight weeks. Get a cholesterol screen at the doctor. If your numbers are within the optimal range you have your answer.

P.S.- I am not an expert so please ask your doctor's opinion first.

ValRock
04-09-2012, 02:46 AM
The more eggs I eat, the more my Cholesterol goes DOWN... so who knows. I don't personally see a link between healthy natural sources of cholesterol and my blood serum, other than in the opposite way 'they' say it should show.

JEN3
04-09-2012, 01:09 PM

Some background on me:
I'm young, early 20s
Workout 5+ times a week
On a low-cal diet

The Mayo Clinic

Eggs: Are they good or bad for my cholesterol?
Are chicken eggs good or bad for my cholesterol?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608

By Thomas Behrenbeck, M.D., Ph.D.

“When deciding whether to include eggs in your diet, consider the recommended daily limits on cholesterol in your food:

• If you are healthy, it's recommended that you limit your dietary cholesterol to less than 300 milligrams (mg) a day.

• If you have cardiovascular disease, diabetes or a high low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") blood cholesterol level, you should limit your dietary cholesterol to less than 200 mg a day.

One large egg has about 186 mg of cholesterol — all of which is found in the yolk. Therefore, if you eat an egg on a given day, it's important to limit other sources of cholesterol for the rest of that day. Consider substituting servings of vegetables for servings of meat, or avoid high-fat dairy products for that day.

If you like eggs but don't want the extra cholesterol, use only the egg whites. Egg whites contain no cholesterol. You may also use cholesterol-free egg substitutes, which are made with egg whites.”

Jan2012
05-04-2012, 03:19 AM
I thought that its mostly the cholesterol that your body already makes that affects the cholesterol levels, not the dietary cholesterol (those two don't add up together). All the articles I read just say that the dietary cholesterol from eggs "may" lead to high cholesterol-and "to be safe" eat 1-2 max a day. they did 1 study with women, but the women wouldn't eat more than 1 egg a day (grrr if they only they ate more so we'd have more statistical evidence) and their levels were fine, hence the 1 egg a day is ok rule, but I eat more than that lol.
I love eggs, they fill me up. I did the whole egg white thing-bought cartons (tried getting organic, but they prob mistreat those chickens-and the texture is strange), separated the eggs (annoying and a waste, the farmer's eggs are $$). So now I just eat the egg, egg whites alone make me hungrier.
This is not from me, but what I learned in class, it's a Pharmacology class :(
Your body makes most of the cholesterol needed, but, intake (dietary) cholesterol coming from eggs, meat, and other saturated fat sources can lead to higher cholesterol in your blood. There is influence either small or significant, but it largely depends on how your own body works, if you're healthy, are you predisposed to a condition etc. that is why doctors advice low consumption for the general population, to prevent complications. If you know your body well, some people can eat a lot of cholesterol and have low cholesterol in the blood! That's crazy!

Elsewhere is Fine
05-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Dietary cholesterol =/= blood cholesterol despite misleading names.
Saturated fat =/= increased risk for heart disease or higher cholesterol.
Papers/publications/people still say otherwise b.c. it's what they've always heard, but there are more recent studies that prove it wrong.
So two eggs a day should be fine!

veggiegirl123
05-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Egg whites!! If you really like/need to eat the yolk, keep it to one whole egg, and add two to three servings of egg whites...it's the protein from eggs that's important, and the protein is found in the whites, not the yolks. Personally, I only like the yolks if I'm eating a whole egg cooked over easy/medium. So if I'm making scrambled eggs or an omelet, I actually prefer the whites, as I don't like the taste of fully cooked yolks.

I didn't know this, thanks for the info!

Megan1982
06-06-2012, 02:53 PM

I have to respectfully disagree with this statement, though I suppose it also depends on what your definition of "important" is. Protein is found in both the egg yolk and the egg white. 1 large egg has 6.3 g of protein in it. 3.6 g of that protein is in the white, the rest is in the yolk. The yolk is where the cholesterol is found, but it is also where a lot of nutrients are found. I just quickly looked it up and found this website (http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html) that lists comparison between where nutrients are found in the egg - yolk or white. The website does cite its sources right below this table, and it matches with what I've learned elsewhere, though I take it with a grain of salt as I do everything on the internet and I admit I didn't follow through checking the sources.

If you are eating eggs only for a source of protein, yes, you can get protein from the whites. But I believe you miss out on a lot of important nutrients (there I go using the word "important" - to me, they are important!). I personally don't believe that dietary cholesterol is the demon it's made out to be, but I'm not sure to what extent I believe it actually contributes to one's cholesterol levels. I've read research going in both directions. Because high cholesterol runs in my family, I don't to eat more than two yolks a day, but I love my yolks! When I make egg salad I do a combo of whole eggs and whites, sometimes with eggs or omelets I will do the same.

meltaway
06-25-2012, 11:56 PM
I love boiled eggs. (I actually hate any other type.) ..and I'm not about to throw away the yolks. My cholesterol level is fine. Take what you want from that..but I'd do more research on the topic. There are a lot of alarmist articles/opinions out there...you have to arm yourself with the correct knowledge.
Eating egg whites alone to me, makes no kind of sense. But to each his own!

Jentry07
12-10-2012, 07:12 PM
I agree your best bet is going to be speaking to your doctor about it first and foremost if you are concerned, especially if you have a family history or yourself has high cholesterol!
With that being said... I have heard that this is just a myth and that 1-2 whole eggs a day is not enough to cause high cholesterol. If you are worried I would opt going for one whole egg and one or two egg whites. The cholesterol is in the yolk and by adding more egg whites you are still getting protein without the cholesterol!