Old 07-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #1  
Walking the Journey

S/C/G: 307/ticker/175

Height: 5'7

Default Finding a Way of Eating - Advice?

So, I'm looking and learning and educating and doing all the things I'm SUPPOSED to do and I'm feeling... overwhelmed. Don't eat this, eat that. NO! Don't eat that, eat this! NO NO NO - eat this, eat this, and ONLY eat this.

I'm OVER it.

My basic plan had been "Eat good food, mostly plants, and less than you were." My fitness goals and my water goals are GREAT. Totally clear, easy to track, and working for me. But FOOD is where I fall apart.

How do I make sense of it all? How do I find what works for me?

We have eliminated (last year) High Fructose Corn Syrup and Hydro fats. I was considering cutting gluten, but is that enough? Do I need to subscribe to a Diet so that I have guides and accountability?

Your thoughts are SO appreciated!

-Kiki
Wyllowbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #2  
Walking the Journey

Oh... PS right now, I am writing everything down and tracking it the best I can online with Livestrong. I'm shooting at 1200-1500 calories a day, with a fitness plan of cardio 4x's a week, strength training 2x's a week.

Just FYI.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Where's the problem?

People follow lots of different plans for all sorts of different reasons. There are no magic rules. Finding what works for you is all that matters. It sounds to me like you have a pretty good starting point.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

I don't see a problem with what you're doing as long as it works for you.

There are people who subscribe to a more stringent set of rules, and then there are those who just aim for less. I think as long as the numbers are going down on the scale, and as long as you're satisfied with everything, then there's nothing missing.

There's no "right" or "wrong" way to go about it.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #5  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

Height: 5'5"

I have searched in vain for a food - any food - that all of the "experts" agree people who want to be healthy should eat. I used to think maybe carrots? But Google it and you'll find lots of people who believe that carrots are bad for you (something about them having a high glycemic index). Then, to make it worse, probably all of the experts agree that not eating anything is bad for you (though intermittant fasting seems to be trending lately). So, it appears like we have to eat something that at least some "experts" would tell us is unhealthy.

So, I, too, am over reading "why-this-is-bad-for-you" advice, and instead am concentrating on "why-this-is-good-for-you" advice. Lots of people lose lots of weight in lots of ways. And many even keep it off long-term. So, I'll keep eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, and even enjoy my starchy vegetables. I feel good, I'm losing weight, and I'm enjoying the food. And if someday I discover compelling evidence that suggests I will be healthier without carrots, I think I can survive without them. (Although I LOVE carrots with lemon juice - yummmm.)

If you're really struggling coming up with a food plan, though, maybe go read the maintainers forum for a while, select a person who seems to be close to you in terms of inclination (like how much structure you want, what types of food appeal to you, if they have the same ethical issues with food, etc.) and ask her to share her plan. Especially to get started, beginning with someone else's successful plan and slowly making it your own might be the best strategy.

Good luck!
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

As you diet more or make the decision to live a healthier lifestyle you will find what works for you. You just need to listen to what your body is telling you. You are at a good place to start. If you find that it is not working for you then you can try something different. Unfortunately there is no magic way. The only way to do this is trial and error. Many times when we go to the doctor they have to try a variety of different medications before we find the one that works for us. I suggest that you take that approach and try something for a while and if it is not working try something else. You will know soon enough what works for you.

Also I know you can do this if you put your mind to it!

Trish
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #7  
Walking the Journey

Thanks for the input, all. I suppose I just felt like I needed a plan with a name and rules to follow, though truth be told, I've never been much on rules. So, I think I'll stick to my goals.

I do think I'll be cutting refined whites, though. Sugars and carbs. Maybe I'll look to southbeach for cooking and snack ideas. I did Atkins back in the height of the craze and I dropped 85 lbs.... and put them back on. So I want it to be sane decisions and changes this time. I DID learn, however, a lot about carbs and which ones were best eliminated. And though I don't subscribe to that way of eating anymore, I do take some lessons from it.

I appreciate your feedback,

-Kiki
Old 07-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I think you're on the right track. For me, following a set plan is too much like being on a diet, and being on a diet implies there will be an end to it. I've come to realize there is not an end to healthy eating. At some point I'll add in a few more snacks and calories and (hopefully) maintain. I believe you'll succeed with the plan you've outlined in your last post. Learn from what you did in the past and keep moving forward.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 PM   #9  

I follow a low Gi style of eating - no rules as such just an overall view of how your body processes foods. Sounds like you are on the same of of track? Whole grains, no processed or refined foods, or at least in moderation. It's not a diet as such. So I do Low Gi within a loose calorie limit - but don't count religiously. Works for me..

I don't think I could follow a "eat this this week, then that next week" plan for the rest of my life. Might be a good way to get going, but I think my " feeling deprived" mentality would sabotage that after a while.
And I MUST lose weight if I want the rest of my life to be long and healthy!!

But that's me - we all are very different - in the end eat less;move more is the key.
MrsTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I second Lin's thought that eliminating foods or groups of foods that you eat can seem like a diet that will end at some point rather than a life long change in how you eat/live.

Also if you're looking for recipe ideas (you mentioned Southbeach) I have had some good luck with Cooking Light magazine.
spetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #11  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

My best advice. Make sure at meals you have a veggie a starch and some protein and at every snack make sure you have some type of fat, carb and protein. You are golden if you do that.
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote