South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 142/138/115

Height: 5'2

Default Beer :(

I have a question. I am a beer lover. I usually have a beer in the evening about 3 nights a week. I dont like sweets so beer has been my "dessert" of choice for a good long while, lol. I have pretty much convinced myself that 2 clean weeks at phase 1 is doable and worth it to me, so I will forgo beer, but, in reading the book I dont see beer as acceptable ever I see red wine in moderation on phase 2 & 3, but no mention of beer. Anybody know if beer is ever ok??? I could go forever without pasta and bread and sugar, but beer... The thought is too depressing.
funnygirl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW 270/see ticker/GW 150

Height: 5'9"

I still drink beer. It probably slows my weight loss down but I'm still losing nonetheless. I know for some it can lower their willpower, but it doesn't for me. I think to each her own!
YeahYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:30 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I don't have the book but I do remember Dr. A saying in the original book that beer is not allowed. He says the carbs in beer are different and hit your blood stream hard. Does anyone know if that was changed in the new book?
I switched to wine completely because of that.

ETA - It looks like you can have one light beer in Phase 2

Last edited by CyndiM; 07-19-2011 at 06:33 AM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8"

Firstly, I feel your pain. Luckily I am a wine drinker so don't have to deal with the question of giving up beer. Having said that, ask yourself if it is really only one beer a night (one glass of wine is never enough for me) and could you restrict your beer consumption to one night a week and have a glass of wine or another more sbd friendly 'beverage' the other nights? I'm all for allowing cheats, but I do believe what Cyndi said about it hitting you hard. Also, if you are really a beer lover, I doubt a light beer would do it for you.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

That's why I gave up beer, I only drank microbrewery beers. I have had one since starting SBD and it actually made me feel really bloated. I'm not used to that anymore.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 161/133.8/135

Height: 5'6"

I would suggest a few weeks on phase 2 where you are losing weight steadily, then add back a beer and see how that affects your weight loss. If you throw in a beer too early it may affect your early weight loss and you might become discouraged.

Besides doing SBD I also count my carbs (just my own thing I do) and if you choose to watch your carbs too you can probably squeeze a beer into your total carb count. I keep my carbs under 100g/day for weight loss. I don't do super low carbs.

I envy your lack of a sweet tooth, my downfall!
nanjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 142/138/115

Height: 5'2

Thanks guys, I suppose it is something I will just have to deal with. I am a bit of beer snob, I dont really like domestic beer much, but I can tolerate it with a little lime or tomato juice. Guess when I get into phase 2 I will just think of beer as an extra special treat that I have to earn after a week of clean eating and exercise. Of course my beer of choice is probably the worst beer you can drink diet wise. I love me some Guinness Extra Stout. I really do just like having one beer, not that I never have more than one beer if I am with friends. But like I said, I kinda think of beer as a dessert, A way to top off the night. I drink beer like many drink wine, Im a connoisseur so to speak. I know if Im going to make this a lifestyle I will have to keep in mind the pleasure of being thin vs the pleasure of beer, and keep it in moderation.
funnygirl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

I look at beer as a major cheat. However, I do drink it on occasion. I did a clean 2 weeks of P1 and when I go off plan with a night of drinking I follow it up with a few days of clean P1. And always lots of water. It's a personal choice, I guess, how strict you want to be. If you want to follow it perfectly, one light beer on occasion. Otherwise, try adding it in after your P1 and see how it affects you!
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 282/276/135

Height: 5'6

When I did SB before, my drink of choice was vodka. After the first 2 weeks of phase one, I let myself have (a lot of) vodka on Saturday nights (but always just with club soda, no sugary drinks). It didn't slow down my weight loss, though, and I suspect low carb beer would be the same way.
I'd suggest trying to keep it to a minimum in a week, and see how it makes you feel and weigh afterwards.
beachmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote