Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:54 AM   #1  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Default Afraid to Climb Back in the Saddle

So... story time! =P

I have never been a particularly athletic person, and have always struggled with working out. However, back in January, I joined my university's track and field team, as a shot-put and discus thrower. We're D3, and our team is tiny. They also had no female throwers, so they basically just let me walk on and offered to train me! This was a dream come true for me, because I had always wanted to do a sport, but by the time you're twenty, it's often a little late to get in on it, a the college level. Fortunately, throwing is an individual sport, so I wouldn't be hurting a team with my lack of athleticism. =P It was also the most supportive athletic environment I've ever been in (as opposed to middle school gym classes... *shudder*).

Unfortunately, by March, I had sustained a serious back injury. After weeks of drugs and not knowing what it was, turns out, it was a herniated disc in my lower back. I was practically bed-ridden, often high on a pain-killing cocktail, and would have failed the semester, if not for some very kind professors.

Since then, I have gotten physical therapy and improved a lot. But I'm terrified. I'm afraid that anything I do will throw me back into excruciating pain. I made the mistake of carrying around a four-year-old girl, and that was a royal pain the next day. I'm afraid to run or work or do anything! My boyfriend, who plays two sports and has learned a lot in the athletic field, says it's a very common thing for people in my situation.

I'll have to more or less get over most of it by the time I return to school in late August (time to go back to work and go to classes!), but I'm anxious.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to lose weight mostly through diet (I have at-home exercises I need to work on... I'm so lazy... -___-), and so far, I've been having some success. Has anyone else had a back injury or similar energy and lost weight while recovering? Maybe someone can share some tips on getting back in the saddle?
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 117/88/77 (Kgs)

Height: 5'8''

i've never had a back injury, and i dont know much about it how but I was wondering have you tried physiotherapy or something to aid in full recovery? I hope you can completely heal. But in the mean time if you can take long walks it really works in addition to eating healthy. Exercise doesnt have to be strenous to get results but you might have to invest more time. I wish you all the best.
fight2winthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #3  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Thank you! And yes, I did get physical therapy and what not. It just takes many months to heal fully, so... I guess I'm not fully sure when I'm good to go?
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/192/140

Height: 5' 6"

The suggestion of walking is a good one, as long as your doctor agrees.

I have bad knees, with one being a daily nagging problem. I have to break up my walking - morning, lunchtime and evening. It still adds up. Also, even with walking, you can do interval training and walk at a very fast pace for portions of your walking session. There is a benefit in breaking up your exercise.

If your back bothers you during a particular walking session, just cut it short and try later or another day. If need be, try one of the walking DVD's or one of the dancing DVD's - anything to get you moving without damaging your back.

You can do it!
munchey is offline   Reply With Quote