Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-20-2011, 05:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250

Height: 5'3"

Default Brand new here

Well, I'm beginning again today. I've tried hundreds of times to lose weight. I've been successful once for about 2 years and then gained all the weight back plus more. I'm about 250, 5'3" tall and have diabetes. I don't know if I can make it. I am basically a shut in - I feel terrible from all the food I eat. I just can't stop. I LOVE food so much. I am in a good relationship and hide my addiction to food from my husband. I eat when he's at work. I''m eating about 5000-7500 calories a day. Junk, chips, COKE, pizza, McDonald's, chicken fried steak, lots of gravy AND I'm a good cook.

I am worried I won't succeed, yet again, but my life is just horrible now. I'm 52 and have been heavy for 20 years. Any words of advice or encouragement are most welcome!!!
Chana Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Welcome to 3FC =)

You can do this. You don't have to change everything at once. You can add in one healthy habit at a time, and then build up.

There's a Dieting with Obstacles section where you can chat with others who have diabetes. There's a Chicks in Control area. There's a 50+ section. Join in wherever you're comfortable.

Advice: Mistakes may happen, but we cannot let them keep us down longer. The second we catch ourselves doing something we don't want to do, we can stop it. We can return to a healthier normal immediately. No putting it off until later or the next day. No using one mistake to justify binging or eating more things we don't need.

And always always always always... keep going forward.

You can do this.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/180/144

Height: 5'6

Many of us have been there sweetie!!! You can do this! Think baby steps... one foot in front of the other. Tell your husband your concerns! I know its hard, but when I told my husband the truth about food addiction, things got easier..... even though he still doesn't fully get it. Plus, figure out the reasons you binge... once you figure that out, it will be easier to get a handle on it! You Can Do This!!!!
Shmoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/167/140

Height: 5'4"

Honey, I'm a good cook too. You can try new healthy recipes. It's really fun to try new recipes instead of the same ole fried, and fat laden stuff. It takes some getting used to, eating more veggies (and realizing mashed potatoes are not a veggie side) and eating smaller portions of the foods you love. I believe you're already doing great just bc you recognize that you have a problem.

I think you'd do great if you took baby steps. Just start adding veggies and fruit this wk. Try your best to get your 9 (1/2 Cup) servings a day. Next wk, keep the veg/fruit and add another healthy habit like a 10 min. walk. Keep each healthy habit that you adopt and just add a new one every wk. At your height, this weight will just start falling off if you dedicate yourself to living a healthy lifestyle.

My aunt has diabetes. She's overweight, shorter than you, and is now on disability bc she can barely walk. She hasn't changed anything about the way she eats, and probably never will. I hope your diabetes isn't that extreme, but you can manage it. You can do this
sniperhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Love yourself more than you love food. It's awesome that you are a good cook. I like to cook too. Now put those skills to good use and look up a few new healthy recipes to try this week. Good cooks can make the simplest ingredients taste delicious.
Sometimes when I eat a piece of ripe, delicious fruit, I think to myself, "My gosh this is so good! Why in the world do I ever eat Pringles that taste like salted wood?" Of course, sometimes the Pringles still call my name. Sigh. It isn't easy, but it is worth it. YOU are worth it.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #6  
300+ Chick

Good luck with your efforts! Its an on going ,life change and just take it day by day..YOU can do it!! and NEVER GIVE UP!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 184/184/127

I worry about becoming diabetic. I do eat a lot of "good" for you foods, but I also drink a LOT of Coke and eat many poor quality carbs as well.

I'm a good cook too and I'm trying to use this new journey of mine to try new things and to find ways to make better for me (and my family) versions of things we love.

Best of luck to you! And from what I've read on this forum in the last 24 hours there is so much wonderful support for everyone, I plan to check in often and I hope you do too!
MidlifeCrisisGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #8  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Default Been there done that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chana Ariel View Post
Well, I'm beginning again today. I've tried hundreds of times to lose weight. I've been successful once for about 2 years and then gained all the weight back plus more. I'm about 250, 5'3" tall and have diabetes. I don't know if I can make it. I am basically a shut in - I feel terrible from all the food I eat. I just can't stop. I LOVE food so much. I am in a good relationship and hide my addiction to food from my husband. I eat when he's at work. I''m eating about 5000-7500 calories a day. Junk, chips, COKE, pizza, McDonald's, chicken fried steak, lots of gravy AND I'm a good cook.

I am worried I won't succeed, yet again, but my life is just horrible now. I'm 52 and have been heavy for 20 years. Any words of advice or encouragement are most welcome!!!
First of all It really took a lot of courage to be honest and post what you did, it is no always easy to make ourselves that open to other people especially as something so personal as weight issures. This forum is awesome, it has such wonderful people on it and you don't feel like an outsider because we are all more or less in the same boat. I say jump around and go on several threads that deal with your issues. I am on the IE thread and the diabetes thread and a few others. YOu can private message people when you want more one on one sharing. This sight is really such a blessing. Hang in there! Have a blessed day.
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote