Ideal Protein Diet - Alcohol?

View Full Version : Alcohol?

sunshine1986
07-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Okay, so I want some input from others on this subject. I have read in some of the threads about some who chose to cheat and did drink alcohol, but for the most part it appears when people chose to cheat, they do it with food.

Here is my question:
In the past when we go out or go to a party, I always drink beer. I do not really care for hard alcohol, but usually drink MGD 64 or Bud Select 55. Having said that, I am doing well so far, having remained OP for 2 weeks. I am now into week 3.

We are having a party at our house tomorrow for a friends birthday. I asked my coach about the alcohol thing. Of course, I was told no beer, but if I wanted a drink, it should be good quality Vodka, with Diet tonic or Diet clear soda (Sprite, 7Up or Sierra Mist). No more than 3 beverages and lots of water in between them (Not sure I could consume 3 without being a complete lush)

Anyhow, I would love to have a drink, perhaps I will hate it and say no more but if I don't I would like others opinion of what you think it may do as far as my plan this week. Will it greatly effect my numbers? Will it completely throw me out of ketosis. I have carefully planned the menu to insure the food there will have something for me, so food will truly not be an issue....

Thoughts?

Purrfect
07-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Ah how I know how you feel. the thing is, the moment you drink alcohol, your liver has to just STOP everything it's doing to handle processing the alcohol. Since the liver is what 'burns' the fat, the entire time it takes to clear the alcohol, metabolize it, you will not be fat burning. so, it sets you back.

It is true that some things like vodka and wine will not kick you out of ketosis, depending on volume I think...but often drinking leads to a slack outlook on dieting rules and it's easy to slip with food.

No matter, it's going to set you back. Rather find some way to have a drink that's on plan, special, and enjoy watching your freinds do absurd things as they get tipsy! You can have a great seat at a good show sometimes.

And, it's not forever. Just while you are on the first three phases.

kellyg53
07-15-2011, 11:06 PM
I have two words for you.... Club Soda...well more than two words - with a serious twist of lime and topped with course sea salt - It's kind of like a margarita; kind of, if you use your imagination. That is how I survived the 4th of July festivities around our house.

I suspect the worse part about having a drink or two or three is that it would sure be easy to then slip into having some chips and salsa or some other goodie that you've been successfully avoiding.

But, each to their own. Good luck with your decision.

sunshine1986
07-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the insight! Purchased the good quality Vodka, but really don't want to get off plan or have a set back to slow down what progress I have made.... thinking club soda may be a better option and will probably feel better about my decision in the AM.
Thanks again! :)

kellyg53
07-16-2011, 12:06 AM
thinking club soda may be a better option and will probably feel better about my decision in the AM.

Ha! you will definitely feel better in the AM - I know I did.

wuv2bloved
07-16-2011, 01:18 AM
Try one of these, I made the Mojoto tonight and it was yummy! No one would know the difference but you! My best friend is a bartender and when I go hang out with her I either have my water with lemon or I'll get her to make me one of these:

Mojito Cocktail:
1 cup of Perrier
1 cup of Tap water
Sprinkle splenda to taste
3-4 leafs of fresh mint
1 splash of Mint Extract
3 splash of Rhum Extract
Lemon juice

Mix all this together with ice. This really taste like a mojito!

2 splash of banana extract
1 splash of coconut extract
1 splash of rhum extract
2-3 lemon slice
1 cup Perrier
1 cup tap water (well you can only put Perrier if you want)

Mix all this together with crushed ice, add splenda if you want, and it taste like Bahamas!!

crash302
07-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi,

I went camping last week end and everyone was drinking. I just drank straight rye\whiskey with ice. I didn't drink too much but the whole camping trip didn't help with weight loss. I lost less then 1 pound that week. Others did a lot of the cooking and didn't prepare the food well. The hardest part with drinking is avoiding the chips and etc.

Ishbel
07-16-2011, 10:11 AM
I cheated with alcohol...with one alive cooler (80 calories 0 carbs 0 sugar) one night and vvodka with club soda and a wedge of lime the next night. I stalled but be wise it was a conscious decision to drink those dry ms I was willing to accept the consequences. I only lost .2 but I also don't have any future plans to cheat :)

Pxlkitty4
07-16-2011, 10:40 AM
When I was on vacation last month, I swapped between Phase 1 and Phase 2 days. I had 1/2 glass of wine on 3 evenings... when I did that, I only had half of my evening snack. On the days that I had been quite active (think 3-yr old, newly potty trained, walking from the beach to the potty about 10-15 times each day), I went ahead and had my whole evening snack.

I still lost 2lbs that week...

Recently, I had a party to celebrate the 10th anniversary of my dissertation defense. I had 1/2 glass NICE champagne.

Note: I have been on the program for more than 4 months. I did not stray even ONCE until I had done the program for a solid 3 1/2 months.

My suggestion would be to NOT drink beer. It has more carbs than wine/champagne, and some people think that the maltose in beer makes it more glycemic than other carbs.

Since you have only been on the program for 3 weeks, I would suggest sticking with the protocol 100%. Mix up an IP drink and have that with crushed ice... OR...

Try a faux-ito (fake mojito) instead... Here is the recipe.

1 packet stevia
1/2 tsp rum extract
6 mint leaves
12 oz club soda
Juice of one lime
Ice

Mix 1 packet stevia, 1/2 tsp rum extract, and 6 mint leaves with the base of a spoon in a large glass. Add ice, then club soda. Sweetener may need to be adjusted to taste.

brandam6
07-16-2011, 11:00 AM
I am a beer gal too. I went more than 3 months with no alcohol at all when I started IP. Pre-IP I could really put them away when I wanted to. I rarely ever drank the hard stuff before IP.

Keep in mind, that on such a low calorie diet, your tolerance for alcohol is very low. I drank some vodka one night, I felt very sick later that night, and the whole next day.

If you can avoid the alcohol, it is worth it. But if you feel you must have it, don't have too much. Hangovers suck.

Bellamack
07-16-2011, 11:25 AM
2 WEEKS IN and you want to CHEAT? This is not looking good! Skip the alcohol and drink Propel, that's what I did all last weekend at the lake and I will this weekend, don't care that others are having alcohol. If you were further intot the program, Maybe? but 2 weeks, NO

LGW
07-16-2011, 11:25 AM
do a google search for low-carb alcoholic drinks...my new favorite is rum and diet coke....it's one that when you go out you don't have to remember a lot of ingredients
LGW

ItsAboutTime
07-16-2011, 11:28 AM
I've had to say no plenty of times and I'm only on week 4. My husband plays in a band and while the others are drinking I order water with ice and added mio. Nobody knows I'm not drinking and I feel wonderful the next day. I did hear you can add vodka to the shakes and I know a few people who like it with the pink lemonade but I'm not going to chance it. It may help that I'm not much of a drinker and a 6 pack of anything can last me months at a time. It's just like anything else though and a cheat is a cheat.

disgal
07-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Had sugar free jello shots yesterday.....BAD GIRL!!!! BUT.....it could have been worse! What I really wanted was a White Russian.....but I know from a previous "cheat"....they will do me in!! Scale is down 1/2 lb this morning from yesterday.....but we'll see what tomorrow brings!! LOL!!! If nothing else, a cheat teaches you to "get back on that horse". And when we're in maintenance and we have that "one cheat day", then we will be going right back on plan to be sure our weight doesn't go upwards. Now I ask you, on what other diet do you LEARN from your cheats??? This is a first for me!! LOL!! ;)

I have been strong for most of this journey, but wow the summer is tough....beautiful nights, fire pits, etc. I just keep telling myself STAY STRONG!! THIS BODY FEELS SOOOOO GOOD!!! So if I want to be down more weight by Monday's WI, then I had better stick with it!! :D

Best wishes to you all!!!

Dan is Boring
07-16-2011, 03:10 PM
This has been my hardest aspect of IP.... I have only drank once in the past 2-3 months, and it was 2 frosty barley pops. My only cheat I have done on this diet :(

wuv2bloved
07-16-2011, 03:48 PM
This has been my hardest aspect of IP.... I have only drank once in the past 2-3 months, and it was 2 frosty barley pops. My only cheat I have done on this diet :(

Great job if that was your ONLY cheat since you have started IP. You have 59lbs gone that is awesome as well. Keep up the great work!

sunshine1986
07-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Since I started this thread, I thought I better follow up with what happened.
First, let me say it was not me wanting to cheat, simply the ida of having a drink with everyone sounded good. Food has not been an issue for me at all. I have been around others drinking in the last two weeks, also not an issue.

Alcohol was a topic my coach covered with me at my 2nd weigh in, I pressed the issue when she brought it up for further clarification. I came to the boards because I wanted others insight as I knew we were having guests and I wanted to see what others take was on it.

I purchased the good Vodka and the Diet Sierra Mist, both of which as of today remain unopened. The vodka in the freezer and the Diet Sierra Mist in the pantry.

While others ate BBQ pulled pork, potato salad, pasta salad, taco dip & chips, I ate a Buffalo steak and a giant salad loaded with veges. When I really felt I was missing the crunching later, I ate a dill pickle. And as the night progressed and I felt a bit hungry, I ate some cold shrimp (because my buffalo steak was only 5.3 oz). All the time I carried a glass of ice water with me.

The night was success. Everyone had fun, I had fun and I woke up this afternoon (slept late since I had to work tonight) extremely proud of myself.

Shanelle
07-18-2011, 09:48 AM
That's great Sunshine! Good for you:)

Pauley
07-18-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm with you on the booze thing... I miss it and I'd really like to have some! Crystal Light makes a margarita flavor and my friend made some up for me at her 4th of July party and served to me in a fancy glass. It wasn't the same, but I sure appreciated her effort!

Summer has been hard (and I'm only in week 4) with all the parties, road trips, camping and vacations. I think if we can all make it through this, we can do anything!

Moonkakaladda
07-21-2011, 12:11 AM
I often wondered about what drinks that would have the least amount of impact on my progress. I too was surprised and proud of myself that I could enjoy an evening out without a drink and actually drinking water while others were indulging. With numerous offers of friends wanting to buy me a drink, I gladly took their offer but for bottled water. I danced the night away so a double bonus of no alcohol and a "workout". Keeping commited to the program in the short term is well worth it and after Phase 3 I know that I can have a drink or two but for now I am adjusting to a new lifestyle for a better future.

Backto20
08-08-2011, 03:09 AM
Good Vodka (Check the labels or read up on each specific on the internet; 0 carbs;0fat;0 sugar), carbonated ware (NO TONIC WATER) and splash of real lime juice to taste... 1-2 oz in moderation works perfect

wuv2bloved
08-09-2011, 03:28 PM
bump

AuburnKate
08-09-2011, 03:48 PM
My coach says if you are going to drink at an event, have vodka and diet sprite.

YES, it may slow your weight loss down that week but it wont throw you out of ketosis. diet sprite (or diet coke) is zero carbs zero calories (although its not good to drink soda on a regular basis) vodka is 70 calories.

I did IP in the fall and I drank vodka diet sprites at a few football games (never more than 2 due to calories) and limited my calorie intake and I still lost around the same.

Some people here will act like its awful if you aren't 100 percent on plan...but truth is, there are occasions where you may want a drink -- a family wedding, a holiday, etc. And the way I see it is - if you drink that one weekend and lose 1.5 pounds instead of 2, is it the end of the world? No.

Just be wise about what you drink -- beer has more carbs than wine which has more carbs than liquor. liquor (vodka) is your best bet.

wuv2bloved
08-09-2011, 03:51 PM
My coach says if you are going to drink at an event, have vodka and diet sprite.

YES, it may slow your weight loss down that week but it wont throw you out of ketosis. diet sprite (or diet coke) is zero carbs zero calories (although its not good to drink soda on a regular basis) vodka is 70 calories.

I did IP in the fall and I drank vodka diet sprites at a few football games (never more than 2 due to calories) and limited my calorie intake and I still lost around the same.

Some people here will act like its awful if you aren't 100 percent on plan...but truth is, there are occasions where you may want a drink -- a family wedding, a holiday, etc. And the way I see it is - if you drink that one weekend and lose 1.5 pounds instead of 2, is it the end of the world? No.

Just be wise about what you drink -- beer has more carbs than wine which has more carbs than liquor. liquor (vodka) is your best bet.

This is why I bumped the threads for her to read. I am one of the ones who stay 100% OP and I know everyone has reasons behind going off program, everyone has their own opinions that is why we are all different. :)

AuburnKate
08-09-2011, 03:55 PM
What does bump a thread mean? I keep seeing the word bump but i dont know.

I certainly don't suggest cheating. I am 100 percent almost every day, but I have been in a couple situations where I had a drink. I don't know if I will do the same this time around since I am back on the diet but I think if you are going to be in a situation where you "cheat", you can do it wisely in a way that barely affects you or you can do it in a more damaging way!

Now, I am going to try to see how to get to bumped threads!

wuv2bloved
08-09-2011, 04:16 PM
What does bump a thread mean? I keep seeing the word bump but i dont know.

I certainly don't suggest cheating. I am 100 percent almost every day, but I have been in a couple situations where I had a drink. I don't know if I will do the same this time around since I am back on the diet but I think if you are going to be in a situation where you "cheat", you can do it wisely in a way that barely affects you or you can do it in a more damaging way!

Now, I am going to try to see how to get to bumped threads!

LOL....what does bump a thread mean? when you go back through some of the older threads and reply with a BUMP it brings that thread back into the new threads

amaliayosa
08-18-2011, 10:06 AM
I drank 2 1/2 glasses of wine last night and am on week 4. Have company in and they popped open a bottle last night. Let me tell you I was BUZZED! My tolerance is definitely low right now! would have been fine with one. I jumped right back OP this morning and drinking lots of water. I am actually down a pound this morning. Food wise I stayed on plan. Feeling the room spinning last night was nough to keep me from going there again for a while!

wuv2bloved
01-23-2012, 01:37 PM
here is another one for you Meant2b!

wuv2bloved
02-09-2012, 02:36 PM
bump for 100poundfreeway

100poundfreeway
02-09-2012, 05:01 PM
bump for 100poundfreeway

Thanks Wuv, I see some do and some don't :) this was great info and I guess I could have just searched the treads myself! I just knew this had to be a topic others faced!!!

Wuv, You are such a great helper and great inspiration! Thanks your the best!!!

wuv2bloved
02-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Thanks Wuv, I see some do and some don't :) this was great info and I guess I could have just searched the treads myself! I just knew this had to be a topic others faced!!!

Wuv, You are such a great helper and great inspiration! Thanks your the best!!!

You are welcome, its a personal choice of if you wanna stay OP or not. There are a couple of more threads out there but this one was the newest that is why I bumped it for you :)

kelly1962
02-09-2012, 05:23 PM
From my past experience, drinking and going off OP does indeed slow you down. I was having wine on the weekends in December, and i was losing 1 to 2 lbs per week. Since i have recommitted in Janaury, my weight loss has averaged about 3 to 4 lbs per week. The choice is always yours of course, but i when you have been doing this as long as some of us, or at least me, i curse myself because i could be down another 10 lbs or so if i hadnt done that. Live and learn...

erin11585
06-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Has anyone had or talked to their coach about the Firefly Skinny Tea Vodka?
its 72 calories, sugar-free, 0 carbs, 0 fat and 0 protein. Wondering if this would be OK to have on occasion on IP ?

http://fireflyvodka.com/our-products/product/skinny-tea-vodka

CkM
06-12-2012, 12:20 PM
I purchased Skinny Firefly ice tea vodka the other day. I have a few party's coming up and since I haven't drank since I started I thought I would keep it on hand in case I wanted an adult beverage so that I wouldn't grab a beer.

http://www.moultrienews.com/news/Skinny--Yet-Oh-So-Sweet-Introducing-Firefly-Skinny-Tea2010-12-22T05-40-00

CkM
06-12-2012, 12:20 PM
I purchased Skinny Firefly ice tea vodka the other day. I have a few party's coming up and since I haven't drank since I started I thought I would keep it on hand in case I wanted an adult beverage so that I wouldn't grab a beer. I would just mix about a half a shot of vodka in a big glass of water and ice.

http://www.moultrienews.com/news/Skinny--Yet-Oh-So-Sweet-Introducing-Firefly-Skinny-Tea2010-12-22T05-40-00

GrandmaKiss
06-12-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm a tea-totaler now and have been for 30 years. But back when I used to drink a couple of beers was all it took for the bad decisions to set in (usually involving men, I was a skinny co-ed then).

One of the risks of drinking on program is that the "relaxation" you get from drinking often leads to relaxation of the things you were certain of before the party.

Tread carefully.

:belly: Kristina

explore
06-12-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm staying 100% OP- 5 weeks in. I'm just wondering what phase are you allowed to have a drink (I'm assuming phase 4)? I would love to hear how you follow up your diet after having a drink- is this considered a cheat day?
I'm just dreaming of my first glass of wine, and I want to be fully prepared for when that day comes.

chremme
07-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Did anyone ever respond to this? I'm very curious too, as I haven't cheated at all so far. Today I started Phase 2 and my birthday is in about two weeks. Really hoping to having some beverages with friends on that day!

Help???

:carrot::carrot::carrot:

I'm staying 100% OP- 5 weeks in. I'm just wondering what phase are you allowed to have a drink (I'm assuming phase 4)? I would love to hear how you follow up your diet after having a drink- is this considered a cheat day?
I'm just dreaming of my first glass of wine, and I want to be fully prepared for when that day comes.

erin11585
07-24-2012, 09:18 PM
I am back on phase 1 (I did IP last year). I had a wedding to go to last weekend and spoke to my coach about it.....I drank the Firefly Skinny Tea Vodka with club soda. He said not to have restricted items the day before, that day or day after. I think I gained 2 lbs but I'm sure it will go down fast. And I did drink a lot (but at least I'm honest!).

I also had 2 glasses of skinnygirl margarita that day too. (Man I'm bad haha). But still, if you dont cheat with extra food and snacks during your binge...you have better control

usmcvet
07-25-2012, 11:11 AM
I've never been much of a drinker. I miss a COLD BEER but it's worth it. It was toughest at a wedding reception. I was buying wine for my wife and a round or two of beers for friends and of course the bride and groom. Someone said ahh just have one, I didn't. I said to my wife man I really want a beer. She said I'm sorry honey. I looked at her and smiled and said it's okay. The beer is nothing to the improved sex life the weight loss has given us. We both giggled at that.

It's obviously your decision but I have chosen to skip it. It has been four months and I miss it less now.

sweetsloan
07-25-2012, 12:49 PM
You all are missing the point.....The liver can make ketones out of alcohol, so technically, when you drink you'll continue to produce ketones and so will remain in ketosis. The problem is ... alcohol converts more easily to ketones than fatty acids, so your liver will use the alchol first, in preference to burning the fat. Thus, when you drink, basically your FAT burning is put on hold until all the alcohol is out of your system. This rapid breakdown of alcohol into ketones and acetaldehyde (the intoxicating by-product) ... tends to put low carbers at risk for quicker intoxication ... especially if no other food is consumed to slow absorption.

Although, you will stay in ketosis (not much of a set back) you are not buring fat as your fuel source, hence it can "slow down weightloss"

I hope this helps for all of you that like to know how things work, like it do!!