Weight Loss Support - Don't Ya Love Old Navy Sizing :P

View Full Version : Don't Ya Love Old Navy Sizing :P

heathermichigan
07-13-2011, 07:39 PM
I wear about a 16 right now. I went to Old Navy today to get some jeans and a skirt. The size 16 jeans were a little tight in the waist and the size 12 skirt was a little tight in the waist. Oh yes, that is NOT a misprint. How in the world can a 16 and a 12 fit the same?!?! :dizzy:
Does anyone else have a crazy sizing story to share?

fitmom
07-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Slightly different story but nevertheless I'll share, lol. Brooks Brothers sizing is a little wonky too. According to them, I'm a size zero which couldn't be further from the truth. I'm normally a 2/4 - depending on the manufacturer. I tried on a pencil skirt a few months ago and the 4 fell off me so I grabbed a 2. That was swimming on me. My hubby was even perplexed. When I put the zero on, it fit. I went to Ann Taylor and the zero wouldn't even make it past my mid-thigh so I knew it was Brooks Brothers and obviously not my true size.

I find the opposite with Old Navy. They, for me, fit true to size. And they are one of the only stores that carry a lot of smaller sizes so I'm never like searching the racks for an hour, lol.

I love the store Kohl's. Maybe you'll have better luck there. :)

dragonlady1978
07-13-2011, 07:57 PM
I always wear a size smaller in dresses and skirts than I do in jeans. It's not an issue of vanity/store sizing for me though. It's just harder for me to squeeze my blubbery gut into the jeans lol. Dresses and skirts are more forgiving, and my waist is smaller proportionately - I've got a big c-section poochy part on my lower belly still :(

alaskanlaughter
07-13-2011, 08:03 PM
i usually wear a size 8/10 in yoga pants or stretchy jeans, anything with just a little give in the fabric....i bought a pair of Just My Size capri pants a few weeks ago size 8/10...they are WAY too big for me lol...i didnt try them on at the store, just grabbed them and went...got home and realized that they are way too baggy for me, i have to roll the waist down to make it fit better so i can tuck the extra fabric under the waistband

berryblondeboys
07-13-2011, 08:49 PM
i usually wear a size 8/10 in yoga pants or stretchy jeans, anything with just a little give in the fabric....i bought a pair of Just My Size capri pants a few weeks ago size 8/10...they are WAY too big for me lol...i didnt try them on at the store, just grabbed them and went...got home and realized that they are way too baggy for me, i have to roll the waist down to make it fit better so i can tuck the extra fabric under the waistband

I'm trying to figure out HOW when you weigh 12 pounds more than me, are an inch of a half shorter than me but wear several sizes smaller than me (I'm a loose 14/very tight 12 right now). I'm pretty evenly spread for where my weight is. What's your shape and your measurements? Totally got me curious!

berryblondeboys
07-13-2011, 08:55 PM
I have a Royal Robbins skort and a skirt. The skort is a size 14 and it's probably the smallest fitting 14 I have. it's just NOW fitting perfectly when other 14s are getting loose. yet, the same brand, same season, same collection of clothes has a skirt with a very similar cut (just a bit longer and no attached under short) and I can pull the 14s off without undoing them. They are probably the largest size 14 I have. They are made out of the same material and everything (just different colors). When I hold them up to each other, the one 14 is clearly significantly smaller than the other 14. SO weird when the same company can't get the sizing right!

AriesNV
07-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Coincidentally, when I wore size 16, I went to Old Navy and I liked the fit of their jeans...for the first hour. After that they got really loose and stretched out very fast. They also didn't last very long either. I still have a pair that has a rip on each side in the back (perfect for cutting them completely into shorts, but I can't bring myself to do it. They're my fav pair of jeans!

Once I got to a 13/14, I bought jeans at Maurices and found that I probably should buy a smaller jean, because again, those jeans are really loose, as well.

Aside from jeans, a client told me they have great bras at Lane Bryant, so I went there and they said I was a 36DDD!

Victoria Secret sized me up at 36D...wtf!?

Bac0s
07-13-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm trying to figure out HOW when you weigh 12 pounds more than me, are an inch of a half shorter than me but wear several sizes smaller than me (I'm a loose 14/very tight 12 right now). I'm pretty evenly spread for where my weight is. What's your shape and your measurements? Totally got me curious!

Isn't that weird? I'm 8 inches shorter and about 5 pounds lighter than the OP, and I'm in the same size as the OP (16).

berryblondeboys
07-13-2011, 09:00 PM
I can't stand Old Navy clothing. Yes, they are cheap, but that's precisely what they are - cheap. Same with target. i bought a couple t-shirts there and after one washing they look like crap - lose their shape and everything - not worth the $12 I paid for each.

gonnadoitthistime
07-13-2011, 09:29 PM
I so agree about old navy items, disposable clothing. As far as Alaskanlaughter being above 200, but in a 9/10, I just figured she hadn't updated her ticker in a while. Yes, we are all different, sizes can fit differently, but not that much.

klm80
07-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Isn't that weird? I'm 8 inches shorter and about 5 pounds lighter than the OP, and I'm in the same size as the OP (16).

It is funny how similar yet different people are. I'm 5'8" and 245 and in 24's but a friend of mine is 5'6" and 215 and in 14's. I don't even understand that!

belmagick
07-13-2011, 09:46 PM
I also have a bra size related story. I was measuring my bra size today to see if I had shrunk. I did this a few weeks ago used an online calculator which told me I was a 32 D (which is pretty accurate based on what fits me when I'm shopping.) Today I used the same calculator and it told me I was a 36B. Now, unfortunately I know I am not a B cup because I have large breasts-always have and probably always will (although I'd love for them to be smaller.)

So I decided there must be something with the calculator so I used another one which told me I was a 48 AA!!! I'm 100% sure that I put all of my information in correctly. Next time I go underwear shopping, I'm going to be brave and be professionally measured.

berryblondeboys
07-13-2011, 09:49 PM
I so agree about old navy items, disposable clothing. As far as Alaskanlaughter being above 200, but in a 9/10, I just figured she hadn't updated her ticker in a while. Yes, we are all different, sizes can fit differently, but not that much.

No, I know alaskanlaughter from another thread and that is an accurate/current weight.

klm80
07-13-2011, 09:51 PM
I also have a bra size related story. I was measuring my bra size today to see if I had shrunk. I did this a few weeks ago used an online calculator which told me I was a 32 D (which is pretty accurate based on what fits me when I'm shopping.) Today I used the same calculator and it told me I was a 36B. Now, unfortunately I know I am not a B cup because I have large breasts-always have and probably always will (although I'd love for them to be smaller.)

So I decided there must be something with the calculator so I used another one which told me I was a 48 AA!!! I'm 100% sure that I put all of my information in correctly. Next time I go underwear shopping, I'm going to be brave and be professionally measured.

I comfortably wear a 40DDD from Lane Bryant, but have had calculators tell my everything from 36DD to 50C......I just try on what "looks" right.

zoodoo613
07-13-2011, 09:53 PM

Welcome to my world. When I first started here at 3FC, I started a thread asking what size people were. I was invariable in a bigger size than people at my height and weight. Sooooo frustrating.

AriesNV
07-13-2011, 09:56 PM
I have a "bafflement" related story pertaining to the sizes/weights/heights.

I have a friend that is skinny...small all over, but has a very defined waist, hips, bust, and butt. Overall, the "perfectly proportioned" body. She is only about 5'5, 5'6 and wears a size 9...Size 9 is the last size I remember wearing...I'm not sure what I wore in highschool because it was always just the Levis that are 32/32 (etc.)... and I was about 150ish at 5'9"...not fat by any means...so it's definitely crazy just how different shapes people are.

zoodoo613
07-13-2011, 09:58 PM
I bought some capri's at Walmart and a few weeks later went back and got the same pants, same size, just in a different color, and they were way too small. The good news is they fit me now. :D

berryblondeboys
07-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Welcome to my world. When I first started here at 3FC, I started a thread asking what size people were. I was invariable in a bigger size than people at my height and weight. Sooooo frustrating.

See, OK, that is just CRAZY. You are the lightest of the three of us... You wear a 20 (for pants). I wear a 14 and alaskanlaughter 10-15 pounds heavier wears an 8-10... I don't think i'll wear an 8 when I'm at my ideal weight!

AriesNV
07-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Wow, and I'm 5'9 and weigh 5 lbs less and I'm at a 13/14 too!

April Snow
07-13-2011, 10:12 PM
It is funny how similar yet different people are. I'm 5'8" and 245 and in 24's but a friend of mine is 5'6" and 215 and in 14's. I don't even understand that!

I'm 5'7" and 238,. I'm just starting to fit into 16s now - the ones that are more generously sized, but still, 16s (regular, not womens/plus sizes). I would not be at all surprised to be in 14s in another 25 lbs.

On the other hand, I'm still wearing plus 2X tops and I think at best, I might be in 1X at the same 25 more lbs.

It all depends how and where you carry your weight.

zoodoo613
07-13-2011, 10:33 PM
See, OK, that is just CRAZY. You are the lightest of the three of us... You wear a 20 (for pants). I wear a 14 and alaskanlaughter 10-15 pounds heavier wears an 8-10... I don't think i'll wear an 8 when I'm at my ideal weight!

I have no complaint with being in a bigger size than anyone close to my weight but taller. Height makes a HUGE difference. You and alaskanlaughter are both several inches taller than me. It's my fellow shorties in the smaller sizes that get to me :D

alaskanlaughter
07-13-2011, 10:37 PM
wow u all have been chatting while i've been busy :)

i have no idea what my measurements are....but i'm 5 foot 4 or 5 foot 5 and i'm sitting at about 209 right now... my cup size is 38C and i wear a 2X shirt mostly because of my boobs LOL! i think i'm still at a size 14 jeans but i'm not at all sure, i cant stand to wear jeans, havent worn them in years....i wear yoga pants alot, capris, athletic pants, anything not restrictive...and yes, as long as it's got a little give to the material, i wear an 8/10

here's a pic i took of myself this month just a week ago or so

berryblondeboys
07-13-2011, 10:44 PM
I have no complaint with being in a bigger size than anyone close to my weight but taller. Height makes a HUGE difference. You and alaskanlaughter are both several inches taller than me. It's my fellow shorties in the smaller sizes that get to me :D

So very true. My mom could never get that. I'm 2.5" taller than she is. Have bigger hands and feet than she has, but she never got it that I WOULD weigh more than her or SHOULD weigh more than her or wear a larger size. Made for a lot of grief!

envelope
07-13-2011, 10:44 PM

I'm 5'7" and 238,. I'm just starting to fit into 16s now - the ones that are more generously sized, but still, 16s (regular, not womens/plus sizes). I would not be at all surprised to be in 14s in another 25 lbs.

On the other hand, I'm still wearing plus 2X tops and I think at best, I might be in 1X at the same 25 more lbs.

It all depends how and where you carry your weight.

I am 5ft 8 and I wear mostly 16s, there are a few 14s that fit, but not many!

When I was 237 my 18s were too tight...

April Snow
07-13-2011, 10:50 PM
I am 5ft 8 and I wear mostly 16s, there are a few 14s that fit, but not many!

When I was 237 my 18s were too tight...

but I bet you are several sizes smaller than me in tops!!

I am hoping to be able to fit into a misses large/14 top - that would be an amazing thing for me because I haven't been in non-plus sized tops for pretty much as long as I can remember. But given the size differential that I currently have (16 misses vs. 22-24 plus), if I get small enough to put me in a 14 misses top, I'm probably looking at a size 8 bottom and that just does not even seem fathomable to me! lol!

envelope
07-13-2011, 11:12 PM
but I bet you are several sizes smaller than me in tops!!

I am hoping to be able to fit into a misses large/14 top - that would be an amazing thing for me because I haven't been in non-plus sized tops for pretty much as long as I can remember. But given the size differential that I currently have (16 misses vs. 22-24 plus), if I get small enough to put me in a 14 misses top, I'm probably looking at a size 8 bottom and that just does not even seem fathomable to me! lol!

I can wear some XL tshirts, but I usually need 1x's. The other day I tried on a 16 blouse that I had to stop wearing a while back bc the buttons were pulling, and it fit. :o)

I have an XL jacket/blazer that I bought in Dec. on clearance...it came no where near fitting me. I tried it on the other day and I still have a ways to go before it will fit.

Porthardygurl
07-14-2011, 04:25 AM
hmmm..all this size talk got me thinking..

I wear a size 18 tight..from Penningtons... and a 4x in a freaking tee shirt..it drives me nuts...i mean seriously..My boobs are a C cup and i have to wear a 4x????? How come everyone else is wearing a smaller shirt then me but you all have lot bigger boobs than me cup wise?? I mean.. yah..my circumfrence is 44 around...but still?

Oh and walmart is the be all end all..it drives me mental!!..I can never find anything..something will say 4x for shirts and it will bemore like a 6x..its too baggy..but then there size 18 jeans will be too tight??? and i mean..by a lot..

Oh and i dont know if you have a Rickys out there..but they are supposed to be plus size..but there xxl isnt even close to being a 2x...

Isnt it crazy..is it just me..or are clothing companys making there clothes a lot smaller??? maybe its just in canada..

I remember going to walmart in america and being a size 14 and i was like woohooooooo... so many more choices in my size..is everything in america made bigger?

zoodoo613
07-14-2011, 08:25 AM

i have no idea what my measurements are....but i'm 5 foot 4 or 5 foot 5 and i'm sitting at about 209 right now... my cup size is 38C and i wear a 2X shirt mostly because of my boobs LOL! i think i'm still at a size 14 jeans but i'm not at all sure, i cant stand to wear jeans, havent worn them in years....i wear yoga pants alot, capris, athletic pants, anything not restrictive...and yes, as long as it's got a little give to the material, i wear an 8/10

here's a pic i took of myself this month just a week ago or so

Now that you mention it, I have some XL yoga pants, and some XL knit shorts that fit me too. And while I say I'm a 20 because my most recent pants purchases have been 20s, I have some 18W that are WAY too big. Of course I also bought some capris in a 22W that are only too big in the waist. Clothes are just crazy.

mayness
07-14-2011, 09:09 AM
My crazing sizing story is from Old Navy, too!

I grabbed two pairs of jeans, same exact style, even the same color... one a size 4 and one a size 6 (ok, this is when I was a bit lighter, lol) and headed into the dressing room...

The 4's were too big and the 6's were too small.

:faint: ... :dizzy: ... :?: ... :lol:

NicoleInCt
07-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Old Navy is NOT consistent. I have 8s, 10s, and 12s, from them in pants/shorts/capris and they ALL fit. Their shirts are also weird. I bought two different style sweaters in size M. One M looks great. The other, I swear, looks like a 2XL.

NicoleInCt
07-14-2011, 10:17 AM

Women are just shaped differently. I am in the low 140s and wear a 36D and size 8/10. We are too interested in numbers when we see they clearly don't mean much. It's the same with weight. Haven't you ever met someone who looks way better than you and has the same weight, or someone who looks bigger than you and somehow weighs less (provided they are telling the truth). We carry differently and have different body types, muscle structure, and bone density. It is baffling how varied women are when men who are a 36" are a 36" no matter where they shop. It would be nice if shopping for clothing weren't such a guessing game with us too.

runningfromfat
07-14-2011, 10:32 AM
And this is why I just can't understand why all these stupid stores don't size by measurements. Why can't they just size T-shirts by Armsize/Bust/Underbust/Waist and then pants would be Waist/Hips/Inseam. It would make all of our lives infinitely easier AND they could actually sell more clothes online (and not have to worry about paying extra for returns) because you could just order something and KNOW that it's going to fit your measurements. Personally, I'd even be willing to pay a bit more for clothes like that because I would KNOW that it fits and would be flattering.

Oh, and these posts are making me so nervous because DH is going to the US soon and is supposed to pick me up some clothes from old navy. I thought I had at least a good guess with the size but you guys are all scaring me!!!! :(

ETA: actually, they could even do T-shirts by bra size, which would probably work just as well...

berryblondeboys
07-14-2011, 10:32 AM
It is baffling how varied women are when men who are a 36" are a 36" no matter where they shop. It would be nice if shopping for clothing weren't such a guessing game with us too.

My husband and I have talked about the sizing game. I think women's clothes aren't in inches like men's because we can't handle knowing our true size. A size 34 sounds "big". A size 12 does not... Or it means nothing, so when our spouse sees a 12, he doesn't know it's like wearing a 34 waist (or so it appears for me to be the same as I can squeeze into a 34" men's jeans and a size 12 in women's clothing).

And because those numbers aren't even set to be the same thing from store to store, designer to designer, they really do mean nothing! And that's why they've been able to change sizes around over time. They've done it at least once since my teens, but I think they've done it TWICE.

runningfromfat
07-14-2011, 10:34 AM
My husband and I have talked about the sizing game. I think women's clothes aren't in inches like men's because we can't handle knowing our true size. A size 34 sounds "big". A size 12 does not... Or it means nothing, so when our spouse sees a 12, he doesn't know it's like wearing a 34 waist (or so it appears for me to be the same as I can squeeze into a 34" men's jeans and a size 12 in women's clothing).

And because those numbers aren't even set to be the same thing from store to store, designer to designer, they really do mean nothing! And that's why they've been able to change sizes around over time. They've done it at least once since my teens, but I think they've done it TWICE.

You know what they could do? They could have tags that rip out at the store so you use the size to try on the clothes but you can rip it out once you get home and forget about it. ;)

InsideMe
07-14-2011, 10:35 AM
I shop Old Navy all the time and for the most part I wear a size 16 there however I do have a size 16 skirt from there that was too tight, it fits now and all my other size 16 shorts are getting loose........go figure???? I don't get it.

SouthLake
07-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Ugh- it always drives me nuts to see other people's sizes- I have to cover my ears and shout "lalalala" See, I don't fit into size 8s until I am under 140 pounds- and I'm almost 5'9"! I see all these other people at that weight and my height fitting in to size 2, 4, etc. The universe is patently unfair.

As for Old Navy- I am consistently a size smaller in their pants than at any other store. Though, I've also tried on pants in the same size and foudn oen pair that wouldn't even stay above my hips with a belt, and another that I couldn't get past my thighs. And, I truly hate that they'll fit just fine in the morning, and be falling off a few hours later. But, they're cheap, and they work for while I'm losing weight.

Beach Patrol
07-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Weirdness abounds!

My stats are UTD. I am wearing all sorts of different sizes - some 16's, some 14's, some 12's... even a 10 here or there - it's just weird. And since I've lost 20 pounds since January, most of my 14s don't fit well at all 0 they're really too big, but some of them I love so much, I still wear them anyway. :dizzy: I have a size 14 skort that I adore - and it fit me last summer (I was mid 180's then) and still fits me rather well now. Crazy I tell ya!! :crazy:

As for bra sizes, I've been a 38C for the longest time... now those are "too big" and while most of my friends say "no way you're a C! you've got to be a D!!" - well, uh, no. D cups have a poochy little area around the top of my boobs, no matter if I try a 34, 36 or 38 - and here recently, I've gotten so fed up with sizes that I have started wearing adhesive bras. I LOVE THEM!!!I'd recommend them to anyone! But beware - if you have really really BIG breasticles, the adhesives won't work well for you.

MindiV
07-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Old Navy is on my last nerve. It's the only place I can get jeans that fit my waist and height. I'm also 5' 8.5" tall. Three shopping trips ago (I don't enjoy it and go as little as possible) I bought a pair of size 6 jeans in a certain cut, then changed cut and got into a size 2 on my next trip. The last trip, in January, with zero inches gained, I couldn't get a 2 in the same cut up over my thighs.

FitGirlyGirl
07-14-2011, 03:53 PM
I have decided I hate Old Navy for jeans/pants. I do still LOVE their t-shirts and PJs though. I have pants from Old Navy that currently fit me in 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16. Admittedly the 8s are tight and the 16s are loose, but neither one to the extent that I won't wear them in public, including to church. Strangeness.

Once I went to Target to get bras. I wanted 1 white and 1 black. I tried on the white ones and found the right size and got the exact same brand, style, and size in black. When I tried to wear the black one it was not even remotely the right size. The band was too loose and the cups were too small. How in the world does that happen?

Hanes is another enemy of mine. I have the same issue with color being the only difference. I have bought packages of undies and had pairs from the same package fit me differently. Right now in Hanes bikinis I need a 6 in black ones, a 5 in white ones, and a 7 in almost any other color. Insane!

fattymcfatty
07-14-2011, 04:21 PM
I wear a large pant size because my waist is where I carry what is left of my fat. I always have to buy bigger and then my legs and butt are swimming! I currently am a large or xl in tops and a 14 in pants, with some 16's fitting still but loose. I have yet to find a 12 pant that doesn't cut off circulation in my stomach. I haven't been in Old Navy for awhile, but I suspect I'd fit into a 12 or 10 in their pants due to the vanity sizing. I have size L tops from there and they are large on me now, so I'd probably be a medium.

My stomach is nasty.

But the rest of me is smokin' hot!!! :P

yossarianlives
07-15-2011, 06:45 AM
Aww I kind of like Old Navy... :( saying that I bought jeans from there that were a 12US which I now can't wear for a few hours without completely not fitting in a very unflattering way. I've bought a pair of jeans from River Island in a 12UK (a size down from the Old Navy jeans) and they are obviously way too small. Argh!

Also, I have a love for JpnSuperdry clothes, but with them I have L tshirts (for a 8/10US) and an XL jacket for a 12 grrr

fatmad
07-15-2011, 07:09 AM
just to chime in with my two cents worth, I do find a lot of place are not very consistent with sizing, and old navy is bad for it, I agree.
I have had good luck with the Sears catalogue. They have a sizing guide, and I think they make manufacturers follow it, not their "own" sizing. The stuff made for sears, like the jessica line, is quite consistent, at least for my sized stuff. I am a pretty consistent, 12-14 in all slacks, skirts and dresses. Tops can be more varied, though that is usually because bust and arm sizes affect the fit a lot.
Another store that is consistent for me is Lulu lemon, I only fit the highest sizes, and just barely, but I don't have to go down sizes, and while I don't go up sizes (there is no up!) I can get into their 12/14s just fine.
Simons (in Quebec) is also quite good, and I was also a nice 12-14 in all their lines the last time I shopped there. (sigh, a year ago, time to go back)

zoodoo613
07-15-2011, 09:59 AM
And this is why I just can't understand why all these stupid stores don't size by measurements. Why can't they just size T-shirts by Armsize/Bust/Underbust/Waist and then pants would be Waist/Hips/Inseam. It would make all of our lives infinitely easier AND they could actually sell more clothes online (and not have to worry about paying extra for returns) because you could just order something and KNOW that it's going to fit your measurements. Personally, I'd even be willing to pay a bit more for clothes like that because I would KNOW that it fits and would be flattering.

Oh, and these posts are making me so nervous because DH is going to the US soon and is supposed to pick me up some clothes from old navy. I thought I had at least a good guess with the size but you guys are all scaring me!!!! :(

ETA: actually, they could even do T-shirts by bra size, which would probably work just as well...

I think it's probably a good idea, but I don't think it would solve the problem entirely. My thighs were often a limiting factor in clothes. It'd oddly less of a a problem now, because my hips are big enough to match. And that's just my particular issue. I'm sure other women have other issues.

I have trouble believing that women's bodies are actually more variable than men's bodies, but woman are hard to fit. Maybe it's just that for men, the waist often the largest part of the lower half and it can all hang from there. If they have a but, there's room for it. If they don't it's just an empty place in the pants, but they can't see it and therefore don't care.

hdallas78
07-15-2011, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=mayness;3936242]My crazing sizing story is from Old Navy, too!

I grabbed two pairs of jeans, same exact style, even the same color... one a size 4 and one a size 6 (ok, this is when I was a bit lighter, lol) and headed into the dressing room...

:faint: ... :dizzy: ... :?: ... :lol:[/QUOTI

I've had the EXACT same thing happen at old navy, but with the SAME STYLE, SAME SIZE! One pair was huge and the other fit just right. I can't stand shopping there anymore.

SouthLake
07-15-2011, 05:49 PM
I have trouble believing that women's bodies are actually more variable than men's bodies, but woman are hard to fit. Maybe it's just that for men, the waist often the largest part of the lower half and it can all hang from there. If they have a but, there's room for it. If they don't it's just an empty place in the pants, but they can't see it and therefore don't care.

Ah, my poor hubby is an example of not fitting well. He's recently lost weight to where his waist is easily in a size 34, if not smaller. However, boy's got a butt. (guess thats what you get from a lifetime of soccer!) So, he can't wear anything smaller than a 36 (which GAPES at the waist) without them being total butt huggers. He still has another 20 pounds or so that he wants to lose, so I imagine the poor guy will have to get all his pants and shorts tailored if he wants them to fit well. He always wears a belt, but it's getting to the point where the fabric is starting to get all scrunchy at the waist when he belts them to fit. He's mortified to admit (especially to his male friends who have been admiring his weightloss) that he can't buy smaller pants because his butt is too big.

Me, on the other hand? I would kill to have an adorable, firm bubble butt like his. I have a butt flatter than Kansas, even at my high weight.

m3rma1d
07-15-2011, 07:38 PM
I <3 Old Navy. It's my favorite store and I wish I could afford to shop there for all my clothes!!

mzKiki
07-15-2011, 11:50 PM

I'm 5'8" 237 (as of this morning) and I'm in an 18!!! And I have been since maybe 12 or 13 pounds ago. It just goes to show that body shape plays a part and height weight doesn't mean much!

AriesNV
07-16-2011, 01:04 AM
[QUOTE=mayness;3936242]My crazing sizing story is from Old Navy, too!

:faint: ... :dizzy: ... :?: ... :lol:[/QUOTI

I've had the EXACT same thing happen at old navy, but with the SAME STYLE, SAME SIZE! One pair was huge and the other fit just right. I can't stand shopping there anymore.

It probably took just one larger person to try them on to stretch them out. That's how cheap their jean material is. You sit down once and they're stretched out and falling off.

ShanIAm
07-16-2011, 01:14 AM
This post made me go out tonight and head to Old Navy. I only started wearing jeans a couple months ago so I'm not an expert in this area. Bought a pair at O.N. in a size 10 in May. I was actually wearing them tonight even though they are starting to sag in the rear. Anyway I tried on an 8 (same cut) and they fit like a glove. I expected this as I had lost 5-6 pounds since I bought the 10's. I then tried on a pair of 6's in another cut. They were too freaking loose. They fit worse than my 10's! I believe some of their jeans fit like they should and other's are just -- wrong!

I will say that I love their jeans tho. The one's I got don't stretch out too much during the day and I have washed and dryed them countless times. They look exactly the same as the day I bought them. They are soft, the material is not too thin or too thick and they sit perfectly on my waist.

Oh, and I gotta admit, I went into Walmart to buy a pair of "beater jeans" and I love them just as much.

mayness
07-16-2011, 12:42 PM
I believe some of their jeans fit like they should and other's are just -- wrong!

I think you're right, because I have bought good ones before the size incident I described above. (After that I was so shocked that I never tried again, heh.) I don't know if it's a problem with maintenance of the machines in their factories, or maybe inconsistency between different factories, but something is just OFF in some pairs, to a greater degree than with most other brands.

Mitsu23
07-19-2011, 09:22 PM
I bought 15 new pairs of panties at Addition Elle. I picked out my size 2X as I always do and bought them. When I went to put on a new pair I couldn't even get the damb things up to my knees!!! I thought what the **** these were for someone who was a size 8 not plus size. And to boot I couldn't return them and lost $100. It's crazy