Old 07-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174/164/140

Height: 5'5

Default 60 days CC and down 14lbs...what I've learned so far :)

Hello all!
I'm happy to say I've been CC for 60 days now! Went by fast actually Just thought I'd share some tips I've learned thus far, and maybe you all can benefit from them and share some of yours. My situation is a bit different because I'm deployed right now, so I have a cafeteria to eat at, and with my job I fly 10-16 hrs and am sometimes up 24 hrs! But, I'm finding ways to CC that fit for me. So here's what has worked...

- Plan ahead. My crew eats at the chow hall and eat the flight meals (sandwiches, pizza, egg rolls, cookies, etc). I buy meat and bread at our little store and make sandwiches to bring. I also buy soup to make on the airplane. If I plan ahead I stay within my calories.
- Extra dessert delight gum has been a life saver! Like I said the boys cook yummy smelling pizza and egg rolls and eat cookies during the flights. To beat the cravings I chew on the strawberry shortcake gum and it usually does the trick.
- If I'm craving food and it won't pass I eat it. Many times I have eaten substitutes for what I really want and end up eating what I wanted in the first place on top of the substitutes. I'll eat what I'm craving (try to throw most of it away) and count the calories. If I'm over my planned calories for the day I work out more the next day.
- There is no "blowing" a day. Yes, so days seem to be "eating days" where I seem to not be able to stop! Well, the next day I write down all that I ate and see where I'm at. I try to work out more to make up for the overage of calories, add the cals to the next day, or come to terms with the fact I may maintain this week because I ate over. No big deal, I don't let it ruin my week because every calorie counts!
- Working on my mind and thoughts helps with eating. I'm reading "A waist is a terrible thing to mind" and it is an awesome book. I also downloaded the Beck Diet and it is great for the mental part of weight loss.
- I don't buy "trigger" foods. If I have a lot of sweets I'll eat them, so I don't buy them or throw them away if I have them around. I don't need the sweets, so no big deal.
- Rewards help a lot. I am saving for a trip to Vegas so I will pay myself for running faster, going to the gym or following my plan. Any small thing I need motivation for I'll agree to pay myself and transfer the funds to my Vegas account.

Well, I think that's all I can remember for now. Hope these ideas help and I'm open to any other tips! Here's to another 14lbs before I come home!!
ovwgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #2  

Thank you for sharing, and congratulations on your success! I agree completely with your tips, especially the ones about not giving up when you "blow it" and not buying trigger foods.

I seem to have an obsession with asking people this, but could you provide some details ---e.g., how many calories you average per day, how old you are, how much you exercise, etc. If I'm being too nosy, ignore me, but I'm so impressed that you've lost 14 lbs. in two months. I'm nearing the two month mark, and although I do not weigh myself, I guarantee I haven't lost 14lbs. (probably 10 at most). I'm averaging 1400 calories per day. I'm 43 and 5 ft. 3, so maybe my weight loss is slower.

Last edited by lin43; 07-21-2011 at 06:22 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #3  

Hi lin43,
I am 31. I average 1300 cals a day for the week. On days I fly I might have 1400-1500, and days off I'll in turn have 1200-1300. I burn an average of 500 cals a day for the week, so if it takes 1800 to maintain my current 160lbs then a deficit of 500 cals from food and 500 cals from exercise equals a 2lb weight loss per week. This works for me now because I have a lot of time to work out. It's much harder at home, and I know I'll have to adjust it, but I wanted to lose 2lbs a week while I was deployed. Good luck with the rest of your weight loss (10lbs is great!!) and hope this helped!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #4  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

ovwgirl ~ Congrats on your weight loss!! The time does fly by quickly, doesn't it? I love all of your tips. I relate to a lot of them. Especially the Extra Dessert Gum (Orange Creme is my fave right now)! I can also really relate to "eat what you are craving". I believe if it is a true craving, that it is important to eat what you are craving that way you aren't driving yourself nuts and having an eventual freak out with food.

Keep up the great work!

Last edited by Emme; 07-22-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovwgirl View Post
Hi lin43,
I am 31. I average 1300 cals a day for the week. On days I fly I might have 1400-1500, and days off I'll in turn have 1200-1300. I burn an average of 500 cals a day for the week, so if it takes 1800 to maintain my current 160lbs then a deficit of 500 cals from food and 500 cals from exercise equals a 2lb weight loss per week. This works for me now because I have a lot of time to work out. It's much harder at home, and I know I'll have to adjust it, but I wanted to lose 2lbs a week while I was deployed. Good luck with the rest of your weight loss (10lbs is great!!) and hope this helped!

Thanks for the info.! You are doing awesome; keep up the good work!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #6  
Restricting my way down..

S/C/G: 213/ticker/160now150!

Height: 5'4"

Awesome! Keep going!
ScottieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #7  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

WOW!!! You are doing great. It lets me know that no matter the situation it is still possible to maintain your health and you learn somethings about yourself along the way. WHAT AN AWESOME THING!! Keep going and Come Home SAFELY!!
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #8  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

I decided today to switch from Weight Watchers at home to calorie counting-something I hadn't done since late high school. Thanks for your lessons learned.
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #9  

Congrats!!! Keep it up!!
LoveMyah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #10  

Thanks everyone!