Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Is movie popcorn a must do?

View Full Version : Is movie popcorn a must do?

fight2winthis
07-16-2011, 06:08 AM
I know popcorn is generally considered a healthy snack, but where I live they don't have small sizes or low calories, low fat/butter etc, plus they use sugar, which i'm used to lol. It's just one huge box. Even if you plan to share it with a friend it's still lots. Since I'm not sure how many calories are in it and I don't want to sabotage my weight loss efforts because i've always believed I couldn't watch a movie without popcorn, (going to the the movies are about the only thing I enjoy doing for fun on weekends). Is it weird to skip the popcorn for a while until I reach my weight loss goals? I don't like to feel 'deprived'; it's a certified binge-trigger for me. I just want to know if it's not too weird :?: to skip it or is it like a must-do for a movie? Thanks much in adv for ur ideas:corn:.

TIARA
07-16-2011, 06:16 AM
lol... what i have done in the past is make a mini bag of pop corn at home and ziplock it and bring it with me in my purse. it helps me stay on plan and not spend millions at the food counter..

JessLess
07-16-2011, 06:31 AM
It has so many calories that I won't eat movie theater popcorn. It's just not worth it to me. I usually just get water and it's no big deal.

xxkaleidoscopic
07-16-2011, 06:39 AM
I've learned to give it up, honestly. And I don't miss it much anymore. My weight loss efforts are more important to me. I like TIARA's suggestion, though. You can make a healthier (and cheaper) alternative at home and just sneak it in with you!

mamakat
07-16-2011, 09:07 AM
LOL...I just posted yesterday that I went to the movies and didn't have popcorn (which in the past I would consider a SIN). I love love love popcorn and always had a large (by myself) when I went to movies. Lucky for me I didn't go that often. Or was it lucky? On my last birthday I got a new popcorn popper (oil) and I was eating so much of it. Unlike you I had never had it with sugar but my daughter had seen it on TV and wanted to try it. Guess what? I loved it. So snack snack snack away I went thinking it wouldn't hurt ITS POPCORN. Well I just finished losing the weight I gained back from eating just popcorn.

So yes, it feels weird and you'll smell it and want it...I know I did. But afterwards have a drink and something healthy and before anything else let that set for a bit in your tummy. The urges will subside or so they did for me. Popcorn is a treat to be had in small quantities and theatres don't know small.

Heather
07-16-2011, 09:13 AM
Popcorn can be a healthy treat -- but never when popped by a movie theatre!! Lots of good ideas here!

One comment, you said:
Is it weird to skip the popcorn for a while until I reach my weight loss goals?

Your comment suggests that you are feeling like you're on a "diet". You'll lose weight, and then be able to resume some (or all) of your old habits -- like movie popcorn.

Most of us have found through experience that this strategy is a recipe for weight gain. Instead, successful maintainers report that they have to continue using their new, healthier habits to keep the weight off.

xxkaleidoscopic
07-16-2011, 09:13 AM
LOL...I just posted yesterday that I went to the movies and didn't have popcorn (which in the past I would consider a SIN). I love love love popcorn and always had a large (by myself) when I went to movies. Lucky for me I didn't go that often. Or was it lucky? On my last birthday I got a new popcorn popper (oil) and I was eating so much of it. Unlike you I had never had it with sugar but my daughter had seen it on TV and wanted to try it. Guess what? I loved it. So snack snack snack away I went thinking it wouldn't hurt ITS POPCORN. Well I just finished losing the weight I gained back from eating just popcorn.

So yes, it feels weird and you'll smell it and want it...I know I did. But afterwards have a drink and something healthy and before anything else let that set for a bit in your tummy. The urges will subside or so they did for me. Popcorn is a treat to be had in small quantities and theatres don't know small.

Actually, popcorn without butter and without salt is really not bad for you - you can eat a ton for very few calories, and I believe it doesn't have much sodium in it without added salt. But obviously the movie theaters douse them in oils and butters like they're planning to light it on fire. =P

JenMusic
07-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Growing up, my dad refused to buy concessions at the movie theater (he always called the prices "highway robbery!"). :) I've never gotten into the habit of buying popcorn at the movies - Coke, yes, but no to popcorn - so trust me, you're not weird in not buying it.

Part of the weight loss journey, IMO, is re-thinking when and where food is "required." For myself, food is required to nourish and sustain me and keep my body fueled with good things. VERY occasionally, food is for "fun." Every person's definition of fun is different, I think the key is identifying those rare times in advance, and making sure it's really worth it.

Popcorn at the movies isn't worth it to me, but my mom's famous Mystery Pie at Thanksgiving sure is! :)

xxkaleidoscopic
07-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Growing up, my dad refused to buy concessions at the movie theater (he always called the prices "highway robbery!"). :) I've never gotten into the habit of buying popcorn at the movies - Coke, yes, but no to popcorn - so trust me, you're not weird in not buying it.

Part of the weight loss journey, IMO, is re-thinking when and where food is "required." For myself, food is required to nourish and sustain me and keep my body fueled with good things. VERY occasionally, food is for "fun." Every person's definition of fun is different, I think the key is identifying those rare times in advance, and making sure it's really worth it.

Popcorn at the movies isn't worth it to me, but my mom's famous Mystery Pie at Thanksgiving sure is! :)

That is an excellent point. A lot of us attach food to events or feelings. Sitting in front of a television means eating chips or something of the kind. Soon enough, every moment and habit is an excuse to indulge... eep!

98DaysOfSummer
07-16-2011, 09:21 AM
I always sort of considered eating at the movies something that was only for little kids so I think it's fine to skip it. I just don't see a lot of adults with popcorn and candy at the theater (except my husband :dizzy:).

For me, it is never an issue to skip eating in public - I don't want to be the fat lady with the huge popcorn, ice cream, obnoxious coffee "drink", fried food, buffet, or any other fat person cliche. I guess if I ate out for every meal, I might be a whole lot thinner.

Beach Patrol
07-16-2011, 09:43 AM
I say have a meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner... depending what time of day you go to a movie) BEFORE you hit the theater. Then you won't want to eat anything while you're there. I always have water with me everywhere I go, so that's all I do when I'm at the movies... which isn't very often (I hate theaters... crowds... stoooopid prices of everything & most movies aren't worth seeing in the 1st place!... but that's another thread... :^: )

Rana
07-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Small AMC bag of popcorn = approximately 400 calories.

Not worth it to me because it's a MEAL's worth of calories.

I'd rather take popcorn from home, in a baggie. Even the kettle corn is less calories (approximately 1 serving per sandwich baggie = 150 calories) and I can still enjoy it.

NTexas
07-16-2011, 10:13 AM
With research and forethought, even a trip to the movies can be healthy. I know becuase I lived there last week. I spent the past week at "Harry Potter Week" where I saw 2 movies every night for 4 nights (including Deathly Hallows Pt 2 at midnight - brilliant, btw). I ate popcorn (which was included on my pass) 3 of the nights. A small popcorn with no butter at Harkins is only 250 calories http://www.livestrong.com/article/314785-the-calories-in-harkins-popcorn/, which is roughly the same as microwave popcorn at home. Two bites per kernel and it lasts a long time. I also brought in my grilled chicken sandwhiches and grapes in for late dinners. Blessedlly my pass allowed me to skip the HUGE line that started at 8am on Thursday so I walzted into the theatre at 7 with my dinner and treats (peanut M&Ms - my fav) to help me stay awake until 3am when I got home :)
The scale has only ticked up 1 pound and I am expecting TOM anytime now, so going to the movies doesn't have to mess you up.

morphomel
07-16-2011, 10:46 AM
I really don't understand the need to eat when one goes to see a movie. It's only 2-3 hours. Why the need to eat popcorn? I actually get a little irritated (not directed at anyone here) when popcorn crunches or the bag crinkles or someone slurps up soda. There's a reason I only see maybe 1 movie a year and that's when it's on the verge of leaving theaters.

KatieC87
07-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Mmmmm.... Movie theater popcorn is the best and worst all at once! My mom came to me one day telling me about how many calories is in a large bucket of Regal popcorn WITHOUT BUTTER! I can't remember the exact number, but I do remember feeling disgusted.

I don't think popcorn is a "must do" though. The only time I ever get popcorn is if I'm just hungry. I mean, even a small popcorn at Regal fills you up! Just eat dinner beforehand and bring a healthy snack with you in your purse. For me personally, I love munching on sweets during a movie, so I'd probably bring a 100 calorie bag of cookies or a chocolate pudding with me and skip the double dipped chocolate peanuts. (Double mmmmm!)

mamakat
07-16-2011, 11:01 AM
morphomel for me the eating and drinking was established when I was a kid. I grew up in poverty and going to the theatre was a treat (figuratively and literally). Nothing beat theatre popcorn and soda pop and candy and even back then it was a fortune. We had a $ cinema and would save and beg for money for the treats that we did not get at home. So I guess as I grew up and had the money I splurged like McD's oh man, when I had money to by a big mac. Even now when my kids ask for something I always say yes because I never had it (or rarely). Eating and drinking are part of the experience or at least it was for me. That's how I got here (heavy) I became a wild eater, had to eat it all so no one else would get it or maybe tomorrow I won't have the money to buy it.
I need some deprogramming. And yesterday I showed myself I don't need the popcorn....so yay me. :)

heathermichigan
07-16-2011, 11:04 AM
I really love popcorn, too, but I always bring something else with me to eat instead--either a Luna Bar, a Fiber One bar (the peanut butter chocolate one!), or even a very small amount of Swedish Fish or lite microwave popcorn in a Ziploc bag in my purse.
It's all about changing your habits. Good luck!

Tabbycat
07-16-2011, 01:24 PM
I made popcorn in the air popper at home and took it in with me (one baggie in my purse and one baggie in my jacket pocket) and a small 8 ounce water bottle. I also took a pack of sugarless gum with me, and I did not feel deprived; I felt good that I was not taking in hundreds of calories and loads of fat.

lin43
07-16-2011, 01:36 PM
I never got used to eating popcorn at the movies. When I was a teen, I used to love going to the movies by myself, and I was always too broke to spring for the popcorn, so I got used to not eating it when watching a movie. I'm really glad now that I don't have that habit.

However, if you feel deprived, I would do as one of the other posters suggested and carry your own bag of popped microwave popcorn (just be sure to hide it when you enter!).

kaplods
07-16-2011, 01:40 PM
No it's not weird, but even if it were, and if everyone in the theater did think you're weird, are you going to let it make you eat food you know isn't good for you or stop you from going to the movies?

Sometimes, to lose weight you've got to be weird.

I was raised to believe that a fat girl going to the pool or beach was "too weird," (if not down right wrong). And yet the water is the only place I can do intense activity without having an asthma attack or feeling like I'm getting heat stroke.

I had to be ok with being weird, and even being "gross," to some people.

No one is likely to tell you that you have to buy snacks at the movies, and if
you're so influenced by people's impressions of you that you're afraid to go to the movies without eating popcorn (where no one is likely to pressure you to buy popcorn - except maybe the food concession guy), how are you going to resist all the other social pressures to eat - when people will be offended if you don't eat (and even overeat), and will think you're weird or even rude for declining.

With 2/3 of the USA overweight, you have the choice of being weird or fat.

I'm learning to embrace weird.

Arctic Mama
07-16-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm lucky, I love popcorn but hate movie popcorn, so making some at home works fine for me. Honestly though, my movie theatre treat is sweet tarts and a diet coke, and has been for years and years, so that saves me on the calorie front :)

Lori Bell
07-16-2011, 01:56 PM
When I decided to change my life, I also changed my playgrounds. I had a difficult time going to a bar without drinking so I quit going to bars. I had a hard time going to certain resturants without over eating so I quit going to them. If you are really serious about changing your life, sometimes you just have change your playmates and your playgrounds.

caryesings
07-16-2011, 02:25 PM
An important part of my lifestyle change was not associating activities with food. Movies don't have to equal popcorn, sporting events don't have to equal hot dog, morning meetings don't have to equal donuts.

Once I just made a rule that eating doesn't go with activities, it's easier to pass up those food choices, rather than talking myself out of something unhealthy. I don't try to come up with a healthier option, just stopped the association.

christine123
07-16-2011, 02:52 PM
I live in California and some of the theaters now post nutritional facts for their food and drink items at the snack bar where you order. It's scary. Now I just buy a cup of coffee instead if I really need something.

foodmasochist
07-16-2011, 03:36 PM
skinnypop is amazing popcorn-so yummy, and i think it's 39 calories a cup. sneak some of that into the theatre and you'll be rockin' and rollin' !

-fm

Larry H
07-16-2011, 05:01 PM
I think of this cartoon and it helps a lot!!:D:D:D:D

Larry,

alaskanlaughter
07-16-2011, 05:57 PM
we go to the movie theaters literally once a year or less...so when we go, it's a treat for us and for our kids....we will definitely be buying the popcorn, soda and candy both for the kids and for us...although usually we share a big tub all together...and i will definitely be eating it....however i dont feel bad about it because we go ONCE a year or less

there was one time that i didn't go to the movies for 5 years...i went once when i was pregnant and the next time was when our son was 4 1/2 lol...it's a treat! we took our littlest son to see Toy Story 3 last summer with all the experience of the movies (popcorn etc) and just this summer we went again to see Cars 2

there is no way we are shelling out those prices to go more than once a year LOL!

alaskanlaughter
07-16-2011, 05:58 PM
I think of this cartoon and it helps a lot!!:D:D:D:D

Larry,

HA!! i almost spit out my coffee LMAO! i totally have to show that to my friends, a family who has a business cleaning the movie theaters around here LOLOL

canadianwoman
07-17-2011, 01:10 AM
I don't digest popcorn (or any other corn product) very well so I skip it and just have bottled water.

fight2winthis
07-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Whoo hooo!:carrot: Me watched movie sans popcorn! Me is very proud (thumps chest). What I did was i had a nice lunch just before the movie, so buying popcorn for the movie (which i would have done in the past and stuffed it down even on a full stomach) was out of the question. I was surprised at how much noise came from popcorn paper, kernels being chewed, (ditto Morphomel), It was actually quite annoying.

@Heather. You're absolutely right! This 'diet' mentality, that keeps me feeling like I just want to lose weight so I can go ahead and eat this or that is really keeping me from progress. I almost reached my weight loss goals earlier this year but somehow just got fed up of counting calories, pounds, inches... And ended up with weight gain, which i'm trying to handle now. I really need to convince myself that I can eat treats in moderation without feeling like i've sabotaged my diet, and also eat healthy as a way of life.

@Lori Bell. Two years maintaining? Whoa! I couldnt maintain for a week without splurging on my new found 'freedom'. I guess I should realise what being healthy for life is really worth, and make the changes to support my decision

@Caryesings. The movie was just as nice without popcorn, so I would stop getting anxious on movie weekends.

@Larry H Lol! Now that would come in handy!

Thanks sooo much for this! There's nothing worse than feeling alone in your efforts. :hug: You guys make it fun to make the necessary sacrifices to win!

bellaella
07-18-2011, 09:20 PM
i buy popcorn too and its badd... especially the ones there... heheh now i sneak in my own popcorn from kernals b/c i like the bbq or the jalepeno flavor ones... i like to think they have less fat b/c its not coated in butter. and kernals has snack size options to limit your consumption!

kimicat76
07-19-2011, 12:55 AM
@Larry yeah things like that are what got me hating hot dogs and chicken nuggets from mcdonalds. im proud to say i havent set a foot in one or consumed anything from mickey ds in about a year and a half. havent ate hot dogs in about a year =) i usually get a pickle when i got to the movies ^_^

ChickieChicks
07-19-2011, 10:18 AM
I've gone to the movies 3 times since starting my diet this summer, which is funny, since I barely see 1 movie a year. LOL

I take myown snack, usually soy crisps, since they are light and salty like popcorn.

LataJones
07-19-2011, 10:42 AM
I used to be one of those people that would buy a large popcorn and eat it all by myself, getting mad if I had to share it. Now I am content with sharing a small/medium with someone. Usually I will let them eat most of it while I enjoy a few handfuls, keeping my calorie count low.

However, the theatres I go to sell terrible popcorn anyway, bland, very little salt. I prefer to eat the microwave popcorn at home.

Angelique
07-19-2011, 10:50 AM
We like to go to the movies a lot, especially during the summer..We've been probably five or six times since I started my weight loss. After I saw how many calories and the fat in the popcorn, I haven't touched it. I am a firm believer in not going the route of denying myself my favorites, but I think movie popcorn may be the the one food I give up for life. It's just not worth it.

I've just been watching the movie and not eating anything.

nelie
07-19-2011, 11:20 AM
I can count on 1 hand how many times I've had popcorn while in a movie theater in my life. Maybe 3 times? I think it is weird to think that you have to have popcorn to watch a movie.

SouthLake
07-19-2011, 11:21 AM
I have finally come to the realization that movie theater popcorn doesnt make me feel good. It actually makes me feel a little sick. It was really difficult the first two or three movies, now I don't miss it at all.

astrophe
07-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Why is it weird?

I don't have it at all. Ever. I think popcorn is gross. Movie or not. ;)

But I avoid other trigger foods BECAUSE they are trigger foods. If your trigger is popcorn, I think it's a good strategy to just not bother with it.

There are some things I can eat in moderation and other things that just trigger me. I find it easier to resist once and not buy it at all than to be having to resist and struggle with portion control a zillion times later.

HTH!
A.

tdiprincess
07-19-2011, 07:31 PM
I agree with a lot of these options for you! When I'm home I make my popcorn healthy. I also agree that you shouldn't make food decisions based on feeling like the odd-man-out. You have to decide what is more important, your peers or your health!

However, I'm with Alaskanlaughter on this one. We go to the movies maybe 1 time a year, possibly twice. We enjoy the popcorn and treats. Then we're done. I recognize though that this isn't everyone.

yoyoma
07-19-2011, 08:46 PM
I am cheap. Even when I wasn't dieting I wouldn't buy the incredibly overpriced popcorn, soda, and candy. Since my daughter was born, I have sprung for movie "treats" a few times, but that was because I planned badly. Usually, I plan for us to eat just before going to a movie, and often that includes a bowl of hot air popped popcorn (with a drizzle of oil, herbs, and a shake of butter flavored salt).

That said, we don't go out to movies all that often (see: I'm cheap).

Mitsu23
07-19-2011, 08:56 PM
I always take snacks from home in my purse. You are all right, movie theatre popcorn is delish but not good for anyone. I usually take in something crunchy like crispers that way I am still getting a treat.

zinkemomx2
07-19-2011, 09:54 PM
We were the only ones in the theater tonight for Cars2. :)

[QUOTE=Lori Bell;3939840]When I decided to change my life, I also changed my playgrounds. I had a difficult time going to a bar without drinking so I quit going to bars. I had a hard time going to certain resturants without over eating so I quit going to them. If you are really serious about changing your life, sometimes you just have change your playmates and your playgrounds. And this is why I drink at home, lol. I can have just ONE and not be pressured to have more.

I have finally come to the realization that movie theater popcorn doesnt make me feel good. It actually makes me feel a little sick. It was really difficult the first two or three movies, now I don't miss it at all.

The kids are almost 7 and it is only their second or third time going to the movies so we went all out on their treats. They got a soda, popcorn and cotton candy that we all shared. I now remember why I quit eating movie theater popcorn. I feel like crap and I have some serious heartburn going on. Not to mention that we spent $30 between tickets and treats. A few more weeks and I could have rented the movie from Redbox for a $1. I'll have to give DH a special thanks for our treat tonight.

Lor

fight2winthis
07-27-2011, 09:00 PM
@Yoyoma Lol