General Diet Plans and Questions - Low carb, high protein, limited calories?

Zoseph
07-22-2011, 10:35 PM
So much to know, so much to do! I'm still trying to figure out what kind of diet works best for me and to understand what each strategy entails. For example, I've heard a lot about low-carb diets, increasing fat and protein intake, and counting calories all as different ways to lose weight. I guess counting calories is pretty obvious, but the other two still confuse me. How does cutting carbs help lose weight? How does increasing fat intake help lose weight? It seems to go against logic! I would love for anyone who can to explain!

canadianwoman
07-22-2011, 10:45 PM
So much to know, so much to do! I'm still trying to figure out what kind of diet works best for me and to understand what each strategy entails. For example, I've heard a lot about low-carb diets, increasing fat and protein intake, and counting calories all as different ways to lose weight. I guess counting calories is pretty obvious, but the other two still confuse me. How does cutting carbs help lose weight? How does increasing fat intake help lose weight? It seems to go against logic! I would love for anyone who can to explain!

Go to Youtube and look for Bowulf's channel. He explains Atkins a lot better then I can.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bowulf#g/u

Also check out the lowcarb section in these forums

Zoseph
07-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Oh wow thank you for that youtube link! I'm also looking at his blog now and while I've only skimmed it, it looks like it's going to help immensely. Thanks!

canadianwoman
07-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Oh wow thank you for that youtube link! I'm also looking at his blog now and while I've only skimmed it, it looks like it's going to help immensely. Thanks!

Your welcome. There is also a lady on Youtube who does Atkins....well...she did Atkins but now she just started Body For Life. Anyway she started with Atkins and is now 120 pounds I think. I don't recall the exact number. Her name is fidgetforfitness (@ Youtube.) She was doing a low cal version of Atkins.....very small portions and she lost a lot of weight. You might want to check her out for meal ideas.

canadianwoman
07-22-2011, 11:41 PM

I forgot to mention that if you have any questions about lAtkins he is really good about answering them. He is very nice.

QuilterInVA
07-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Carbs cause water retention to the tune of 4 grams of water for every gram of carb. That's why the weight pours off in the beginning. Atkins is a very difficult plan to stick to for life.