Nutrition and Labeling - Mushrooms. Good or Bad veg?

View Full Version : Mushrooms. Good or Bad veg?

Mishflynn
07-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Im eating ALOT of mushrooms, as a sort of potato/pasta/rice subsititute.

I just boil them in the Mwave. I presume they are low fat/low cal/low carb.
Can anyone cnfirm?

fatgyrl
07-12-2011, 09:34 AM
1C sliced mushrooms (70 grams) 15 cal, 2 carbs, 0 fat

kateleestar
07-12-2011, 09:48 AM
I love mushrooms. I eat them every day. I love them on my salad, and in my egg white omlets.. Mmm.

Lovely
07-12-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure what kind of mushrooms you're using, so this info may vary per type!

1 Cup of Mushrooms (70g weight)

Fat = 0.23g
Carbs = 2.29g
Fiber = 0.83g
Protein = 2.02g

Sounds like a healthy and filling food to me! Especially for a whole cup of them!

fitmom
07-12-2011, 03:08 PM
I've been eating them like crazy since Dr. Oz said they are one of the best veggies for you. I put them in omelets, salads, over whole wheat pasta and in soup. Love them.

runningfromfat
07-12-2011, 03:13 PM
I sneak them into as many things as possible along with onions, frozen spinach, and pepers. Yum!

Suzanne 3FC
07-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Well they aren't a vegetable, they are fungi :p Whether or not they are good for you depends on what type of mushroom you eat. It seems that you really can eat too many. :dizzy:

This surprised me. According to Dr.Weil, common cultivated mushrooms (including white button, portabello, crimini, etc) should not be over eaten because they contain natural carcinogens. The amount is small, but if you eat a lot of mushrooms it could become a problem. Dr. Weil says never to eat them raw, either. This was strange to hear at first because sliced raw mushrooms have always been a common salad ingredient for many people. Cooking them breaks down some of the toxins. You can read more about it here (http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400053/are-mushrooms-good-for-your-health.html).

Dr. Oz said to only eat 1/2 cup of button mushrooms every other day.

Wild mushrooms do not contain the carcinogens that the others do. Any of the wild or Asian varieties are good for you, such as shiitaki and oyster mushrooms.

Lambert
07-13-2011, 02:07 AM
There are different types of mushrooms not every type is for losing weight.

tommy
07-13-2011, 03:59 PM
There are different types of mushrooms not every type is for losing weight.

I do not think the OP was trying to get a specific weight loss magic out of them. They are all naturally low in calories, provide bulk, taste good, provide a "meaty" taste to things (umami is the current buzzword), and also provide vitamin, mineral and anti-oxidant coverage.

The oyster and shiatakes I get fresh (incl the big meaty King Oysters) are all cultivated so I wonder why the creminis are so different. Research to be done.....

Mishflynn
07-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks guys, i will happily eat on!

Larry H
07-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Watch out for canned mushrooms as they have a lot of sodium added to them.
No salt added and low sodium canned mushrooms are available although they are sometimes hard to find.

Larry,

Orijanal
07-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Didn't know not top eat them raw, but will stir fry them in spray oil from now.

RRB2
08-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Great info! I love mushrooms as well, always assumed they're OK to eat raw and otherwise. Sauteed mushrooms - yum!

PhatBeth
09-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Mushrooms are quite good at neutralizing free radicals, those renegade molecules that can otherwise get up to no good. In fact, you might be surprised (as I was) to learn that when it comes to antioxidant power, the plain old white button mushroom beats out even colorful veggies like green peppers, carrots, green beans, and tomatoes! Best of all, mushrooms contain antioxidants that are not deactivated or destroyed by cooking.

kpenn1971
09-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Great info! I love mushrooms as well, always assumed they're OK to eat raw and otherwise. Sauteed mushrooms - yum!

I agree!!! sauteed mushrooms... YUM-O

SanityNow
09-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Dr. Fuhrman says mushrooms are good, too. Don't know his stand on raw v. cooked, but I cook mine in water sauteed onions + spices. Throw in some low-sodium black beans and it's great.

Aishah
09-10-2011, 01:14 PM
I love mushrooms! I get them raw and then cook them. I always feel like I'm eating a cheat food when I cook them, because they are so soft and tender. I love them cooked with dishes and in omelets. I add mushrooms to a lot of meals!

ennay
09-10-2011, 02:55 PM
If I worried about every food that was potentially a carcinogen I would be dead from starvation and worry. Now personally I do cook my mushrooms because I like them that way.

I am so beyond worrying about the bad side of any whole food.

PhatBeth
09-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Why do people have all this doubts on mushrooms....
Surprisingly, mushrooms are a pretty good source of protein, and though they don't have any vitamin C or beta carotene (because they don't have chlorophyll), they are relatively high in B vitamins, copper and a variety of other minerals. They are also extremely low in calories (20 calories per cup of raw mushrooms).
Don't collect then from the bush, some are very poisonous.

iaradajnos
09-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Great. I never ever would have eaten mushrooms growing up. But have since really learned to love them every day. I will look out for the more exotic ones (per Dr. Weil) but I also see that the other ones can be eaten several times a week. I guess diversify is the way to go. As always, everything in moderation.

LAgreeneyes
01-19-2012, 12:32 PM
I LOVE mushrooms. Anyone know how many calories in 1 cup of mushrooms?

40lbsPLEASE
01-19-2012, 05:19 PM
I LOVE mushrooms. Anyone know how many calories in 1 cup of mushrooms?

about 15-20 calories per cup for raw mushrooms =) i'm not positive on cooked, tho. I hear the calorie content goes up when u cook 'em, but it can't be significant?!?! Well, if you ate 5-10 cups at a sitting it would be significant, lol! :D

ICUwishing
01-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Roasted mushrooms are DIVINE!!! We put a little olive oil in a Ziploc, drop in a few sprinkles of dried or fresh oregano, and a couple cups of mushrooms. Shake them up to distribute the oil on them, lay them out on a foil-covered cookie sheet, and roast at 350 for about 30 minutes. Outstanding! To make them extra special, sprinkle on some finely-grated asiago or parmesan just before they're done. :drool:

LAgreeneyes
01-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Roasted mushrooms are DIVINE!!! We put a little olive oil in a Ziploc, drop in a few sprinkles of dried or fresh oregano, and a couple cups of mushrooms. Shake them up to distribute the oil on them, lay them out on a foil-covered cookie sheet, and roast at 350 for about 30 minutes. Outstanding! To make them extra special, sprinkle on some finely-grated asiago or parmesan just before they're done. :drool:

YUMMY!!!!

JEN3
04-09-2012, 12:24 PM
I was just reading about mushrooms. I've heard and read from a lot of different reliable sources that mushrooms have many health benefits. I adore mushroomie-rooms! :D They're rich in iron.

The 11 Healthiest Foods in America

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/nutrition/photos/11-healthiest-foods-america#3

Why they're healthy: Mushrooms are not just healthy, they're vital in boosting your immune system and preventing infections, and they're becoming increasingly valuable tools in medicine, where research is finding that mushroom compounds can fight diseases such as breast cancer. But nowadays, commercial mushroom producers do use heavy amounts of insecticides, says Thomas Wiandt, an organic mushroom farmer in Ohio and owner of Killbuck Valley Mushrooms. "Common practice is to grow them in caves, or cavelike structures," he says. Those areas provide optimal breeding grounds for insects, so the crops are often misted with insecticides (which are different types of pesticides than fungicides, which aren't used because they would kill of the spores mushroom need to grow). U.S. Department of Agriculture tests have detected 14 insecticide residues on mushroom crops. "Not only that, a mushroom has a highly absorbent surface," Wiandt says.

How to get them: Get the health benefits without the toxic chemicals, go organic.

LAgreeneyes
04-09-2012, 12:44 PM
I love mushrooms.

ubskinnyagain75
04-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Calories are super foods - excellent source of Vitamin D - I eat them several times a week and actually replace 'meat' with them. So low in calories, so delicious.