General chatter - Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and other Diet/Health shows

chubbycanuck
07-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Has anyone watched this documentary? One of my friends sent me the trailer and I checked the movie out.

It's about this Aussie bloke who goes on a two month juice fast while he road trips across the USA. He looses 91lbs and inspires a bunch of people to go on a juice fast as well. After the fast he continues to eat healthy and excerise.

No my ideal diet and eating plan but it was an interesting film to watch.

Does anyone else watch TV shows and Documentaries like this to inspire them or give them ideas. I really liked watching a show called Supersize Superskinny that examined the eating habits of the seriously over and under weight.

I also remember watching a food culture documentary hosted by Alan Alda where he investigated the eating habits of Americans including everything from Native American traditional diets to marcobiotic raw diets.

I like learning about different food points. Does anyone else do this?

peanutt
07-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Absolutely. I watch/read/listen to as much as I can relating to nutrition, health and exercise. I love learning new things and love learning about these topics from various perspectives. So I listen to some Paleo podcasts, some vegan podcasts, etc. I'll have to look for the ones you mentioned....I've actually heard a couple of different comments about that juice fast documentary today!

EricAnn
07-19-2011, 01:31 AM
Hey fellow Canadians! Haha... and fellow Albertan! chubbycanuck I always try to catch Supersize vs. Superskinny, it's really interesting to see both sides of the spectrum. Another show from the UK, Embarrassing Fat Bodies, is an interesting one too - very graphic though. That documentary sounds really interesting, I'll try to get my hands on that.

abluvion
07-19-2011, 11:16 AM
I just watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead on Netflix the other day - it's on instant view right now. It was interesting... Nearly convinced me to buy a juicer ;) But as I have reactive hypoglycemia I think removing all the fiber from what I eat and not having protein would be a bad, bad idea!

Another good one on Netflix is Food Matters... Ingredients is a documentary about local, organic, slow food which is interesting. Fat Head is a rebuttal to Super Size Me and makes some great points. All those are documentaries available on Netflix instant for the Americans (I understand you can't do Netflix in Canada).

I love watching documentaries about food.... Food Inc, King Corn... There are so many and I'm forgetting them now. It's fascinating watching the dysfunction of the modern food industry...

mayness
07-19-2011, 12:09 PM
I like to study nutrition for fun, so I've watched a lot of documentaries.

I loved King Corn, Fat Head, and Food, Inc.

I tried to watch Food Matters but right toward the beginning someone said something very woo-woo about cooking being unhealthy because it "destroys enzymes" and I got pissed and turned it off. :p Maybe later they prove that guy wrong, but it was just really off from what I was expecting and it turned me off from watching the movie.

This is on Youtube so you might have to watch it on a computer or something, but Sugar: The Bitter Truth is fantastic. There's lots of biochemistry so I'd imagine it's a little heavy for the average person, but it's very interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

chubbycanuck
07-19-2011, 06:58 PM
I am definately going to check out Food Matters. I loved Food. Inc but it was really um... eye opening!

Im going to check out King Corn and Fat Head to, thanks for the suggestions!

abluvion
07-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Mayness, no one comes around to contradict that guy :dizzy: He's some worldwide expert on raw/vegan/etc, so that is his dearly held belief! :)

You really should give Food Matters a second chance though! It was really interesting. The main point is talking about how modern medicine routinely fails us, and how we should look to what we are putting in our bodies in order to promote health. Doctors aren't trained in nutrition, but nutrition plays a HUGE role in health. Lots of talk about vitamins and whatnot. It definitely inspired me to start taking my vitamins again and have done so every morning since I watched it :) I highly recommend giving it another shot!

mayness
07-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Good to know, abluvion... I'll put it back on the Netflix queue and give it another chance! :)

RawrDinosaur
07-20-2011, 07:55 PM
What's funny is that I had just put Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead in my Netflix instant queue just days before this thread was created. I have felt my motivation waning the last few days, so I decided to watch it today.

Wow - super motivating movie!
Makes me want to try it to kick things into gear. I don't have a juicer, but I may think about getting one soon. Meanwhile, my motivation is back. So thanks for that!

Serval87
07-21-2011, 12:11 PM
I love watching documentaries on food, exercise, and eating in general. I just watched one on eating disorders yesterday called "Thin". It was sad, but good.

RawrDinosaur
07-21-2011, 01:16 PM
I watched Food Matters yesterday too, and liked it quite a bit. There was one guy on there that was a bit "off"(I think it's the "woo-woo" guy mayness mentioned), but otherwise, fantastic movie.

swansong56
07-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Thank you Mayness, very interesting video.

canadianwoman
07-23-2011, 04:46 PM
I am a third of the way through the documentary right now (Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead) and I am already inspired....and as I am watching it I cannot help thinking about my older sister who died at age 62 on February 17 2010 in a hospital room weighing over 650 pounds....and sadly I am headed down the same path at the age of 49.

I am glad that I clicked on this thread because it made me curious enough to go find the movie. :)

mgauuril58
07-24-2011, 05:38 PM
I saw this movie on instant Netflix as well (Fat, Sick, And Nearly Dead) It hit home for me. My mom has diabetes and doesn't have health insurance. I told her about the doc and told her I wanted to try it. She thought I was nuts. I had her watch it with me and it changed her mind.
I am borrowing a friends juicer and am on Day 9!! I've lost more weight in the 9 days than I did working out for a month! 9 Days ago I weight 278. Today I'm down to 265. I can't remember seeing those numbers on a scale with ME standing on it! Don't get me wrong, it's tough the first few days but it's getting easier! There's at least 1 thought a day where I want to give up. But the progress is so great I don't want to throw it away! If anyone decides to start it, make sure you start on your days off from work. You'll be grumpy and really hungry and tired. Do light exercising. Drink lots of water! And good luck!!

canadianwoman
07-24-2011, 08:45 PM
I saw this movie on instant Netflix as well (Fat, Sick, And Nearly Dead) It hit home for me. My mom has diabetes and doesn't have health insurance. I told her about the doc and told her I wanted to try it. She thought I was nuts. I had her watch it with me and it changed her mind.
I am borrowing a friends juicer and am on Day 9!! I've lost more weight in the 9 days than I did working out for a month! 9 Days ago I weight 278. Today I'm down to 265. I can't remember seeing those numbers on a scale with ME standing on it! Don't get me wrong, it's tough the first few days but it's getting easier! There's at least 1 thought a day where I want to give up. But the progress is so great I don't want to throw it away! If anyone decides to start it, make sure you start on your days off from work. You'll be grumpy and really hungry and tired. Do light exercising. Drink lots of water! And good luck!!

Great advice. Thank you. I plan on trying it as soon as I purchase a juicer.
At this point I have nothing to lose....except the fat.

Horo
07-24-2011, 09:49 PM
I watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead and Food Matters since reading this thread and found both very interesting. One I really want to see is Forks over Knives but I'm going to wait until I can get it on Netflix or somewhere similar.

A while back I did try to watch Fat Head but the narrator was so obnoxious I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes. :shrug:

chubbycanuck
07-25-2011, 02:12 AM
Im doing a modified version of the juice fast starting tomorrow. I have certain health issues that mean I can't go whole hog so to speak but I will be following the diet in principle. I am interested to see how it goes.

mgauuril58
07-25-2011, 03:08 AM
Great advice. Thank you. I plan on trying it as soon as I purchase a juicer.
At this point I have nothing to lose....except the fat.

Word of advice.. be sure to get a good juicer that can juice fruits whole or at least in half. My friends juicer that I'm using is Jack Lalanne and it works great for me. You don't want a small one where you'll have to work hard chopping up your food and cleaning out while you juice.
Good luck girl, just keep a positive head on and you'll get through it! The first 4 days were tough for me. But just keep drinking and you'll learn to love it.
Other side affects I got was really bad breath (haha) and smelly skin and I broke out in pimples.. but today is the first day I've noticed it's all gone. It's just your body detoxing.

canadianwoman
07-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Word of advice.. be sure to get a good juicer that can juice fruits whole or at least in half. My friends juicer that I'm using is Jack Lalanne and it works great for me. You don't want a small one where you'll have to work hard chopping up your food and cleaning out while you juice.
Good luck girl, just keep a positive head on and you'll get through it! The first 4 days were tough for me. But just keep drinking and you'll learn to love it.
Other side affects I got was really bad breath (haha) and smelly skin and I broke out in pimples.. but today is the first day I've noticed it's all gone. It's just your body detoxing.

I figure that I will go through some sort of a detox for a while. I eat pretty healthy now (no processed foods or fast foods) so with luck the detox won't be too bad.
I was looking at a Jack Lalanne juicer. They are currently on special this week at a local hardware store. $40.00 down from the original price. I noticed it in the store's weekly flyer.

Embuhlee
07-25-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm almost done watching 'Food Matters', and now that I saw it in here, 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead' is next on my list.

I never realized how much crap I ate. I knew it wasn't healthy, my diet, but holy crap.

Stressbucket
07-25-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm on the juicing diet now, it's working great! The juices have soluble fiber and I have added healthy lowfat protein sources to start. I'm having trouble giving up caffeine and artificial sweetener, but I'm taking it one day at a time. I'm surprised that I'm not starving, but I'm not! I keep a bottle of my juice on my desk and take a swig now and then.

canadianwoman
07-25-2011, 04:00 PM
'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead' is next on my list..

You'll love it. It is truly inspiring. :)

Suzanne 3FC
07-25-2011, 11:54 PM
I just watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead and enjoyed it as well! The transformations in both men were amazing.

Wesa
08-07-2011, 04:43 PM
I just started a juice fast after being inspired
my the movie. I love the juice so far. I know it will be hard, but I am ready for a healthy change!

tinneranne2
08-08-2011, 11:54 PM
I loved Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead ... for those of you doing a juice fast/diet ...what are you juicing? that is to say, so you have ingredient lists or is there some master website where the info is?

I don't really have an interest in juicing exclusively for any period of time but it seems like such a great way to get a ton of veggies into my system. :)