Ideal Protein Diet - What do you wish you knew when you started?

luckygirl3
07-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi! I'm new to this diet and been looking over this forum for awhile before I started to make sure it was right for me. I was wondering for those who have been doing this diet what do you wish you knew when you first started? Maybe it's info your coach didn't tell you or you didn't realize the importance of it. I'm starting today with alternatives and am very excited. I would like to learn from you guys. If there is a thread out there please point me in the right direction. There seems to be lots of really loooong threads here. Thanks!

Bellamack
07-19-2011, 10:49 AM
I wish I knew there were alternatives, as the program is really expensive. I don't have the nerve to quit and use alternatives, 'cause I am a chicken and I really love my coach. I am only on week 3 and already feel the money pinch, I guess I should have asked about cost more upfront, who'd a thought one packet would cost $4???
As for the program (diet) itself, I love it and it is working when CC and WW just didn't work.

Thefireresides
07-19-2011, 11:01 AM
That changing up lunch and supper isn't a big deal...
That drinking your water is a minimum.... that 100 oz is a better bet :)
That you will have ups and downs, and charting your weight loss, in relation to your monthly cycle and sleep patterns will help you be prepared for those weigh in days when things aren't moving. That what you average is as important as those "big weeks", and you probably won't see big weeks every week.

Be prepared.... Buy an extra shaker and stash a couple of packets, bars, snacks with you in your purse, car, work, etc.... Keep a small pill box with an extra set of vitamins. I ordered a few WF single packet dressings for emergency use at restuarants who don't offer great dressing choices.

It is totally possible to eat out... but plan ahead. Most places offer menu's online. Be difficult :) if it means you stay on program. Get them to take everything off your salad that isn't on the plan.

Plan plan plan your meals. I portion out everything at the beginning of the week and again mid week, so I am never unprepared.

Invest in a scale and 2 cup tupperware containers.

Look up recipes, find variety so you don't get bored. There are a ton of recipes on here to keep you motivated.

This diet DOES WORK.... but it is a non cheat diet. The more you stray and the more you cheat and not be OP the longer it will take for the weight to come off.

I also have found that taking Melatonin and the Omega's have really helped by personal weight loss quest.

wuv2bloved
07-19-2011, 11:21 AM
I wish I knew there were alternatives, as the program is really expensive. I don't have the nerve to quit and use alternatives, 'cause I am a chicken and I really love my coach. I am only on week 3 and already feel the money pinch, I guess I should have asked about cost more upfront, who'd a thought one packet would cost $4???
As for the program (diet) itself, I love it and it is working when CC and WW just didn't work.

Yes, it is expensive but we are worth every cent of it. Think of it like this, If you were to go out to eat you couldn't get a meal for $4 could you?

brummie
07-19-2011, 11:34 AM
I only wish i had started this years ago! LOL!
Not just for the weight loss, but it has done wonders with pain management too. This time last year, I was popping painkillers like tic-tacs to overcome the burning pain in my left hip and knee. After about a month on the program, I stopped taking painkillers all together. (Funny thing is, when I've been sitting down for a while and I go to get up, I still kind of grimace at the anticipation of the pain of getting up...but it never comes...I wish I had ended the pain sooner by starting the program earlier!!)

I think there is an alternative thread in the stickies, with some very helpful information (some of the posters started on IP and then moved over to alternatives). There are many on here that have had fantastic results on alternatives, keep your eye on the prize and you will do great!

Bickel83
07-19-2011, 01:17 PM
I wish I had known that you can't have aspertame. It is in a lot of foods and drinks that are 0 cal 0 fat 0 carbs, so be warned you cannot drink diet soda (execpt I found diet right made with splenda instead), sugar free jello, or diet peak ice tea (all favorites of mine that I pigged out on that first week) I would be much further along if I had read the boards better or if my caoch had told me that.

Lone Loser
07-19-2011, 09:42 PM
I wish I had known that I might get sick -- yep, I was one of those who went through two very, very bad days. Fortunately, I came out on the other side feeling great! So -- I wish I had known to start cutting back on coffee, sugar and processed foods for about two weeks before I started -- it was pretty rough for me. But for my husband, the former cookie monster, he had nooooo problems with being sick. Go figure. . .

Also, read these threads -- they are life savers as far as what you are going through -- there is great support out here. Be creative with your food -- see what others have done. There are some great posts right here in this thread!

One last thing -- I found out that I lost more weight in four weeks on IP than I did for six whole months on another weight loss program.

Good luck with whatever you decide! =)

Bellamack
07-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Yes, it is expensive but we are worth every cent of it. Think of it like this, If you were to go out to eat you couldn't get a meal for $4 could you?

True wuv2bloved, but I don't eat out every meal of the week. lol. Actually don't eat out but 1 or 2x/month because of expense. I am not complaining, but you have to admit an extra $400/month is alot, at least for my family. I think many people are doing just as well on alternatives for 1/3 the cost. So, people that truly can't afford the extra $$ each month still can follow the IP protocol by reading the book or just coming to 3 fat chicks. :)

Riemontana
07-19-2011, 10:42 PM
This isn't specific to IP but I wish that I had taken my measurements when I started. I measure every month and keep track. It has sustained me as a measurement of progress when the scale has stalled a little.

Purrfect
07-19-2011, 10:44 PM
True wuv2bloved, but I don't eat out every meal of the week. lol. Actually don't eat out but 1 or 2x/month because of expense. I am not complaining, but you have to admit an extra $400/month is alot, at least for my family. I think many people are doing just as well on alternatives for 1/3 the cost. So, people that truly can't afford the extra $$ each month still can follow the IP protocol by reading the book or just coming to 3 fat chicks. :)

I am using alternative products, and if you read the labels closely, you can substitute things carefully. The cost does matter especially if, like me, you need 4 or sometimes 5 packets a day to get through.
Just keep the carb count under 30 grams, and make sure none of the no no's (like aspartame) are included in the ingredients.

I still buy the IP packets, I have found some favorites and consider that the protein blend may be important in how it is assimilated in the body. I just buy fewer.

Also remember you aren't on phase one for ever. It's a short term investment for a long term benefit!:hug:

jennylauren19
08-03-2011, 01:14 PM
I've been OP for 3 weeks and I wish that I:

1) read the IP protocol more carefully! For the first two weeks I was consuming 2 TABLESPOONS of oil each day instead of 2 teaspoons. It doesn't sound like a huge difference but I was adding a ton of unnecessary fat.

2) tried some of the recipes found on this forum to prevent boredom in the beginning.

3) purchased only 1 of each packet. I purchased several packets of things I thought I would like, only to discover they were disgusting. Then I had to eat them because I didn't want to waste money.

wheekers
08-03-2011, 01:23 PM
I wish I had known that you can't have aspertame. It is in a lot of foods and drinks that are 0 cal 0 fat 0 carbs, so be warned you cannot drink diet soda (execpt I found diet right made with splenda instead), sugar free jello, or diet peak ice tea (all favorites of mine that I pigged out on that first week) I would be much further along if I had read the boards better or if my caoch had told me that.

My clinic says aspartame is fine???

wheekers
08-03-2011, 01:26 PM
I too wish I had know about alternatives sooner. It got to the point where I was buying IP products instead of paying my bills. Now I pay $10 for a box instead of $28

coliep
08-03-2011, 01:34 PM
I wish I had known that the "coaches" aren't that knowledgeable and that I wouldn't be receiving the type of medical attention I thought would come with my $250 fee. I thought I would have bloodwork (cholesterol et al), blood pressure checks etc. and that it would be monitored throughout -- I was looking forward to seeing some positive changes in my overall health but now it is just a mystery. And my coaches don't know anything that isn't on the one-page handout and don't even seem to know what affects ketosis . . . not exactly the expertise I thought I was getting! It doesn't affect me (as I have 3FC) but I was a little disappointed!

coliep
08-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Would love to know which alternatives you are finding @ that price? I planned financially to be on IP for 4-6 weeks. I am about to start week 5 but am not that close to goal so if I could shift products than I think I could continue on!

wheekers
08-03-2011, 01:42 PM
I wish I had known that the "coaches" aren't that knowledgeable and that I wouldn't be receiving the type of medical attention I thought would come with my $250 fee. I thought I would have bloodwork (cholesterol et al), blood pressure checks etc. and that it would be monitored throughout -- I was looking forward to seeing some positive changes in my overall health but now it is just a mystery. And my coaches don't know anything that isn't on the one-page handout and don't even seem to know what affects ketosis . . . not exactly the expertise I thought I was getting! It doesn't affect me (as I have 3FC) but I was a little disappointed!

agreed

wheekers
08-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Would love to know which alternatives you are finding @ that price? I planned financially to be on IP for 4-6 weeks. I am about to start week 5 but am not that close to goal so if I could shift products than I think I could continue on!

I use proti-diet and balanced protein diet foods. They also have some other brands of snack type items.

Sorry I didnt realize we couldn't post the link to it :(

coliep
08-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Thanks, I will check them out!

puneri
08-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Hey ip people,

I am doing 17 day diet. It costed me around $20 or less for thec book. I make my own meals. I cook chicken with lots of vegetables, onion, garlic, herbs from garden and some condiments. Sometimes, i fry salman or tilapia or make srabled egg with capsicum etc.
I have to pay for green tea $2 for 20 packets. I have to drink green tea 3 times a day.
So far in 47 days i lost 8-9 lbs.
I think those ppl who cannot afford costly diet, should try 17 day diet.

wheekers
08-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Hey ip people,

I am doing 17 day diet. It costed me around $20 or less for thec book. I make my own meals. I cook chicken with lots of vegetables, onion, garlic, herbs from garden and some condiments. Sometimes, i fry salman or tilapia or make srabled egg with capsicum etc.
I have to pay for green tea $2 for 20 packets. I have to drink green tea 3 times a day.

I lost 8 lbs in 1 week on IP!!!

pselias
08-03-2011, 02:54 PM
EAS makes carb control shakes that you can buy at Wal-Mart. A 4pack was just $4.97. The vanilla one was comparable to the IP vanilla RTD (more protein and maybe 1 less carb). Didn't check the other flavors. My husband is using alternative products during the day (he's still having a hard time not eating carbs with dinner).

I wish I had known more about the later phases and stabilization/maintenance. READ THE BOOK! There is a pdf version on the daily chat. I thought I would have to kiss carbs goodbye forever, but you are actually encouraged to eat complex carbs every night for dinner!!!!!!!! That is so backward from everything I've ever been taught, but the book's explanation totally made sense. I have renewed motivation, and can't wait to lose the weight! Maintenance doesn't seem as scary now. (sorry about all the exclamation points. I'm just enthusiastic!)

cadenlevi
08-03-2011, 03:18 PM

I use Nashua Nutrition and buy ProtiDiet and HealthSmart products. You have to be careful and read the ingredient list as several things have aspertame instead of sucrolose. But they are 11 a box and free shipping for orders over $99. I got my whole months woth of food for $135 vs $335 for IP food. Everything I have had has been fantastic (and the chocolate drink that everyone loves on IP is only 3g of carbs from HealthSmart which is a huge carb savings :)). Good luck!!!

patns
08-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Hey ip people,

I did the 17 day diet and lost nothing. It was actually the way I was eating anyway.
As a matter of fact I am clearing my bookshelf of all the "latest diet" books I spent at least $20 each for and taking them to the Salvation Army thrift store. That will give me a lot of shelf space.

patns
08-03-2011, 03:28 PM
EAS makes carb control shakes that you can buy at Wal-Mart. A 4pack was just $4.97. The vanilla one was comparable to the IP vanilla RTD (more protein and maybe 1 less carb). Didn't check the other flavors. My husband is using alternative products during the day (he's still having a hard time not eating carbs with dinner).

I wish I had known more about the later phases and stabilization/maintenance. READ THE BOOK! There is a pdf version on the daily chat. I thought I would have to kiss carbs goodbye forever, but you are actually encouraged to eat complex carbs every night for dinner!!!!!!!! That is so backward from everything I've ever been taught, but the book's explanation totally made sense. I have renewed motivation, and can't wait to lose the weight! Maintenance doesn't seem as scary now. (sorry about all the exclamation points. I'm just enthusiastic!)

Excellent advice, especially about reading the book, very interesting information in it for sure.

Emmy8
08-03-2011, 03:43 PM
I wish I would have known about this site from day 1 of starting the IP diet! It's simply amazing and so helpful! My Coach has been helpful too but when its midnight and you've got questions, I doubt your Coach would appreciate that wake up call. :/

It would have been helpful to know that 2 lbs. a week is a more reasonable weight loss, if you have 20 lbs. or less to lose. Also that if you're not moving on the scale much you could still be losing in inches, all of which seems like you should know but when your S-I-L is doing 4 lbs. a week, you feel like you should be too.

After 3 weeks on the IP diet I'm still learning something new that makes this marathon (not a sprint) worth all the effort.

Krista7382
08-03-2011, 10:32 PM
I use Nashua Nutrition and buy ProtiDiet and HealthSmart products. You have to be careful and read the ingredient list as several things have aspertame instead of sucrolose. But they are 11 a box and free shipping for orders over $99. I got my whole months woth of food for $135 vs $335 for IP food. Everything I have had has been fantastic (and the chocolate drink that everyone loves on IP is only 3g of carbs from HealthSmart which is a huge carb savings :)). Good luck!!!

Did you use alternatives from the beginning?

Porthardygurl
08-08-2011, 05:39 PM
I wish i would have known how bad cheating once you were in ketosis was..cause if i had known.. i wouldnt have cheated.

wuv2bloved
08-08-2011, 06:10 PM
I wish i would have known how bad cheating once you were in ketosis was..cause if i had known.. i wouldnt have cheated.

Now that you KNOW how bad it is.....DON'T cheat any more!

cadenlevi
08-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Did you use alternatives from the beginning?

No I just started last week. I lost 1.5 but it was TOM for me. I like the taste of the alternative products better - only problem is you have to read the labels very carefully because some of the products have aspartame in them. :)

SVermonter
08-08-2011, 06:56 PM
I wish I had know about week 4 & 5 can be stalled weeks for some people. And that not everyone will get a huge first week weight loss.

Anitanewdiet
08-08-2011, 07:01 PM
I only wish i had started this years ago! LOL!
Not just for the weight loss, but it has done wonders with pain management too. This time last year, I was popping painkillers like tic-tacs to overcome the burning pain in my left hip and knee. After about a month on the program, I stopped taking painkillers all together. (Funny thing is, when I've been sitting down for a while and I go to get up, I still kind of grimace at the anticipation of the pain of getting up...but it never comes...I wish I had ended the pain sooner by starting the program earlier!!)

I think there is an alternative thread in the stickies, with some very helpful information (some of the posters started on IP and then moved over to alternatives). There are many on here that have had fantastic results on alternatives, keep your eye on the prize and you will do great!

I had read the forum a month before finding a coach and a friend to start my journey with. Only to be one of the few that was not allowed to go on IP. Discouraging as it was at the beginning, made me work out my eating problems and work with alternative products.
MADE ME LOVE VEGGIES AGAIN :)
I also had bad back pain like BREMMIE and tada it's almost gone. after 17.5 lbs maybe I was hurting myself more than my back was hurting me by having that dessert after dinner. MY moto WAS Life is uncertain Eat dessert first.

Anitanewdiet
08-08-2011, 07:05 PM
I wish I had know about week 4 & 5 can be stalled weeks for some people. And that not everyone will get a huge first week weight loss.

YES I did not have a huge 1st week like I was hoping, but being on alternative products I hadn't heard about any of the losses except IP losses.

patns
08-08-2011, 10:21 PM
I had read the forum a month before finding a coach and a friend to start my journey with. Only to be one of the few that was not allowed to go on IP. Discouraging as it was at the beginning, made me work out my eating problems and work with alternative products.
MADE ME LOVE VEGGIES AGAIN :)
I also had bad back pain like BREMMIE and tada it's almost gone. after 17.5 lbs maybe I was hurting myself more than my back was hurting me by having that dessert after dinner. MY moto WAS Life is uncertain Eat dessert first.

Good for you working it out on your own.But why are some people not "allowed" to go on IP?
Do you have to order your alteranive products by mail?

Anitanewdiet
08-10-2011, 03:19 PM
I use the Atkins Protein drinks. Or Dr Bersteins vanilla RTD Shakes @ 90 cals both @ 15 gr of protein I do my veggies at lunch and veggies and protein at dinner, but I do have a friend that gets me IP butterscotch pudding and oatmeal. which I use for cookies. I use sunny mills pancake and muffin mixs for the weekend breakfasts. But remember I cant go into ketosis but get farely close with the carb counts I'm sure.

Perpetualdiet
08-11-2011, 10:23 PM
For nashua nutrition - when they say total carbs - does that include fiber? It would help to figure out restricted (>8g) or not.