General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Question LADY Wants To GROW Her OWN

Seems Big Brother doesn't want us to grow our own ... that's ridiculous!

Click on the "more to the story" at the bottom of article for additional info...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/08...etable-garden/
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

That seems a little nitpicky. If that was a picture of their garden it was well-maintained, and actually looked very neat.

I get why they might not want a corn field in front of someone's house, but a little garden? Some people will complain about everything.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

A response of mine from a YT video I watched from yesterday.

"I'm going to bet that had she done it differently,she could have had her front yard garden and not been arrested.It looks horrid...she could have easily planted veggies and herbs to look alot more landscaped and appealing to the neighborhood...and that wouldn't have gotten her in trouble.Just a thought ~shrug~ I have to add though,a jail sentence is insane and uncalled for."

I really do think she wouldn't have gotten into so much trouble had it looked manicured, rather then the numerous raised garden beds that are there.A cousin of mine has veggies and herbs all over her backyard in random spaces(along with flowers to attract certain insects and repel others) and you'd never guess it was her veggie garden.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #4  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

It looks horrid?! It is her property! Who is anybody to say she can't have veggies in her front yard? This country is out of control anymore when somebody else's veggie garden is "offensive". Heaven forbid she be able to grow her own food. Maybe we should all have to get government permission to have a garden. They can tell us where, how big, and exactly what we should grow. It's a slippery slope, but we are headed there.

Besides, raised beds are totally practical, and result in less time weeding.
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #5  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

I thought her yard looked fine.

This is why my husband and I refuse to buy a house in a suburb, when we're ready to purchase one. Home owners associations can demand people have a certain numbers of hedges, and even what color flowers a person can and cannot have! It's ridiculous. But at least then a person knows what they are signing on for when they move in. I can't understand why the government would spend time and money on a woman's front yard veggie garden. =/

Last edited by TheBunneh; 07-09-2011 at 11:37 AM.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #6  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

What sticks out to me in the picture is not the garden beds, but the lack of grass around them. Other articles mentioned that her front lawn was torn up because of work on a sewer pipe, and that she decided not to replant a grass lawn, but to do the vegetable garden instead.

Now, I think that the urban/suburban cultural requirement of having that beautifully manicured grass lawn just because it looks "nice" is a striking example of how irrational we humans are. But things are the way they are--showing up at a 5-star restaurant in flip-flops and cut-off jean shorts is not likely to net good results--and the same, unfortunately, for electing to do something other than have a green-grass lawn these days.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #7  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

By the way, this reminds me of this other article from last year, in which a California couple was sued by the city for removing their lawn to save water:
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar...awn2-2010mar02
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #8  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumire View Post
By the way, this reminds me of this other article from last year, in which a California couple was sued by the city for removing their lawn to save water:
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar...awn2-2010mar02

I find that sickening. What's wrong with having a lawn landscaped without grass if you live in an area that requires so much water to keep grass alive? I don't get it?

I remember when I was in Arizona people had lawns landscaped with gravel and rocks all over and it looked fine!

Last edited by TheBunneh; 07-09-2011 at 11:52 AM.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #9  
In love with...THE GYM!!

There is also a fb page concerning this if anyone is interested.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oak-Pa...84553881597878
Old 07-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

We've come a long way from Victory Gardens, haven't we?
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #11  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I didn't read the whole article but was there a reason she couldn't do it in her backyard? I wouldn't want to go out my front and see that, seriously...it just looks messy to me.

And as far as HOA's go I love them, sort of. The point of them is to keep the neighborhood/subdivision but looking like a s*ithole. I for one wuld not want to live next to someone who has trash all over their yard or junky vehicles up on blocks in the driveway etc. At the same time, I don'tneed anyone telling me what color I can paint my house or asking if I can build a patio/deck. A friend lived in one that stated they can't park their cars in the driveway...have to be parked in the garage and other stupid stuff. You just have to get the rules before you buy a house in a subdivison that has HOA's.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #12  
small goals

S/C/G: 241/171/150

Height: 5'6"

There are many zoning laws in some areas of the country. They were created for a reason. People do not have the right to break the law. So she wants a garden, the guy three houses down decides to put in rabbit hutches in his front yard, the lady across the street decides to display a piece of her artwork that is made of of rusty cars, next block over, they decided to put in a hot tub in the front yard, and yet another neighbor decides to put in all concrete in the front yard and paint it pink. Get my drift? Who decides? The laws are already there, it's already been decided. I doubt anyone posting on here want THEIR property values brought down because everybody gets to do whatever they want. It should be in the back, or they need to move to an area that doesn't ordinances like that, you can't have the best of all situations, and still do whatever the heck you want. Some neighborhoods are much pickier than that, like no boats/motorcycles/recreational vehicles parked in view, only certain colors of paint can be used.
People like to find things like this and rant about the government, but they often would be the first to complain if it happened on their block, if their neighbor decided to put in playground equipment and rather than use the back yard (which is much larger) fill up the small front yard.
gonnadoitthistime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #13  
small goals

S/C/G: 241/171/150

Height: 5'6"

BTW, I know area, the backyards are about four to five times the size of the front yards, so it seems she was not simply about having a garden.
gonnadoitthistime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I find it HILARIOUS that she could take all those green plants with a veggie on them...

remove the veggie and stick a flower on it and all would be ok....

FYI ~ doesn't look like she has an HOA and if you see the video of the city official trying to explain what is and isn't suitable...well...it is pretty silly really...

an eyesore...come on.....

maybe not Beverly Hills...but an eyesore....

pleeeezzzzz

Last edited by EZMONEY; 07-09-2011 at 08:55 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #15  
In love with...THE GYM!!

You know what? I think those darn blow up Christmas decorations are eyesores!! Can I complain about that and have those all removed? My gosh, what are we becoming?

Last edited by julie99s; 07-09-2011 at 09:03 PM.