Ideal Protein Diet - Day 3, couple of questions and need encouragement

Hislamb
07-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Okay, on day 3

couple of questions:

1. Can we have ANY brand of dill pickles?

2. Can I have lemon juice in my water? I like to make lemonade with lemon juice and stevia (I believe it actually curbs my appetite btw) but when I signed up they told me "no lemon juice"..:p
I am not really trusting everything they have told me. They are very new at this and my coach seems to have quite a bit of weight to still lose herself, so I am not convinced she knows it all. She said she had only been doing it a couple of months.

3. Last question- when I will have a turn around with the hunger and so wanting to eat? How many days should I expect? I really want to get to where some of you are and you say you don't want the treats and aren't hungry. Is there a way to speed this up or just wait it out?

I am eating the 5 packets a day (which is going to kill my budget, but hopefully will not be too much longer).

jennydoodle
07-20-2011, 06:05 PM
I think you can have any BRAND of pickles, but I am pretty sure that they have to be dill, not sweet.

I usually put a lemon wedge in my water when I am at home. Lemon is on my approved sheet, so I would think lemon juice is ok???

For me, it took 5-6 days before I started to be less hungry. Sorry that is probably not what you wanted to hear, but everyone is different.

wuv2bloved
07-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Mt. Olive brand has Sweet pickles made with Splenda. They have bread and butter pickles, sweet relish and the baby gerkins. I am like Jenny, I put lemon wedges in my water with my MIO sometimes without.

They hunger will pass after a week or so. It just takes time, try to focus on something besides your hunger or food. Read a book, go for a walk, distract yourself.

2RIDEROLLERCOAST
07-20-2011, 06:29 PM
hmmmm wuv2 I know the list says dill pickles but I am not sure about the rest... even with splenda... we may have to ask our coaches on that one.
Lemon is on my phase 1 list so you are good to go there.

Hunger, that is a tricky subject I think it is different for everyone... somedays I still get hungry so I have more lettuce. I would start cutting out the 5 packets over the next little while and try having more lettuce and maybe teas... that helps me a lot.

wuv2bloved
07-20-2011, 06:49 PM
hmmmm wuv2 I know the list says dill pickles but I am not sure about the rest... even with splenda... we may have to ask our coaches on that one.
Lemon is on my phase 1 list so you are good to go there.

Hunger, that is a tricky subject I think it is different for everyone... somedays I still get hungry so I have more lettuce. I would start cutting out the 5 packets over the next little while and try having more lettuce and maybe teas... that helps me a lot.

I'm sorry I thought I said my coach said they were allowed, but yes I would check with your coach first.

loriab
07-20-2011, 07:12 PM
I am also only on day 3 but a warm cup of green tea has been helping me in the afternoons. I hope that is ok to have.

stolaf
07-20-2011, 09:25 PM
I just posted on another thread and wish I saw this first>

I am on day 3 and really struggling today, too! My first 2 days were pretty easy and today I am just tried, weak and really hungry.

I saw that someone is drinking tea. If we drink tea do we have to drink the equivalent amount of water to flush it out just like with coffee?

Thanks for any responses that come in....

Watkat
07-20-2011, 10:16 PM
I do. If I have coffee or tea or both I always drink the equivalent in water.
By the end of the day I float!!

Watkat
07-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Eat pickles, grab a handful of lettuce. If it's really bad eat an egg white or two. That should help.

Pauley
07-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Ahh, I remember day 3 so well. It was brutal with the hunger pains. Mine went away around day 10. It's hard to believe it will happen, but it sure does. I think after that first week, it's not too difficult to get by on very little food. Just hang in there and drink more, like everyone else is saying. It will all be worth it at your first weigh in!

Thefireresides
07-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Pickles are to be dill pickles.
I was told no sweet pickles... But I can't see why not on the splenda ones... if they have the same carb and sugar content .....
Don't OD on the lemon juice... too much can do damage to your teeth!

My hunger went away around day 10.... now I have to remind myself to eat most days :)
Having HUGE salads really helps me on hungry days and drinking 100 oz of water

Hislamb
07-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Thank you everyone! I was able to only do 4 packets today and we will see what I can handle tomorrow.
For me the headaches seem to start mid afternoon. Where is a list of withdrawal symptoms?

Princess Jessica
07-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Thank you everyone! I was able to only do 4 packets today and we will see what I can handle tomorrow.
For me the headaches seem to start mid afternoon. Where is a list of withdrawal symptoms?

Drink some sea salt water for the headaches and then wait about 15 minutes. Works like a charm for me, and it's what most of the coaches recommend I believe.

rubyh
07-21-2011, 08:58 AM
I do. If I have coffee or tea or both I always drink the equivalent in water.
By the end of the day I float!!

If it has caffine in the coffee/tea, you need to drink the equivalent in water - according to my coach. SO if you have an herbal tea with no caffine, you would be o.k.

loriab
07-21-2011, 12:25 PM
I wonder if I may have been slipping up all week and not realizing it. In my normal life "lettuce" is mixed greens so when I went shopping last weekend to prepare that's what I bought. I think I just read somewhere that field greens was an approved vegetable. What exactly are field greens? Does organic mixed greens in the lettuce section count as my unlimited lettuce? I haven't eaten a ton but I realized this morning that I wasn't being so good with measuring things and want to not cheat myself so I'm looking to take a closer look at my meals and wanted to clarify this first.

TIA, Lori

2RIDEROLLERCOAST
07-21-2011, 02:25 PM
I wonder if I may have been slipping up all week and not realizing it. In my normal life "lettuce" is mixed greens so when I went shopping last weekend to prepare that's what I bought. I think I just read somewhere that field greens was an approved vegetable. What exactly are field greens? Does organic mixed greens in the lettuce section count as my unlimited lettuce? I haven't eaten a ton but I realized this morning that I wasn't being so good with measuring things and want to not cheat myself so I'm looking to take a closer look at my meals and wanted to clarify this first.

TIA, LoriI would read the labels, mixed greens could be all sorts of different lettuce, or it can have arugula, spinach, other ingredients... ONLY Lettuce is free to eat as much as you like. so be very careful. ;)

mamarix1
07-23-2011, 02:47 AM
I would read the labels, mixed greens could be all sorts of different lettuce, or it can have arugula, spinach, other ingredients... ONLY Lettuce is free to eat as much as you like. so be very careful. ;)

I have used mixed greens and spinach since day one having as much as I want. It hasn't slowed me down a bit, and it helps to get all the veggie in.

Watkat
07-23-2011, 12:22 PM

TIA, Lori

Field salad is an approved vegetable on the list.

"FIELD GREENS
Mesclun, also called Field Greens or Spring Mix, is a classic green salad mix originating in the South of France. It consists of a mixture of very young leaves and shoots of wild and cultivated plants, including endive, dandelion, arugula, lamb's lettuce, oak leaf, mache, radicchio, chervil, sorrel, frissee, purslane, etc. Sometimes edible flowers are included. " this is from www.foodreference.com

tomsmom
09-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Field salad is an approved vegetable on the list.

"FIELD GREENS
Mesclun, also called Field Greens or Spring Mix, is a classic green salad mix originating in the South of France. It consists of a mixture of very young leaves and shoots of wild and cultivated plants, including endive, dandelion, arugula, lamb's lettuce, oak leaf, mache, radicchio, chervil, sorrel, frissee, purslane, etc. Sometimes edible flowers are included. " this is from www.foodreference.com

Thanks for the clarification on the Field Greens, Spring Mix. Sort of went into a mini panic over that one:?:

Losingtime
09-11-2011, 01:13 PM
I personally do not worry too much about my veggie intake, i look at it more as a minimum then a maximum amount of veggies. It has never affected my weight loss. My point being that I wouldn't worry that you are eating different kinds of lettuce.
The first few days were hard for me and I have good and bad days still in regards to hunger but lots of water as well as making sure to get all the veggies, salt and oil needed.
Lemon juice is allowed and any kind of dill pickles but always check labels for sugar. I had some dill pickles that had sugar listed so its good to double check, same with soy sauce some have sugar.

showgirlaz
09-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Dill pickles can be eaten but, they can not be of any brand. They must be made without sugar. You will always have carbs in pickles because of the cucumber itself but, the recipe would need to be without sugar.

Sugar free/splenda sweetened Sweet pickles are permitted if they are similar in values to a a dill pickle without sugar.

If you have lemon juice it is to be in small quantities. That is why many coaches will tell a client who uses it to make a "lemonade" - no lemon juice. Lemon juice is fairly high in carbs and you can easily use too much if you regularly use it to make lemonade. NOW, lemon flavored water with a small/slim wedge or two of lemon juice would be fine occasionally but, not all day.

If you have caffeinated tea or any coffee, after the first 8 ounces, it needs to be matched cup for cup with water. If you have herbal then you can have it without a matching water portion. ( Some couches even allow you to have any of your liquid above the 64 ounces of water as herb tea and still count it to your daily liquid values.)

Only lettuce is acceptable as a free food. Mixed greens that are only lettuce would be fine. Any other field greens or spinach type food is a vegetable and must stay within your two cup range.

The hunger will last until you are well into ketosis. It starts to abate on day 4 but, for some people it can take 10 or even 14 days to get to the point they don't feel it. The average is by day 7 you are pretty much ok.

idealamber
09-11-2011, 08:39 PM
I am on day 14 and am still getting hungry every now and again. For some reason though its tolerable... before IP I would never allow myself to go hungry. Now I'm realistic and know that i'm not going to do permanent damanage if I am hungry for a few minutes.

My coach says no lemon... not even one squeeze in my tea for lunch. I trust her and have not had any. Again, its a small price for the results i want.

krazytxan
09-11-2011, 10:23 PM
On my Phase 1 Sheet, lemon is listed as an allowed seasoning.

I am guessing that some say "no lemon" because this diet is an alkaline diet and lemon is an acid.

patns
09-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Re the advice to have extra water to match any caffeinated beverage; it is possible to have too much water. I have heard of people who have ended up in hospital when they really overdo the water. Probably best to limit caffeine.

Wickedthistle
10-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Carla,
Your journey is very inspiring to me. I started Tuesday at 244, I'm hoping I have the same success youve had. I was wondering what your IP menu is. I have a friend that has a oatmeal in the morn and the rest he drinks the mango drink. He lost it fast, and I've read others who have used the bars and chip puffs and lost avg. 2lbs a week. Just curious, I want it off ASAP,safely :)

Dee2
10-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Here I thought I was doing myself a favor by adding the lemons to my tea :( Does it matter how much you use? or is it definitely off-proctol?

mwright123
10-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Hi all,

It is fine to add lemon juice to your water or tea. Lemon is in fact alkaline forming. Because of its very low sugar content and high alkaline mineral content, lemons actually have an alkalising effect on the body. The best thing you can do is start your day with a glass of water with some fresh lemon juice!

It is not the relative acidity/alkalinity of the food but rather the effect it has on the body that is important. Seemingly acidic foods such as lemons, limes and tomato are acidic in their basic state, but once metabolized by the body have an alkalising effect. The high alkaline mineral content of these foods means that once consumed and metabolized they increase the alkalinity of the cells of the body.

And you would have to drink a ton of water to end up in the hospital!!

Y Guy
10-10-2011, 01:59 PM
I'll add a thought here. The weight of your coach shouldn't be an issue, IMHO. One thing I respect about all the coaches at my clinic is that they are or have been on IP as well. They are on a journey as well, its not just somebody that has just taken a class and read a book, they can relate to the struggles I'm going through as well. Some have been more involved in IP and may have a better frame of reference. The program has changed over time as well.

As for lemon, on my IP Phase 1 sheet it's listed as ok for a seasoning, so to me if I use a slice of lemon I'd be fine, but if I were using enough to make lemon-aid I'd not longer be using a seasoning. But some lemon in your water, in moderation, shouldn't be a problem for you. It never hurts to ask your coach why they are recommending you do something, especially if it goes against what is on the published phase sheet. Again, a coach might have heard/learned something different and feels it will help you in your weight loss goat. They are a coach, not God, they are human too.

hockeymom22
10-10-2011, 02:23 PM
I am just finished day 3! I found that good earth sweet and spicy tea has been my saving grace! It is sweet no sugars and keeps me from feeling hungry

FinnSteven
10-10-2011, 03:47 PM
RE: five packets. Remember that if you have over 100lbs to lose, that 5 packets might be what is best for you, even if expensive. It prevents your body from thinking it is starving, so it will continue to burn fat.

Some folks may say that the clinic is just trying to get more money out of you, but that's not always so. Sometimes cutting down on the packets isnt what is best for you or your body. (And often the extra packet is a Godsend if you are really hungry.)

If you want to save money and cut out a packet, I too recommend what others have said...scramble two egg whites with a little sea salt and ground pepper. It gets you a little extra protein without the calories and very few carbs. (my coach recommended it)

As for lemon, I would say yes, in moderation. If you are squeezing 1-2 whole lemons with over 1TB splenda, then I would say no. However, many have said that having some lemon juice in hot water (with or without 1 packet of sweetener) can often help your stomach.

For dill pickles, just check that there is no sugar (there shouldnt be).
I've heard the same as wuv re: sweet pickles... there are sugar-free brands (like with splenda) which should be ok. Check the sugar/ fat/ carbs against a jar of dill pickles if you are curious.

Lastly, click the link to my Facebook page below if you are struggling for recipes or looking for ideas. Lots of suggestion for variety while still using a limited number of packets and approved food.

Herding Cats
10-13-2011, 01:22 AM
Tea has also been my saving grace, that and the liquid peppermint stevia my clinic sells. I mix the tea with the shakes to double the portion (1 packet can make roughly 24-28oz of a beverage!) I usually take a chocolate pudding and mix with 12oz of water. Then I brew two 6 oz cups of peppermint or (gingerbread tea or chai to mix with vanilla pudding) and pour 6 oz of the shake into each cup. Heat and put in 2 drops of the peppermint stevia. Yummy and I'm soooo full afterward!