Weight Loss Support - How many lbs. can I lose before me/other people start noticing!!!!!

KittyKat1465
07-14-2011, 08:14 PM
So I have lost 23lbs and no one can even tell!!!!! It is kind of disheartening that all my hard work is unnoticed. I can't even really tell a difference. So I am wondering how much weight the rest of you had to lose before anyone noticed.

juliana77
07-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Around 30 pounds for me, and that seems to be a common number around here. Now at 42, I get comments almost every day (I work in a large office).

Yesterday, someone said "you look amazing!" and I pretended I couldn't hear her over the copier so she'd say it again :D

It will be soon, I promise!!

fitmom
07-14-2011, 08:28 PM
First off, congrats on the loss of 23 lbs. Way to go!! *high-five* I think the more you have to lose, it may take a bit longer. I'm a featherweight but I noticed within the second week that my clothes were looser and by the end of week four, it was pretty visible. Everyone's different.

However, my hubby is trying to lose weight. He needs to shed a good forty pounds. He's lost 10 so far and no one can tell but me and the kids. He's getting frustrated too. Although some people have said he looks more rested, lol.

Keep going! :)

heathermichigan
07-14-2011, 08:32 PM
For me, it just kind of happened one day. I'm tall, so weight loss/gain takes longer to show on me, so I think it took a solid 30-35 pounds before I noticed much of a difference. But other people (who I don't see often) started noticing around 30 pounds, too. :) Work people I see every day, more like 50.
Keep it up!!!

alaskanlaughter
07-14-2011, 08:33 PM
ive lost 21 pounds and, even with fitted clothes, no one has noticed besides DH...however he notices and appreciates it and compliments me on it enough to make up for everyone else :) but still, it's like "reallyyy??" NO ONE has noticed?? *sigh*

chickadee32
07-14-2011, 09:01 PM
I had a lot to lose, so it took about 60 lbs before anyone noticed (or at least before anyone who didn't already know that I was trying to lose weight said anything). Since then the comments and questions have come regularly.

At 23 lbs lost I wasn't able to see much of a difference in myself either. I could definitely see the differences in my appearance by 45-50 lbs lost, and so could my husband, but long before that I could feel the difference and that made it all worth it.

cinthia
07-15-2011, 12:54 AM
My son said I look alittle smaller all over and I have lost 18. I think people don't want to comment sometimes, because they aren't sure, ie asking someone who has put on weight when the baby is due!

Riddy
07-15-2011, 01:16 AM
It took me about 25 pounds before someone at work asked me if I'd lost weight. I think it's really hard for people who see you every day to notice the gradual change.

I recently saw some friends who I hadn't seen since I started dieting, and they went NUTS when they saw me. :D

Keep up the good work, and try on your "big" clothes to remind yourself how far you've come! :hug::hug::hug:

Riddy
07-15-2011, 01:18 AM
On the bright side, the people who don't notice our weight loss yet are probably the same people who didn't notice us gaining weight, either. :o

alaskanlaughter
07-15-2011, 01:29 AM
On the bright side, the people who don't notice our weight loss yet are probably the same people who didn't notice us gaining weight, either. :o

lol i like how you think!

ghost
07-15-2011, 02:01 AM
The first time around it took about twenty pounds for people to notice, hopefully this time, with weights and resistance training I'll tone up quicker and see a difference sooner.

xxkaleidoscopic
07-15-2011, 05:35 AM
I agree that it's hard to see gradual change. If you saw someone you hadn't seen in a long time, they might notice it more. Also, the more you have to lose, the harder it is to tell that you've already lost. But I think you're close to seeing a real difference, and you certainly must feel better, so don't get discouraged! Keep it up!

lin43
07-15-2011, 06:51 AM
I know what you mean. I've only been back on track for 6-7 weeks, and I don't weigh myself, but I'd estimate I've lost close to 10 lbs. (by the fit of my clothes). I'm a teacher, so I'm off for the summer, but I had to go into school for a meeting yesterday, and I was so hoping that someone would notice, but no one did. This morning, though, I was walking my dogs and this other morning walker whom I always stop to chat with said, "You've lost weight." I could have kissed him!

zoodoo613
07-15-2011, 06:57 AM
I'm 25 lbs down, and I just recently got a comment. I agree that the farther you have from your goal, the less noticable initial weight loss is. It might be better to think of it as a percentage, in which case someone noticed at about 10% loss.

I have trouble seeing the difference at all, but I noticed my clothes getting looser much sooner. I'm at the point where most of the pants I was wearing are now unwearable.

envelope
07-15-2011, 08:40 AM
It sure seemed like it took quite a while for anyone to notice my weight loss, then all of a sudden EVERYONE noticed.

BeachBreeze2010
07-15-2011, 09:22 AM
I think they notice at less weight than you think, but they don't say anything because they aren't sure. After a while, it becomes obvious and then they start saying things.

There is a sticky somewhere on this forum about the paper towel concept. You might search for it and read it. It's a good post that explains this really well.

Congratulations on your weight loss!! :)

Wannabehealthy
07-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Yesterday, someone said "you look amazing!" and I pretended I couldn't hear her over the copier so she'd say it again :D

Oh, I just love this!! LOL

Carol

Wannabehealthy
07-15-2011, 09:56 AM
So I have lost 23lbs and no one can even tell!!!!! It is kind of disheartening that all my hard work is unnoticed. I can't even really tell a difference. So I am wondering how much weight the rest of you had to lose before anyone noticed.

I have lost 35 lbs, but it's been over 2-1/2 years, so very gradual. No one has actually commented, but my clothes fit differently and I can see it, especially in my face. My daughter recently looked at my drivers license picture from 3 years ago and was shocked. Also, I had to show my drivers license to apply for credit and the clerk exclaimed "This is NOT you!!" I'm waiting for someone to ask me if I've been sick. That will definately mean they noticed!

Carol

RJ 1980
07-15-2011, 10:03 AM
It took my family about 20 pounds to start noticing.... my husbands family and my friends have not mentioned it, but I'm wondering if they just feel weird mentioning weight since they also watched me gain about 75 pounds!!! And I've never talked about it either.

Esofia
07-15-2011, 10:11 AM
I wonder if people are less likely to comment the more overweight you are to begin with, due to the social taboo about looking at fat people, let alone talking about it?

I'm getting to the 10% mark, but I see practically no one so I can't really judge. One of my support workers keeps on commenting enthusiastically, but then I talk to her about dieting (she's an on-off crash dieter herself and says I'm inspiring her), so she knows it's OK to comment. She also sees me about once a week, which is a good amount of time for seeing a difference. I think one of my other support workers has said something like, "You're looking good on it," when I mention that the diet is going well.

I didn't buy a scale for the first month, I wanted to wait until I was sure that I was actually losing weight (fit of clothes etc.) before risking that particular horror. About three weeks in, I had the following conversation with my partner.

Me: Can I ask you a really difficult question? One that all men hate?
Him [completely bewildered, thinking frantically]: Er...er...it's not in yet?
Me: Darling, if you can't tell that we're not having sex right now [we were several feet apart and fully clothed], then I fear for you. No. You know how I've been on this diet...
Him: Oh. THAT question. Noooooooooo! Save me! [scurries under the duvet and proceeds to burrow about in a very daft way]

Then we stopped laughing and he said honestly that no, he couldn't see a difference just yet. I was at the point where I was starting to see a difference, but wasn't quite sure. So I left it a bit longer and then got the scale.

He occasionally says supportive things like, "You're very slinky and getting increasingly slinkier," but you can tell he's being careful not to say anything potentially wrong, bless him. No one else has commented.

Wannabehealthy
07-15-2011, 10:13 AM
I think they notice at less weight than you think, but they don't say anything because they aren't sure. After a while, it becomes obvious and then they start saying things.

There is a sticky somewhere on this forum about the paper towel concept. You might search for it and read it. It's a good post that explains this really well.

Congratulations on your weight loss!! :)

Actually, I think it is considered to be in poor taste to comment on someone's weight. They might notice, but just feel that by mentioning that they notice that you've lost weight they are also saying that they noticed that you were overweight before. Often I will say "You look very nice." without mentioning weight, depending on the person.

Carol

carter
07-15-2011, 10:33 AM
I had to lose about 50 pounds before people started commenting. Note: I say before people started commenting, not before people started noticing - because I have no idea when people started noticing. Folks are (quite understandably) reluctant to make comments on the weight or appearance of others. So just because no one has said anything to you about it doesn't mean they aren't noticing it.

At any rate, as I said, it took about 50 pounds before the comments started trickling in. When I got to 70 pounds or so gone, it was as though a switch flipped - the comments started coming much more frequently.

At any rate, this is nothing to feel "disheartened" about. You know you've lost the weight. You can see it and feel it. So who cares if other people are babbling at you about it or not? Look around this board to see many comments about how uncomfortable it can get when people start asking you about your weight loss - you might feel lucky that no one's been doing that to you! And if you keep at it - which I know you will - your transformation will continue and people will start commenting.

Search the site for "Paper Towel Theory" to find discussion of a very interesting metaphor that will help you understand why your weight loss is more noticeable later in the process than it is earlier in the process.

Laureedee
07-15-2011, 11:47 AM
I agree with everyone who says a lot of people probably notice, but don't want to say anything, and that for those who see you everyday, it'll take longer to even notice since it's a slowish process. Especially if you're a very even loser (as in, you lose fat evenly all over your body), then it takes even longer. I was 240 at my heaviest and it took a good 40lbs before anybody said anything. This time I started considerable lighter at just over 200 and it STILL took about 20lbs before people truly noticed.

And as far as noticing for yourself, I still sometimes see the 200+ me in the mirror, so I can't say much for that.