Ideal Protein Diet - Athlete's Protocol-Here is the official sheet!

sonoio
07-22-2011, 10:55 AM
***NOTE: I REMOVED THE FIRST ATHLETE ATTACHMENT, SEE MY LATEST POST FOR CORRECT COPY!****
Here is what I was able to finally get from my coach. Despite his warning that this is for "athletes" who already have body fat of 10-15% (Gee, I didn't feel bad!) and I "still" am at a 39%....who am I to think I am worthy? Well, because I want to resume training for another marathon (#10 to be exact) and I don't want to lose muscle mass nor do I want to bonk out!

Make sure you have your coach figure out what your lean muscle mass is and what amount of protein you need to ADD to your daily intake in order NOT to lose muscle mass. In my case, it's 98.6 lbs which he said came out to about an extra 35-40g of protein, about 2 IP supplements/or other sources if phased off.

Watkat
07-22-2011, 11:26 AM
This is the Phase 1 sheet. This is not the one I think you want.

sonoio
07-22-2011, 12:14 PM
This is the Phase 1 sheet. This is not the one I think you want.

Hi Watkat, It looks similar, however, if you look at it closely you will see where the breakfast and lunch protocol differs. Also, note the important bolded notes at bottom of page.

Watkat
07-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Okay. I did. It is just like mine. ???

Gika
07-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Yeah, this is just regular phase 1. Maybe you mixed it up with the other one?

Sonio- do you mind sharing what method did they use to measure your body fat?

jennydoodle
07-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Yes, this looks identical to my standard Phase I sheet.

sonoio
07-22-2011, 02:52 PM
wait a sec...:dizzy:this is what my coach gave me.

Did you guys look at the protein intake for breakfast and lunch?

Maybe I have a "tweaked" phase 1 from my coach--which would not surprise me! :?:

That is not what my phase 1 sheet looks like. I know you all must think I am nuts, but my phase 1 is NOT like the one I posted titled Athlete Protocol!

If someone is willing to email me their "regular" Phase 1 sheet, I would very much appreciate it....

I will attach the "regular" phase 1 protocol I've been going by for 8 weeks in a separate post since I am unable to attach it to here for some reason
Thanks

sonoio
07-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Here it is. Please let me know if your phase 1 is different!

Thank you!

P.s. can you see why I think the athlete one is DIFFERENT?

sonoio
07-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Yeah, this is just regular phase 1. Maybe you mixed it up with the other one?

Sonio- do you mind sharing what method did they use to measure your body fat?

Hi Gika,
I step on a scale that is hooked up to a computer. They get my water %, my body fat, the BMI...and lean muscle mass too. My coach is also measuring my arms, waist, hips, and thighs.

Gika
07-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Here it is. Please let me know if your phase 1 is different!

Thank you!

P.s. can you see why I think the athlete one is DIFFERENT?

Sorry, I don't see the difference at all :?:

and that is so cool that they do a body composition analysis at your clinic. My clinic pretty much sucks, all they have is an analog scale sigh.

sonoio
07-22-2011, 03:23 PM
for my Regular IP phase 1 I can have only 3 IP packs. The athlete protocol calls for up to 5.

Gika
07-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Both of the protocols that you attached call for 3 IP packs a day?

Maybe try opening the first attachment your posted..and you'll see it calls for 3 packs.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be annoying..

coliep
07-22-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't see any difference between the two posted :/ Both look just like my regular old phase I.

Momto2cs
07-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Yes. I don't see any mention of extra packets on this sheet.

When I was on phase 1 I always had an extra packet as I work out a lot and my body fat is below 20%...

A marathon would definitely call for more calories!

waterbaby102
07-22-2011, 04:20 PM
you may have attached the wrong file. the file you attached is named "Phase 1 - Ideal Protein" not Athlete Protocol. i did see a slight difference though, the first one you attached has the occasional veggies listed while your second file did not. Both files indicate 3 IP envelopes (breakfast, lunch, and snack).

sonoio
07-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Ha ha ha....waterbaby102.....I don't wear glasses and I know I can see so here is what I see:
Regular IP Phase 1-
Breakfast 1 IP
(optional) coffee/tea with 1oz skim milk
1 natura multi
1 natura potassium

For the Athlete sheet:
Breakfast:
1-2 IP envelopes oatmeal or omelette
coffee/tea and vitamins are the same

*So the difference for breakfast is the 1 extra IP packet! Right??

For lunch the diff is that aside the 1 IP packet, it says PLUS 1 Hard Boiled egg or 1/3 can of Tuna

jordanna
07-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Go click on the link of the original IP Phase 1 sheet you posted, it doesn't say anything about athletic protocol or 2 pkgs for breakfast etc...

It is the exact same sheet as the one you uploaded the second time only without yellow highlighted information.

rooster on a diet
07-22-2011, 05:16 PM
ok fiew!!! i though i was going crazy reading this post.lol But would love to see what the athletic protocol is all about. Ive been losing ok 3-5 pounds a week on regular phase one. Would i lose the same on athletic or would i just lose less cuz im eating more?

sonoio
07-22-2011, 05:16 PM
:o Yikes, I went back and checked the attachements and realized what some of you already did....I attached the SAME regular file TWICE! Yikes! I bet you all thought I was :dizzy: Well, it's Friday and the end of a lonnng week.....but I won't even blame it on that. I am so sorry for any and all confusion caused!

How do I go about DELETING my initial post with the INCORRECT attachment???

Thank you all,

Here is the RIGHT one AT LAST!

jordanna
07-22-2011, 05:29 PM
:o Yikes, I went back and checked the attachements and realized what some of you already did....I attached the SAME regular file TWICE! Yikes! I bet you all thought I was :dizzy: Well, it's Friday and the end of a lonnng week.....but I won't even blame it on that. I am so sorry for any and all confusion caused!

How do I go about DELETING my initial post with the INCORRECT attachment???

Thank you all,

Here is the RIGHT one AT LAST!

There you go!

Just go back to your original post and edit it, open the attchement area, delete the original attachment and attach the correct protocol.

jennydoodle
07-22-2011, 05:39 PM
ok fiew!!! i though i was going crazy reading this post.lol But would love to see what the athletic protocol is all about. Ive been losing ok 3-5 pounds a week on regular phase one. Would i lose the same on athletic or would i just lose less cuz im eating more?

This is what I am experimenting with this week. I typically eat 4 packets on workout days and this I am trying 5 to see if I have better or worse losses. I workout pretty hard core so my and my doc's thinking was that I need more protein. I will certainly keep you all posted as to what happens. :)

sonoio
07-22-2011, 06:01 PM
There you go!

Just go back to your original post and edit it, open the attchement area, delete the original attachment and attach the correct protocol.

Ha ha Jordanna, I figured out how to go back and edit and REMOVE the bad copy and then had a separate post with the correct one. Thanks for all your help!

sonoio
07-22-2011, 06:04 PM

I am so sorry rooster! :^: I made a lot of people go crazy including myself....but alas, I think I fixed it. Whew! My coach did not specify a difference in losing but merely ensured I was NOT going to lose muscle mass....by adding the extra protein. For my marathon training I am not training at race pace, in fact, I am supposed to train at a much slower pace in order to ensure fat burning. So, I am out running longer but end up buring more of my own fat versus the freshly consumed carbs.

sonoio
07-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Can everyone see the DIFFERENCE now?

Gika
07-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Yes! Thanks so much for uploading it! :)

jennydoodle
07-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Ha ha! Yes, I can see the difference ;)

Thank you again for posting the actual sheet.

coliep
07-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Beyond the additions at breakfast and lunch and snack, I believe the salt increases from 1/2 to 1-2 tsps and it notes to take an extra potassium if you have cramping - those might be key. I know I am increasing my salt even on days I am just out in this nasty heat!!

waterbaby102
07-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Ha ha ha....waterbaby102.....I don't wear glasses and I know I can see so here is what I see:
Regular IP Phase 1-
Breakfast 1 IP
(optional) coffee/tea with 1oz skim milk
1 natura multi
1 natura potassium

For the Athlete sheet:
Breakfast:
1-2 IP envelopes oatmeal or omelette
coffee/tea and vitamins are the same

*So the difference for breakfast is the 1 extra IP packet! Right??

For lunch the diff is that aside the 1 IP packet, it says PLUS 1 Hard Boiled egg or 1/3 can of Tuna

thanks

Watkat
07-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Much appreciated. I will be doing this when I lose 50 pounds. back to running.

wuv2bloved
08-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Bump

sonoio
08-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Bump
thanks for the bump!

Bling
08-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Sonoio, thanks for the protocole. Not sure If I consider myselfl athletic but will have to talk to coach about this
http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-blue2/flower05/lb/170/140/149.8/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

aggies86tbc
08-22-2011, 01:01 PM
I have tired to talk to my coach about adding. I can't keep up with my exercise and feel good. I run maybe 15 - 20 miles per week, ride horse 2x a week, zumba 2x a week and getting ready to incorporate weights. I don't know if this is considered athletic

showgirlaz
08-22-2011, 01:17 PM
I am sure coaches tell different things about the athletic protocol, as is done with many other things on IP, but, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents of experience.

I was told the athletic protocol is for people who are exercising at least 5 hours a day.

I was also told although some previously informed coaches would still know about and possibly offer the protocol, IP is no longer offering an athletic protocol.

wuv2bloved
10-27-2011, 01:44 PM
bump

ams94
02-27-2012, 05:49 PM
I was told by my coach to add a packet after exercising (i have been running 5.5 mph x 3.1miles) but I haven't done it yet. This week I haven't lost any weight. I checked my urine today and was in ketosis still (but low level). Am I doing more harm with this exercise??

sekc14
02-28-2012, 04:00 PM
I was told by my coach to add a packet after exercising (i have been running 5.5 mph x 3.1miles) but I haven't done it yet. This week I haven't lost any weight. I checked my urine today and was in ketosis still (but low level). Am I doing more harm with this exercise??

Every time I exercise hard my weight loss slows down. Although, I swim which makes me very hungry so I eat extra and it still slows down the weight loss. I haven't tried keeping it up to see what it does over time. At any rate, don't try to skimp on the protein because your body will take it from muscle, which includes vital organs, if you deplete too many calories. Some people exercise with success but, I have personally found that I'm only good with light exercise.

ams94
02-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Every time I exercise hard my weight loss slows down. Although, I swim which makes me very hungry so I eat extra and it still slows down the weight loss. I haven't tried keeping it up to see what it does over time. At any rate, don't try to skimp on the protein because your body will take it from muscle, which includes vital organs, if you deplete too many calories. Some people exercise with success but, I have personally found that I'm only good with light exercise.

Thanks- I am going to stick to walks until i get closer to goal :)

xfitforlife
06-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks for posting this. Is anyone following this protocol version?

mompattie
06-06-2012, 10:50 PM
What type of training would be considered athlete to go on this protocol? Intensity or type or what? I have been biking quite a bit. And I bike hard and fast, usually every other morning for about 12-20 Km's each time. Sometimes in wind and I am working hard! I have been having an extra packet, but the scale didnt move for 10 days so I added another bar and viola! The scale is moving a lot!! Should I go to 4 regular packets a day and only one restricted or keep on with what I'm doing? Ketostix registering trace. Thanks!!

MaMaZu
07-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Bump

lat1nacurv3s
01-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Bumping this post back up because I'm having a really hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that I shouldn't be exercising. Before starting IP my goals for this year were to begin running 5Ks and end the year in December with a half marathon. I registered for my first 5K in February.

I even had already signed up for hot yoga, attending twice per week. But that's also stopped because of IP. Which I'm okay with for a little while. My coach said after two weeks we can talk about me starting up yoga again.

But I can't possibly afford (financially) to do 4-5 packets per day. Thinking of showing this to my coach. Hopefully, she'll have a suggestion for me. Maybe add additional protein or something in order for me to still workout.

I don't want to end up flabby. I have about 70lbs to lose.

Thanks for any feedback!

scorbett1103
01-26-2013, 10:40 PM
Bumping this post back up because I'm having a really hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that I shouldn't be exercising. Before starting IP my goals for this year were to begin running 5Ks and end the year in December with a half marathon. I registered for my first 5K in February.

I even had already signed up for hot yoga, attending twice per week. But that's also stopped because of IP. Which I'm okay with for a little while. My coach said after two weeks we can talk about me starting up yoga again.

But I can't possibly afford (financially) to do 4-5 packets per day. Thinking of showing this to my coach. Hopefully, she'll have a suggestion for me. Maybe add additional protein or something in order for me to still workout.

I don't want to end up flabby. I have about 70lbs to lose.

Thanks for any feedback!

It's tough because the reality is you can't have it both ways - either you get the super fast weight loss that comes from following protocol, or you get the slow but steady losses and muscle toning that go with training/intense exercise. Notice that even on the athlete's protocol it is advised to reduce the intensity of exercise, 45 minutes per day and never getting out of breath. The weight loss happens because IP puts you in a pretty sizeable calorie deficit - too low (even with the addition of extra packets) to support intense exercise and muscle recovery. Realistically you shouldn't be burning many more calories than your extra packet will replace.

For me, getting the weight off was the priority - I am almost at goal now and do 200-calorie burning exercises (either a short jog/walk or a Vinyasa yoga routine) but no more than that - and I've still seen my losses slow down. I have absolute confidence that once I phase off, having that weight off my body will make getting back in shape a much faster process, and the flabby parts will tone up quick.

bubbleblower
01-27-2013, 07:31 AM
It's tough because the reality is you can't have it both ways - either you get the super fast weight loss that comes from following protocol, or you get the slow but steady losses and muscle toning that go with training/intense exercise. Notice that even on the athlete's protocol it is advised to reduce the intensity of exercise, 45 minutes per day and never getting out of breath. The weight loss happens because IP puts you in a pretty sizeable calorie deficit - too low (even with the addition of extra packets) to support intense exercise and muscle recovery. Realistically you shouldn't be burning many more calories than your extra packet will replace.

For me, getting the weight off was the priority - I am almost at goal now and do 200-calorie burning exercises (either a short jog/walk or a Vinyasa yoga routine) but no more than that - and I've still seen my losses slow down. I have absolute confidence that once I phase off, having that weight off my body will make getting back in shape a much faster process, and the flabby parts will tone up quick.

Hi Scorbett ... Question for you: Does the weight loss slow down when you're exercising just because you're adding muscle while you're losing the fat? After all, muscle does weigh more, so that would seem to make sense.

I'm also one of those who used to exercise 3-5 times per week but have ceased everything except for situps and using hand weights once in awhile while I'm feeling like a slouch. ;) When I'm diving, I add a pouch in between my dives and that seems to work fine.

I'm looking forward to getting back into my normal routine if these last pounds would just magically melt away!!! :lol:

scorbett1103
01-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Hi Scorbett ... Question for you: Does the weight loss slow down when you're exercising just because you're adding muscle while you're losing the fat? After all, muscle does weigh more, so that would seem to make sense.

I'm also one of those who used to exercise 3-5 times per week but have ceased everything except for situps and using hand weights once in awhile while I'm feeling like a slouch. ;) When I'm diving, I add a pouch in between my dives and that seems to work fine.

I'm looking forward to getting back into my normal routine if these last pounds would just magically melt away!!! :lol:

I suspect it's a combination of muscle building AND some calorie deprivation. At the end of the day we are really just guessing on how many calories we need to replace so it's entirely likely that we undershoot sometimes. Also muscles will retain water when repairing. I am definitely looking forward to maintenance when I can have some of those swoon-inducing, 700 calorie torcher workouts!

JohnP
01-27-2013, 02:16 PM

This is a good question and the answer can depend on the context of the specific dieter so the simplest answer is ... it depends. Generally speaking - exercise retains muscle which slows weight loss. Intense exercise in a steep caloric deficit can cause the body to slow the one metabolism faster via decreased NEAT and SPA. (That is the output side of the energy equation) At leaner levels cortisol can start to play a role and cause additional issues but that isn't going to be something the average IP dieter needs to worry about.

Want to understand this more? Read on.

First of all - it takes a surplus of energy to build muscle. So if you want to build muscle you also have to accept the fact that you're going to add fat as well. Unless you're an overweight novice. Meaning - if you haven't exercised much or any before your body will partition energy such that it is possible to gain some muscle in an energy deficit for a period of time. How long and how much depends but for the most part this is not going to represent a large figure and with the IP diet calories are quite restricted so it would take a statistical outlier to really add any significant amount of muscle. Simple answer - it's not muscle growth on the IP diet.

Having said all of that - exercise tends to retain muscles we have. If you're not using your muscles, and you're in an energy deficit, your body will catabolize muscle for energy over time. Obese people tend to have large muscles. They have to because moving around 300lbs takes more muscle than moving around 150lbs. Losing this muscle by not using it accelerates weight loss. (Not fat loss - total weight)

Too much exercise will cause you to be more lethargic that you normally might be as the body attempts to recover. An energy deficit impairs recovery. So while you might burn 350 calories due to the exercise you might use 350 less calories because you're moving around less.

Personally, I would suggest low volume weight lifting as a means to retain muscle when someone is 100lbs or less overweight and walking at a fast enough rate to increase heart rate for 30 minutes 3x a week if they are following the IP diet or any other PSMF and depending on the size and gender of the person more protein may or may not be needed but that is just my opinion.

bubbleblower
01-27-2013, 04:27 PM
I suspect it's a combination of muscle building AND some calorie deprivation. At the end of the day we are really just guessing on how many calories we need to replace so it's entirely likely that we undershoot sometimes. Also muscles will retain water when repairing. I am definitely looking forward to maintenance when I can have some of those swoon-inducing, 700 calorie torcher workouts!

Thanks for the response. And yeah, I'm definitely ready for a torcher workout. I think the lack of rigorous exercise is what's hurting my enthusiasm and motivation these days.

This is a good question and the answer can depend on the context of the specific dieter so the simplest answer is ... it depends. Generally speaking - exercise retains muscle which slows weight loss. Intense exercise in a steep caloric deficit can cause the body to slow the one metabolism faster via decreased NEAT and SPA. (That is the output side of the energy equation) At leaner levels cortisol can start to play a role and cause additional issues but that isn't going to be something the average IP dieter needs to worry about.

Want to understand this more? Read on.

First of all - it takes a surplus of energy to build muscle. So if you want to build muscle you also have to accept the fact that you're going to add fat as well. Unless you're an overweight novice. Meaning - if you haven't exercised much or any before your body will partition energy such that it is possible to gain some muscle in an energy deficit for a period of time. How long and how much depends but for the most part this is not going to represent a large figure and with the IP diet calories are quite restricted so it would take a statistical outlier to really add any significant amount of muscle. Simple answer - it's not muscle growth on the IP diet.

Having said all of that - exercise tends to retain muscles we have. If you're not using your muscles, and you're in an energy deficit, your body will catabolize muscle for energy over time. Obese people tend to have large muscles. They have to because moving around 300lbs takes more muscle than moving around 150lbs. Losing this muscle by not using it accelerates weight loss. (Not fat loss - total weight)

Too much exercise will cause you to be more lethargic that you normally might be as the body attempts to recover. An energy deficit impairs recovery. So while you might burn 350 calories due to the exercise you might use 350 less calories because you're moving around less.

Personally, I would suggest low volume weight lifting as a means to retain muscle when someone is 100lbs or less overweight and walking at a fast enough rate to increase heart rate for 30 minutes 3x a week if they are following the IP diet or any other PSMF and depending on the size and gender of the person more protein may or may not be needed but that is just my opinion.

Thanks, John. That helps a lot. I don't want to do anything to truly harm my progress but kind of feel like I'm wasting away in the meantime with no exercise at all most of the time. Sounds like there may be a happy medium in there somewhere. :)

maezy1
01-27-2013, 05:16 PM
I miss that exercise high that I get. Cannot wait to get back to training for sprint triathlons again!

Shedit
01-27-2013, 06:16 PM
This paradigm is the hardest part of IP for those of us who regularly exercise. After 6 weeks IP I added back gym time. My coach asked me to increase the incline so that I can walk. Also up my weights so that 8 reps 3 times is the most I can do. I do very slow mo weight lifting, and also abs work and basic stretches. I feel fab!

lisa32989
01-27-2013, 10:31 PM
I miss that exercise high that I get. Cannot wait to get back to training for sprint triathlons again!
I get a high, too but I've never had a runners body. I like swimming and biking, tho! Running has ALWAYS hurt. No runners high for me.

This paradigm is the hardest part of IP for those of us who regularly exercise. After 6 weeks IP I added back gym time. My coach asked me to increase the incline so that I can walk. Also up my weights so that 8 reps 3 times is the most I can do. I do very slow mo weight lifting, and also abs work and basic stretches. I feel fab!
I want to get a slow burn trainer. First I have to get my SI joint back in motion so my low back doesn't hurt all the time.

I'm getting up early for yoga, a little strength training, and PT exercises before work. It starts out painful but I'm good by the time I'm done. :)
Today was an ice day & I got a massage. No exercise. My back just hurt too much. I figure I can slowly chip away at this SI joint problem, just like I'm slowing chipping away at the weight. It doesn't happen overnite, but in the end, I'll feel SO much better

mrskuby
03-13-2013, 12:15 PM
bump

saralee101
07-24-2013, 03:30 PM
I just learned how to use the TRX and it's the first time my hip hasn't hurt in ages, so I don't want to quit. I happened upon this thread to see what others do when exercising, which I am doing right now in addition to IP. I was wiped out last time I exercised even though I added one packet right after. I am going to try a different approach that I read about - extra calories a minimum of 2 hours before exercising and a packet 30 min. after - to see if that helps. Has anyone else read about this approach?

I would also like to share a good resource for supplementing packets - Revival soy protein. I honestly can't afford the $4/packet that the IP program costs, so I use 1-2 Revival packet each day to make it more manageable - it's about $2/packet. Over a month I save about $80 - not much, but for those debating the athletic protocol it might help. It's non-GMO but also doctor formulated like IP - FWIW

Sara
267/238/200