PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #1  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Default Weight loss and hormones?

I really can't figure this out. For a few days I have been weird having highs and lows I will be really happy then be really sad and depressed. I want to chock it up to hormones since it is recent and I know that as I lose weight my hormones will start to change and even out. I just don't know what to do right now. My music of choice has been nickelback and creed. Particularly two creed songs. I know why with open arms appeals to me so. I want more than anything to be a mom. I want that song to be sung and dedicated to me or at least for it to mean something to some guy about me. My baby syndrome is just getting worse since J found out she is pregnant. It is just so unfair. The other I find relates to me and my friends. I feel like My friends are slowly drifting away from me. The people I once spent hours and hours talking to and joking with now aren't around as much, we don't talk as much I feel myself slipping from reality, my friends are my fire, my lifeline. Without them...I am nothing. Completely and utterly nothing. I won't let this derail my weight loss journey not one iota. I need to lose this weight for my health, for me, for my future kids...so I can get pregnant. I just can't help but feel n unbelievable sadness all I want to do sometimes is break down and cry. I have not been an emotional person much and I have noticed that ever since I have started losing weight it has been an emotional rollercoster for me ups and downs, I am more susceptible to emotions and to crying wheres before I would go years without shedding a tear. I just can't seem to go a day without this sadness lately. I miss my friends so much. They mean so much to me I just wish I didn't feel so lost. Anyone else been extremely emotional on their weight loss journey? Is it the hormones due to pcos? Or could I just be having a "bi polar" spell without being bi polar?
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I don't think you're bipolar, although only a mental health professional can really diagnose you.

But it sounds like you're going through a quarter life crisis. It happens. And yes, losing weight can affect your hormones and send you on wacky highs and lows, but you're not the only one that's gone through this.

If it is a the "quarter life" crisis, I know tons of people who went through the same thing, including myself. Less and less now that I'm in my mid 30s, so I promise you it gets better.

And in terms of it being your wacky hormones, it can be the case, and those do get better as your body gets healthier.

But, if there is any consolation, I've gone through the same things in my own life, worrying that my friends were not as close as they used to be, that I was losing people I didn't want to lose, that I was not as advanced in my career as I wanted to be, that I wasn't living up to my potential, that I would be alone for the rest of my life and all those other thoughts that are probably going through your mind.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #3  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

One thing I've heard on this board that made a lot of sense to me was that especially if you used to be an emotion eater and you're are now working to break that it's hard to find another outlet for extreme emotions. In the past you might have eaten to prevent yourself to really feel the highs and lows of life but now instead of doing that you're really feeling them. It really struck a chord with me.

Obviously, nobody can diagnose you as bipolar or not over the internet. If you feel this is something that you can't handle on your own then I suggest you try to see a counselor or therapist.

But like Rana said, many people have also gone through a quarter life crisis and worried about these things. I know I really want to have a second child and we've had a lot of ups and downs with respect to that too. It's hard waiting and it's hard to know what's going to happen just around the bend.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #4  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

I don' think I m bi polar (not impossible, bi polar is in my family, just don't think that's it, I know the signs of bi polar) I think I just have bipolar moments if that makes sense. Maybe it is a quarter life crisis. Some people call it baby blues some cal it career crash. I just needed to know I am not alone I'm not going crazy. Thanks all.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 236/198/130

Hi there,
I'm new to the PCOS board here but I really wanted to respond to you. I'm 37 and as I read your post I could feel everything you expressed because I was in the same boat at your age. The only difference is that you're doing something about your health in your early 20s, and I waited until, well now.

In Chinese the symbol for crisis is the same as opportunity. At your age is when a lot of us start losing those friends we grew up with. For some of us it's harder than others. If you're feeling sad, it's harder to move forward, where as your friends may not be having the emotional difficulties you're having, so they are able to move ahead in their lives with no difficulties. It's hard to feel like the one that's being "left". But what this "crisis" means is that it's your opportunity to change your life.

So, you have lots of changes, and when they're all together they're hard!!!!
I agree with Rana's quarter life crisis theory. It's all perspective. What I hear/read is a young woman who's shedding the old, and here's your chance to choose and grab this new part of your life. Have you ever moved out of a house or apartment? It's a pain, packing up what you want to take, having to discard things that you've had for very long, clean, donate to the goodwill, etc. Even if you're super excited about the new place, it's tough to move out of the old one. And when you get to the new place, it's exciting, but it's hard to know where to start to decorate, it's trial and error as you set up.
You're cleaning house, so to speak, and it can be a difficult and emotional process, so be kind to yourself.

You are going to gain new friends, and friends that are suited for who you are right now and who you are becoming. And you're old friends aren't lost either, but relationships do and will change.

So, sorry for the long reply, and as for your question, it very well may be hormonal, and it may be that life is hard on you right now. Look for support and if it gets really bad, there's no shame looking into counseling just to sort some feelings out. Hang in there!
redbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I was going to ask the same thing -- how old are you?

Because while I'm 35 now, you sound a lot like me at 25 ish when I got the PCOS dx and I was grieving. I'd always wanted to be a Mom and I felt robbed. Like it was one thing for me to choose not to have children, and it was another thing not to even get to make the choice!

(And I had my daughter at 28, so don't get TOO stuck there. Grieve, but know PCOS dx is not the end of the world. Never lose hope!)

I was also changing from college/gf/getting married/apartment to grad/wife/work/house place and its disorienting feelings. My school friends were doing their own shifts and it took me a while to make new friends.

I have a hard time with the PCOS emotional heebie jeebies. I always have stress/anxiety prone vibes and I can tell when I've been fretting even underneath my own awareness because my neck eczema flares up. It's ugly but it's like a warning sign thermometer for my stress. Nothing or just barely noticeable -- excellent! Starting to get scaly? Uh oh... find the stress cause! Angry and red -- too late! Beep! Beep! Beep!

While def better now than back then, my other emotions flare up easily. I'm logical so I don't like being at the mercy of my emotions. For now I view them like weather -- just let it pass and run its course. Then I can get back to the regularly scheduled program that is me. I used to get really frustrated and angry/stress about not being in control of my own emotions and there would go the eczema. I've learned to ride it rather than fight the waves. I also learned to chart against my cycles so I knew when bad times were for certain things.

But I did find it bizarre -- watching cat food commercial and bursting into tears going "Awwww... such a cute kitty!" followed right afterward with "Dang, what's with me? I don't even like cats -- I'm allergic!" or "Wheee! I love life so much! Rainbows make me cry they are so lovely!" followed by "Dude, what's with me? Yeah, life is grand but seriously? RAINBOWS?"

Being on BCP helps me feel more stable on that front but I remember thinking I must be going crazy. I wasn't -- I was just dealing with a lot, including the PCOS dx.

It helps to remember when I get this way now (and it does lessen) -- LOOK! Whatever it is right now, will pass. It's just today's article in the newspaper but the name of the paper is still ASTROPHE! I'm still me! And whatever this stupid crying jag is about will be on the front page for a bit and then it will shuffle on out.

Earlier this year my Endoc told me that PCOS could start to kick out some psychiatric symptoms and I just looked at her like "Lady, tell me something i don't ALREADY know? And BTW, you doc people could have told me this earlier so I wouldn't have wasted all that time wondering if I was crazy."

But doc have to learn too.

I'd just got done picking a a major fight with my DH and being all gloomy/sad/divorce! and it turned out my meds were way off for thyropid and I was way deficient on b12 and D and magnesium. Go fig!

I apologized to him for behaving like a nut but I told him as I get older and get more into this chronic condition, he has to learn to tell when I'm on the wacky train and go "Hon, you are on they wacky train. Make a lab appt!" because I'm too stuck on the train to see it myself yet.

BTW -- you might check out soulcysters area for mental related stuff to PCOS too.

http://www.soulcysters.net/forumdisp...nxiety-Bipolar

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-15-2011 at 12:54 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #7  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

Thanks all! Glad to know I am not alone. I am 21 and it seems like I go through a huge revamp/depressing/eworking myself/ am I who I want to be every year, except I don't think I went through that this year. Is this it? I don't know. I usually have a time where I go over old memories and think "could I have handled that differently? How can I learn from that situation and make it better?" I have regrets but yea...I've just never had this emotional rollercoaster before so it freaked the **** outta me. I know that pcos is linked to mental issues (doesnt help mental issues run in my family too, ptsd, ocd, bipolar and depression) Just glad to know I am not going crazy....yet!