Ideal Protein Diet - Ate some peanuts today

View Full Version : Ate some peanuts today

hyoder
07-21-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm on the IP diet and I forgot to pack my snacks today so I had a handle of peanuts. Will that mess up the ketosis levels?

murleya1
07-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Don't make a habbit of this. But I think there are many other things you could have had that would have been far worse. Peanuts are probably one of the best options you could have selected.

JoseyM
07-22-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm on the IP diet and I forgot to pack my snacks today so I had a handle of peanuts. Will that mess up the ketosis levels?
Hey I feel you....I am on day 7 and have had about 20 peanuts over the last 7 days....what is it about peanuts and peanut butter, lots of posts include craving/eating them :)

I think you will be okay..... remember, plan, plan, plan, plan......

Purrfect
07-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Peanuts should not alter ketosis, no nuts really should unless they are honey coated!! It's the fat in them that keeps them off phase one of IP. It will slow your loss but it should not kick you out of ketosis at all.

Bellamack
07-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Peanuts should not alter ketosis, no nuts really should unless they are honey coated!! It's the fat in them that keeps them off phase one of IP. It will slow your loss but it should not kick you out of ketosis at all.

My husband's stash of peanuts kept staring at me today, but I didn't give in.
Like the other's have said, peanuts are protein and should not affect ketosis.

JoseyM
07-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Which is better if you do have a slip, to go over fat and stay in ketosis or introduce carbs?

jennydoodle
07-22-2011, 10:27 PM
My understanding is it is better to go over on fat. The last thing you want to do is keep going in and out of ketosis. It may not effect your weight loss, but it is very stressful on the body and pancreas to go in and out of ketosis. That is why they say "no cheating". Because realistically, if your calories are low enough, like they are on IP, you would still lose weight.

There are definitely times I go over on fat because of circumstances. When I eat out, I usually get a salad with protein and get dressing on the side. It has more fat than the dressing I would use at home, but for the occasional meal out, I do not worry about it. I use the dressing sparingly, but I am not going to go crazy over it.

JoseyM
07-22-2011, 10:57 PM
My understanding is it is better to go over on fat. The last thing you want to do is keep going in and out of ketosis. It may not effect your weight loss, but it is very stressful on the body and pancreas to go in and out of ketosis. That is why they say "no cheating". Because realistically, if your calories are low enough, like they are on IP, you would still lose weight.

There are definitely times I go over on fat because of circumstances. When I eat out, I usually get a salad with protein and get dressing on the side. It has more fat than the dressing I would use at home, but for the occasional meal out, I do not worry about it. I use the dressing sparingly, but I am not going to go crazy over it.
Thanks jenny, and your loss has been steady, so you are doing good....