Old 07-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #1  

Height: 5'1"

Default Placed my order!! I'm super excited!! Anyone have any tips for new starters??

WOOO!!!!
totalconfusion87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #2  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

First off - good for you! Medifast is so simple, and it works. Take a look around here, and the Medifast board - there are lots of tips and tricks.

Here are my major tips -
Drink your water, and then drink some more. If you're really hungry, drink some more water then, too.

Stock up on dill pickles! Sometimes I really NEED the salt and crunch.

Seasonings are your friends - most of the soups need them, and many of the other foods benefit from some spices. Extracts and cocoa powder can transform shakes and pudding into new flavors.

Anything you're going to eat hot, mix with warm or hot water. A mini whisk helps, too.

The shakes thicken up if you let them sit for awhile before you drink them. So does the pancake batter. Most of the soups are better if you let them "soak" for awhile before eating, also.

Good luck to you - you can do it!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:42 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

The first two-three days can be rough for some, but stick with it! You'll feel better once your metabolism shifts.

Don't overdo exercise. If you're not a regular exerciser, wait two weeks before you start, and then add something simple and relatively easy, like going for a walk. If you already exercise, take it easy at first.

Follow directions! Space out the meals 2-3 hours apart. Don't skip. Measure your foods for lean & green--don't try to skimp on food there, 'cause you need it!

You may not like every Medifast food. That's OK! You can custom order the next time--remove the ones you don't like, add ones you do.

Medifast bars are your friends. Take one with you whenever you're going somewhere just in case you get delayed and need to eat.

Good luck!!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 07-17-2011 at 06:42 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:02 AM   #4  
Releasing the inner hiker

I wouldn't do an automatic reorder until after your second month. I ended up with a lot of food I never ate because I started from the beginning with their monthly package.

If you find a food you dislike, try adding more water to it. I love the oatmeals, something many others despise, but I add a lot more water to them than required (think soupy).

And, I agree with JayEll; the first few days are the hardest.

Good luck!
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/218/150

Height: 5'2"

I found that the gravy method works best with all my puddings, soups and oatmeals.

In your container put a small amounty of cold water in first and then add the meal. Stir till you have a paste, then add boiling hot water, not to the pudding though, till you have added the recommended amount and stir. Same thing with the pudding except only cold water. That's the only way I have been able to get rid of all the lumps.

For the soups I let them sit like 15 mins and the puddings I make for my next meal and put them in the fridge. It might just be me but I like my pudding really cold.

I have had no luck with the pancakes yet but I'm not that upset as I don't miss pancakes at all.

Congrats to you for starting. I can't wait to watch your success.
wildgrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #6  

Thanks! Would any of you recommend either the bullet blender or that healthmate blender as being helpful on plan? I was considering getting a bullet blender to help with puddings, soft serve, etc.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #7  

I got my order in 24 hrs and started on Friday! SO excited So far, so good but I did not plan to be out so long yesterday and had to eat off plan. Only food I don't like so far is the oatmeal so I may try and find ways to make it tastier.
abcmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #8  
Shrinking Chick

Wildgrits, have you tried making a pancake muffin? Spray a coffee mug with Pam, mix the pancake mix in it - add a pinch of baking powder, a few sprays of fake butter, and some cinnamon. Microwave it 1 minute 15 seconds on high. You can pop in on a plate, or eat it right out of the mug. I like to add a couple more sprays of fake butter and a sprinkle of Splenda on top.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #9  
Shrinking Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalconfusion87 View Post
Thanks! Would any of you recommend either the bullet blender or that healthmate blender as being helpful on plan? I was considering getting a bullet blender to help with puddings, soft serve, etc.
I'm 3 months in, and haven't bought a mini blender yet. I do have a very good Cuisinart stick blender that will crush ice, though. I don't usually make the soft serve as directed - it's a lot of work with the stick blender. They make great thick shakes, though.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddy View Post
Wildgrits, have you tried making a pancake muffin? Spray a coffee mug with Pam, mix the pancake mix in it - add a pinch of baking powder, a few sprays of fake butter, and some cinnamon. Microwave it 1 minute 15 seconds on high. You can pop in on a plate, or eat it right out of the mug. I like to add a couple more sprays of fake butter and a sprinkle of Splenda on top.
I will try this recipe. Worst that can happen is I throw it out which is it's fate anyways.

It is a same there is no cheap and easy way to share foods with each other so that we can exchange foods we don't like. I would take everyones oatmeal and gladly give up my crab soup and peanutbutter soft serve. Actually I feel lucky cause I like almost everything I have tried.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalconfusion87 View Post
I have the Bullet for home and the HB Single Serve Blender for work. I love the bullet. The HB was nice and cheap but I cannot bring myself to drink out of the cup because there are those teeth staring at you at the bottom of it. So I end up pouring the drink into something else and washing two glasses. No Good.

I would buy the Medifast blender if I could find any reviews on it. The price seems great if it is truly the same as the bullet.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #12  
Shrinking Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgrits View Post

It is a same there is no cheap and easy way to share foods with each other so that we can exchange foods we don't like. I would take everyones oatmeal and gladly give up my crab soup and peanutbutter soft serve. Actually I feel lucky cause I like almost everything I have tried.
I live in Ballston Spa, and I have 5 apple cinnamon oatmeals I'm not eating right now. I like them; it's just too hot out for me to eat oatmeal. If you really want to trade, PM me - we could meet in Latham or somewhere else in between. I LOVE the PB softserve!
Old 07-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddy View Post
I live in Ballston Spa, and I have 5 apple cinnamon oatmeals I'm not eating right now. I like them; it's just too hot out for me to eat oatmeal. If you really want to trade, PM me - we could meet in Latham or somewhere else in between. I LOVE the PB softserve!
Sounds like a plan. I will pm you.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #14  

Everyone's tastes are different, so I have tried to keep an open mind on all products. I am also fixing them as stated first. If its that unbearable, then, I might find a recipe to spruce it up.

When you first start, they say you can have a 6th MF meal if you need to, but I didn't. I didn't need it, not to mention I want to get the most loss!

You can have 3 condiments and optional snacks. Pickle spears really helped the first day, I loaded up on them at the store, and haven't really eaten them since. Its another one of those...if I can minimize the "extra's", I might maximize the loss. I've never been one to add salt or a lot of spice to my foods.

I don't use a blender. I use a BlenderBall (got at Amazon)...it mixes just fine for me.

I use a corningware mug I got from Target (great price). There, I can fix my pancake in a mug at work.

The infusers are great - a great way to break up the water "bleh".

If you have a thyroid condition, get some non-soy products for the morning.

The bars - are waaaay good. Maybe too good.

If you are not a veggie person but ok w/ salad...a salad can be an easier way to get the veggies in. If you are a seafood person, you have scored w/ this program... up to 7 ounces of cooked fish (depends on fish).

Don't be afraid to eat out, plenty of choices. the hard thing is ignoring the breads, oils and desserts Last night I just started my own restaurant blog to keep up with some choices at restaurants: diningoutwithoptions at blogspot I figure it will help me when thinking about the weights of food.

Hopefully you have a food scale, must have on most diets. I like the ones that have oz and grams...and the TARE feature...where you put your plate on the scale, then zero it out so you can figure the weight of just the food itself. Also, go ahead and have one that goes up to 10 or 11 pounds...its great for postage. Mine hangs on my wall.

Print out the MF material and have it handy in your kitchen. You can't memorize it all at first.

Log all of your meals/water/etc.

Be sure to look at your account on MF or TSFL to see when your next auto-order will be...come back several days before to edit it. I've heard of people getting caught off guard and getting the same stuff. BTW - new products are getting ready to be announced.

Take your measurements if you haven't already. I've read many people who regret not doing that.

Be prepared to go to the bathroom a LOT. I can't even go grocery shopping without having to pee first so I can make it through the shopping trip.

Keep bars (or something like that) in your purse in case you get stuck somewhere.

Sorry this is so long.
I just started two weeks ago.
If I could have a stinkin' signature, it would show that I've lost over 9 pounds in 2 weeks.

Its a simple plan, but not always easy.
Best wishes!
Toodles!
Shirley
vball4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:59 AM   #15  

thanks everyone! I've decided to start on monday!

I'm making a planner that tracks just about everything (i'm a graphic designer) using the MF boxes as a cover...

i picked the brownie for now... can't wait to use it!