General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/134/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Low carb, high protein, limited calories?

So much to know, so much to do! I'm still trying to figure out what kind of diet works best for me and to understand what each strategy entails. For example, I've heard a lot about low-carb diets, increasing fat and protein intake, and counting calories all as different ways to lose weight. I guess counting calories is pretty obvious, but the other two still confuse me. How does cutting carbs help lose weight? How does increasing fat intake help lose weight? It seems to go against logic! I would love for anyone who can to explain!
Zoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #2  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoseph View Post
So much to know, so much to do! I'm still trying to figure out what kind of diet works best for me and to understand what each strategy entails. For example, I've heard a lot about low-carb diets, increasing fat and protein intake, and counting calories all as different ways to lose weight. I guess counting calories is pretty obvious, but the other two still confuse me. How does cutting carbs help lose weight? How does increasing fat intake help lose weight? It seems to go against logic! I would love for anyone who can to explain!
Go to Youtube and look for Bowulf's channel. He explains Atkins a lot better then I can.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bowulf#g/u

Also check out the lowcarb section in these forums
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/134/120

Height: 5'2"

Oh wow thank you for that youtube link! I'm also looking at his blog now and while I've only skimmed it, it looks like it's going to help immensely. Thanks!
Zoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #4  

Quote:
Oh wow thank you for that youtube link! I'm also looking at his blog now and while I've only skimmed it, it looks like it's going to help immensely. Thanks!
Your welcome. There is also a lady on Youtube who does Atkins....well...she did Atkins but now she just started Body For Life. Anyway she started with Atkins and is now 120 pounds I think. I don't recall the exact number. Her name is fidgetforfitness (@ Youtube.) She was doing a low cal version of Atkins.....very small portions and she lost a lot of weight. You might want to check her out for meal ideas.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #5  

Quote:
I forgot to mention that if you have any questions about lAtkins he is really good about answering them. He is very nice.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #6  

Carbs cause water retention to the tune of 4 grams of water for every gram of carb. That's why the weight pours off in the beginning. Atkins is a very difficult plan to stick to for life.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote