Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/114/108

Default Ending Food Guilt

Has anyone else had success with halting their binging by ending their food guilt?

I used to feel so guilty over every little thing that I ate. If one potato chip touched my lips I would think screw it, I messed up so might as well eat everything underneath the sun because of my imperfect diet. This caused me to obsess about food even more.

Now I have retrained myself to end the food guilt. If I can only put sugar in my tea instead of sweetener, then I won't feel guilty about it. If I had an amazing meal out, then I won't feel guilty about it. If I'm offered a slice of cake and I eat it, then I won't feel guilty about it.

By ending the food guilt I have effectively learned to enjoy food even more without become obsessive about it. I eat normal portions, and in general, I consider myself to be much more of a normal eater.

I have ended my binge eating, not to say I will never binge again. But for now, I finally feel at peace.

Let's end the food guilt!

Last edited by LataJones; 07-10-2011 at 07:07 PM.
LataJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/180/144

Height: 5'6

I can relate all too much. Like you, every time I put something tasty in my mouth I felt quilty bc I blew it, whats another ten or twenty more. But like you, I no longer feel that way! I even make it a point to go out twice a month to a nice dinner and drinks without feeling quilt about the next day..... I just go back to my diet and program. If you never allow yourself to enjoy a little, I think it only hurts you..... like they say, "You always want what you can't have." If you say to yourself, you can have it, you never feel deprived and there is no quilt! Congrats! Lets keep this type of mindset for the rest of our lives!
Shmoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Height: 5'6"

Yes!! I can relate as well. I'm not saying I never binge anymore, because I do, occassionally. But it's this same thinking that has gotten me to stop a lot of it. It's the "all-or-nothing" mentality that got me into real trouble, because I often picked "all". I also stopped cutting things out of my diet completely. I know that I want to focus on having more protein and veggies and some good carbs, but instead of telling myself that anything is off limits, I'm committed to making anything work. Last night someone at my house handed me a cold beer--and I took it! And damn, it was good. And then I re-worked my cals and changed up my dinner plan, and stayed on-target. Nothing is off limits anymore, but I still know what's best. I think this is the most freeing attitude about food I've ever had, and I love it!
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #4  

Thanks for the response, chicks. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels that they have a more normal relationship with food now.

And surprisingly, I'm actually losing weight. The last two weeks I have eaten ice cream, fish and chips, cake, etc., and have actually lost weight compared to the restrictive dieting/binging that I previously did.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 117/88/77 (Kgs)

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by LataJones View Post
Has anyone else had success with halting their binging by ending their food guilt?

I used to feel so guilty over every little thing that I ate. If one potato chip touched my lips I would think screw it, I messed up so might as well eat everything underneath the sun because of my imperfect diet. This caused me to obsess about food even more.

Now I have retrained myself to end the food guilt. If I can only put sugar in my tea instead of sweetener, then I won't feel guilty about it. If I had an amazing meal out, then I won't feel guilty about it. If I'm offered a slice of cake and I eat it, then I won't feel guilty about it.

By ending the food guilt I have effectively learned to enjoy food even more without become obsessive about it. I eat normal portions, and in general, I consider myself to be much more of a normal eater.

I have ended my binge eating, not to say I will never binge again. But for now, I finally feel at peace.

Let's end the food guilt!

How did you END THE GUILT? That's my huge-est problem now, always has been, even up till this morning, I ate a croissant and a piece of chocolate and so I'm 'planning' on letting myself 'go' completely today, and I'll start on a 'clean slate' tomorrow. My excuse is that I can't help it. Please help before I end up gaining back some of the weight I've struggled to lose... OH I'm already being sucked into the frenzy I need a lifeline!!! But just reading your post has calmed me a bit. Now... I have one croissant left... Shouldn't I just eat it and forget it? So I can have a white bread-less fridge starting tomorrow...
fight2winthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:37 AM   #6  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

I have the same problem. I think part of it ties into me being slightly OCD (not just throwing that around - legitimately, I believe I am), in that if I'm going to diet, I think 'Oh, I'll start at midnight.' Preferably on a Sunday or a Monday. Even better at the beginning of the month. Even BETTER at the beginning of the year.

So when I eat something, I binge, and think, 'I'll start over at midnight.' I'm still working on beating it.
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #7  
Kristen Denece

S/C/G: 196/196/140

Height: 5'4

I think it takes a while to feel un guilty about having a treat when you have this disorder, If I go a week without a binge I deffinitly feel less guilty about eating something bad but If Im having a bad week everything I put near my mouth makes me feel guilty that may not be completely bad though keeps me knowing whats right and wrong I admire your way of thinking though for sure. You guys all have great comments @XXkaleidoscopic I do the same thing! Always has to be a Sunday or Monday (at the start of something) till this week I said screw it, it started yesterday Friday haha a little weird but I diddnt binge last night (first time in 3 weeks) I may have a read a gazillion post on 3fc till like 2 am but hey whatever works right!
KristenFlynn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight2winthis View Post
How did you END THE GUILT?
Hi fight2winthis. I would mentally say to myself, "I will not feel guilty about eating this." If I tell myself this enough times then I start to believe it. Once I start to believe it, I start enjoying the food even more, knowing that there's nothing to feel guilty about in the first place. Because I don't feel guilty, I don't feel that I ruined my diet, thus setting off a binge.

If you eat that croissant, tell yourself that you won't feel guilty about eating it. Hopefully you won't feel guilty, thus avoiding a binge.

I agree with Kristen. It may take awhile to feel un-guilty about eating something, but I believe it's entirely possible. For example, I ate AYCE Japanese today and don't feel one bit guilty about it. I don't feel the need to stuff myself with everything under the sun as "punishment".

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight2winthis View Post
How did you END THE GUILT? That's my huge-est problem now, always has been, even up till this morning, I ate a croissant and a piece of chocolate and so I'm 'planning' on letting myself 'go' completely today, and I'll start on a 'clean slate' tomorrow. My excuse is that I can't help it. Please help before I end up gaining back some of the weight I've struggled to lose... OH I'm already being sucked into the frenzy I need a lifeline!!! But just reading your post has calmed me a bit. Now... I have one croissant left... Shouldn't I just eat it and forget it? So I can have a white bread-less fridge starting tomorrow...
It takes time, for sure, and it's definitely an ongoing process. For me, I found that 2 things were especially helpful in shaking that mentality:

1) Stop putting negative or positive connotations on food. Such as "chocolate is bad, it has so many calories", or "bread is bad, lettuce is good". Food is just food. What we choose to do with the food is what is good or bad. Some things are more nutritious than others, some are very caloricaly dense, some calories are empty of any nutrition at all. Start making choices based on what you enjoy and like IN CONJUNCTION with its nutritional value. If you like croissants and chocolate, then eat them when you have the calories to do so and in moderation (I'm a calorie counter, so that keeps everything in check for me). By de-stigmatizing foods as good or bad, that has helped me with the "get all the bad food out by eating it all so you won't be tempted tomorrow" mentality.

2) This one has helped me greatly also, though I don't know what kind of plan you're on, so it could be off-base: stop cutting out things that you like or love. I have done my share of different programs, but I've probably done the low carb more than any other. When I cut out all of those carbs, I started feeling like I was being short-changed. And frankly, cutting out an entire food group because a diet tells you to is dangerous. For example, if you're the kind of person that doesn't like carbs, then it's YOU making the daily choice not to eat many of them, it's not a diet telling you what to do. I don't know about you, but as soon as I am told how to treat my body I start rebelling. I decided this time around that I'm not cutting anything out completely, but I am going to be smart about my choices. This also goes hand in hand with #1 because now I'm not obsessing over what I'm not "allowed" to have. This has helped me a LOT with the bingeing because I don't feel the need to pack as much bad stuff in when I have a bad day. If I want to eat a bit of junk, I do, because nothing is off limits. If I am "allowed" to eat chips whenever I actually want them (and not when I'm just mindlessly eating, that's never good!), then I don't feel the need to consume a whole bag to get rid of them so I can "start being good" tomorrow. If I can have ice-cream any day I want, then I don't need to shovel in a whole gallon tonight. That ice-cream will still be there tomorrow and I'll enjoy a bit then too. The only thing I have cut out of my diet is soda, and I did that because it reeks havoc on my skin, NOT because of (lacking) nutritional value.

Anyway, I hope that helps a bit, it's been a very crazy process for me but I feel like I'm making headway. I think sometimes when we try to lose weight, we treat ourselves like children and set silly rules that seem smart which only cause harm. Food is delicious, period. I enjoy eating the good stuff just as much as the bad, so I'm not going to deprive myself of what I enjoy, I'm just going to be smarter about it. You just need to take the pressure off yourself. There's enough pressure from the outside world, so practice being kind to yourself- eat to fuel yourself, but you want to be happy with it! Force feeding ourselves foods that we don't actually love because they are technically "good" is just as bad as overdoing it on nutritionally poor choices.
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #10  

Great tips, swtbttrfly! De-stigmatizing food has also been key to me.

I used to be a perfectionist eater. One "bad thing" meant I failed for the day so might as well eat everything I craved and start again tomorrow. This mentality made me gain more weight than just eating a normal portion, accepting it, and moving on. It's just food!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LataJones View Post
Hi fight2winthis. I would mentally say to myself, "I will not feel guilty about eating this." If I tell myself this enough times then I start to believe it. Once I start to believe it, I start enjoying the food even more, knowing that there's nothing to feel guilty about in the first place. Because I don't feel guilty, I don't feel that I ruined my diet, thus setting off a binge.

If you eat that croissant, tell yourself that you won't feel guilty about eating it. Hopefully you won't feel guilty, thus avoiding a binge.

I agree with Kristen. It may take awhile to feel un-guilty about eating something, but I believe it's entirely possible. For example, I ate AYCE Japanese today and don't feel one bit guilty about it. I don't feel the need to stuff myself with everything under the sun as "punishment".

Good luck.

Thanks much, I'll review the way i see food. You're right, stuffing myself with food from feeling guilty is a way of punishing myself, unconsciously believing that i'm not worthy of care and good health and happiness. I'll definitely work on my mindset. This is really a journey!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbttrfly23 View Post
It takes time, for sure, and it's definitely an ongoing process. For me, I found that 2 things were especially helpful in shaking that mentality:

1) Stop putting negative or positive connotations on food. Such as "chocolate is bad, it has so many calories", or "bread is bad, lettuce is good". Food is just food. What we choose to do with the food is what is good or bad. Some things are more nutritious than others, some are very caloricaly dense, some calories are empty of any nutrition at all. Start making choices based on what you enjoy and like IN CONJUNCTION with its nutritional value. If you like croissants and chocolate, then eat them when you have the calories to do so and in moderation (I'm a calorie counter, so that keeps everything in check for me). By de-stigmatizing foods as good or bad, that has helped me with the "get all the bad food out by eating it all so you won't be tempted tomorrow" mentality.

2) This one has helped me greatly also, though I don't know what kind of plan you're on, so it could be off-base: stop cutting out things that you like or love. I have done my share of different programs, but I've probably done the low carb more than any other. When I cut out all of those carbs, I started feeling like I was being short-changed. And frankly, cutting out an entire food group because a diet tells you to is dangerous. For example, if you're the kind of person that doesn't like carbs, then it's YOU making the daily choice not to eat many of them, it's not a diet telling you what to do. I don't know about you, but as soon as I am told how to treat my body I start rebelling. I decided this time around that I'm not cutting anything out completely, but I am going to be smart about my choices. This also goes hand in hand with #1 because now I'm not obsessing over what I'm not "allowed" to have. This has helped me a LOT with the bingeing because I don't feel the need to pack as much bad stuff in when I have a bad day. If I want to eat a bit of junk, I do, because nothing is off limits. If I am "allowed" to eat chips whenever I actually want them (and not when I'm just mindlessly eating, that's never good!), then I don't feel the need to consume a whole bag to get rid of them so I can "start being good" tomorrow. If I can have ice-cream any day I want, then I don't need to shovel in a whole gallon tonight. That ice-cream will still be there tomorrow and I'll enjoy a bit then too. The only thing I have cut out of my diet is soda, and I did that because it reeks havoc on my skin, NOT because of (lacking) nutritional value.

Anyway, I hope that helps a bit, it's been a very crazy process for me but I feel like I'm making headway. I think sometimes when we try to lose weight, we treat ourselves like children and set silly rules that seem smart which only cause harm. Food is delicious, period. I enjoy eating the good stuff just as much as the bad, so I'm not going to deprive myself of what I enjoy, I'm just going to be smarter about it. You just need to take the pressure off yourself. There's enough pressure from the outside world, so practice being kind to yourself- eat to fuel yourself, but you want to be happy with it! Force feeding ourselves foods that we don't actually love because they are technically "good" is just as bad as overdoing it on nutritionally poor choices.
This has been very helpful. I'm so sad to say that once recently I ate 6 twix candy bars at once because i had just bought them, 'discovered' i really didnt like twix, and made to 'get rid of them' so I could start over the next day. I've since reduced these episodes, these days i'd rather throw them in the trash (yeah, right), but I would like to learn to enjoy things in moderation and not in an all or nothing capacity (by the way, I do like twix bars), so that my progress in health can come full circle and not just when I'm in dieting mode. Thanks so much for these tips, I'll learn not to live by good or bad foods.