Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default Menstrual pain more manageable due to exercise

Has anyone else noticed that since they started regularly exercising that their menstrual pain has lessened?

I used to dread the TOM b/c my pain was so severe, it would knock me off my feet for a few days. I was unable to exercise and in a lot of pain with the awful cramps. Since starting a regular running program and cleaning up my diet, I've noticed that the pain only lasts for like 12 hours and I'm able to still exercise. Also, my periods have gone from 7 days to 4 days, which is a huge relief. And they are not as heavy either.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Did you start the exercise separately from the other factors? Otherwise it could be the exercise, could be the diet, could be the weight loss. Whatever it is, that's great!

There always seems to be conflicting reports on whether exercise helps menstrual cramps. The fact that they're still not sure makes me suspect that it simply works for some people but not others.

I can't exercise enough to affect my cramps, not that I get bad cramps to begin with. However, I can tell you that weight loss is causing general hormonal upheaval for me (not cramps, now I think of it, more about PMDD and spotting), and that when I take essential fatty acid supplements, my periods get shorter and lighter. I've been taking echium oil (best veggie alternative to fish oil) for a few years, and have recently added in starflower/borage oil (stronger version of evening primrose oil, pretty much). I looked up that effect when it happened, as it was so noticeable, and found that a lot of women report it.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #3  

No, I started all of it together. It wasn't until I added the running and diet factor that I really started to notice a difference. When I was just exercising but not running and not paying close attention to my diet (like 3 months ago) it was still so painful. I actually don't dread my period anymore which is nice.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #4  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

I've noticed that physical activity really seems to help with my cramps. Granted, with it's that TOM, I moan and groan about having to exercise , but once I get into it, I really do feel better!
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 130/120/115

Height: 5'2"

Yup my TOM totally snuck up on me on Saturday, no cramps. Surprise! I had a hunch it was coming because I was a weepy mess on Friday, but that was it...one day's warning! (I'm on BC but it doesn't always come on the day that it stops...sometimes takes a week, which is annoyinggg)
mimi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #6  

I was on BC for ten years which helped a little but the pain got so much worse when I had my tubes tied four years ago. I can totally relate to the weepy mess b/c mine's due to make an appearance any day now, lol. I'm just glad it'll be gone when I go away next week b/c traveling and TOM do not mix in my book.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

i heard this too!! i was also told the increase in muscle in the area helps and the increased circulation
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree with pinksparkle! LOL

I do vaguely remember in health class or in school along the way, teachers explaining that exercise does help with the menstrual cycle. It helps get it moving or something. (also helps with gas associated with it, getting it out that is!) Am I the only one who gets horrid gas right before TOM?? ICK!!!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #9  

I don't get gas but I can't sleep for a few nights before it arrives. But that's even gotten better due to all the running I've been doing lately. I guess all that cardio tires this old gal out, lol.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #10  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I had the experience of exercise = easier periods. I try to do pilates or something core 'related' on the day I'm supposed to start. It just seems to help.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: >138/124/114

Height: 5'4"

Duh! Lightbulb just went on in my head!
The last time I had bad TOM cramps... was around 3 weeks after I started MMA. I haven't had any since... and mine were
"fetal position around heating pad, popping pain-killers like candy, no food extreme nausea, tears to screaming anger to depression within ten minutes, and insane insomnia"
No more. Exercise FTW
Esenin is offline   Reply With Quote