30-Somethings - Anybody here stuggling with Bulimia?

Jen Harris
07-22-2011, 04:28 AM
I was hoping to find a group of people who either currently or have in the past struggled with Bulimia. I have gotten to a point in my life where it is not a daily problem and in fact is rarely a problem, but in my darkest hours, when being over weight hurts the most, I get tempted to revert to my old ways. I know the toll it has taken on my body in the past but tell myself that if I could just get to a healthy weight, I will stop purging then. I joined this group to find support in healthy weight loss so that I could overcome this urge to "take matters into my own hands," as my therapist once described it. I'm desperate to lose weight, for me, my kids, my husband..all the right reasons!!!

Jen Harris

jitterfish
07-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Jen, no bulimia sufferer here, but I want to offer words of support. You can do it without resorting to such a self harm way. There are so many people here that have acheived amazing weight loss feats. There is a ton of support, we'll be here for you too.

ItsMyTurn
07-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Jenn - I am so sorry to hear of the fight you have to try and fight the demon of bulimia. You CAN lose the weight without using purging though, believe me. I struggled with that in my teen/early 20's years, so understand the pull. Since those days, I have realized that I HAVE to do it the proper/healthy way and here is why: The weight is more than embarrassing, it's unhealthy... yet I only compound the problem with purging. Esophogus damage, deterioration, and stomach acid build up all are an unhealthy side effect to that "behavior" (as I got told it was)... so to curb one unhealthy problem, I was MAKING myself unhealthy... can you counter-productive? This is when I finally learned one of the true meanings behind the old saying "two wrongs don't make a right". I now have IBS which has reaked havoc on my system, stomach ulcers (which have finally gone dormant), etc which I have been told are a result of my "behavior" previously. You are not alone in this and it is tough to beat that urge to do it, but it is VERY possible. From a "been there" perspective, I will tell you that setting and reaching your first mini-goal is a great way to prove to yourself that you don't have to do that anymore. It is proof to yourself, that you CAN do this..and do it right! I also have to tell ya that I think you are amazing for being willing to step forward and reveal that about you... not easy to do at all... to this day, my husband doesn't know it was a hidden skeleton. Kudos to you for your first step!

seabiscuit
08-02-2011, 03:20 AM
I'm not a bulimic, but on very rare occasion I have purged maybe three or four times in my life. There is support in Overeaters Anonymous for bulimics and also at a great website sfwed.com (something fishy), they have bulimia and bulimia recovery forums.

Good luck in your recovery.