Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 144/130/115

Height: 5'4"

Default New York Times article on factors that contribute to and prevent weight gain

I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere on the boards. I thought people would find this new study about weight interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html
JenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Thanks, I eat yogurt every day and that made me happy.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I was going to post this - I found the article via a fitness blog I love (The Great Fitness Experiment).

The part that stuck with me was this:
“This study shows that conventional wisdom — to eat everything in moderation, eat fewer calories and avoid fatty foods — isn’t the best approach,” Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, a cardiologist and epidemiologist at the Harvard School of Public Health and lead author of the study, said in an interview. “What you eat makes quite a difference. Just counting calories won’t matter much unless you look at the kinds of calories you’re eating.”

Hmm, so now Harvard researchers are saying a calorie ISN'T just a calorie? not just calories in and calories out, you say?

I really, REALLY wish the researcher hadn't used the terminology of "good/bad calories" though. I know some people think it's just shorthand and semantics, but I think there's a moral judgment there that's just wrong and causes a lot of people to have trouble with food. Even "more/less nutritious" would be better!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

Very interesting article. I've always hated the "calories in/calories out" saying. The type of food makes a difference and as one of the comments pointed out - it is easy to count calories when all your food comes from a box, not so easy when using real ingredients, without labels.
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote