Old 07-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #1  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Smile NSV(s) - Goal Clothes

Three weeks ago, I hung a really cute shirt I could fit into in 2009 on my closet door and promised myself it would fit in 2 weeks. It did.

Same day, I had one that was similar but just a little smaller. I told myself it would fit in 2 weeks. It fit in ONE week.

A week ago, I pulled out an entirely different shirt and told myself it would fit this coming Saturday. I'm wearing it today!!

I keep blowing through my goal shirts! I'm running out of goal shirts! My favorite jeans are too big! And my favorite SHOES are now too big! I keep accidentally walking out of them! (They are Crocs sandals.)

In 2 months (or sooner) I will be smaller than I was in the FIFTH GRADE. That blows my mind.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

What a fabulous feeling!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get there. I have almost gone down a size in jeans but I am still not quite comfortable in them so I am clinging to the 26's that are falling off my backside. LOL

Your posts are so inspirational! Thank you for sharing.

OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #3  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

WTG DCHound!
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Isn't it fun ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #5  
Asses 2 Ash/Guts 2 Dust

S/C/G: 292/ticker/175

wow! Amazing job DCHound! You are truly willing your future into a reality! I think I'm going to have to pull some of my skinny jeans down from the attic!
JamiSue3916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

WOW! You are losing fast!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Great job! Isn't it wonderful when this happens? I love the fact that I'm losing weight, but I'm upset that some of my shoes are too big now! I never thought that would happen. My favorite sandals are too big - makes me want to cry.

Keep up the great work. We can't see your progress because you don't have a ticker, but it must be amazing. Be proud!

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #8  
nirvikalpa samadhi

Quote:
You are truly willing your future into a reality!
That is PRECISELY what I am doing. I am letting my subconscious mind do all the hard work. I'm just doing exactly what I WANT to do. I literally eat and drink whatever I want, whenever I want, as much as I want. I just seem to want to eat small, healthy, low-carb portions frequently, drink water constantly, and exercise daily. I don't do it because I'm scared not to, I do it because I want to.

I haven't gotten on the scale in about 3 weeks but my best guess right now at my weight, considering what I weighed at this size in 2009, is about ~225. I was right at 260 the middle of May. I got rid of my ticker because I threw out my scale because it was holding me back. I don't need it. I thought I needed to see that magical "199" when it occurs, but I don't. I truly don't care what the # on the scale is. I care about how I feel, how much energy I have, how I look and how my clothes fit (and I'll run out of clothes in less than 2 months!).

Thanks everybody. This is FUN!!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #9  
nirvikalpa samadhi

OnMyWayDown, if your 26s are falling off you are probably a 22. I skipped like 3 sizes on the way down because I clung to my falling-off 28s for too long. Go try some new jeans on! Even if you don't buy them, it will make you feel fabulous (and I bet you'll buy them!).
Old 07-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #10  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

Height: 5'5"

I'm so interested in your no-scale strategy. At the point where you're losing fast and burning through sizes, I agree that a scale is totally not necessary. Is it something that you think will work long term? Do you think you will ever need it to adjust your calories or exercise regimen as you get closer to goal? Is that something that you have decided not to worry about at this point because what you're doing is working so well right now?

I'm just at the beginning, and so far, I need the reassurance of the scale that I'm actually doing something that is getting results. But I also remember horrible days when I gained when I shouldn't have. (The scale is not always a great tool for measuring progress, I know.) And it's been horrible trying to overcome that awful feeling.

I guess I'll just watch and be amazed at how well you're doing!
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #11  
nirvikalpa samadhi

Sophronia, most people here would tell you absolutely not to throw out your scale, but also not to believe it as the Gospel truth. Scales are only one measure of progress. It helps keep some folks on the straight-and-narrow, and when the scale says what you think it should, it helps to motivate you. Often when it says what you don't think it should, it inspires you to do better. Or - it can be your worst enemy by DEmotivating you when you've done everything right and it's not saying what you think it should.

In early 2009 I went through what I thought was about a 4-month plateau because my scale wasn't moving. I hated it! But I got smaller and smaller - lost 2 sizes. How could that happen while staying at the same weight, +/- 5 lbs? There's a better scientific explanation than the one I can give, but it essentially boils down to, fat cells shed fat (when you're losing) but it takes time for them to collapse, and in the meantime, they retain water. So they are smaller, but heavier. Thus, you are smaller, but your weight stays about the same.

Personally, I don't need any kind of demotivation (or motivation, for that matter). I'm mentally where I need to be. My clothes are falling off. I love what I eat and I love the exercise I do. I do it because I want to. I don't need no stinking scale.

If you want to know more about what I'm doing, read Think Yourself Thin (it's about $3 on A M A Z O N). Do what's best for you. Most folks need the scale, but personally I'm better without it.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I have to post again - I am amazed at your attitude. It certainly shows in your progress. I realize in my intelligent brain that if I stay OP, I HAVE to continue to lose weight. I also know that if I didn't have a scale, I'd still know I was losing. I'd also know if my clothes were getting tighter, I must be gaining! Funny how that works . . .

But - I'm one who does better with charts and lists and scales. That said, I don't chart my food, but I like to keep a chart of weekly weight loss and on the first Wednesday (weigh-in day) I note my BMI. This helps ME stay OP. I know the scale numbers go up and down on a daily basis, but the scale is my reality check. I admire the fact that you don't need it for yours. And I have to admit 1000% that when I know I've been OP and the scale doesn't move, I get frustrated. Fortunately, that just keeps me OP and doesn't make me feel like the plan isn't working.

How wonderful that we are all so much alike but yet so different! What a wonderful thing is the human mind, body, spirit.

Everyone in here - keep doing what works for you! We owe it to ourselves to get healthy!

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #13  
Asses 2 Ash/Guts 2 Dust

S/C/G: 292/ticker/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
In early 2009 I went through what I thought was about a 4-month plateau because my scale wasn't moving. I hated it! But I got smaller and smaller - lost 2 sizes. How could that happen while staying at the same weight, +/- 5 lbs? There's a better scientific explanation than the one I can give, but it essentially boils down to, fat cells shed fat (when you're losing) but it takes time for them to collapse, and in the meantime, they retain water. So they are smaller, but heavier. Thus, you are smaller, but your weight stays about the same.
Very interesting....I'm going to do some research and read more about this. I can definitely say that education has been my biggest motivator. I feel much better about the scale (good or bad) when I have a general understanding of what is or could be going on inside me.
JamiSue3916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #14  
nirvikalpa samadhi

There are threads on this board with the more-scientific explanation but I don't have links to any of them. Perhaps someone else does?

I have never been good at charts, spreadsheets, counting, timelines, etc. I've never counted calories (ever) and barely count carbs. I just kind of eat mostly the same things and do the same things every day. But if you are interested, read the book I mentioned above. It explains stuff way better than I can. (Emotional, motivational, mental stuff.)