Weight Loss Support - Question about chicken

View Full Version : Question about chicken

tricon7
07-10-2011, 03:26 PM
I have a question about boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I've gone to several websites and they seem to agree that 4 oz. is equal to 140 calories. I sometimes will eat 8 oz. of it for lunch or dinner (280 calories), and it sure looks like a lot of food after I've weighed it. I just want to make sure that I'm not undercounting the calories in that if anyone has different numbers from me.

Lori Bell
07-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Remember the 4 oz is RAW weight...it cooks down to about 2.5 oz

gagalu
07-10-2011, 05:31 PM
so i guess just make sure you're finding the calories for 4 oz of cooked chicken breast? :)

tricon7
07-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Remember the 4 oz is RAW weight...it cooks down to about 2.5 oz

I hadn't considered that. It looks like I've been seriously undercounting the calories, as I was weighing cooked.

I found two sites - one said 51 cal./ounce cooked, the other has 58 cal./ounce cooked. So three ounces now contains more calories after I've cooked it than four ounces raw. No wonder I was stuck in a plateau. With all the chicken I've been eating, I thought I was at 1600 calories a day, when I was probably more at 1800 a day - or more.

gagalu
07-10-2011, 06:21 PM
haha, don't you hate that?! that's usually what "plateaus" are -- unwittingly eating too much! at least you weren't doing it on purpose, though, and you've now located the problem.