Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #1  
m3k
One LB at a time...

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/160

Height: 5' 6"

Default Hungry and unhappy.

I began being more strict with my diet today (cut additional calories). However, just like the last time I dieted, my body isn't dealing with it well. When I'm hungry, I start to get really mad about things, and don't notice it.

It doesn't happen all the time, but I did recognize it today.

Should I eat a bit more and focus more on working out? Is there something I should be eating specifically to keep me feeling fuller longer?

Any tips are appreciated...
m3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I think it's a normal response. Biologically, hunger encourages us to eat (duh) but of course, bountiful food wasn't meant to be a mere grocery store drive away.

Whether or not you should eat more depends on how much you are eating - are you hungry because you really aren't eating enough to stay healthy or are you just hungry because of a natural slight hunger when in a moderate calorie deficit? Unpleasant, but not unhealthy?

Sometimes it can take time to become at ease with hunger. Sometimes it is mental (as you said, you went 'more strict' today).

What are you eating now? Is it possible that different foods can help your satiety? Like more fats, more protein, for the same calories?

Last edited by sacha; 07-20-2011 at 02:25 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #3  

whole meal foods are good for feeling full longer, like brown rice for example. Also beans and pulses are sooo filling. also big soups. don't starve too much otherwise (if you;re anything like me) you'll end up bingeing, so don't cut calories to drastically.
Heleninedinburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 136/123/110

Height: 5'2

I really encourage you to eat smaller meals more frequently - those high in fiber and protein! Good luck!
Loli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I guess I'd like to know where you're coming. You said you cut additional calories, suggesting that you've cut your calories before? But it looks like you've just joined, and your current weight is the same as your start weight.

It would be very, very difficult to work out enough to lose weight without making any changes to your diet. That, said, how drastically did you cut your calories? You can use an online calculator (I use fitday, but there are others) to help figure out how much you should be eating. Being hungry and unhappy is no way to make a successful weight loss journey.

If you feel like you are eating the right amount, increasing your fiber and your protein can help you feel full longer.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #6  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

sacha said exactly what I was thinking.

I find the "cleaner" I eat, the better. Whole grains, lean proteins, veggies, veggies, veggies, and fruit.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Here's my super short science lesson on how to feel less hungry. It's a little over-generalized but it's mostly true.

-Out of the 3 macronutrients (carbohydrate, protein, and fat) the protein reduces your hunger the most.
-Fat makes it take longer to feel hungry again, because it slows down the food leaving your stomach (and having food in your stomach is one of the things that tells your body it's not hungry).
-Fiber also slows the emptying of your stomach.
-Carbohydrates other than fiber don't do much for preventing hunger, but they do give you energy. However, the faster the spike in energy, the harder you'll "crash" after and start wanting more food.
-Protein and fiber both reduce how quickly your body absorbs carbohydrates, so you get a nice slow release of energy.

So based on that: eat lots of protein and lots of fiber. Don't be afraid of fat, but don't go overboard because it has more calories than the other two. Limit the carbohydrates somewhat and spread them out throughout the day, always eating them along with foods high in protein/fiber. Don't eat sugar, soda, fruit juice, or other things that will spike your blood sugar super quickly.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #8  
Giantess

S/C/G: 286/283/175

Height: 6'1"

I'm absurdly hungry today, too. Not bored or bummed, just that honest growl in my tummy that says "feeeeeeeed me Seymour!"

Well, My name's not Seymour, but you get the idea.

Im eating a bit more, personally, I'm just writing down the calories to keep myself accountable for anything I feel the need to eat.
Mojojuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #9  
m3k
One LB at a time...

Thanks everyone for the replies. For reference, my goal is between 1200 and 1500 cals/day (usually closer to 1500...learned from that the hard way). I use the Sparkpeople Android App to track everything.

Zoodoo: Yes... I've tried to cut calories before. I've been attempting to manage them for weeks with little success. I found myself saying 'I'll start tomorrow' one too many times. Also, I tried dieting in December. I was eating 1200 or so calories a day, all in salads/veggies, lean meals, chicken, etc. Back in December, the cut in calories actually caused me to be exhausted at all times and I had the same response, that I was angry. Sorry I wasn't more specific, and I hope that clears things up.

I know if I can get through this first week (and find a happy medium) I should be okay.

Sacha: Today, thus far, I've had:
Coffee w/ skim milk and a bit of sweetener (the entire thing was about 170-190 cals)
Lunch: A few big wheat thins, salad w/ fat free dressing, chicken breast with buffalo sauce, and some Rice-A-Roni Nature's Way rice . Totaling about 570 cals.
I don't usually have control over what's for dinner (it often isn't the healthiest), so I usually leave a little room to spare for that. Then, If I'm hungry after dinner, I'll have another snack small snack.

I try to follow a portion rule of one standard sized plate, divided in half. Half is a pretty big salad or vegetables, and then the rest of the plate can be used for chicken, and another side dish.

Last edited by m3k; 07-20-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #10  

You definitely need to eat more for breakfast, even if you aren't hungry at the time. Eggs are good. If you are in a hurry, maybe a protein shake and an apple or an apple with all natural peanut butter. There are several options but I would definitely eat a better breakfast! And add in another healthy snack.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #11  
m3k
One LB at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli View Post
You definitely need to eat more for breakfast, even if you aren't hungry at the time. Eggs are good. If you are in a hurry, maybe a protein shake and an apple or an apple with all natural peanut butter. There are several options but I would definitely eat a better breakfast! And add in another healthy snack.
Alright. I will try to do more.

By the way... How accurate are the online calculators for determining the amount of calories you should have in a day?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Thanks for answerring. I think 1500 is totally reasonable for you. I've lost about 40lbs twice now (the first time was my intital weight loss, maintained 7 years, got pregnant, then lost 40lbs of baby weight), so I've been through this dance before in a reasonable manner. This is from my experience.

I think the problem is 2 parts:

First, that hunger is annoying and it is natural to not want to feel that way. No solution for that unfortunately except that it "gets better" over time.

Second, your food choices are not filling.
Your coffee with skim milk and sweetner - I have no idea how that is calculated at 170-190 calories. Was this a latte??? 1 full cup of skim milk is 110 calories, so did you have almost 2 cups of skim milk?

Lunch: Seems fine to me.

Dinner: Can't really comment. I guess you can't really say that you are sticking to 1500 if you aren't cooking and they aren't healthy choices. It COULD be a reasonable amount, it might not be.

Try a more filling breakfast and see if that helps... other than that, you are probably just annoyed by the natural hunger pains.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #13  
Life is about balance

S/C/G: 283/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

how are you doing with water? don't forget that. thirst can be mistaken for hunger.
good luck
mamakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #14  

Keep in mind that the online calculators are only an estimate based on your height and weight. And each one varies. Once you get more in-tune with your body, you will be able to find the magic number. It's basically trial and error. In the meantime, I would really focus on clean eating. Sure, you'll have some setbacks, but if you keep it up, you will do well. You will also feel so much better! Good luck! Keep in mind that you are doing great just by starting this battle!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #15  
m3k
One LB at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post

Second, your food choices are not filling.
Your coffee with skim milk and sweetner - I have no idea how that is calculated at 170-190 calories. Was this a latte??? 1 full cup of skim milk is 110 calories, so did you have almost 2 cups of skim milk?

Lunch: Seems fine to me.

Dinner: Can't really comment. I guess you can't really say that you are sticking to 1500 if you aren't cooking and they aren't healthy choices. It COULD be a reasonable amount, it might not be.

Try a more filling breakfast and see if that helps... other than that, you are probably just annoyed by the natural hunger pains.
We have our own espresso machine. It is basically a latte, with a cup of milk and then 2tbsp of syrup. It equates to somewhere around 190.

You are right. I should definitely be eating more breakfast. Also, I agree. 1500cals is probably more reasonable. I need to re-set this app.